Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,164 members, 7,818,535 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Edo State Students Killing : 24 Years After - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Edo State Students Killing : 24 Years After (444 Views)

Anambra State Students Win Gold At International Debate Championship / Anambra State Students Emerge Runner-up In Global SDGs Competition In US / Delta State Students Protest Against Increase In School Fees (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo State Students Killing : 24 Years After by JothamPerfection(m): 6:53pm On Aug 25, 2017
THE STORY BEHIND THE STATUE IN FRONT OF THE STUDENT UNIONS GOVERNMENT (SUG) SECRETARIAT

BY THOMPSON JOTHAM

While I was walking down the road to student village my eye stubbled on an incription which says _in memory of the student that was killed by the agents of the State Aug 1994

I pondered and wondered​ and I told myself I must find out and tell the young generations
Am also sure that some past and present leaders didn't care to know

On the 20th of August 1994, a team of detectives from the Federal Intelligence and Investigation Bureau (FIIB) were arresting students.

This team was led by Deputy Inspector General of Police, Bappa Jamare. The violent crackdown on pro-democracy agitation promised by the late maximum ruler had begun. DIG Jamare's incursion into the University of Benin with his killer squad was in response to peaceful protest led by much disciplined university students challenging the usurpation of constitutional powers by Abacha.

This peaceful demonstration was later hijacked by paid agents, who visited mayhem on innocent people, which led to loss of lives and property*
*After hours of fire fight, Aikhomu's country home in Irrua was gutted; Anenih's Nova hotel in Benin, as well as the famous Palm Royal Hotel opposite the university went up in flames

This was the pretext that Abacha needed to send his armed men into UNIBEN, and the sleepy town of EKPOMA which hosts the first state university in Nigeria, the Ambrose Alli University.

At Ekpoma, countless Nigerian students were killed in cold blood, while those who escaped with injuries lived again to tell their stories

At Uniben, lots of female students were violently raped by armed mobile policemen who went for the kill.

It was to be a black day in UNIBEN also.* A day that continue to hunt them *where mobile policemen mowing down their girls in Hall 1, and subjecting them to rape and violation of their womanhoods

So many things happened

Re: Edo State Students Killing : 24 Years After by JothamPerfection(m): 6:53pm On Aug 25, 2017
more

Re: Edo State Students Killing : 24 Years After by ojun50(m): 6:58pm On Aug 25, 2017
Rip to them
Re: Edo State Students Killing : 24 Years After by HMZi: 7:06pm On Aug 25, 2017
wont lie,its the first time i'am hearing o this....so sad but our security operatives still operate like this till today... #naija
Re: Edo State Students Killing : 24 Years After by JothamPerfection(m): 8:34pm On Aug 25, 2017
mynd44. seun let mourn with them
Re: Edo State Students Killing : 24 Years After by Nobody: 1:04am On Aug 26, 2017
RIP

(1) (Reply)

CRUTECH Post UTME Screening Exercise Form Is Out / Re: Fire Incident At Anchor University: Setting The Record Straight / Drop Your Uniben Screening Date.!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.