Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,863 members, 7,821,012 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:47 AM

What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion (3391 Views)

How Good Is This Tire Brand / What I Saw At A Wheel Balancing Place (tire Safety) / 5 Steps To Handle A Tire Burst While Driving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by Nobody: 4:41am On Aug 25, 2017
Looking for the probable cause of this tire explosion?

I've never experienced or seen one like this where it exploded in radius.

Thoughts?

Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by mayor2013: 7:07am On Aug 25, 2017
Binding brake which led to creation of excessive heat. That is a killer of tires

1 Like

Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:05am On Aug 25, 2017
k
EgunMogaji:

Thoughts?

driver ran a chinese tyre on low or no pressure.
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by symbianDON(m): 8:32am On Aug 25, 2017
inferior quality tire with excessively weakened tire side walls...tire was then over-inflated hence the kind of blowout

1 Like

Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by LeJeun3: 10:19am On Aug 25, 2017

Sidewalk failure in tyres is caused by either under inflated or over inflation of either Tokunbo tires or cheap Chinese tyres....

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by princetom1(m): 10:34am On Aug 25, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Thoughts?

Baba, is this ur Bruno?
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by Nobody: 12:39pm On Aug 25, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
k

It's a Toyo Tire that came with the truck from the US. Good tire.

https://www.toyotires.com/tire/pattern/open-country-at-ii-on-off-road-all-terrain-tires

I'm suspecting air pressure too.

1 Like

Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by Nobody: 12:40pm On Aug 25, 2017
princetom1:

Baba, is this ur Bruno?

No, it's not Brutus grin
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by princetom1(m): 12:43pm On Aug 25, 2017
EgunMogaji:

No, it's not Brutus grin

Forgive my blunder sir, the names sound alike

1 Like

Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by snipesdam(m): 5:02pm On Aug 25, 2017
GAZZUZZ:
k

What PSI is considered low on a Chinese tyre, if the max psi on the tyre is 44psi?
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by Nobody: 5:11pm On Aug 25, 2017
snipesdam:

What PSI is considered low on a Chinese tyre, if the max psi on the tyre is 44psi?

Go with what is on the drivers side door jamb.

Join automotive forums that caters to your particular model and read what others are posting.
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by iLickAnalFungus(m): 5:57pm On Aug 25, 2017
Expired low pressured tire.
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by Nobody: 6:01pm On Aug 25, 2017
iLickAnalFungus:
Expired low pressured tire.

Low pressure will create heat right?
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by 9icetoo(m): 6:07pm On Aug 25, 2017
Low pressure. Sidewalls heat up and flex more than they should when a tyre is run on very low pressures. The older the tyre, the worse the effect.
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:44pm On Aug 25, 2017
snipesdam:

im talking about really low, 5-10psi
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by Nobody: 7:00pm On Aug 25, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

im talking about really low, 5-10psi

shocked
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by iLickAnalFungus(m): 7:01pm On Aug 25, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Low pressure will create heat right?
Yeah. It'll. Rolling resistance will create unbearable heat, next thing is.... Kaboom
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by chiefbuchiV12(m): 11:12pm On Aug 25, 2017
So everything made in china is now fake and inferior quality abi
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by sultaan(m): 3:22am On Aug 26, 2017
If fuckaniser inflates the tire to 80psi and the driver decides to go over a steep pothole at 100mph the result will look similar grin just kidding

I think he had low tire pressure(flat) and drove for a long distance which is why side wall degraded could have bee using chemicals that attacks rubber like tire shine.
If he drove over or under inflated there is no bad wear pattern on the threads

1 Like

Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by ricki: 5:03pm On Aug 26, 2017
i prefer my new ford focus on 40 - 45 psi for motorway and around town driving cause of comfort as it glides over bumps like dey are not dere. i only hear tom tom dus dus and dats it. and dats like 5psi over grin

fuel ecomnomy is good too like i needed it - stop and start, eco dis and dat but still........

warning: pls dont read dis and go do smt crazy o
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 26, 2017
ricki:
i prefer my new ford focus on 40 - 45 psi for motorway and around town driving cause of comfort as it glides over bumps like dey are not dere. i only hear tom tom dus dus and dats it. and dats like 5psi over grin

fuel ecomnomy is good too like i needed it - stop and start, eco dis and dat but still........

How are the centers of the tires wearing?
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by LeJeun3: 5:41pm On Aug 26, 2017
ricki:

It is sweeting you now.... hope you come to tell us of the other things!

1 Like

Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by Nobody: 6:03pm On Aug 26, 2017
LeJeun3:

It is sweeting you now .... hope you come to tell us of the other things!

Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by sooperrescue(m): 7:57am On Aug 27, 2017
This is a temperature B tyre. It cannot withstand heat. It explodes also when you drive above the specified speed limit. From the look of the tyre, it is probably an S rated speed index
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by ricki: 12:26pm On Aug 27, 2017
LeJeun3:

It is sweeting you now.... hope you come to tell us of the other things!

bro i send the package back to ur keke maruwa with interest on top .............. grin

with humility ofcourse

Egun..... dat is a symtoms of under inflation causing a twist-like strain btw de rim and tire hence kaboom.

1 Like

Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by Nobody: 1:03pm On Aug 27, 2017
sooperrescue:
This is a temperature B tyre. It cannot withstand heat. It explodes also when you drive above the specified speed limit. From the look of the tyre, it is probably an S rated speed index

I can assure you that the owner would never drive at 85mph in Nigeria, even in the US, so the minimum tire speed was not even violated.

So the heat must have come from under inflation that occurred while driving.

This is a very good truck tire albeit probably old.

1 Like

Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by princetom1(m): 2:34pm On Aug 27, 2017
Ehn, for where?

Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by sooperrescue(m): 3:16pm On Aug 27, 2017
EgunMogaji:

I can assure you that the owner would never drive at 85mph in Nigeria, even in the US, so the minimum tire speed was not even violated.

So the heat must have come from under inflation that occurred while driving.

This is a very good truck tire albeit probably old.
He does not even need to get to that speed. A traction b temperature b tyre will go that way when the weather is hot ,inflated or under inflated. C tires that you quoted , are they for commercial buses or temp C tyres ? because that is a suicide prone tyre if it is temperature C tyre. Many Nigerians are now fitting C tyres on their vehicles and an R speed rating on a v6 Honda caused a fatal accident to a client of mine recently
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by Nobody: 4:41pm On Aug 27, 2017
sooperrescue:

He does not even need to get to that speed. A traction b temperature b tyre will go that way when the weather is hot ,inflated or under inflated. C tires that you quoted , are they for commercial buses or temp C tyres ? because that is a suicide prone tyre if it is temperature C tyre. Many Nigerians are now fitting C tyres on their vehicles and an R speed rating on a v6 Honda caused a fatal accident to a client of mine recently

The tire is a B truck tire and appropriately sized for the truck.

Most likely an unnoticed slow leak situation that started during travel.
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by sooperrescue(m): 6:12pm On Aug 27, 2017
That B temp was the reason for the blowout. Nothing else to say
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by 9icetoo(m): 7:24am On Aug 29, 2017
sooperrescue:
That B temp was the reason for the blowout. Nothing else to say
smh.
Re: What's The Cause Of This Tire Explosion by erico2k2(m): 2:33pm On Aug 29, 2017
EgunMogaji:

Thoughts?
Tire pressure, I had same with a car I was driving in 2009

(1) (2) (Reply)

Between Lexus Rx300 2001 And Toyota Highlander 2001 Model Which One Is Better. / Advise Needed Urgently Between Lexus ES 350 Vs Hyundai Sonata / Cars Now Available For Sale On Konga

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.