Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,205 members, 7,849,723 topics. Date: Tuesday, 04 June 2024 at 08:42 AM

Gay P0rnography shown In Church! Praise The Lord! - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Gay P0rnography shown In Church! Praise The Lord! (1041 Views)

Obama Late For Easter Service, Sat On The Second Row In Church (Photo) / WATCH What's Left Of Palmyra: First Footage Of Liberated City Shown On TV / Wounded Gaddafi Shown No Mercy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Gay P0rnography shown In Church! Praise The Lord! by ElRazur: 9:56am On Feb 19, 2010
Yes. It was reported that Gay indecency was shown in a church by the Pastor to the congregation. Why? Well, it is an attempt to gain support for the Anti-gay laws in Uganda.

I read the article [see below] and it worries me that Shock tactics are been used alongside religion so as to gather support for a law that is arguably backward in my opinion.

In one of the defence presented for such tactics, the pastor claimed that what ever people get up to - i.e love making - should be private. Yet, he opted to show a full blown intimacy movie in a church with children present. Surely, that is wrong in itself? But I guess common sense is not that obvious.

This sort of things underlies the hatred and bad attitude towards homosexuality in Africa. I firmly expect some to disagree with me, off course they are welcome to.

Full story:

A Ugandan clergyman's decision to show gay indecency to his congregation has been labelled as "twisted, homophobic propaganda" by a gay rights groups.

Behind the Mask told the BBC the stunt, by anti-gay Pastor Martin Ssempa, equated homosexuality to paedophilia.

The pastor showed the indecency in an attempt to gain support for a proposed law which would see some gay people facing the death penalty.

The bill, under consideration by MPs, has been condemned across the world.

US President Barack Obama has described the proposals as "odious".

Religion misused

Noma Pakade, from the African gay rights group Behind the Mask, accused the pastor of perpetuating violence by his anti-gay campaign.

"Showing indecency in church in the presence of minors is twisted homophobic propaganda, where homosexuality is equated to paedophilia and indecency," she told the BBC.

"It is not surprising, but rather disappointing, that in Africa in the 21st Century yet again discrimination and prejudice is legitimised through religion."

Homosexuality is already against the law in Uganda and punishable by lengthy jail terms.

But supporters of the bill, including the pastor, want the punishments ramped up.

"In Africa, what you do in your bedroom affects our clan, it affects our tribe, it affects our nation," he told the BBC's Network Africa programme.

He justified his decision to show gay indecency to about 300 people, saying: "We are in the process of legislation and we have to educate ourselves about what homosexuals do."

The anti-gay proposal, introduced into parliament as a private member's bill, garnered wide support among Ugandan MPs and conservative religious groups.

But President Yoweri Museveni recently hinted that he was coming under international pressure to scrap the proposals.

(1) (Reply)

Israel Unleashed One Of The World's Most Sophisticated Cyberweapons On The Iran / Pakistan Schools Celebrate ‘anti-malala Day’. I Am Not Malala. / caption this: Epic Photo Of Melania Thrump And Michelle Obama

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.