Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,838 members, 7,810,222 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:36 AM

Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities (14763 Views)

Afe Babalola University Commissions Senate Building - The White Rock / Inside Afe Babalola University Teaching Hospital (Photos) / Afe Babalola University Completes 400 Bed Teaching Hospital(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by Lautechgossip(m): 8:06am On Aug 24, 2017
​Founder of the Afe Babalola University Ado Ekiti, Chief Afe Babalola (SAN), on Wednesday kicked against the 120 cut-off mark for admission into universities, polytechnics, monotechnics and colleges of education for the 2017/2018 academic session.

He described the reduction as violence to the university system and a major setback to quality education in the country.

Recall that that the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board had on announced on Tuesday the reduction of cut-off marks for candidates seeking admission into Nigerian universities to 120 and 100 for polytechnics and colleges of education in the country.

But Babalola, in a statement, said he was worried that the decision was taken without due consideration for its implication on the quality of education in Nigerian tertiary institutions.

“What is the whole essence of reducing cut-off marks for admission to as low as 120 for universities and 100 for polytechnics, monotechnics and colleges of education? Will such an action enhance or reduce the quality of education?

“Will it give international recognition to the degrees awarded by the Nigerian universities which, in any case, are already being questioned? Is the reduction a deliberate ploy to make things worse?” Babalola quizzed.

He, therefore, called for an urgent education summit which he suggested should be attended by stakeholders of higher education institutions to address the problems.

The statement read, “Are we now saying there will be no uniform standards in our tertiary education in this country? Is the government or its agencies encouraging double or multiple standards?

“I do hope that those behind this reduction are aware that even candidates who pass the UTME at 180 and above now find it difficult and tasking to get admission into Nigerian universities because there are more qualified candidates than the spaces available and because of the paucity of facilities in the existing universities.

“It must be appreciated that even the former 180 cut-off mark is less than 50 per cent of the total JAMB marks. As I said earlier, a minimum of 50 per cent was regarded and acknowledged as pass mark in elementary schools in those days and now JAMB is recommending 120, a mere 30 per cent of the total score of 400.”

But the JAMB Registrar, Prof. Ishaq Oloyede, has insisted that pegging the minimum cut-off benchmark for admission at 120 for universities and 100 for polytechnics, will improve access to education.

http://fabinfos.com/afe-babalola-rejects-120-cut-off-mark-nigerian-universities/

10 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by RIPEnglish: 11:10am On Aug 24, 2017
I'm very assurance my school too will rejected it.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by AWONEYAN(m): 11:11am On Aug 24, 2017
True talk!
I don't know what this Oloyede was thinking to announce such a ridiculous cut off marks for Nigerian University.
He knows even Unilorin where he came for wouldn't take that.....or was it to just take money for schools through Post UMTE or there is a sinister politics behind this

8 Likes

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by Evablizin(f): 11:11am On Aug 24, 2017
Their choice,wetin students go do nah apart from working hard to get 180 and above
Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by winkmart: 11:11am On Aug 24, 2017
It's bad

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by cinoedhunter: 11:11am On Aug 24, 2017
Like it is heart breaking

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by Ekeseges(f): 11:12am On Aug 24, 2017
O di Egwu

5 Likes

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by azpekuliar: 11:12am On Aug 24, 2017
Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 11:12am On Aug 24, 2017
Hmmm

Made some sense sha
Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by madenigga(m): 11:12am On Aug 24, 2017
Abeg shutup.

I see this as a good move from the fg.

At least now Nigerians going to Ghana to study will reduce.

In some Ghana uni you can even get admission without jamb not to talk of with 120.

17 Likes

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by jasperism(m): 11:13am On Aug 24, 2017
Mmmmh
Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 11:14am On Aug 24, 2017
RIPEnglish:
You sure say you really go school

24 Likes

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by ChangetheChange: 11:14am On Aug 24, 2017
grin
Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by tundejoseph4(m): 11:14am On Aug 24, 2017
RIPEnglish:
pity english small na

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by azpekuliar: 11:14am On Aug 24, 2017
Let us all pretend that this reduction is not being done in favour of a particular section of the country.

19 Likes

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by goshen26: 11:15am On Aug 24, 2017
Just 120?

Abeg wetin they do this people na? Kuku cancel jamb na. Haba

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by sKeetz(m): 11:15am On Aug 24, 2017
Jamb: Let us be celebrated as the administration dat forced UNIVERSTIES to take #2000 as post UTME fee.

Universities: No problem, just reduce cut off Mark to 120.

Jamb: Why?

Universities: We need money.

Analysis.... @at 200 cut off Mark and 5000 buy form @ #4000 we will earn #20, 000 000.

But at 120 cut-off Mark... Over 20000 will buy form @#2000... Which is equal to #40, 000 000... We will earn 20,000000 more

Jamb: Nice doing business with you

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by CocoaOla: 11:15am On Aug 24, 2017
University choice, not by force
Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by Orpe7(m): 11:15am On Aug 24, 2017
A ploy to favour the northerners.
No be so we reach this level of education o but this northerners sha wan do ojoro by all means

14 Likes

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by RIPEnglish: 11:15am On Aug 24, 2017
tundejoseph4:
pity english small na
no way boss
Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by josephobaro(m): 11:16am On Aug 24, 2017
JAMB has lost its tatste.

2 Likes

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by Profkomolafe(m): 11:16am On Aug 24, 2017
grin
Na wyning level this man dey, No be private University this thing go favour pass?
Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by ayamprecious: 11:17am On Aug 24, 2017
The 120 Z too low, y are dey dropping the standard of already spoilt educational system

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by MrGreenMavro: 11:19am On Aug 24, 2017
even if I guess for jamb exam...I go score more than 120

2 Likes

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by brenister10: 11:19am On Aug 24, 2017
madenigga:
Abeg shutup.

In some Ghana uni you can even get admission without jamb not to talk of with 120.

You don't understand

1 Like

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 11:20am On Aug 24, 2017
madenigga:
Abeg shutup.

Stop the insult!

What it means is that even if you score 400 in Jamb and I score 120 I may get admission because the slot is not even enough.

Also, they have introduced post utme back. What that means is that schools will make more money by asking candidates to buy post utme forms and not give them admission because of quota.

Nigerians will suffer at the end of the day because universities will catch in to this and rip them off, while also selecting whoever they wish for admission.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by Hardeysolution(m): 11:20am On Aug 24, 2017
Where were you? Were you not at the meeting?? ?

Meanwhile read this

A letter to JAMB

With due respect professor Oloyede and all stakeholders In the education sector, I stand to challenge this year's admission policy as it is not in anyway good for our education system.

I really don't know the idea behind the pegged cut off mark but it's really a shock to many Nigerians. We find it uncalled for to make 30% the benchmark. Nigeria's education is yet to be standard yet we are bringing in unstandardized policy to destroy the education system.

Federal polytechnics find it difficult to admit all 180 scorers, do you think making it 100 will make a difference? I understand the fact that institutions might raise the cut off marks to their standard but the message the cut off is sending is simply that Nigeria's education is below standard but Universities can choose to adopt whatever standard.

I speak on behalf of everyone who wants the best for Nigeria. We hope that a review will be done and next year wouldn't be a shock when 50 might be the benchmark.

Thanks.
Anonymous

6 Likes

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by Ekene250(m): 11:20am On Aug 24, 2017
shocked
Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by ayamprecious: 11:21am On Aug 24, 2017
RIPEnglish:

U are trying to make relevance with this your queen English but I tell you, it z actually boring, you actually can't speak and write well so you just used your moniker to cover up..

Pls stop this trash, the joke Z too dry lipsrsealed lipsrsealed undecided undecided

2 Likes

Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 11:22am On Aug 24, 2017
RIPEnglish:
By their name we shall knw them...RIP
Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by ademusiwa3r: 11:22am On Aug 24, 2017
:Pc
Re: Afe Babalola Rejects 120 Cut-off Mark For Nigerian Universities by Ekene250(m): 11:22am On Aug 24, 2017
Federal govt needs deliverance

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ekiti varsity sacks 600 over illegal appointment, others / We Sleep In Darkness, Attend Classes Without Bathing – UI Students / Parent,media Who Is To Blame For Moral Decadence In Our Society?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.