Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,602 members, 7,816,497 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Do You Believe There Is Satan? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Believe There Is Satan? (1739 Views)

Do You Believe There's Curse Of The First Born / What Would Make You Believe There Is No God? / Is Satan Really As Bad As Christians Make Him Out To Be? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Believe There Is Satan? by saharachic(f): 8:57am On Feb 20, 2010
This is a deep topic.your answer might be influenced by ur belief in evil, witches, spirits,mermaids etc
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by saharachic(f): 9:33am On Feb 20, 2010
The topic is suppose to be Do you believe in Satan. it can also mean if u believe in the spiritual,earthly,wordly satan
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by Nobody: 9:48am On Feb 20, 2010
PDP comes to mind readily
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by jagunlabi(m): 9:51am On Feb 20, 2010
Let us accept, hypothetically, that there exists a character called, "satan", i ask you, so what?
Why is that worth discussing?What is so relevant about this character?
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by Iyineda(m): 12:45pm On Feb 20, 2010
Nope. I do not believe in the existence of Satan. smiley
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by benodic: 11:17pm On Feb 20, 2010
i know that satan exist. his job given to him by God is to tempt all souls to find out those souls who have learnt the lessons of love and those who have not.
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by Dolemite(f): 2:27am On Feb 21, 2010
Lol, there IS no God or Satan, no hell or heaven. . .and this is coming from a believer of 18 years, finally discovered that Christianity is total bullshit, thank god tongue . . .
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by jagunlabi(m): 8:40am On Feb 21, 2010
From that perspective, this satan character is suddenly interesting.A helper in the evolution of the soul.
benodic:

i know that satan exist. his job given to him by God is to tempt all souls to find out those souls who have learnt the lessons of love and those who have not.
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by blackcypha(m): 1:34pm On Feb 21, 2010
I belief in two forces, good and evil existent binb nature , PERIOD

Dolemite:

Lol, there IS no God or Satan, no hell or heaven. . .and this is coming from a believer of 18 years, finally discovered that Christianity is total bullshit, thank god tongue . . .
so how did u come ABOUT YOUR DISCOVERY after 18 yrs of service ,
pls share with us cuz am dead curious!
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by akin101: 2:07pm On Feb 21, 2010
i think the real devil is man,
too many people give de real devil credit for most of the atrocities commited by man
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by benodic: 11:22pm On Feb 21, 2010
dear dolemite,
i am sorry for your loss. after 18 years you lost your faith. i can assure you that christianity is not bullshit. the only problem you may have with a religion is if it is not backed with spiritual experiences. this spiritual experiences comes when your heart has been opened to God's love. i can also assure you that once you drop the physical body through the process called death, you will awakened as soul and you will come face to face with God and then there will be no more pretences. and i really do not care whether you bellieve it or not. you either have to find the truth for yourself now or wait until you translate. as for man being the devil, there are 2 forces flowing through our being. one is the negative force personified by the devil or satan and the other is the positive force personified by the holyspirit. we have to choose whether we are going to be a channel for the devil or a channel for the holyspirit. the choice is entirely up to you.
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by mamagee3(f): 11:27pm On Feb 21, 2010
Poster. . .

Do you believe you're indeed a daft?
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by Dolemite(f): 12:36am On Feb 22, 2010
benodic:

dear dolemite,
i am sorry for your loss. after 18 years you lost your faith. i can assure you that christianity is not bullshit. the only problem you may have with a religion is if it is not backed with spiritual experiences. this spiritual experiences comes when your heart has been  opened to God's love. i can also assure you that once you drop the physical body through the process called death, you will awakened as soul and you will come face to face with God and then there will be no more pretences. and i really do not care whether you bellieve it or not. you either have to find the truth for yourself now or wait until you translate. as for man being the devil, there are 2 forces flowing through our being. one is the negative force personified by the devil or satan and the other is the positive force personified by the holyspirit. we have to choose whether we are going to be a channel for the devil or a channel for the holyspirit. the choice is entirely up to  you.

Lol, i have found the truth, God doesn't exist and i don't expect you to be convienced, years ago i was naive and blind just like you. . .believing there's a God in the sky, watching over me and if i don't conform to his laws he'll cast me into the firey pits of hell. . .but he loves me lmao. I only became a Christian because I was raised in a Christian home, once i got into university and had some independence, i asked my self questions about this God stuff, wasn't getting too many answers, after reading the bible doing research, finding out that there were thousands of other pagan gods with similar stories like that of Christ eg Mithra. . . the whole Catholic agenda (Crusades toturing people in the name of God, the church owning brothels, Pedophilia) and Benny Hinn's fake miracles. . .the whole religion is based on fear, i'm not afraid anymore. . .if i do something messed up, i'll hang my head in shame and take responsibility, not blaming some satan being that only exists after thousands of years of folk tales.

. . . .oh and these spiritual experiences you speak of, i have had those, now i KNOW it's all in your head psychological experiences. . .do this experiment, for one week pray to an empty water bottle, ask it for everything you need, believe in it just for that week, i garrantee you if you devote yourself wholly to this act you'll get the same spiritual experiences you did from 'god'. . .
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by Nobody: 4:01am On Feb 22, 2010
Of course. He's alive and well, and always at work. But where there's light, darkness cannot prevail. All I've to do is call on the name of Jesus and he flees.

Dolemite, I'm sorry to hear that. Jesus and Christianity are not the same. That's one of the problems with some teachings today. They put too much emphasis on Religion, rules and the-like, you end up losing sight of what really matters, and that's a personal relationship with Jesus. That's it. He's all you need. You don't need Religion. Religion isn't going to save or do anything for you. And a relationship with him isn't based on fear. You fear God to love and get closer to him, not move away from him. God loves you more than you'll ever know; even right now, he still does. But it seems you've made up your mind. I just hope someday soon, you'll go back to him.
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by benodic: 12:38pm On Feb 22, 2010
dear dolemite,
thanks for your reply. you have really made much gains spiritually by realizing that you have to take responsibility for your actions. this is a step that takes lots of souls a very long time to come to that realization. we and we alone are responsible for whatever happens to us and not God or the devil. congratulations for that awareness.
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 4:23pm On Feb 22, 2010
[size=13pt]Yes, i believe in Satan and i worship him. . . . . kiss[/size]
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Feb 22, 2010
Ogaga4Luv:

[size=13pt]Yes, i believe in Satan and i worship him. . . . . kiss[/size]

Yes u do
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Feb 22, 2010
Satan is not confined to the bottomless pit or the lake of fire and brimstone at this time. He is free to roam in the "air" until Jesus comes back for His second coming. After Jesus comes back, Satan is then thrown into the bottomless pit for a 1000 years and then eventually into the Lake of Fire and Brimstone at the end of the 1000 Millennium Kingdom[b][/b]
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 5:21pm On Feb 22, 2010
wink wink wink
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by Dolemite(f): 5:46pm On Feb 22, 2010
Yield:

Dolemite, I'm sorry to hear that. Jesus and Christianity are not the same. That's one of the problems with some teachings today. They put too much emphasis on Religion, rules and the-like, you end up losing sight of what really matters, and that's a personal relationship with Jesus. That's it. He's all you need. You don't need Religion. Religion isn't going to save or do anything for you.

Jesus Christ is a fairy tale character - maybe a man like him did exist once, but his history is flawed greatly, his story was inspired by pagan gods like Mithra, Dionysus etc (hope you read on these gods) why do i need to give my life to a psychological placebo who makes you feel good for 30 minutes? I was high on the Jesus juice like you for a long long time, until reality slapped me hard on the face - my life has never been better, i STILL go to church every once in a while - it's an entertaining experience, apart from that it's just mental masterbation done by desperate people, which is what makes it good to Christian lol.

Yield:

And a relationship with him isn't based on fear. You fear God to love and get closer to him, not move away from him. God loves you more than you'll ever know; even right now, he still does. But it seems you've made up your mind. I just hope someday soon, you'll go back to him.
Oh come on now, even you should know that the whole Jesus gospel is based on fear and intimidation - if hell didn't exist would you be a Christian? honestly ask yourself that . . . it's like the fairy tales you watch on tales by moonlight - the disobidient child always gets eatten by the lion or what not, conform to morals or perish bla bla bla, i preached this bullshit to people once. . . that is the purpose of the whole Jesus gospel, it was deviced by men to put other men in check. . . and you say God loves me, which one? Allah? Buddah? Hari Krishna?. . .
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by Ogaga4Luv(m): 5:59pm On Feb 22, 2010
[size=13pt]There were many Gospels in circulation in the early centuries, and a large number of them were forgeries. Among these were the "Gospel of Paul," the Gospel of Bartholomew," the "Gospel of Judas Iscariot," the "Gospel of the Egyptians," the "Gospel or Recollections of Peter," the "Oracles or Sayings of Christ," and scores of other pious productions, a collection of which may still be read in "The Apocryphal New Testament." Obscure men wrote Gospels and attached the names of prominent Christian characters to them, to give them the appearance of importance. Works were forged in the names of the apostles, and even in the name of Christ. The greatest Christian teachers taught that it was a virtue to deceive and lie for the glory of the faith. Dean Milman, the standard Christian historian, says: "Pious fraud was admitted and avowed." The Rev. Dr. Giles writes: "There can be no doubt that great numbers of books were then written with no other view than to deceive." Professor Robertson Smith says: "There was an enormous floating mass of spurious literature created to suit party views." The early church was flooded with spurious religious writings. From this mass of literature, our Gospels were selected by priests and called the inspired word of God. Were these Gospels also forged? There is no certainty that they were not. But let me ask: If Christ was an historical character, why was it necessary to forge documents to prove his existence? Did anybody ever think of forging documents to prove the existence of any person who was really known to have lived? The early Christian forgeries are a tremendous testimony to the weakness of the Christian cause.[/size]
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by Nobody: 2:10pm On Mar 03, 2010
I Beleive there is Satan. and that he is Powerful

But i dont have belief in him But Jesus Christ.
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by mantraa: 4:38pm On Mar 03, 2010
do this experiment, for one week pray to an empty water bottle, ask it for everything you need, believe in it just for that week, i garrantee you if you devote yourself wholly to this act you'll get the same spiritual experiences you did from 'god'. . .

Thanks Dolomite. This is truly amazing. I have been praying to the empty water bottle for six days now and in that time i have received a rebate from the taxman of £3500, promotion in my job, and a niggling pain in my shoulder has miraculously cleared up! This really works!! I have told all my friends and family about it. They dont believe me, but i told them that it will only work if you have total 100% faith in it. It is also very therapeutic and calming to clear my mind of all distractions and stare at the bottle for ten minutes at the end of each day. Sometimes, if i concentrate hard enough, i can 'hear' it talking back to me and the voice seems to get louder and louder in my head until it is perfectly clear the advice it is giving me. Wow!!
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by Nimshi: 1:42am On Mar 04, 2010
Well, at least, we read from the Bible that Satan was one of God's direct creations.

He even tricked God into agreeing to torture Job.

And he wasn't born by a nice-looking Jewish gil who got herself pregnant and announced it was a miracle.

And, he's no pussy cat: started an insurrected, got ousted, and found another place for himself here on earth, where it's definitely much more action than bowing down day and night and singing Hallelujah to the Hebrew tribal god.

Smart chap, if you looked at it.

And, what's more: he actually told Eve the truth in the garden too. Who wouldn't be impressed by a perfect/believable ventriloquist?

Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by dblue: 7:57am On Mar 04, 2010
But you need to know that God created that water.
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by wirinet(m): 8:31pm On Mar 04, 2010
Dolemite:

Lol, i have found the truth, God doesn't exist and i don't expect you to be convienced, years ago i was naive and blind just like you. . .believing there's a God in the sky, watching over me and if i don't conform to his laws he'll cast me into the firey pits of hell. . .but he loves me lmao. I only became a Christian because I was raised in a Christian home, once i got into university and had some independence, i asked my self questions about this God stuff, wasn't getting too many answers, after reading the bible doing research, finding out that there were thousands of other pagan gods with similar stories like that of Christ eg Mithra. . . the whole Catholic agenda (Crusades toturing people in the name of God, the church owning brothels, Pedophilia) and Benny Hinn's fake miracles. . .the whole religion is based on fear, i'm not afraid anymore. . .if i do something messed up, i'll hang my head in shame and take responsibility, not blaming some satan being that only exists after thousands of years of folk tales.

. . . .oh and these spiritual experiences you speak of, i have had those, now i KNOW it's all in your head psychological experiences. . .do this experiment, for one week pray to an empty water bottle, ask it for everything you need, believe in it just for that week, i garrantee you if you devote yourself wholly to this act you'll get the same spiritual experiences you did from 'god'. . .

That singular statement i bolded in red is brilliant, discovering it is like reaching Buddhahood, and you suddenly realize that you are free and free indeed. You become free from fear of God(s), satan, devils, angels, spirits, demons, witches, mammy water and lots of others. Achieving a state of fearlessness can indeed be exhilarating, you need to experience it to to the joy therein.

I remember that the first conflict i had with Christianity was how can i fear something and at the same time love it, it is a paradox. Because fear is a negative emotion often associated with danger and hated, so how could one love what you fear.
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by manmustwac(m): 9:30pm On Mar 04, 2010
Dolemite:

congrats on coming out of the box of religion dolemite.

mantraa:

Thanks Dolomite. This is truly amazing. I have been praying to the empty water bottle for six days now and in that time i have received a rebate from the taxman of £3500, promotion in my job, and a niggling pain in my shoulder has miraculously cleared up! This really works!! I have told all my friends and family about it. They dont believe me, but i told them that it will only work if you have total 100% faith in it. It is also very therapeutic and calming to clear my mind of all distractions and stare at the bottle for ten minutes at the end of each day. Sometimes, if i concentrate hard enough, i can 'hear' it talking back to me and the voice seems to get louder and louder in my head until it is perfectly clear the advice it is giving me. Wow!!
well am gonna try praying to a empty bottle of water mantraa coz i seriously do need a break. cheers
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by Ascony(m): 10:28pm On Mar 04, 2010
That singular statement i bolded in red is brilliant, discovering it is like reaching Buddhahood, and you suddenly realize that you are free and free indeed. You become free from fear of God(s), satan, devils, angels, spirits, demons, witches, mammy water and lots of others. Achieving a state of fearlessness can indeed be exhilarating, you need to experience it to to the joy therein.

I remember that the first conflict i had with Christianity was how can i fear something and at the same time love it, it is a paradox. Because fear is a negative emotion often associated with danger and hated, so how could one love what you fear.

That singular statement i bolded is brilliant,
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by DeepSight(m): 10:14am On Mar 05, 2010
Dolemite:

Lol, i have found the truth, God doesn't exist and i don't expect you to be convienced, years ago i was naive and blind just like you. . .believing there's a God in the sky, watching over me and if i don't conform to his laws he'll cast me into the firey pits of hell. . .but he loves me lmao.

Hi Dolemite -

Let's have a walk through.

From the foregoing it is manifestly clear that your problem with the God idea is the ridiculous description of GOD and his purposes set forth by religion, myth and legend. For you said - ". . . .believing there's a God in the sky, watching over me and if i don't conform to his laws he'll cast me into the firey pits of hell. . .but he loves me lmao."

Can we set religion firmly aside: i myself despise religion - and i subscribe to none.

Given that the assertions of Religion are nonsensical -

Does this -

1. Eliminate the logical consistency of the existence of a FIRST CAUSE for all that exists?

2. Eliminate the possibility that that FIRST CAUSE could posess the quality of intelligence?

Please answer me on these: and we may progress the discussion.
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by wirinet(m): 12:23pm On Mar 05, 2010
Deep Sight:

Hi Dolemite -

Let's have a walk through.

From the foregoing it is manifestly clear that your problem with the God idea is the ridiculous description of GOD and his purposes set forth by religion, myth and legend. For you said - ". . . .believing there's a God in the sky, watching over me and if i don't conform to his laws he'll cast me into the firey pits of hell. . .but he loves me lmao."

Can we set religion firmly aside: i myself despise religion - and i subscribe to none.

Given that the assertions of Religion are nonsensical -

Does this -

1. Eliminate the logical consistency of the existence of a FIRST CAUSE for all that exists?

2. Eliminate the possibility that that FIRST CAUSE could posess the quality of intelligence?

Please answer me on these: and we may progress the discussion.

My brother how are you doing? I see you are still asking those questions that a lot of people have dealt with over and over again.

Let me answer from my atheist views once again.

We cannot eliminate the possibility of a first cause, just as we cannot eliminate the possibility of a second cause or a series of second causes as a result of the first cause. Also there is the possibility of many first causes goings on to cause multiple second causes and third causes. We might be a result of multiple causes.

I do not understand what you mean by FIRST CAUSE possessing the quality of intelligence. You have to please explain what you mean by intelligence. To me intelligence connotes some kind of brain activity or at worst some kind of Neural activity. Are you suggesting that the first cause possesses a brain?

Please take a look at the causes below, can you say that the patterns were created by intelligent causes.

1. The perfect helical shape of a snail's shell

2. The beautiful patterned lines of a sand dune.
[img]http://4.bp..com/_I1bXPvYRMA4/SAGxYT8X7aI/AAAAAAAAAvU/6vktnTU8QkU/s400/sand-dunes.jpg[/img]

Please indulge me to also add this.

The beautiful shape of a spiral galaxy

Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by DeepSight(m): 1:01pm On Mar 05, 2010
wirinet:

My brother how are you doing? I see you are still asking those questions that a lot of people have dealt with over and over again.

Nobody has ever addressed these questions for me on this Forum.

We cannot eliminate the possibility of a first cause, just as we cannot eliminate the possibility of a second cause or a series of second causes as a result of the first cause. Also there is the possibility of many first causes goings on to cause multiple second causes and third causes. We might be a result of multiple causes.

In philosophical terms any multidude of causes cannot be traceable to a further multitude. I am certain that that is inconceivable under the principles of cause and effect and i dare say mathematics. It rather makes sense to hold apparent causes as reducible in origin to a reducing number of causes and given that an infinite regress of causes is internally inconsistent with the very meaning of the term "Causation" - then we can only have ONE  ultimate cause.

And even if the foregoing is flawed: which you will have to show me; then i may still ask what is wrong with regarding a multitude of Causes as God; afterall God is said to be Infinite and Compound, no?

I do not understand what you mean by FIRST CAUSE possessing the quality of intelligence. You have to please explain what you mean by intelligence. To me intelligence connotes some kind of brain activity or at worst some kind of Neural activity. Are you suggesting that the first cause possesses a brain?

YOU are an atheist who is a non-materialist; as such i am surprised that you imagine the quality of Intelligence to be strictly contingent on matter.
Re: Do You Believe There Is Satan? by InesQor(m): 1:31pm On Mar 05, 2010
@Dolemite:

Dolemite:

Evil people breathe,drink,eat and make love, yet we do not renounce air,water,food and se_x. Why do we then renounce God just because evil people call His name and claim to know Him?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The First Contact Between A Christian And A Muslim / Did Mary Remain A Virgin After The Birth Of Jesus? / The Fate Of Atheists

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.