Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,363 members, 7,860,994 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 08:34 PM

Haiti: Bbc Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Haiti: Bbc Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria (567 Views)

Arms Deal: EFCC Traces Transfers To 11 Foreign Accounts In UK, US, Niger / EFCC Traces N17.5bn To Accounts Of Ex-naf Chiefs’ Wives / FG Traces Looted Funds To UK, Switzerland, Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Haiti: Bbc Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by Nobody: 12:55am On Feb 19, 2010
Criminal gangs have defrauded people out of funds intended for Haiti earthquake victims by setting up bogus charities and seeking contributions online, according to a British Broadcasting Corporation(BBC) investigation published on Tuesday.

Scam emails began appearing online within days of the January 12 earthquake, including some with logos for genuine charities. One for the British Red Cross was traced to a computer in Nigeria, the BBC reported.

Another group, calling itself the M E Foundation, emailed the BBC photos of Haiti projects it said it was involved with, but which turned out to be those of disaster relief activities from the 2005 Pakistan earthquake.

British charity, SOS Children, said the photos were cut and pasted from their website.

“The problem is it’s not just about exploiting a donor or a charity, really they’re exploiting the victims.

“They’re taking money people want to give to the victims of these natural disasters and they’re stealing it. So, I don’t feel that they’re robbing me; I feel that they’re taking from the mouths of children we’re trying to help and that is something which is very difficult not to get angry about,” the charity’s boss, Andrew Cates, said.

Another scam email was sent by a charity calling itself Help the World.
Re: Haiti: Bbc Traces Scam Computer To Nigeria by gbengaoa(m): 12:09pm On Mar 30, 2015
Naija, I hail thee. Sometimes I wonder why God has blessed us with so much brain.
please locate these hoodlumps and bring them to justice. shikena.

(1) (Reply)

Yaradua; Ministers Back From Saudi Trip Without Seeing him! / Yar' Adua Is Back: / Jonathan Should Call Turai To Order

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.