Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,936 members, 7,810,602 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

Atse Menelik II Of Ethiopia Unfulfilled Vision - Reconquering NE And E Africa - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Atse Menelik II Of Ethiopia Unfulfilled Vision - Reconquering NE And E Africa (916 Views)

Alaafin’s Unfulfilled Plans Before His Death / Suri Tribeswomen Of Ethiopia Who Wear Large Lip Plate To Determine Worth In Cows / Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atse Menelik II Of Ethiopia Unfulfilled Vision - Reconquering NE And E Africa by Nobody: 3:57pm On Aug 25, 2017
Atse(emperor) Menelik II primary objective was to restore the glory of Ethiopian Empire during the Axumite time. Even if most scholars agreed he did, Menelik didn't felt that the objective was fully completed.

The British were worried by the rapid territorial expansion of Menelik. When they addressed their concern to him, Menelik wrote the following to the European powers:-
“While tracing today the actual boundaries of my empire, I shall endeavor, if God’s gives me the strength, to reestablish the ancient frontiers of Ethiopia up to Khartoum, and as far as Lake Nyamza (Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania) with all the Gallas (Oromos) and the Arussi country up to the limits of the Somalis, including the Province of Ogaden.”

During the peak of Axumite time, Ethiopia territory included:-
- northern and central Ethiopia
- Eritrea
- northern Sudan
- southern Egypt
- Yemen
- southern Saudi Arabia

The Axumite were so powerful that they controlled the trade route in Red Sea between Roman and India/China. They coined their own Gold and Silver coin currency. They adopted Christianity as early as 1st century AD, but became official in 320s AD which made Ethiopia the second nation in the world after Armenia to do so.

They were regarded as the most powerful Ancient state together with Roman, Persia and China. They brought an end to the great Kush civilization of Sudan in the mid 4th century AD.

But after the rise of Islam, they were expelled from both costal sides of the Red Sea. Deforestation affected their northern territory, so they started to decline from 8th century AD onwards because of those and other factors like internal arrests (Beja and Agew ppl). They were finally brought to an end in the 10th century AD by a Jewish Ethiopian queen.

When the Axumite civilization became a waste, other Ethiopian civilizations followed (Zagwe and Abesha Ethiopian(Abysinnia)). The Abysinnia territory of the 15th and early 16th century AD covered most of the present day territory of Ethiopia, but after the invasion of Ethiopia by Ahmed Gragn of Adal and Galla (Oromo) ppl, most of the SE, S and SW territories were lost. But those lost and few new territories were reconqured/conquered by Menelik in the 19th century AD to create the modern day Ethiopia.
Re: Atse Menelik II Of Ethiopia Unfulfilled Vision - Reconquering NE And E Africa by Nobody: 4:56pm On Aug 25, 2017
I see this will be our future (post European colonial) problem. grin I'll not be surprised if some people still have those ambitions
Re: Atse Menelik II Of Ethiopia Unfulfilled Vision - Reconquering NE And E Africa by Nobody: 5:42pm On Aug 25, 2017
Muafrika2:
I see this will be our future (post European colonial) problem. grin I'll not be surprised if some people still have those ambitions
I believe this kind of ambition is dead, but it would be great for us to be under one democratic state in the future. After all, Ethiopia name and past History wasn't only the achievements of the present day Ethiopia, but also other like Sudan, Somalia, Djibouti, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Egypt, Arabia and India.

It's only language which divide us. We are all the same.
Re: Atse Menelik II Of Ethiopia Unfulfilled Vision - Reconquering NE And E Africa by Nobody: 6:57pm On Aug 25, 2017
Hati13:

I believe this kind of ambition is dead, but it would be great for us to be under one democratic state in the future. After all, Ethiopia name and past History wasn't only the achievements of the present day Ethiopia, but also other like Sudan, Somalia, Djibouti, Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Egypt, Arabia and India.

It's only language which divide us. We are all the same.
Really? Havent you heard of the Somali dream to unite her people in the three countries, etc. It seems that the only thing stopping such ambition is our Berlin conference borders. I was watching the recent Mali revolution. It was an attempt to revive an ancient Sahelian empire and it actually succeeded. France had to come to undo the damage and restore the president.

I used to believe that too. Until I learnt otherwise.
Re: Atse Menelik II Of Ethiopia Unfulfilled Vision - Reconquering NE And E Africa by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 25, 2017
Muafrika2:

Really? Havent you heard of the Somali dream to unite her people in the three countries, etc. It seems that the only thing stopping such ambition is our Berlin conference borders. I was watching the recent Mali revolution. It was an attempt to revive an ancient Sahelian empire and it actually succeeded. France had to come to undo the damage and restore the president.

I used to believe that too. Until I learnt otherwise.
What I'm saying is that our ancestors had extensively mixed with each other and only the so called human invented culture which divide us.

If the boundaries of most of African states are as a result of European, then why not create a new borders by our own choice?

Don't you personally support if at least the African states I mentioned above untied to form a single political entity?
Re: Atse Menelik II Of Ethiopia Unfulfilled Vision - Reconquering NE And E Africa by Nobody: 6:56am On Aug 26, 2017
Hati13:

What I'm saying is that our ancestors had extensively mixed with each other and only the so called human invented culture which divide us.

If the boundaries of most of African states are as a result of European, then why not create a new borders by our own choice?

Don't you personally support if at least the African states I mentioned above untied to form a single political entity?
The new borders will likely be ethnic. That's another worry.

I do. An entity that is different from a country. Maybe a confederation of independent states that come together for trade, defence, etc
Re: Atse Menelik II Of Ethiopia Unfulfilled Vision - Reconquering NE And E Africa by Nobody: 11:19am On Aug 26, 2017
Muafrika2:

The new borders will likely be ethnic. That's another worry.

I do. An entity that is different from a country. Maybe a confederation of independent states that come together for trade, defence, etc
Agreed wink

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Egbe Omo Ede, Osun / Video Of A Kegite Gyration / Murdered For Just Being Black

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.