Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:51 AM

Pon Pon Music : How Davido, Tekno, Runtown Are Spearheading A New Trend - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Pon Pon Music : How Davido, Tekno, Runtown Are Spearheading A New Trend (21550 Views)

Banky W Now Doing Music How He Wants It — Adesua Etomi / Davido, Tekno, Flavour, Don Jazzy Photoshopped Into Chioma, Omoni, Uche, Ufuoma / Davido: Tekno Thank You, If Changed My Life!!! (2) (3) (4)

Re: Pon Pon Music : How Davido, Tekno, Runtown Are Spearheading A New Trend by shadrach77: 4:33pm On Aug 27, 2017
The pon pon sound which has the sound "ke ke ke...keke" is a popular sound in western Nigeria (yoruba) region..very popular in yoruba churches but was branded by Davido
Re: Pon Pon Music : How Davido, Tekno, Runtown Are Spearheading A New Trend by Nobody: 4:34pm On Aug 27, 2017
what is pon pon or u mean peee peee for d noisy car horn
Re: Pon Pon Music : How Davido, Tekno, Runtown Are Spearheading A New Trend by DJperdurabo: 5:29pm On Aug 27, 2017
Synord:

When Davido Adeleke announced he was returning
back to the basics and going back to his African
style of music after being forced by Sony to do
western style of music which resulted in the coldly
received “Son of Mercy” EP, many were expectant
of the results of his new strategy.

That back tobasics strategy birthed the monster hit “IF” andbrought Davido back into the certified hit status.The song which was laced on an instrumental with snares and percussion was very melodious with its distinct kick sounds of Pon Pon and went on to
become a mega hit in the country with one of the
song lines ‘30 billion for the akant o’

Davido capitalizing on the success of IF, went
ahead to record another song similar and laced on
the Pon Pon styled instrumental and he titled it
“FALL”; FALL is doing incredibly well also. Many
noticed this trend and called out the star but he
addressed them in Olamide’s Summer Body even
shouting Pon Pon at the beginning of the track..

For Davido, Pon Pon represents the African sound
which has been termed local and despite this, he is
sticking to the local sound claiming it is paying him
more. He went ahead to diss Wizkid for his so
called western sounds claiming all other sounds
apart from the local Pon Pon sound is not relevant
and Wizkid responded that artistes either stay local
or try and move to the international scene..

Recently, Wizkid released a MasterKraft produced
track titled ‘Medicine’, a typical example of the Pon
Pon styled music taking over the industry. He
followed up with Odoo, again produced by
MasterKraft, another musical piece with the Pon Pon
instrumentation. Wizkid went as far as ensuring a
remix with Phyno and Flavour was made.
Apparently, the battle between Wizkid and Davido is
not ending anytime soon as fans have began
comparing who is killing the Pon Pon African sound
more.

It seems every body is now jumping on the Pon
Pon wave. From Tekno who claimed to be the Pon
Pon king with songs like Yawa, Rara to Mayourkun
with the smash hit Mama and the Mega smash hit
“Mad over you” by Runtown, we might just be in for
a new genre of music that will rule the Nigerian
music industry for the rest of the year and probably
next year as every artiste looks forward to dropping
a number one single and the Pon Pon styled singles
seems to be a sure way to achieve this feat.

Whoever fans stick with and whoever the Creator of
this new appealing sound is, one thing is for sure,
other artists are jumping on the Pon Pon wave and
African music is ready to take over the world. The
person pushing it matters not, the desired goal is
worldwide acceptance of our music, artistes and
culture and we are getting there.

Source - www.tushmagazine.com.ng/pon-pon-music-new-genre-music-stay/

The "pon pon" style of music as it is termed in my opinion will not last for long. While being minimalist in instrumentation and structure, which of course also includes the lyrics I doubt if it an be sustained for long with respect to continuously engaging the listener.

I believe any artiste intent on truly making a mark locally and otherwise shouldn't bank on the "pon pon" trend but rather embrace it while experimenting with other sounds...maybe sounds from the other side?

Meanwhile, holla at your boy for all your social events. Truly Professional DJ and Compere in town now to handle ALL your entertainment and social needs professionally; our services transcends just music. I'm talking about perfect customer care and a service that will blow you and yours away. More info coming your way soon.

Regards.
Re: Pon Pon Music : How Davido, Tekno, Runtown Are Spearheading A New Trend by DJperdurabo: 5:45pm On Aug 27, 2017
Frenchfriez:
Lots of trashy Nigerian songs that emphasise beats over lyrics. Its all about producing something which can ensure girls of easy virtues have something to shake their arses to in the video.
Nigerian music is only fit for clubs, its not something you listen to when you need some music to feed your soul

I beg to differ @ Nigerian music is fit only for clubs.

A host of Nigerian artiste do beautiful renditions across different genres even rock. The issue has a lot to do with the media that feeds the populace more of the music that you describe as emphasising beats over lyrics thus making them crave for more.

Again, when it comes to large scale events and concerts these "other" artiste are hardly headlined. What about endorsements? They don't get any!

Until such a time when we see Nigerian artistes with alternative music styles being celebrated, the type of music we have now (kpangolo, pon pon, kpo ti kpo, oya jo fun mi, ibadi e..., baba God... enemies...take banana or cucumber or whatever...etc) will hold sway. As long as the average club going Nigerian (and they are much in number) got a dope beat and a catchy hook to nod his head and contort her body to, it' all good.

Meanwhile, holla at your boy for all your social events. Truly Professional DJ and Compere in town now to handle ALL your entertainment and social needs professionally; our services transcends just music. I'm talking about perfect customer care and a service that will blow you and yours away. More info coming soon.

Re: Pon Pon Music : How Davido, Tekno, Runtown Are Spearheading A New Trend by MayhorE(m): 6:35pm On Aug 27, 2017
DgreatKALU:
money fall on me "pon pon"......

grin � fall on you
Re: Pon Pon Music : How Davido, Tekno, Runtown Are Spearheading A New Trend by EstatesinLagos: 7:39pm On Aug 27, 2017
If all the artists like let them jump on it, Tekno remains the pon pin king

Re: Pon Pon Music : How Davido, Tekno, Runtown Are Spearheading A New Trend by imustsaymymindo: 11:38pm On Aug 27, 2017
Mr Eazi is actually the true originator of the style. The style got full acceptance though with Runtown's mad over you. At a time, you would think it was Eazi that owns the song. IF by Davido changed the style a little bit, fall was dope too but Mayorkun's mama is the best of them all.
Re: Pon Pon Music : How Davido, Tekno, Runtown Are Spearheading A New Trend by Temysteve(m): 11:48pm On Aug 27, 2017
DONADAMS:
my name,my name,my name, Pon pon pon ..my name is davido! omoh alata!
hmmm, olodo oshi. How on earth will Davido say he's ''omo Alata''?? He said ''Omo Atlanta'' (means he's a native of Atlanta in america)
Re: Pon Pon Music : How Davido, Tekno, Runtown Are Spearheading A New Trend by Cutestud(m): 10:24am On Aug 28, 2017
martineverest:
They are all kpagolo music

Is a weak and lazy genre of music... It's more of a talk-sing music... No expression of talents
True, sire but even "talk-singing" is not as easy as they make it seem. Still trying to drop an "IF" cover and I'm shocked at how making sense on pon-pon music can be a tard difficult
Re: Pon Pon Music : How Davido, Tekno, Runtown Are Spearheading A New Trend by DONADAMS(m): 11:11am On Aug 28, 2017
Temysteve:
hmmm, olodo oshi. How on earth will Davido say he's ''omo Alata''?? He said ''Omo Atlanta'' (means he's a native of Atlanta in america)
calm down bro.. why result to derogatory words??FYI,,I'm not Yoruba..thanks for the correction tho
Re: Pon Pon Music : How Davido, Tekno, Runtown Are Spearheading A New Trend by Temysteve(m): 1:21pm On Aug 28, 2017
DONADAMS:
calm down bro.. why result to derogatory words??FYI,,I'm not Yoruba..thanks for the correction tho
Sorry then!
Re: Pon Pon Music : How Davido, Tekno, Runtown Are Spearheading A New Trend by IGBOmarryme: 2:24pm On Jul 15, 2018
Tekno and Runtown brought pon pon, not Davido certainly not Wizkid ok??
Re: Pon Pon Music : How Davido, Tekno, Runtown Are Spearheading A New Trend by wisdomkid: 12:31am On Jan 26, 2019
freebrowsingtime:
Great taste in Music, I also saw this article on EntertainmentgistMe.com

Lol, I download music from this site too..
Correct place

5 Most Bankable Nollywood Actresses / Prince Odi Okojie Shares Loved Up Photo With wife, Mercy Johnson. / Ayo Adesanya Celebrates Her 46th Birthday