Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,859 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:25 PM

4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend (25808 Views)

Videos Of Asisat Oshoala And Ngozi Okobi’s Amazing Goals In Europe Last Weekend / Nigeria Vs Guinea: 5 Things We Learnt As Super Eagles Qualify For Round Of 16 / What We Learned From The English Premier League Last Weekend (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by yahe1: 4:01pm On Aug 17, 2017
Do you seek an ambient apartment at the heart of Lagos mainland?

Do you work or school on the Island, Yaba, Surulere, Ebute-Metta, UNILAG, Yabatech and environs?

And you reside in Ikorodu, Iyana Ipaja, Agbado, Egbeda, Ikotun, Badagry, Ipaja, Lekki, Ajah, Epe, and other outskirt of Lagos but need an accommodation situated on the mainland closer to work or school

A room within a 2 bedroom flat around Adekunle Bus stop, Yaba is available for ONLY genuine, responsible and reliable individual ‎with honest place of work or school

The flat is all en-suite and with shared with a co-tenant at almost peanut price!

Call Rachael on 08187428339...
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by Homeboiy: 4:02pm On Aug 17, 2017
reading

mods have gone crazy
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by ElSherriff: 4:02pm On Aug 17, 2017
Since he is your god, call on him to come rescue you. As if, if it was the entrance to any other Nigerian's ward it would have been permissible.
Childish and cheap.

repimpim:
This the entrance of majority leader of the sanate ward (AHMAD I LAWAN) at Gashua YOBE STATE
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by xtremeTall(m): 4:03pm On Aug 17, 2017
coolxtremely true
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by angelboy01(m): 4:06pm On Aug 17, 2017
Opinionated:

The English Premier League is the most watched professional league in the world not because it houses the best defence, midfield or even attack but somehow through its organized chaos, it has become a chocolate bar of surprises and unpredictability that fans love either as those fortunate enough to pour through stadium gates or those who watch with the good old remote in one hand and a bowl of popcorn in the other on a hot Saturday afternoon.

Match Day One served a timely reminder as why that might be. Chaos remained the watchword and viewers got the spoils of it much to their entertainment while the following lessons were picked up.

Same Arsenal but Maybe with a Little Tweak

The Gunners were direct against Leicester City and by full time it felt like the familiar season-tale story of starting strong, falling apart mid-way, then rallying back to get as much spoils to hang on and not stay empty handed. Only this time it was a surmised within 90 minutes.

One positive is Lacazette’s performance not because it took him 94 seconds to open his account but mostly his overall movement and the shape he added to Arsenal’s attack. His quick feet and ability to ghost behind opposition defence will be very valuable as long as those behind him slot in through passes for the former Lyon man to chase.

In Giroud, Wenger is sure of a super-sub that offers his squad a firm plan B should less sophisticated teams decide to put their men behind the ball. Also, for the fact that the Professor could accommodate both French strikers at this same time on the pitch, with Lacazette shifting to the left, offers a hybrid attack line. A valuable weapon for a league as stubborn as England’s.

Coutinho Remains Central to Liverpool’s Fate

Granted, Jurgen Klopp’s attack did a nice job on Saturday, with the defence having a filled dish of blames for their inability to hold-off Watford, limbo habitant Phillipe Coutinho still remains crucial to The Red’s net fortunes this season.

Say what you will about Joel Matip and Dejan Lovren but even the best defences in world football hardly cope if those in front of them fail to sustain pressure on their opposite numbers. Coutinho is the kind of player whose presence compels teams to pay more attention to their back-line, something that abates the tendency to surge forward in droves and leave pockets of space behind.

With Barcelona hell-bent on replacing Neymar with his compatriot and although Coutinho handed in a transfer request 24 hours to Liverpool’s season opener, the absence of a buy-out clause in his contract means as long as the miniature Brazilian does not go rogue ala Diego Costa, the bargaining chip remains in their favour.

They really need to hang on to that guy.

Chelsea are in Bed with Self-destruction

The Abrahamovic-owned club enter this season as defending champions and like Leicester did last time, appear only interested in proving the age long adage that ‘managing success is harder than attaining it’.

One glance at The Blues’ sub-list and you will be forgiven for thinking they were playing in some U-21 NextGen Series cup. The gods of soccer might have favoured Antonio Conte with an injury free squad last season but with the shallow mess of a squad at his disposal right now plus Champions League engagements, the deities’ seemingly washing their hands off his case spells stark doom.

With an injury depleted squad, a callow bench, a reckless captain and undisciplined midfield veteran, Chelsea’s horror display against Burnley was inevitable. Figuring out how a club owned by a happy spender as Abrahamovic can be so passive in the transfer market is like explaining the possibility of a fish dying of thirst.

This is plain old self-sabotage at best.

Mourinho has a “Now Or Never” Squad

They call it the second season spell, Mourinho’s success at the second year of nearly every club he has coached. If you’re a skeptic, you can laugh it off but before you do, check out his records at Chelsea, Inter Milan, Real Madrid and Chelsea once more.

The Red Devil’s poetic 4-0 hammering of The Hammers on Sunday afternoon might as well have set up Manchester United as a potential candidate for the list above.

United have spent over half a billion pounds in a bid to return to the perch Sir Alex Ferguson toiled for decades to place them yet, it is safe to admit that despite all their transfer expenses, hardly were they complete as a squad. The lopsidedness was always apparent until now.

With Eric Bailly’s arrival last summer and Victor Lindelof’s last month, Nemanja Matic’s scoop from Chelsea and Romelu Lukaku who has proven he can turn the painful draws of last season into wins, Man United now look like a team observers will struggle to point out a chink within its armoury ranks. That is the kind of team that wins championships. It is now or never.

source: http://www.opinions.ng/4-things-learnt-epl-last-weekend/

cc: lalasticlala mynd44

Ibere okin so ni se afi eni toba fori ti dopin. Chelsea starred bad last season and they won the league. A game won't judge the end of epl. Let us wait and see what happens at the middle of the season so all haters can shut up then. Chelsea 4 ever.

Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by Edenoscar(m): 4:11pm On Aug 17, 2017
flamee:
I was so happy when Chelsea lost to an underdog grin Shame on dem.
are you happy we lost the game or losing to an underdog
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by nkemdi89(f): 4:11pm On Aug 17, 2017
The only lesson learnt, when booking game on bet9naija, don't ever stake on Chelsea and Liverpool, because they will make you convert you bet slip to rizzler and wrap kwale weed out of frustration. Last week was tragic for most betting fans.

1 Like

Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by GreyLaw(m): 4:12pm On Aug 17, 2017
alexistaiwo:
I am a Chelsea fan but here's the four things I learned from this weekend matches

1. Chelsea can't defend their title
2. Manchester United are only experiencing a false start, they will soon lose form
3. Arsenal and Liverpool, nothing to say about those ones. They are perennial disappointments
4. Tottenham will win the league

Well it is only my opinion.
What do I know

I respect your opinion, however, Tottenham can not win the league, at least, not this current campaign. They have never had a deep squad, and it's even worse this season.

The league may likely be between the Manchester clubs, but Man U seems the more rugged team out of the two.

Man U had a fair team last term, and now they have plugged the obvious holes. It's not a false start; they have put their house in order. It will henceforth be difficult to get away from Old Trafford with a draw, especially for less sophisticated teams.

I'm a Chelsea fan. I hope we get it right. Matic's sale was a huge blunder, and the Costa issue is not being handled properly.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by Princeboca12(m): 4:12pm On Aug 17, 2017
KingLennon:
Please before the transfer window ends, if chelsea have another player or coach that the name starts with letter 'M'. They can sell to us grin.....Manchester united for EPL 2017/2018

Musonda and Mumutinho. choose any
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by IamKingwise(m): 4:13pm On Aug 17, 2017
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by Nobody: 4:15pm On Aug 17, 2017
GreyLaw:

I respect your opinion, however, Tottenham can not win the league, at least, not this current campaign. They have never had a deep squad, and it's even worse this season.

The league may likely be between the Manchester clubs, but Man U seems a more rugged team out of the two.

I'm a Chelsea fan.

See you next year.
Bookmark this page
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by olanreyman(m): 4:16pm On Aug 17, 2017
Liverpool will win the league cool
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by Lolaabokoku(f): 4:19pm On Aug 17, 2017
Hashimyussufamao:
Pls How many of una disc0vered dis same thread was double at the FP
#nairaland!!!
#man_u all d way sha!
indeed, a good reason why I opened it
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by Nobody: 4:20pm On Aug 17, 2017
I NID XPLANATN 4 DZ

Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by GreyLaw(m): 4:23pm On Aug 17, 2017
alexistaiwo:
See you next year. Bookmark this page
Alright, deal.
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by sandland: 4:29pm On Aug 17, 2017
All comments about man Utd is not because they won 4-0, but because of how they archived that. Again the depth in the squad.
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by maysimsimple(m): 4:31pm On Aug 17, 2017
Lol

=nkemdi89 post=59566987]The only lesson learnt, when booking game on bet9naija, don't ever stake on Chelsea and Liverpool, because they will make you convert you bet slip to rizzler and wrap kwale weed out of frustration. Last week was tragic for most betting fans. [/quote]
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by olatemmie13(m): 4:36pm On Aug 17, 2017
Morata to ti baje

grin grin grin grin grin grin

IffaCatchYouEhn:
Translate this English sentence to Yoruba

I bought pepper that is not good

grin
grin
grin
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by loomer: 4:38pm On Aug 17, 2017
One game una Don get conclusion
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by Sirheny007(m): 5:03pm On Aug 17, 2017
flamee:
I was so happy when Chelsea lost to an underdog grin Shame on dem.

Who are the underdog??
Hope say no be Arsenal.. undecided
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by gentlegenius(m): 5:05pm On Aug 17, 2017
Abfinest007:
man u don't have now or never squad you are wrong bcus is not how u start but how u end chelsea didn't start well last season but they won d league
What he said is correct. If Mourinho can't win the league with this squad, he may never be able to win it again.

1 Like

Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by placeofallure(f): 5:44pm On Aug 17, 2017
Roon9:
"Chelsea in bed with destruction"? Rubbish! Just after one poor game everyone has decided to throw the team under the bus. A team that's without 4 first team players.... Barça lost just one and we all know how the story is going.

I so much believe in Conte and I feel there's a wicked conspiracy to discredit his achievements with the team. As for Diego Costa, I pray chelsea deal with him accordingly

Now the train is moving to another destination. grin Watching with amusement. So Chelsea too can swallow this pill? If Arsenal loses one game or even a draw, the way people will go about it as if heaven wanna fall. Sometimes I wonder if everyone isn't Arsenal the way they take paracetamol over somebody else's headache. Such is life bros. Just see it as one of those things. Gunners for Life!
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by georginho10(m): 6:05pm On Aug 17, 2017
Roon9:
"Chelsea in bed with destruction"? Rubbish! Just after one poor game everyone has decided to throw the team under the bus. A team that's without 4 first team players.... Barça lost just one and we all know how the story is going.

I so much believe in Conte and I feel there's a wicked conspiracy to discredit his achievements with the team. As for Diego Costa, I pray chelsea deal with him accordingly

deal with him? what was his offence..... abi conte has made it clear he is not in his plan this season...... abeg face ur lane
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by 1bunne4lif(m): 6:11pm On Aug 17, 2017
Faulty analysis, just because Chelsea lost a match? You need to look well. This is TRASH
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by Ejomax77(m): 6:14pm On Aug 17, 2017
9jvirgin:
It is too early to make assumptions. You cannot decide a whole season by one match, football does not work that way.

Chelsea has won 6 trophies since 2012 and just a match should not warrant this trash.

lol
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by Franchise21(m): 6:18pm On Aug 17, 2017
KingLennon:
Please before the transfer window ends, if chelsea have another player or coach that the name starts with letter 'M'. They can sell to us grin.....Manchester united for EPL 2017/2018
Morata grin
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by Ejomax77(m): 6:20pm On Aug 17, 2017
Edenoscar:

are you happy we lost the game or losing to an underdog
nah wah o.... the person clearly state say e happy seh chelsea lose to underdog you stil dey ask jamb question
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by Edenoscar(m): 6:40pm On Aug 17, 2017
Ejomax77:
nah wah o.... the person clearly state say e happy seh chelsea lose to underdog you stil dey ask jamb question
see me see wahala oo
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by humblenature: 6:48pm On Aug 17, 2017
alexistaiwo:
I am a Chelsea fan but here's the four things I learned from this weekend matches

1. Chelsea can't defend their title
2. Manchester United are only experiencing a false start, they will soon lose form
3. Arsenal and Liverpool, nothing to say about those ones. They are perennial disappointments
4. Tottenham will win the league

Well it is only my opinion.
What do I know
i said this a long time ago but i have a second tot.. totenham do not have the fear factor so man u will knick it
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by damoneyman007: 7:04pm On Aug 17, 2017
This looks lik its gona b for City or united but I will slightly pick city as d favorites dou. Dat aside dis is EPL . Its never fully predictable.
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by freeage7(m): 7:26pm On Aug 17, 2017
Riosystem:
Every one want to talk,Op get lost.Which chelsea is in bed with self destruction? We are chelsea defending champions of EPL.Loosing to Burnley is no big deal Ok.
Op do not know how to analyze football. So please don't take him seriously.
Re: 4 Things We Learnt From The EPL Last Weekend by douchesnozzle(m): 7:28pm On Aug 17, 2017
I hope u can defend this nonsense by December

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Manchester United Ready To Sell Paul Pogba In January! / Obituary: Burial Poster Of Christian Jacob / EPL: How Ronaldo Blocked Man Utd From Appointing Conte As New Manager

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.