Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,988 members, 7,835,317 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:36 AM

Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? (1469 Views)

Caption This Picture Of Fmr Pres. Obasanjo And Fmr Pres. J Carter. / Iyabo Obasanjo Walking With Daugther Of Fmr American President,jimmy Carter.pics / What Obasanjo Really Tore Up - Abimbola Adelakun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by Gentlebabs(m): 1:24am On Feb 18, 2010
Tracing the political history of our great nation, filled with great people (Spirit of Rebranding), can we say Fmr. President Olusegun Obasamjo is really bad.

Let us analyse and reason logically and make submissions that can be pondered upon, giving his role since the traumatic regime of military dictatorship and now to the newly enthroned democracy.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by Nobody: 1:49am On Feb 18, 2010
The whole OBJ is the biggest trouble with Nigeria is one of the most regrettable and uninformed vicious myth of our generation.

It was deisgned by hopeless public officers scared of their own record and will rather blame others for their failures.

I think the fact that it really got traction emphasizes the need for more education, imformation management and institutionalization of records. So that when people come to office and choose to distort the records of their predecessors so that they will have such a low standard to be benchmarked against. We can tell them sorry you are not too smart.

Imagine what Nigeria would have been if . . . . . . .

Alliyu Modibbo concentrated on building on El-Rufai's records and improving Abuja rather than attacking his predecessors (Guess what the so called 32 billion Alliyu Modibbo accused El-Rufai of stealing was confirmed by Minister of State Remi Babalola to be in FCT account). You all know the Abuja El-Rufai left in 2007 and what Abuja is today.

The same is the story of Waziri at EFCC and Ribadu. Instead of fighting corruption Waziri was focused on Ribadu and accused him of not declaring his assets. after months and months of battling Ribadu, the Code of Conduct Tribunal led by Constance Momoh has admitted that actually Ribadu declared his assets before becoming EFCC chairman and after he left EFCC. Guess what? they still want to arrest Ribadu in other to declare him innocent. only in Nigeria.

Look at the Independent power project. They were at an advanced stage before OBJ left office. When he left The Yar'adua Government accused OBJ of spending 32 Billion on power project without achieving nothing. It turns out after months and months of probing OBJ and wasting everyone's time. only about less than 5billion was spent and there are actually power plants to show for that expenditure in various parts of the country as well the sea port waiting to be moved to where they are to be installed. But instead of continuity the Yar'adua government chose Politics over Progress.

and there are lots of examples like this. I don't want to mention the banks because the debates on that front are still fresh and the mistakes are yet to manifest themselves.

OBJ has his faults, but OBJ's goods far outweigh his ills. I think he is the best leader Nigeria has seen so far.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by Gekko(m): 2:24am On Feb 18, 2010
mikeansy:

The whole OBJ is the biggest trouble with Nigeria is one of the most regrettable and uninformed vicious myth of our generation.

It was deisgned by hopeless public officers scared of their own record and will rather blame others for their failures.

I think the fact that it really got traction emphasizes the need for more education, imformation management and institutionalization of records. So that when people come to office and choose to distort the records of their predecessors so that they will have such a low standard to be benchmarked against. We can tell them sorry you are not too smart.

Alliyu Modibbo concentrated on building on El-Rufai's records and improving Abuja rather than attacking his predecessors (Guess what the so called 32 billion Alliyu Modibbo accused El-Rufai of stealing was confirmed by Minister of State Remi Babalola to be in FCT account). You all know the Abuja El-Rufai left in 2007 and what Abuja is today.

The same is the story of Waziri at EFCC and Ribadu. Instead of fighting corruption Waziri was focused on Ribadu and accused him of not declaring his assets. after months and months of battling Ribadu, the Code of Conduct Tribunal led by Constance Momoh has admitted that actually Ribadu declared his assets before becoming EFCC chairman and after he left EFCC. Guess what? they still want to arrest Ribadu in other to declare him innocent. only in Nigeria.

Look at the Independent power project. They were at an advanced stage before OBJ left office. When he left The Yar'adua Government accused OBJ of spending 32 Billion on power project without achieving nothing. It turns out after months and months of probing OBJ and wasting everyone's time. only about less than 5billion was spent and there are actually power plants to show for that expenditure in various parts of the country as well the sea port waiting to be moved to where they are to be installed. But instead of continuity the Yar'adua government chose Politics over Progress.

and there are lots of examples like this. I don't want to mention the banks because the debates on that front are still fresh and the mistakes are yet to manifest themselves.

OBJ has his faults, but OBJ's goods far outweigh his ills. I think he is the best leader Nigeria has seen so far.

Well stated. And I agree 100%. I doubt Yaradua's administration can boast of one single technocrat with worthy achievements.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by Gentlebabs(m): 2:58am On Feb 18, 2010
mikeansy Gbam! I think you are informed and i salute your understanding of how things are run here in Niger. I just think that it is from the black pot that the white pap comes out. I believe that one day, there will be a major revolution in this country which will birth transformation.

Most of what causes little fracas here in Nigeria is enough to cause war in other countries. The good news is that we will all witness this transformation which will be the story behind our glory.

Well spoken/written my brother, infact i duff my cap for you!
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by naijamini(m): 4:16am On Feb 18, 2010
@mikeansy
If I didn't know your writings I would say you were an agent (Gentlelabs is definitely one - deny now o) of Gen. Obasanjo. However, I would have to agree with you that Yar'adua should have built on the Obasanjo admins achievement instead of chasing phantom enemies.

On the other hand, half of the blame for Yar'adua belongs to Gen. Obasanjo, aided by the Obj/Atiku wars.

There are only two persons that have had the opportunity to put Nigeria on the path of greatness. One is Gen. Obasanjo, and the other is Babangida.

Gen. Obasanjo had two good opportunities to ensure his successor was good for NIGERIA. In his first round it was Shagari, a serious mistake he has acknowledged. However, his second try turned out to be even worse aka Yar'adua. Gen. Obasanjo is a good, in another country, perhaps a great General, but he plays politics as if it was soldiering, relying on expediency and self-preservation, instead of what the people need and want.

As for Babangida, he is a pure idiot - yes I said it! Somebody will come here to say that I am calling somebody's father names. Well, there are millions of other people's fathers that his pure idiocy has destroyed and sent to their early grave. I hope he knows to keep himself far away from Aso Rock.

So, no Gen. Obasanjo is not really bad. He his a good soldier, a farmer and brilliant individual, but a very bad judge of character. That achille's heel is threatening his potential place as a father of Nigeria - nobody is the father of a bad country. He has a way of forging compromise, but the choice of Nigeria's leaders should be kept away from him. The people must be allowed to choose their leader so they can hold him accountable.

mikeansy:

Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by canuck(m): 5:29am On Feb 18, 2010
If leadership evaluation was relative, then OBJ was a First Class President against the backdrop of President Yar'Adua and most other Nigerian heads of state.

However, leadership isn't relative, but is firmly rooted on sound, measurable, and timeless principles of vision, people development, productivity, trust and character - In which case, Baba Iyabo would be advised to withdraw for irredeemably and insuppressibly poor/deplorable performance!
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by Onlytruth(m): 5:51am On Feb 18, 2010
Obasanjo is the worst Nigerian leader of all time for being the MOST SELFISH of them all. This man had his paws on every deal in the country. Above all, he was UNSCRUPULOUS and never cared about democracy. He was also very devious and an expert at manipulating his political opponents. He empowered and protected CRIMINALS to run roughshod on the country, turning many peaceful regions into war zones, a typical example of which was my state Anambra. If Obasanjo had his way, he would have metamorphosed into a LIFE PRESIDENT. One of the few proud moments I have had as a Nigerian was when the national assembly under the leadership of Senator Ken Nnamani threw out his tenure elongation schemes.

Even the evil genius called IBB loved this country more than Obasanjo because he admitted his limitations and stepped aside. Obasanjo would have caused a war than step down if his term was not finished and he was roundly defeated by more honorable Nigerians. He was preparing to die in office! Everything Obasanjo did, he did for HIMSELF. As far as he is concerned, his love for Nigeria is synonymous with his love of himself. He didn't see any difference between the two. He was becoming the Nigerian state until he was reined in by morally superior and more patriotic Nigerians.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by oyinda3(f): 5:53am On Feb 18, 2010
the guy was a military president from mid to late 70s. just because he took off his uniform doesn't make him any better than he was back then.
i personally don't like him a whole lot.
i prefer yaradua to him.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by naijamini(m): 6:15am On Feb 18, 2010
As Prof. Wole Soyinka would say you are talking from the "four compass points of your mouth".

You can say what you want about Gen. Obasanjo, but please have the sense to see that IBB would always be a little worse. So Gen. Obasanjo never cared about democracy, but in your world IBB did? Please tell me how many coups Obasanjo conducted in Nigeria's history. So Gen. Obasanjo wanted to be a life President, and IBB didn't. IBB stepped aside only because Abacha made him. OBJ's ego-tripping third term agenda was stopped, as it should be, by the people and the Senate.

If we want to speak in absolutesm, then all soldiers that have ever taken the reign of government in Nigeria at any level, while in uniform, should be banned for life. Their extra wealth should be confisticated, including your hero, Ojukwu. But we know that is not going to happen now. They are (were) all in the same group. The lack of honor among thieves is the reason they are "enemies" at different points in time.

Onlytruth:

Obasanjo is the worst Nigerian leader of all time for being the MOST SELFISH of them all. This man had his paws on every deal in the country. Above all, he was UNSCRUPULOUS and never cared about democracy. He was also very devious and an expert at manipulating his political opponents. He empowered and protected CRIMINALS to run roughshod on the country, turning many peaceful regions into war zones, a typical example of which was my state Anambra. If Obasanjo had his way, he would have metamorphosed into a LIFE PRESIDENT. One of the few proud moments I have had as a Nigerian was when the national assembly under the leadership of Senator Ken Nnamani threw out his tenure elongation schemes.

Even the evil genius called IBB loved this country more than Obasanjo because he admitted his limitations and stepped aside. Obasanjo would have caused a war than step down if his term was not finished and he was roundly defeated by more honorable Nigerians. He was preparing to die in office! Everything Obasanjo did, he did for HIMSELF. As far as he is concerned, his love for Nigeria is synonymous with his love of himself. He didn't see any difference between the two. He was becoming the Nigerian state until he was reined in by morally superior and more patriotic Nigerians.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by Godalone(m): 8:55am On Feb 18, 2010
oyinda.:

the guy was a military president from mid to late 70s. just because he took off his uniform doesn't make him any better than he was back then.
i personally don't like him a whole lot.
i prefer yaradua to him.
A Nigerian can say this?
Onlytruth:

Even the evil genius called IBB loved this country more than Obasanjo
because he admitted his limitations and stepped aside. Obasanjo would have caused a war than step down if his term was not finished and he was roundly defeated by more honorable Nigerians. He was preparing to die in office! Everything Obasanjo did, he did for HIMSELF. As far as he is concerned, his love for Nigeria is synonymous with his love of himself. He didn't see any difference between the two. He was becoming the Nigerian state until he was reined in by morally superior and more patriotic Nigerians.
You are right,to the extent that IBB annulled June 12 election,You are not speaking the truth.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by youngmonie: 1:35pm On Feb 18, 2010
Thing people look at on dis nairaland is jus personal issues, he stole money finee, no politician doesnt steall, enforcing yaradua was a mistake for him nd look at it form the other side ( He actually wanted someone that wanted to contiue his policies) of whcih yar'adua because of the influence form the north could
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by youngmonie: 1:43pm On Feb 18, 2010
Most poeple on nairaland do not analyse this thing called politics before the post certian things,  Obj has been Nigerias best so far. Agree he was greedy and selfish, he stole money i agree 100 &1 %. Lets now look a the other side, his economic   policies in the  country, Obj opened Nigeria to the world. Go and look at all economic  indications under obj's adminintration. He had Nigeria finest  in his administration to drive the ecomonmy foward (excuse me with out good economic policies, no country can move forward) of  wch he did  nd his 3rd term agenda wasnt to be life president but to continue his economic polices and steal some more money. Nt realising the 3rd term, yaRADUA WAS MENT TO CONTINUE THE ECONOMIC POLICIES ( But all d influence fROM the North,hence he couldnt) Nd you dont expect him to repair a damage of of almost 40 yrs  in just 8yrs undecided. yaradua has been a nightmare so far ( Dats wht you get when u let people take hold of you) Obasanjo wasnt controlled by the alake of egabland  or the  awujale of ijebu land  or some elites from the west, but dat is exactly wht yaradu is doing
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by Afam(m): 9:44pm On Feb 18, 2010
OBJ remains the best president that has ruled this country in spite of his mistakes.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by naijaking1: 9:48pm On Feb 18, 2010
^^^
I agree.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by kosovo(m): 10:12pm On Feb 18, 2010
not really,
Afam:

OBJ remains the best president that has ruled this country in spite of his mistakes.
Thats a fallacy. . ., Obansajo is the reason why Nigeria is drawing the whole world backword, i can go ahead and butress my claims but there is no need for that, because i am sure everyone already knows who he is and what he did to this nation. . .
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by redsun(m): 10:39pm On Feb 18, 2010
BBC-Big Blind Country.In the country of the blind,theone eyed man is the Boss.Nigerian leaders up to present moment are nothing  but sub-humans,the scums of the earth with obasanjo at the helm.

I wonder why any rational individual will ever put them into positive perspective,unless of course he or she is benefiting from the horrors of leadership in nigeria.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by Afam(m): 10:51pm On Feb 18, 2010
redsun:

BBC-Big Blind Country.In the country of the blind,theone eyed man is the Boss.Nigerian leaders up to present moment are nothing  but sub-humans,the scums of the earth with obasanjo at the helm.

I wonder why any rational individual will ever put them into positive perspective,unless of course he or she is benefiting from the horrors of leadership in nigeria.

Using the same line of thought then we may assume that those who constantly say he is bad may have been affected by his anti corruption initiative so may have dealt a blow to them as scammers or fraudsters. Or, that those in England may be paid agents working for their host nation to say negative things about OBJ.

Who do we always try to attack people who have different views on issues? Everyone must not agree on everything.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by redsun(m): 10:58pm On Feb 18, 2010
Afam,you probably got a big contract from obasanjo regime,most times you come across as a very reasonable and humane person,but when it comes to that monster,you do let me down.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by Afam(m): 11:11pm On Feb 18, 2010
redsun:

Afam,you probably got a big contract from obasanjo regime,most times you come across as a very reasonable and humane person,but when it comes to that monster,you do let me down.

Thank God you used the word probably.

No, I did not get a contract from his regime as I do not need one.

However, for the sake of argument if I was asked to do a project and the price was right without any kick back or contract inflation involved I will do so and this will not have anything to do with my views on anything. I maintain a very high level of integrity in both business and personal life.

OBJ sure made some mistakes but when compared to all other leaders I will rate him high any day.

I do not believe in blanket commendation or condemnation of anyone or group because doing so could mislead us. People should be blamed for their mistakes and praised for their good works.

If to say I be Yoruba person now some go say I dey support my tribe man, now wey Enugu far from Ogun na contract dem wan link am to.

I am an independent minded person.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by redsun(m): 11:34pm On Feb 18, 2010
Afam,do you ever try to put the atrocities of nigerian leaders like obasanjo in pictorial and practical contest?of how many children die of preventable diseases in a week in nigeria because leaders like obasanjo have siphon the money meant for health services,of how many women die at child birth because of the same reason,of how many able bodied individuals die unnecessarily on road accidents because the money meant for road maintenance have been diverted by the leaders,the list goes,if you do,i don't think you will ever have the guts to commend human beings like that.

Someone like obasanjo is not in any way different from someone like hitler,they are both heartless and destructive souls but with different tactics and applications,they both hate humanity.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by Nobody: 12:14am On Feb 19, 2010
You will expect those who say OBJ is not the best leader we ever had to give us an alternative name.

I wont hold my breadth waiting because they usually dont.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by Gekko(m): 12:27am On Feb 19, 2010
redsun:

Afam,do you ever try to put the atrocities of nigerian leaders like obasanjo in pictorial and practical contest?of how many children die of preventable diseases in a week in nigeria because leaders like obasanjo have siphon the money meant for health services,of how many women die at child birth because of the same reason,of how many able bodied individuals die unnecessarily on road accidents because the money meant for road maintenance have been diverted by the leaders,the list goes,if you do,i don't think you will ever have the guts to commend human beings like that.

Someone like obasanjo is not in any way different from someone like hitler,they are both heartless and destructive souls but with different tactics and applications,they both hate humanity.

to compare Hitler and OBJ shows that you are exclusively out of touch with reality.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by Godalone(m): 7:48am On Feb 19, 2010
Gekko:

to compare Hitler and OBJ shows that you are exclusively out of touch with reality.
You have just spoken my mind
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by otawa: 9:11am On Feb 19, 2010
Tracing the political history of our great nation, filled with great people (Spirit of Rebranding), can we say Fmr. President Olusegun Obasamjo is really bad.

well is either you dont read the news!

Mr Obasanjo is surely worse than Hilter!

Hitler did NOT kill his OWN people! He never killed GERMANS!

Mr Obasanjo wiped-out the entired village of ODI in 2000. He gave Nigeria Military the command to kill any living thing in that village!

Mr Obasanjo sold the people of Bakassi to their untimely death by handing them over to Cameroun

Mr Obasanjo killed as many IGBO as possible on the idea of One-Nigeria.

He spent $10billion to buy more DARKNESS to Nigerians.

He is the most famous 'mass-murder' in Nigeria!
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by shanda(m): 9:51am On Feb 19, 2010
@otawa

You are blinded by your own ignorance. OBJ remains the best we've had in spite of his shortcomings (we all are humans, u know undecided).
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by redsun(m): 1:37pm On Feb 19, 2010
The nazis were far better than nigerian leaders in the sense that they were inventive,creative and devilishly idealistic but nigerian leaders like obasanjo are just evil and retarded mass killers that are killing the people slowly and systematically without any sense of creativity and inventions like the nazis.But because the people are never use to any thing else,they just think it is normal and manageable to have evil leaders and some even applaud them instead of stoning them.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by Olaolufred(m): 1:43pm On Feb 19, 2010
Absolutely Yes.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by redsun(m): 1:44pm On Feb 19, 2010
Leaders must give account to the last KOBO in their jurisdictions,if not they will have to face the music for misappropriation and mismanagement of public funds,they are public servants,not masters,the owe the people the right to deliver otherwise,they are not good enough and shouldn't be there.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by jamesyins(m): 4:38pm On Feb 19, 2010
I won't say he is really bad but he is shame to Nigerians. How many years did he spend in power and still could not do anything tangible for the country, he was totally disgraced last year on a Hard Talk (a BBC Programme).
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by afemai: 5:54pm On Feb 19, 2010
The question by the poster: Is Former President Obasanjo Really Bad? The word “really “ Confirms that Obasanjo is bad but to what degree, extent, he seeks to find a grade of how bad he was? His quest for answers to this question is borne out of the fact that he has been hearing or reading from generality of Nigerians and probably non Nigerians that Obasanjo wasted eight years of our nation existence.
What respondents need to do now is to help the poster answer the question without going off on a tangent. And without resorting to abuses and insults.
To the question I say YES he is really bad.
Why, because he, as earlier been compared with Hitler was ruthless with his own people as against Hitler‘s. His policies were nice on paper and you could actually see the growth indices but not in practical or physical appraisals, poverty was still alarming, the health, education, infrastructure, security, and power sectors went down drastically and corruption was rife am not comparing his government with any other because the poster’s question do not seek to put him side by side any past thieve.
He conducted a hoax election and imposed his choice on us, yes people would say he had a good foreign policy I agree, that’s why he single handedly sold Bakassi to Cameroun (he practiced that policy because he wanted to be UN Sec. General).
I can go on and on but these reasons above should suffice.
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by edoyad(m): 6:06pm On Feb 19, 2010
Ofcourse like other naija leaders he was bad, but the thing is name one leader better than him ?
Re: Is Fmr. Pres. Obasanjo Really Bad? by dayokanu(m): 7:28pm On Feb 19, 2010
@otawa

You are blinded by your own ignorance. OBJ remains the best we've had in spite of his shortcomings (we all are humans, u know

And his shortcomings include genocide at Odi and Zaki Biam, religious crisis like never before, fuel price increase like never before, corruption like never before.

$16b on Power projects hope we have the power now

(1) (2) (Reply)

Oyedepo Denies Seeing Yardua / Reverend Moses Iloh: A Cleric's View On Presidential Election / If You Are The President,how Will You Handle The Boko Haram Issue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.