Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,156 members, 7,825,613 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant (3316 Views)

Queen of Sheba Was Buried In Ijebu-Ode Here In Nigeria / Queen Of Sheba Supposed Palace / Atse Menelik II Of Ethiopia Unfulfilled Vision - Reconquering NE And E Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant by Nobody: 6:12pm On Dec 18, 2017
Queen of Sheba, king Solomon, Menelik I and Ark of the Covenant

Queen of Sheba was a woman who lived in 10th century BC. She is mentioned in the Hebrew Bible, Christian Bible, Quran and different other ancient texts. Different stories concerning her had been written, but the fullest and most significant version appears in the Ethiopian national saga, Kebra Nagast (Glory of Kings). Her Ethiopian name is "Makada".

The Kebra Nagast tells her story with the connection of King Solomon, Menelik I and Ark of the Covenant as,
King Solomon sought merchants from all over the world in order to buy materials for the building of the Temple. Among them was Tamrin, a great merchant of Queen Makeda of Ethiopia. Having returned to Ethiopia, Tamrin told the queen of the wonderful things he had seen in Jerusalem and of Solomon wisdom and generosity, whereupon she decided to visit Solomon.

She travels to Jerusalem and was warmly welcomed, given a palace for dwelling and received great gifts every day. Solomon and Makeda spoke with great wisdom and she was enthralled by his display of learning and knowledge and declares "From this moment, I will not worship the sun, but will worship the Creator of the sun, the God of Israel."

The night before she begins her journey home, there was a great feast in the king's palace. Makeda stayed in the palace overnight after Solomon had sworn that he would not do her any harm, while she swore in return that she would not steal from him. As the meals had been spicy, Makeda awoke thirsty at night and went to drink some water. When Solomon appeared and reminded her of her oath, she answered, "Ignore your oath, just let me drink water." They then had an intercourse and that same night, Solomon had a dream about the sun rising over Israel, but being mistreated and despised by the Jews, the sun moved to shine over Ethiopia. Solomon gave Makeda a ring as a token of faith and also for their child may identify himself to Solomon in the future. She then left. On her way home, she gave birth to a son, whom she named Baina-leḥkem ("Son of the Wise Man", later called Menilek).

At the age of 22, Menelik travels to Jerusalem by way of Gaza, seeking Solomon's blessing and identifies himself to his father with the ring. Overjoyed by this reunion, Solomon tried in vain to persuade him to stay and succeed him as king, but Menelik insists on returning to his mother in Ethiopia. King Solomon then gathered his nobles and announced that he would send his first-born son to Ethiopia together with their first-borns. He added that he was expecting a third son, who would marry the king of Rome's daughter and reign over Rome, so that the entire world would be ruled by David's descendants. Then Menelik was anointed king by Zadok, the high priest and he took the name David. The first born nobles who followed him are named. Menelik asked Solomon for a single tassel from the covering over the Ark of the Covenant and Solomon gave him the entire cloth. The priests sons, upset over leaving Jerusalem, then stolen the Ark of the Covenant from the Temple without no one knowledge (including Menelik) after their leader Azaryas had offered a sacrifice as commanded by one God's angel. With much wailing, the procession left Jerusalem on a wind cart lead and carried by the archangel Michael.

When the party reached the Red Sea, Azaryas revealed to Menelik and the people that the Ark of the Covenant is with them. Menelik (David) prayed to the Ark of the Covenant and the people rejoiced, singed, danced, blown horns and flutes and beaten drums. When Solomon learned that the Ark of the Covenant had been stolen, he sent a horseman after the thieves and even gave chase himself, but through the Ark of the Covenant mysterious power, his son with his entire entourage were miraculously flown home to Ethiopia and neither could catch them. King Solomon returned to Jerusalem and gave orders to the priests to remain silent about the theft and to place a copy of the Ark of the Covenant in the Temple, so that the foreign nations couldn't say that Israel had lost its fame. He then turned to solace from his wife, the daughter of the Pharaoh of Egypt, and she seduces him into worshiping the idols of her land.

Menelik arrived to Aksum and was welcomed by a feast. His mother Makeda abdicated the throne in his favor. Menelik then engaged in a series of military campaigns with the Ark of the Covenant and no man conquered him, on the contrary, whosoever attacked him was conquered.

Ethiopia became the new Zion and as a result, became spirituality superior over Israel.
Re: Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant by Mrjo(m): 6:29pm On Dec 18, 2017
Hmmm op why nah?
Re: Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant by Nobody: 6:45pm On Dec 18, 2017
Probably explained why Ethiopia was never conquered or colonized.
I heard it is still in Ethiopia till this day.

2 Likes

Re: Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant by Nobody: 7:15pm On Dec 18, 2017
Mrjo:
Hmmm op why nah?
Re: Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant by Nobody: 7:24pm On Dec 18, 2017
rafhell:
Probably explained why Ethiopia was never conquered or colonized.
I heard it is still in Ethiopia till this day.
Yeah it's believed to be so.
Re: Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant by Waltaw(m): 8:24pm On Dec 20, 2017
I didn't know Mekeda is her Ethiopian name.. and the kebra Negest contain the full story .. it's amazing..Thanks for the info

1 Like

Re: Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant by Nobody: 10:27pm On Dec 20, 2017
Waltaw:
I didn't know Mekeda is her Ethiopian name.. and the kebra Negest contain the full story .. it's amazing..Thanks for the info
No problem
Re: Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant by geosegun(m): 11:37pm On Dec 20, 2017
Why are these histories not popular in the religion circles? I hope it's not a concocted story? Any further evidence or quotes from different sources?
Re: Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant by Nobody: 11:53pm On Dec 20, 2017
geosegun:
Why are these histories not popular in the religion circles? I hope it's not a concocted story? Any further evidence or quotes from different sources?

- Queen of Sheba could have been the ruler of either Sudan or Ethiopia or Yemen or both Ethiopia and Sudan.
- King Solomon was definitely ruler of Israel.
- Menelik I is just a character
- Ark of the Covenant could be here in Ethiopia (Aksum Mary Zion church claims it) or destroyed or in some other places.

• But the story I had posted above is a legend created from the combination Bible, Arabic, Ethiopian and Sudan sources in ancient times.
Re: Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant by geosegun(m): 12:01am On Dec 22, 2017
Hati13:

- Queen of Sheba could have been the ruler of either Sudan or Ethiopia or Yemen or both Ethiopia and Sudan.
- Ark of the Covenant could be here in Ethiopia (Aksum Mary Zion church claims it) or destroyed or in some other places.

• But the story I had posted above is a legend created from the combination Bible, Arabic, Ethiopian and Sudan sources in ancient times.

I don't seemed to get the sentence" Menelik I is just a character"? Can you please expatriate?
Re: Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant by Nobody: 2:37am On Dec 22, 2017
geosegun:

I don't seemed to get the sentence" Menelik I is just a character"? Can you please expatriate?
I mean he seems a character created for the legend (there is no concert evidence which suggests his experience). But I'm still open minded for the possibility of his existence though.

1 Like

Re: Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant by RedboneSmith(m): 10:52am On Dec 22, 2017
I believe the entire story was created by later Kings of Ethiopia, after they displaced the Zagwe Dynasty in the 13th century AD.

If you were a Christian king, it makes total sense to try and manufacture links to the most fabulous king in Judaeo-Christian tradition (i.e., King Solomon).

1 Like

Re: Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant by Nobody: 12:35pm On Dec 22, 2017
RedboneSmith:
I believe the entire story was created by later Kings of Ethiopia, after they displaced the Zagwe Dynasty in the 13th century AD.

If you were a Christian king, it makes total sense to try and manufacture links to the most fabulous king in Judaeo-Christian tradition (i.e., King Solomon).
Yes you are right, but it wasn't by King rather by Ethiopian church members, foreigners and nobilities. The idea started to appear in 10th century AD and the writing of the legend was completed in 14th century AD.
Re: Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant by robosky02(m): 6:26pm On Dec 30, 2020
Waltaw:

Where is waltaw
Re: Queen Of Sheba, King Solomon, Menelik I And Ark Of The Covenant by Nobody: 6:33pm On Dec 31, 2020

There is this story that says she travelled down to Nigeria and died in Nigeria. That her grave is in Ogun State. They call her here Bilikis .

Google the grave of Queen of Sheba in Nigeria. You will see sites discussing it and there are videos of the site on YouTube.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Pictures From Ongoing Coronation Of Tor Tiv In Benue State. / Item Day[pictures] / Towns In Mahin Kingdom(ilajeland) By Olasemojo Olabamigbe John.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.