Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,706 members, 7,816,898 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:45 PM

Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians (12576 Views)

92nd Birthday Cake Robert Mugabe Got From His Staff This Morning (Photos) / Donald Trump Vows– Will Lock Museveni And Mugabe In Prison If I Become President / China Cracks Down On Christianity, Demolishing Churches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by OneNaija(m): 10:25am On Feb 18, 2010
He got tired of Whites and I guess there were few left, so now he has turned on Nigerians.

Zimbabwe: Foreign and Nigerian businesses to face indigenization law

AAG wants to flush out foreign businesses
Wednesday 17 February 2010 / by Alice Chimora

Quote:
A radical black empowerment lobby group, the Affirmative Action Group (AAG) has resolved to flush out all foreigners especially Nigerian businessmen in Zimbabwe by all means to pave way for locals.

AAG, a militant group with strong links with Zanu PF said it will use force to rid of all Nigerians running businesses in the country’s cities and towns to create space for black Zimbabweans. The group claims that Nigerians are crowding out struggling black Zimbabweans from businesses hence they should be forced to leave to allow locals to enjoy the privilege.

AAG campaigns for black economic empowerment in the country.

Charles Nyachowa, AAG Harare regional president, today said government has been notified of their intentions. "The Nigerians are using Zimbabweans as fronts because the businesses are registered in the names of Zimbabweans but are run by Nigerians," Nyachowa said. The group “will also deal decisively with Zimbabweans that connive with the foreigners to frustrate their efforts," he continued.

AAG claim that Zimbabweans were forcing their daughters and sisters to marry Nigerians in return for cash and other favours. And to achieve the potential violent move a door-to-door campaign would be launched to authenticate the ownership of businesses.

Lately, Nigerians and other nationals from West African countries such as Senegal and Guinea have flooded Zimbabwe’s major cities and towns running business ventures ranging from clothing retail, electrical shops and selling cell phone gadgets and accessories.

The warning was also extended to established foreign companies that are opposed to the controversial indigenization law. The law prescribes that foreign companies cede 51 percent of their stake to black Zimbabweans.

The regulations are set to take effect shortly on March 1.

Government dispute

The gazetting of the regulations immediately sparked a fresh dispute within the country’s inclusive government. Prime minister Tsvangirai said the regulations were published without due process as detailed in the constitution. He also pointed out that the law was short-sighted and destructive as it would scare away potential investors who were willing to give the inclusive government the benefit of doubt.

The MDC views the law as too harsh for a country that still needs to attract foreign investment and recover from a decade long unprecedented economic recession. They blame the collapse of the economy on what they describe as Zanu-PF’s populist policies.

Late last year Germany protested to the Zimbabwe government AAG after threatened to expel Bonn-based international courier services firm DHL unless it appointed a Zimbabwean to head its local operation.

"It is with great concern that we learned about the threats which were put forward against a German company in Harare by members of a group called Affirmative Action Group,” reads part of the letter by Matthias Schumacher, first secretary and deputy head of mission.

“This kind of action highly endangers our recent efforts to resuscitate Zimbabwean-German business relations which are part of the broader relations between Zimbabwe and the EU (European Union),” the embassy said.

http://en.afrik.com/article16959.html
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by Afam(m): 11:26am On Feb 18, 2010
This means that the media propaganda by the Western nations about the real state of the Zimbabwean economy remains a lie otherwise while would foreigners still be doing business in that country to the extent that a nationalization policy is being used to acquire them.

I don't have a problem with any country who may have been shortchanged in the past trying to take care of its citizens first before others. If Nigeria could do this things will be a lot better for Nigeria and Nigerians.
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by snowdrops(m): 2:15pm On Feb 18, 2010
Zimbabwe of all places; cholera and poverty infested and 1,000,000,000% inflation flushing out Nigerians

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by Kx: 2:19pm On Feb 18, 2010
United State of Africa indeed!
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by Jamaerah(m): 2:34pm On Feb 18, 2010
Zimbabwe is not even a place to be at my Advise to our brothers there is to start coming home

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by naijaswag1: 6:32pm On Feb 18, 2010
Which country Nigerians no dey for this world,some go even dey north korea.i think say they talk say Zim don finish.South Africans hate Nigerians and am sorry for those who live in that part of the world.

1 Like

Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by egift(m): 6:41pm On Feb 18, 2010
This is how much a boy made selling bread on the street. Valueless money! Mugabe is a disgrace to Africa. He don't know when to bow out.

Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by citizenY(m): 6:50pm On Feb 18, 2010
At least The Nigerians there have achieved their dreaMS.

MILLIONAIRES ----- in ZIM DOLLARS. cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by elbereth: 6:57pm On Feb 18, 2010
Mugabe is a retard
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by Beaf: 7:04pm On Feb 18, 2010
Zimbabwe is in better shape than Nigeria. That is the sad truth.
Have you ever seen a bad road on TV in Zimbabwe? I can bet that nobody here has. cool

If anybody challenges the above, let them post pictures and their sources.
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by Tsiya(m): 8:02pm On Feb 18, 2010
Most Nigerians have little knowledge of other countries other than the daily dossage of western propaganda they watch on thier satelittes canal. Most of these countries, at local level are economically better than Nigerians.

Last year I was watching how the whole world is making fuss about cholera in Zimbabwe, but at the same time more people died of the same cholera in Katsina and Sokoto state. But unfortunately for Nigeria, because we dash them our oil, they never come to mainland Nigeria to report anything to the outside world. That is why, you can watch CNN or BBC in Nigeria for a year, unless there is major religious crises nobody is going to report it.
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by ziga: 10:29pm On Feb 18, 2010
Beaf:

Have you ever seen a bad road on TV in Zimbabwe? I can bet that nobody here has. cool

This has nothing to do with the issue. Even if we had the best roads in the world, Nigerians will still be doing business in different parts of the world.

The chinese and indians are doing business in poorer nations than theirs.

The world is a very small country! I wouldn't argue that governments should make laws that would favor their locals but at the same time, they have to be internationally tolerant.
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by Beaf: 10:42pm On Feb 18, 2010
ziga:

This has nothing to do with the issue. Even if we had the best roads in the world, Nigerians will still be doing business in different parts of the world.

The chinese and indians are doing business in poorer nations than theirs.

The world is a very small country! I wouldn't argue that governments should make laws that would favor their locals but at the same time, they have to be internationally tolerant.

Really? How many are doing business in Bangladesh?
Ok, I'll put it in another way; life in Zimbabwe is better than life in Nigeria. Period.
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by ziga: 10:55pm On Feb 18, 2010
Beaf:

Really? How many are doing business in Bangladesh?
Ok, I'll put it in another way; life in Zimbabwe is better than life in Nigeria. Period.

And I believe that is your personal opinion.
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by Beaf: 11:04pm On Feb 18, 2010
ziga:

And I believe that is your personal opinion.

No, it is the opinion of those Nigerians looking for greener pastures in Zimbabwe and setting up small scale businesses;

Lately, Nigerians and other nationals from West African countries such as Senegal and Guinea have flooded Zimbabwe’s major cities and towns running business ventures ranging from clothing retail, electrical shops and selling cell phone gadgets and accessories.
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by SapeleGuy: 11:17pm On Feb 18, 2010
If you can not abide by their laws then come home.
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by ono(m): 11:36pm On Feb 18, 2010
SapeleGuy:

If you can not abide by their laws then come home.

Simple. . . . . . . . .but if you can, stay there.
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by Nobody: 3:23am On Feb 19, 2010
yawa don gas long time

Nigerians and waka-about
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by snowdrops(m): 12:07pm On Feb 19, 2010
Beaf:

I have said it before; the more you make posts the more i believe you have an empty space between you ears.
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by Nobody: 12:15pm On Feb 19, 2010
i dont know why so many fools, miscreants and misfits always end up claiming Nigeria.

What about that country attracts all the hoodrats of the world?
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by RSA(m): 12:27pm On Feb 19, 2010
If it was in South Africa the magical X words would have been used millions time.And also you'll have reminded us how lazy and uneducated our people are.Now it is Zimbabwe your debate is balanced and there is no mentioned of xenophobia.

Do you know in South Africa where millions of Zimbabweans lives you'll never hear a statement like that made by an official of any organisation? But most Nigerians still consider South Africans blacks as the most xenophobic in the continent?

Nigeria flushed Ghananians out of their country before,Zimbabwe want to flush Nigerians out of their country,South Africa has never said it want to flush other Africans out of their country and there are more African immigrants in South Africa than anywhere in Africa,and research say most of them live peacefully here than where they come from.
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by Nobody: 1:10pm On Feb 19, 2010
AAG claim that Zimbabweans were forcing their daughters and sisters to marry Nigerians in return for cash and other favours

is this true?
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by asha80(m): 1:22pm On Feb 19, 2010
tpia.:

is this true?

U dey doubt the naija spirit grin
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by ireneann: 1:38pm On Feb 19, 2010
RSA i thank you for saying flush. South Africans were killing innocent people. That is quite different from asking people to go.
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by Claus(m): 1:58pm On Feb 19, 2010
Beaf:

I've been to Zimbabwe twice, the latest being for my wedding in Sept 2008 (my wife is Zimbabwean). Zimbabwe was a prosperous country and it showed in the infrastructure they were able to build and maintain (roads, railways etc). That infrastructure hasn't suddenly collapsed in the last decade - which is when Mugabe's madness started.

However, productivity has. The economy shrunk at an alarming rate for a country not at war. When we went, there were a number of things we could enjoy because we came with foreign money. However, there was REAL suffering going on.

In recent times, I wouldn't say Zimbabwe was in better shape than Nigeria, although things may have started inproving under the unity government.
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by Reptyle(m): 3:28pm On Feb 19, 2010
I hope those Nigerians will heed the warnings and get out now while they can. Before zimbos start roasting Nigerians on the streets of harare like South Africans did to their fellow Southern Africans a few years ago. A word is enough for the wise.
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by lee007(m): 3:51pm On Feb 19, 2010
Old Carmel of Zimbabwe

This old beast of African Union
Still chewing hey from the ages
With long weak limbs and wrinkles
His pride still hard like pebbles
How far will he take these crackles?

The master fox still kills
Casting his brethren into cages
His hunt dogs bite without remorse
The sight of blood his spirit arouses
The fire of the huts he never quenches

This old cargo of Zimbabwe
After feeding fat from their milk
Suddenly feel the need to be a farmer
Even the plough knew ill fail
An animal farm the whites fled from

Mugabe still feels he is loved
Praised by those who sniff from power
One day the drunk will be doped in filth
Now that a millions can’t buy a loaf
The world to him has gone so mad

Please Sir don’t think of it
That wazobia should leave the land
The white is nice but black is wise
Eyes closed your Excellency and say this prayer
Gbam! You dumb old Carmel grin

Lee 007 ‘10
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by emeke123(m): 3:53pm On Feb 19, 2010
Let’s face it; Nigerians are segregated around Africa but why? Is it because of the bad omen we have when we go to another country or is it because our government has buired our great name in the mud by all these corruption in high places? Let’s face reality, if shoes were flipped will be react the same way?
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by AjanleKoko: 4:17pm On Feb 19, 2010
Beaf:

Totally untrue.
They don't even have any infrastructure to speak of in Harare. All those 3rd mainland bridges and many flyovers in Lagos, nothing like that dey there.
I was there in 2003. Unless they suddenly experienced a stupendous economic revolution in 7 years, the place is crap.
Funny enough, it's a cashless society to a large extent, and the people are quite well-educated. But overall, not better than Nigeria.
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by otawa: 4:22pm On Feb 19, 2010
Afam:

This means that the media propaganda by the Western nations about the real state of the Zimbabwean economy remains a lie otherwise while would foreigners still be doing business in that country to the extent that a nationalization policy is being used to acquire them.

I don't have a problem with any country who may have been shortchanged in the past trying to take care of its citizens first before others. If Nigeria could do this things will be a lot better for Nigeria and Nigerians.

Thats exactly my thoughts.

anyway, we need Nigeria Embassy or Nigerians in that country to confirm this news.

And ofcourse, we should not forget that Mr Obasanjo sold out to British Queen when he and Australia president agreed to explusion of Zim from commonwealth.
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by untainted: 4:26pm On Feb 19, 2010
lee007:

Old Carmel of Zimbabwe

This old beast of African Union
Still chewing hey from the ages
With long weak limbs and wrinkles
His pride still hard like pebbles
How far will he take these crackles?

The master fox still kills
Casting his brethren into cages
His hunt dogs bite without remorse
The sight of blood his spirit arouses
The fire of the huts he never quenches

This old cargo of Zimbabwe
After feeding fat from their milk
Suddenly feel the need to be a farmer
Even the plough knew ill fail
An animal farm the whites fled from

Mugabe still feels he is loved
Praised by those who sniff from power
One day the drunk will be doped in filth
Now that a millions can’t buy a loaf
The world to him has gone so mad

Please Sir don’t think of it
That wazobia should leave the land
The white is nice but black is wise
Eyes closed your Excellency and say this prayer
Gbam! You dumb old Carmel grin

Lee 007 ‘10

great piece!
keep it up
Re: Mugabe Cracks Down On Nigerians by Claus(m): 4:50pm On Feb 19, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Totally untrue.
They don't even have any infrastructure to speak of in Harare. All those 3rd mainland bridges and many flyovers in Lagos, nothing like that dey there.
I was there in 2003. Unless they suddenly experienced a stupendous economic revolution in 7 years, the place is crap.
Funny enough, it's a cashless society to a large extent, and the people are quite well-educated. But overall, not better than Nigeria.

I actually agree that Zimbabwe isn't doing better than Nigeria at the moment. Economy wise, they have really suffered in recent times.

However, you have to look at their infrastructure in relative terms. Their entire population is probably less than that of Lagos State, so there are some things you're bound not to see there. Harare as a city has less than 2m people, but with its surrounding metropolitan area, has only about 3m people.

Harare also doesn't have major bodies of water and islands the way Lagos does, and therefore doesn't need as many bridges.

I hope they get the political and economic problems sorted out though because I remember both my visits there with great fondness (of course, the fact that one of them was for my wedding had a lot to do with that smiley).

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

West Virginia Bans Abortion At Almost All Stages / US Senate Has Passed The 'obama Health Care / Russia Says Talks With Zelenskiy Possible, But Negotiations Stalled

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.