Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,034 members, 7,818,056 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:11 AM

The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria (11814 Views)

Top 10 Astonishing Miracles (international) / Your Thoughts On Mountain Of Fire And Miracles Church / Synagogue Church Of All Nations Caught Selling Fake Miracles In Britain (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by donnie(m): 12:33pm On Feb 09, 2006
I am not pushing my beliefs down anyone's throat. That is not my responsibility but the Holy Spirit's.

But i will not let ignorance make nonsense of the power of God that is in the gospel of Jesus Christ. I will only obey my Lord and Speak!

Thnk you
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by allonym: 10:45am On Feb 17, 2006
donnie:

I am not pushing my beliefs down anyone's throat. That is not my responsibility but the Holy Spirit's.

But i will not let ignorance make nonsense of the power of God that is in the gospel of Jesus Christ. I will only obey my Lord and Speak!

Thnk you

You will not let ignorance make nonsense of the power of God. . . eeh , and what is it that you are doing?
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by Ajisafe: 9:44am On May 03, 2006
I'm not a celestial, infact i'm a winner but i'll like to advice that u don't talk or blasphem againt any church. The bible says the church is the body of Christ so be it.

And you're "bisiriyu"? Hmmmm!
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by Ajisafe: 10:10am On May 03, 2006
Last year, joftech, one of the regulars on nairaland, asked: "Are the Nigerian Pastors Deceiving Nigrians"? I tried my best to shed some lights on these bad eggs in our society who go about preaching lies and screaming miracles in order to make a buck! Here are excerpts:

"The majority of them (flocks) are poor! I remember, in Sanngo, Ibadan, in those days when Obadare would lock the whole place down for months, saying that he was doing "deliverance." We would go there to watch them -- believe me, my brother, the sight was always unpalatable (destitutes all over; pungent odours -- argh!). On top of this, the Ibadan residents suffered the economic hardship, as every 10kobo coin in Ibadan had found its way inside hundreds of "gorodomu" empty petroleum barrels that Obadare's henchmen had placed in strategic locations in the area. The market women and danfo drivers gave the residents unspeakable hell, as they were ready to blame everything on Pastor Obadare's "gorodomu" empty petroleum barrels. This man did these for years, claiming that he could wake the dead, straighten the lame, and even restore the blind's eyesights. Hmmmm! I think he himself is still blind till date? Charity begins at home! How many lame and blind still roam the streets of Ibadan today after decades of "crusades"?
"Pastor Obadare is still alive. Call him to join the forum; I'll tell him the place, date, and time! I was not a child when Reverend T.O. Iyanda used to spray the "I found it -- Mo ti rii" pamphlets from a helicopter, disturbing the peace and quiet of Ibadan residents and claiming that he could cure them of all ailments. I personally knew one Olumide boy -- a born Christian who had been lame since birth (his mother used to sell amala at Ayedade, Elekuro opposite Medina bus stop in Ibadan). He went up the rostrum at the end of the month-long "crusade" to complain that he was still the same as he was before the begining of the "deliverance." T. O. Iyanda's guys told him and others to leave the stage. When confronted by the newshounds, T. O. Iyanda said that those people were not real Christians and, so, it would be difficult for the "holy ghost" to descend upon them. Olumide cried  and cried, saying he was a real Christian. Call Abiara of Agbala Itura (why would I lie?) and ask him to join the forum; I'll remind him of the "Gbajue/4-1-9" guys that came to him for prayers, but ended up swindling him of a huge sum of money -- at the time when naira was heavier than American dollar. Who doesn't remember the late Idahosa whose preaching was focused on nothing but riches. Correct me if I lie! We all remember how he went around (both at home and abroad) in limos, sporting expensive wears and jeweleries. Didn't he frequently claim that his own God was not a poor God? There was a time Idahosa occupied the entire Olubadan Stadium for two months or so; to everybody's chagrin, after announcing that the amount of salvation would be equal to how much money the "gullibles" could donate, he categorically refused to take nothing less than #5 (five naira) from each "gullible" at the "crusade." NOTE TO YOUNGER READERS: five naira then was a lot of money. In circa 1995, just few years before his death in 1998, Benson Idahosa boasted in the presence of a lot of people, to have had about 950 (nine hundred and fifty) pieces of expensive suits. A friend of mine told me the story. I believed him because he was the one that picked Idahosa up from the Dulles Airport, Virginia-Washington, DC, and he was present when Idahosa made those claims. We know everything about Chris Okotie who, after failing musically (Chris Okotie used to sing and produce music with his jerry curls in those days; I think he released one record or more professionally), professed to have been touched  by the "holy ghost." He later founded his own "new breed" church/ministry. You all know how rich he is today. I think some of you are even suggesting that he should run for president.      Internationally, we even know of shady individuals like Jerry Falwell, Benny Hinn, Bohnke and a host of other evangelicals, but I'll leave them alone for now insofar as this topic only questions if pastors deceive Nigerians. If you like we can start a new thread about this anomaly, so widely prevalent that it's international!"
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by donnie(m): 5:29pm On May 03, 2006
Nonsense! , makes no spritual sense.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by Ajisafe: 6:30pm On May 03, 2006
Nonsense! , makes no spritual sense.

donnie,
I know how touchy you can get when it comes to people criticizing dubious pastors and miracle-working liars because you're one yourself.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by jagunlabi(m): 7:04pm On May 03, 2006
Unverified miracles?How does one begin to verify the authenticity of miracles?Methinks that the verifications should be left to the naive individuals who believe in them.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by Ajisafe: 7:40pm On May 03, 2006
Jagunlabi is right on the money! The "naive individuals" who "follow-follow" them are only wasting their time.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by owo(m): 3:01am On May 07, 2006
Date: september 25,1987

Event: my immediate younger brother, slumped and died, became stiff, teeth clenched , stracthed and cold.
mum, a senior nurse confirmed that he's dead.

Mum and her sister prayed in Jesus' name and the boy sneezed and came back to life after some hours.

If your god cannot heal, raise the dead or do miraculous deeds, mine - JEHOVAH - can.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by Ajisafe: 10:22am On May 07, 2006
"Na 'giri' come catch your brotha wey you think say he die," Your brother suffered nothing but shock.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by allonym: 3:41am On May 09, 2006
Wow, assuming your story is true, there is 17 years between you and your "immediate" younger brother.

owo:

Date: september 25,1987

Event: my immediate younger brother, slumped and died, became stiff, teeth clenched , stracthed and cold.
mum, a senior nurse confirmed that he's dead.

Mum and her sister prayed in Jesus' name and the boy sneezed and came back to life after some hours.

If your God cannot heal, raise the dead or do miraculous deeds, mine - JEHOVAH - can.

owo's profile:

Local Time: May 09, 2006, 03:41 AM
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by DaHitler(m): 3:46am On May 09, 2006
Its a miracle that we got invaded and brutalized by the Arabs and British and we are now all Muslims and Christians. Even though our economy sucks, our leaders are thieves, God is still Great!! Amiright?
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by drtess(f): 12:00pm On May 19, 2006
grin
Hello everyone, i'm pretty new to this site but the topic caught my attention and i decided that i would contribute to this topic.
First of all, after reading all your comments, i would like to suggest to you all TO GROW UP AND STICK TO THE TOPIC OF DISCUSSION.
What i can observe here is a couple of people with their own different beliefs trying to impose it on others.

The topic is on the Ban on showing miracles on T.V . I think the NBC was wrong to do that because if you take a look at the NBC's rules and regulation there was no cause or decree to that effect.

Anyway let God be God!!!

God does deal and is interested in the affairs of men.

I believe strongly in "TIME".

As the apostle said in the bible "Time will always prove itself and the truth will always stand the test of time".

Have a nice day and let us always stay with the topic and not digress from it.

WE ARE ALL GOD'S CREATION whether we likew it or not.

PEACE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! smiley wink
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by allonym: 7:15am On May 20, 2006
drtess:

The topic is on the Ban on showing miracles on T.V . I think the NBC was wrong to do that because if you take a look at the NBC's rules and regulation there was no cause or decree to that effect.

If NBC is banning something, then they have just created a rule or decree to that effect. Perhaps in your reading of their rules and regulations, you unintentionally ignored the one that said - "We are banning the broadcast of unverified miracles on our stations".
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by donnie(m): 10:08am On May 20, 2006
Question:

Do you have details of circumstances surrounding the ban or details of occurencies before and after the ban was imposed?

They are not being sincere; they are not concerned about any verification whatsoever.

Whatever policies or decrees any government makes should be in conformity to the existing law. A policy or ban is not legal just because a few in government think it is.

Besides, the laws governing the operations of the media in Nigeria are not what should be in a democracy. They are for a military system.

Their intention was to take miracles off our TVs and that they did.

But it shall be but for a while. When the Lord is ready, things will change and there is nothing any man would be able do about it.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by allonym: 5:37am On May 30, 2006
donnie:

Question:

Do you have details of circumstances surrounding the ban or details of occurencies before and after the ban was imposed?

They are not being sincere; they are not concerned about any verification whatsoever.

Whatever policies or decrees any government makes should be in conformity to the existing law. A policy or ban is not legal just because a few in government think it is.

Besides, the laws governing the operations of the media in Nigeria are not what should be in a democracy. They are for a military system.

Their intention was to take miracles off our TVs and that they did.

But it shall be but for a while. When the Lord is ready, things will change and there is nothing any man would be able do about it.

Ok, strictly speaking, what is illegal about the ban?

NOTHING.

In order for the ban to be illegal, it would have to be in violation of an established law. Since there is no law that says a corporation MUST show miracles on tv, their ban on it on their stations cannot be illegal.

This is ridiculous, its like saying its illegal for your parents to ban alcohol comsumption in their house.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by ajia23(m): 6:29am On Jun 01, 2006
The truth is NBC was right to ban any kind of unverified miracles being televised. The National Broadcast Code, which is the document with full legal effect that governs broadcasting in Nigeria, clearly states that all religions should be given 10% of airtime. The prevailing situation of using valuable TV time for showing 'miracles' that are an obvious lie, surely derives from the lack of manpower on the part of NBC to enforce that particular legislation. If the 10 % was strictly adhered to, I am sure 'miracles'as a marketing tool will be downplayed or eliminated by the churches that advertise on TV. At least now with the ban, the churches will reduce the lenght of their programmes and consequently tailor them to evangelising with brevity, which serves the purpose of the NBC at maintaining the 10% religious content which has consistently been flouted by most of the TV stations in Nigeria.

It is instructive to note that in Kenya just last week,a woman who tried to copy the Nigerian Pastors was recommended by their first lady, for investigation by the police, of fraud by claiming to heal HIV/AIDS by miracles etc. Promptly she was indeed investigated and charged to court on those charges. This is what should happen in sane societies. Nigeria ought not to be an exception. I will implore the Nigerian police to do their jobs so that NBC will not even need to issue that kind fof directive. Any pastor that lays claim to healing by miracles, and uses this to attract and defraud people should be made to face the full wrath of the law.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by donnie(m): 3:22pm On Jun 01, 2006
ajia23:

The truth is NBC was right to ban any kind of unverified miracles being televised.The National Broadcast Code, which is the document with full legal effect that governs broadcasting in Nigeria, clearly states that all religions should be given 10% of airtime.

The real issue is if such a code is consistent with a democratic situation as we have in nigeria. There is such a thing as freedom of expression, the freedom to hold whatever relious beliefs you choose as long as they do not infringe on the rights of others. Like i said, those codes associated with the media are for the military dictatorship kind of government and not for a democracy. There is need for a change and brother, that change aint far away.

The church are not the only ones affected. I read in the papers where an NBC official siad they had recieved so far over 250 applications for licences for TV and radio. According to him, the applications have since been assesed and fowarded to the presidency for approval. There is the need to have a more independednt media in our nation. One without overbearing government influeance.

ajia23:

At least now with the ban, the churches will reduce the lenght of their programmes and consequently tailor them to evangelising with brevity, which serves the purpose of the NBC at maintaining the 10% religious content which has consistently been flouted by most of the TV stations in Nigeria.

Well, since the bann, not only have the length of our programs been increased, we now show daily on almost every TV staion in the country. We have become so much more influencial than ever before. When we hold programs now, the entire nation is aware. They know something is happening. So who wins? satan or the church?

In April, 3.5 million people gathered to hear God's Word at the mouth of his prophet and satan could do nothing about it.

ajia23:

It is instructive to note that in Kenya just last week,a woman who tried to copy the Nigerian Pastors was recommended by their first lady, for investigation by the police, of fraud by claiming to heal HIV/AIDS by miracles etc. Promptly she was indeed investigated and charged to court on those charges. This is what should happen in sane societies. Nigeria ought not to be an exception. I will implore the Nigerian police to do their jobs so that NBC will not even need to issue that kind fof directive. Any pastor that lays claim to healing by miracles, and uses this to attract and defraud people should be made to face the full wrath of the law.

Well pity, because they have already done their investigations and found them to be true. Sane societies indeed.  Are they more sane than those in South Africa, Europe and America where we have our programs showing daily? We own satelite stations airing from  Europe, south Africa and Togo to the rest of the world. We hold meetings around the world with several thousands in attendance.

God has given us this country for our possesion and he will continue to increase our influence in the land. Righteousness will prevail. The wicked will have their influence taken from them. Time is up for the devil , o glory to God!
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by donnie(m): 4:28pm On Jun 01, 2006
Hey guys i got some juicy, free downloadables here:

http://www.rhapsodyofrealities.org/

http://www.christembassy.org/eng/3daysa/index.htm

http://www.loveworldchristiannetwork.org

ajia23, u can also take a look; perhaps you could see why the NBC are too small to be a problem.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by ajia23(m): 1:59pm On Jun 02, 2006
You know, I watch Christembassy's programs on Sundays here in Nairobi. I actually take it as a form of panacea to the nostalgia that I sometimes fell. I am not against airing religious programs, I am just saying, miracles should not be part of the advertisement that churches put on TV to win followership. Many Miracles are a farce today.

Yes, the boadcasting code should be reviewed in line with our progress as a nation, but freedom to sell lies should not be allowed. It's not NBC that's the problem, it's the minds of those who are been beguiled. Eventually, they'll realise and that will spell doom for the perpetrators of this deception.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by donnie(m): 2:08pm On Jun 02, 2006
what have MTV, CNN, WWF, and the rest been selling to u all this while? lies; but you do not know.

Miracles come through the Word of God. To deny people the freedom to openly testify of the work of God in their lives is a crime not just against christains or humanity, but against God.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by ajia23(m): 1:58pm On Jun 03, 2006
@ donnie
It's good you noticed that CNN, MTV and WWF are selling lies to us. But the interesting thing is that these stations are also banned by the NBC from being shown over terrestrial TV in Nigeria. You can however pay to get these lies on DSTV or tother satelite channels. So may be you should go on DSTV to sell your miracles.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by donnie(m): 12:43pm On Jun 05, 2006
Well, we are already on DSTV and several other satelites around the world thank you.

On April 14th, the whole world witnessed the demonstration of the supernatural live via satelite and on the internet.

Satan is a foolish looser.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by ajia23(m): 9:06pm On Jun 05, 2006
@ onnie
Please tell me what this miracle was about?
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by donnie(m): 7:49am On Jun 06, 2006
read ur bible
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by ijebuman(m): 1:43pm On Jun 06, 2006
donnie:

To deny people the freedom to openly testify of the work of God in their lives is a crime not just against christains or humanity, but against God.

The same argument could be made for the discriminatory sex law which obviously infringes on the rights of a minority of Nigerians. But I'm sure you support that smiley
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by ajia23(m): 8:16pm On Jun 06, 2006
@ Donnie
I told you to tell me what the live miracle was, you said I should read my bible? That's queer.

@ Ijebuman
U sure are right about that.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by allonym: 7:55am On Jun 26, 2006
ajia23:

@ Donnie
I told you to tell me what the live miracle was, you said I should read my bible? That's queer.

Maybe the miracle was they taught a man how to read.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by ajia23(m): 10:39am On Jun 27, 2006
LOL Allonym. I guess you are right. It's just that I sometimes wonder how people could be so blind to see, so dumb to hear and so stupid to discern, inspite of their God given gifts.
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by socool1(f): 12:21am On Jun 29, 2006
angry
Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by Reverend(m): 12:23am On Jun 29, 2006
Apply now online!

Free miracle with every application!

Re: The NBC ban of unverified TV miracles in Nigeria by retro(f): 9:31pm On Jun 29, 2006
Reverend:

Apply now online!

Free miracle with every application!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. I'm going to have a cheek attack. Hahahahahahaha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Some Funny Churches Name. / Meet God's Generals / Atheism Vs Deism (vs Theism)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.