Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,939 members, 7,821,287 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:57 AM

JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU (13432 Views)

List Of JAMB Cut-Off Marks For All Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges / The Implications Of The Lowered JAMB Cut Off Marks For Our Education System / JAMB Fixes Cut Off Marks For Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges Of Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by sinkhole: 8:30am On Aug 26, 2017
Jonlota12:
ASUU has don more harm than good
I am not understanding you Dey did harm by saying 120 cut-off mark is too low, that 25% or 30% is not a pass?
Na 120 out of 400 oh embarassed
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by PinocchioDMZ: 8:31am On Aug 26, 2017
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by oluwafemiisaiah(m): 8:34am On Aug 26, 2017
alryt
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by prosnadis(m): 8:39am On Aug 26, 2017
xynerise:
They did it to favour the northerners...

Let us allow them because i believe that if majority of them have access to qualitative education,they will be less restive and it will go a long way in reducing this menace of boko haram and other vices
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by Martinez19(m): 8:39am On Aug 26, 2017
grin grin grin Oga o
Loftyboy:
Powerful Quote of the day:

"Sometimes change will not be given to you; you must ask for it." - JM

Who is JM? Jamiu Moshood is a bus conductor.
Now read the quote again.
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by xynerise: 8:48am On Aug 26, 2017
prosnadis:
Let us allow them because i believe that if majority of them have access to qualitative education,they will be less restive and it will go a long way in reducing this menace of boko haram and other vices

You think so?
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by cinothed0n: 8:54am On Aug 26, 2017
pressplay411:
That's still 100 over 400 right? Just to be sure.
How then can you demand excellence from the students when they were admitted on mediocrity?
I suspect the Jamb registrar's dumb kid wrote and failed the exam. Trust me, the cut off would be reversed next year after his admission.
#Onlyfor9ja
i stand with you on this
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by Bullhari007(m): 8:56am On Aug 26, 2017
emandman:
Nothing bad about this...the best students will still stand a better chance.
We make education too hard I'm Nigeria,we all know few people who are average but went on to become best of their classes in the USA.
Some universities in Nigeria have no business setting there cutoff at 200 with the weak standard of such schools
Let us have ivy-league standard universities reserved for the genius students and let others with lower brain have a chance at quality education too.
if you can't score 200 in jamb how do you plan to make the difference when you are admitted into the University... all this nonsense is to favour Ndi ukwu abi Ndi Ala
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by reyscrub(m): 8:56am On Aug 26, 2017
You guys that are supporting ASUU never know the hiddenbagenda of ASUU. FG set cut off to 120 but give any university freedom to set their own cut off to whatever they want. This means that if OAU like, he can set own to 200 or 250 as convenient with them. JAMB never limit any school to any fix cut off mark but must be 120 and above.

Why then is ASUU cry? The reason is that soon and very soon, pre degree will be useless and every student that attempt the JAMB MUST also attempt the second screening mode any school adopt.

If so that pre degree will be useless and their cool loading money block and our children will be admired without almighty pre degree fees of 150,000 just for a year without PDS certificate, then let us believe that FG knows what their doing.
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by leditexy(m): 9:08am On Aug 26, 2017
I see reasons with mr. omole, Jamb need to be scrapped because they have outlived their usefulness and let each school set and conduct their entrance exams period.
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by EponOjuku: 9:24am On Aug 26, 2017
I attended a Unity School in Lagos. The Northerners came in with very ridiculous cut off marks against southerners with very high scores.

By the time we got to SS2, most of the Northern students had withdrawn due to poor academic performance.

3 Likes

Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by NevetsIbot(m): 9:34am On Aug 26, 2017
Loftyboy:
Powerful Quote of the day:
"Sometimes change will not be given to you; you must ask for it." - JM
Who is JM? Jamiu Moshood is a bus conductor. Now read the quote again. �
... hahahahahahahahahahahahah
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by buffalowings: 9:51am On Aug 26, 2017
Sapiosexuality:
Most of the comments universities so far have been appalling. They don't seem to understand what Jamb really did. I even heard that some rejected it. Lol. They should be telling Jamb that that reduction is an invitation to mediocrity in the system not that they won't take it. Were you asked to take it. I think I will write something about this.

The issue is that there is gonna be more room for corruption
When I got admission into oau there were pockets of guys that gained admission without getting the cut of mark for their chosen course of study

They were admitted so long they got past 200

Lowering the cut off mark yet again is a recipe for disaster.

It is unthinkable that the body would even consider admission for students scoring 25% when in the grading system in secondary schools , this is outright failure
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by highness25(m): 10:00am On Aug 26, 2017
kamikaze199044:
Ibadan—The Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, has faulted the Federal Government on the minimum cut-off mark for 2017/2018 admission into the nation’s tertiary institutions.

The academic union was reacting to the JAMB Registrar, Ishaq Oloyede’s announcement pegging the minimum scores for admission into University and Polytechnic at 120 and 100 respectively.

He had said: “30 per cent of those in higher institutions do not take JAMB or have less than the cut-off marks. The admission process is now automated with direct involvement of the registrar of JAMB for final approval. We have agreed to regularize admissions that were done under the table this year. From next year we will not accept anything like that.” But, speaking with newsmen in Ibadan, Chairman ASUU, University of Ibadan, Dr Deji Omole described the new cut-off marks as a sad policy decision for the future of Nigeria. According to Omole, rather than sanctioning the identified universities who admitted over 17,000 students illegally, the JAMB registrar simply regularised illegality and lowered cut-off marks to favour the interests of the friends of government who own private universities and are hell bent on destroying public education. While calling for the scrapping of JAMB, Omole said students should apply directly to universities of their choice for admission. The ASUU boss said; “Where are those that JAMB registrar said entered universities illegally? which universities admitted them? If 30 percent did not take JAMB and found their way into the university system is that not corruption and a message that JAMB is not significant any more? What sanction did those who did the illegal thing receive other than regularization of illegality. We are watching because long before now we have said that JAMB has outlived its usefulness. Let the universities set their unique standards and those who are qualified can come in. “Even in those days 40 percent was graded as fail. But now JAMB said with F9, which is scoring 30 percent, you can be admitted. They deliberately want to destroy education. Even for polytechnic 100 marks is 25 percent. It is sad. And that is where we are in Nigeria. They want to destroy public education at all cost. This is not setting standard for education in Nigeria. It is purely lowering standards and digging the grave for the future. This is why ASUU is currently on the struggle to influence the government to do the needful for education in Nigeria,” he said.

Source: http://www.mycybergist.com/2017/08/jamb-cut-off-marks-sad-decision-for.html
so the strike you people embarked is not a sad decision for the future? When you and I know the fight is just for your stomach (stomach infrastructure)
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by smartnero24(m): 11:22am On Aug 26, 2017
My friend scored above 300 several times in the early 2000's and was still not admitted to study MedSurge talk about competition. 120 is a disgrace on our education system, I'm sure they would have done same with waec if it were possible.

Sad news for Nigeria
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by domablaze: 11:25am On Aug 26, 2017
Jamb an an institution have suffered so much in the hands of Prof. Ishaq. Prof Ishaq's administration has shown a lot of mediocrity. I keep wondering how he got appointed. Some of Buhari's appointment has been the undoing of his administration. The opposition are gathering campaign facts. I'm so disappointed. I had high hopes and expectation from this administration, which so far has left electorates wondering how they voted for this Buhari led government.
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by RONDOKENKE: 12:14pm On Aug 26, 2017
[quote[b]]Collapsing any nation does not require the use of atomic bombs or the use of long range missiles. It only requires lowering the quality of education and allowing cheating in the examinations by the students[/b].[/quote]

The patient dies in the hand of such doctors
And the buildings collapse in the hands of such engineers.
And the money is lost in the hands of such accountants.
And humanity dies in the hands of such religious scholars.
And justice is lost in the hands of such judges ...
The collapse of education is the collapse of the nation

Reference
Hisham Kamis. A University Professor in South Africa
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by Abuhumaira: 1:19pm On Aug 26, 2017
Permanent shut up, this Professor obviously know his salt and onions

Controversy on cut off mark: UTME not for admission purpose but for Ranking -- Professor Oloyede (JAMB Registrar

The Interview

The decision to reduce the cut-off mark to 120 for universities and 100 for polytechnics has met with criticism from many quarters. It seems it is not a popular decision.......

You see, the issue is that people who are not familiar with a matter, rather than keeping their peace, will be commenting on things that they know little about. Our examination is not an achievement test. It is not a qualifying examination; rather, it is a ranking examination. Anybody that we want to admit into the university must basically have his five credits. It is not JAMB that qualifies them. But, because we don’t have space for all of them, we decide to rank them. What we had been doing was to ensure that nobody who scored less than 200 had a chance. But, this year, we are saying that anybody who scores up to 120 has a chance. With 200, we have never filled our quota in the last 10 years. Some of those who scored over 200 do not have five credits in their O level results.

And you cannot be admitted if you don’t have five credits. Those who are talking have not even dissected the problem, yet they are making recommendations. Other agencies all over the world, like the UKEAS in the United Kingdom, also rank candidates. Some of them do not even conduct any examination. Our examination is not a qualifying examination, it is a ranking examination. What that means is that you can’t admit anybody unless he is qualified. What qualifies an individual is the O level, not the UTME. The children of those who are objecting to this decision go to the UK to study. Do they write the UTME there? They are unfair to the common man who has not stolen money to study in Ghana and the UK. It is part of a class war that the poor man must be kept under.

This is a ranking examination and this is a decision of all vice-chancellors, provosts and rectors. Commentators cannot claim to know more than these people do because they are commenting out of ignorance. If you have 10 spaces and five of your children are qualified, then you look for a way of ranking them. You can use age. It does not mean that the number six child is not qualified. But, because he came sixth, then you take the first five.

And you can decide on three male children and two female children. So, the fourth male child will not say that you are unfair because there is a parameter. So, our examination is for ranking purposes. We want to rank all qualified candidates and what makes them qualified is the O level. As I speak with you, there was no time in the last 10 years that we have filled 70 per cent of the quota. The colleges of education and polytechnics are there doing nothing. And they kept on admitting students under the table. We are saying no more under-the-table deals. Come and tell us what you are doing under the table and let us see it. But people are commenting on matters that that they are not familiar with.

But 120/400 is a far cry from a pass mark…

I have answered that question. It is not the UTME that qualifies the candidate for admission. It is a ranking examination. We are not telling you to admit this or that candidate. Let me give you an example. Someone scores 300 and another scores 140, the person with 300 has four credits and the person with 140 has five credits. What it means is that you cannot take the candidate with 300 and you cannot also admit the candidate with 140. That is what we have been doing. What we are now saying is that JAMB is a clearing house. That is why people are faking our results and for them, it is a do or die affair. This is because we have created an unnecessary hurdle. Everywhere in the world, what qualifies candidates is the O level. The same thing applies to us. But because we do not have enough space, we have set an examination for them to rank them. Th
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by Basdkg(m): 3:06pm On Aug 26, 2017
xynerise:
They did it to favour the northerners...

Hey Hey maintain ur word
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by tosyne2much(m): 3:53pm On Aug 26, 2017
cstr1000:

Obviously.
The standard always has to be watered down for those neanderthals in every sector of Nigerian life.
Is this really true?
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by blimeyVic(m): 3:57pm On Aug 26, 2017
Hello Nigerians, the cut-off wasn't reduced
to favour any part of the country.

It was introduced to help government ( the present administration) generate more funds for executing capital projects nationwide .

It would have a temporary "contractionary" effect on the economy, but in the long-run, things should get better.

Ignore any calls for mass protest against the development.

The universities would not admit more than the
installed facilities can carry.
And if Your ward gets 121 as a jamb score, that's Your failure to supervise their academic activities.
# Cut-offs mean nothing. There are many students in schools who aren't motivated enough to take lectures seriously.
# God bless Nigeria.
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by xynerise: 5:34pm On Aug 26, 2017
Basdkg:
Hey Hey maintain ur word

Sharap!
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by Nikkyissakhutie(f): 8:02pm On Aug 26, 2017
Rumplesteelskin:
This is what happens when Mallams are the ones calling the shots..
shut up joor. ..what do you know
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by CioAngels(f): 9:41pm On Aug 26, 2017
If indeed it is done to favour the north, rather than making it better for them, the minister of education and oloyede is further destroying their lives becos they have blocked their chances of meeting up in external exams. Minister, i see you as a good person for saying it as it should be, but with this, you are wrong, have trained teachers and not governor's child with ordinary pass to teach. Allow these children to face good competition so that they will have good education, this idea of just go to school, pass or fail you will have good government job, sir you are destroying them becos you are not training them for external challenges. Healthy competition is good for them. For how long will you spoon feed them?
Re: JAMB Cut-off Marks : Sad Decision For The Future – ASUU by AvatarMode(m): 10:23pm On Aug 26, 2017
Cut off mark,120? Hmmm,that is the worst decision the tertiary academic body has made.This is a further encouragement to this generation of 'read-less' students.

(1) (2) (Reply)

See What Happened To Conjoined Twins Separated By Ben Carson / Fire Outbreak at WAEC's National Office In Yaba / JAMB Reopens Portal For UTME Registration For Just 48hours

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.