Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,481 members, 7,816,135 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:17 AM

Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya - Food (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya (22943 Views)

See The Perfect Alternative To Fresh Tomatoes. (pictures) / Surprising Ways To Enjoy Nigerian Jollof Rice / Gambia Beat Nigeria , Ghana And Senegal In Jollof Rice Competition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by Nmaglit: 7:46am On Aug 27, 2017
please Op what is paprika? is it pepper?
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by PrimadonnaO(f): 7:48am On Aug 27, 2017
OreoPaschal:
God knows i love my food burnt!! cool cool cool cool cool.

Lol. This is one of the reasons people say I'm weird. I always say I love burnt food and they keep giving me the stares. Maybe they think I want charcoal burnt.

2 Likes

Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by dingbang(m): 7:51am On Aug 27, 2017
Nmaglit:

Always stay close to ur jollof rice, when u notice that the water is in the same level with the rice deep ur spoon to the bottom of the pot and raise ur rice up this will allow the water to go down then cover do this one or two minutes interval till the water dries up.
alright... Thanks Nma
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by czarina(f): 7:52am On Aug 27, 2017
dingbang:
But why is it that anytime I cook jollof rice, the water gets thick which makes it to burn under whereas the top still contains water...
Try using a turning stick for stirring instead of the regular spoons and ensure the heat matches the quantity... Too much can be bad.

1 Like

Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by dingbang(m): 7:52am On Aug 27, 2017
homeboy205:

Get a dipstick instead of stiring it all just use the dipstick to make a hole so your added water could sink down easily. The tip of your spoon could work as a dipstick
alright bro
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by dingbang(m): 7:53am On Aug 27, 2017
czarina:
Try using a turning stick for stirring instead of the regular spoons and ensure the heat matches the quantity... Too much can be bad.
wow... Another tip.. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by Nobody: 7:53am On Aug 27, 2017
shamack:
Jollof rice wey no burn for under no dey sweet,,,,,,,shout to my ppl, that will leave the main rice n fight for the burnt pot
Yes o, That is us. Leave the rice, sit with the burnt pot and start scrapping.
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by Aguiyi13(m): 7:53am On Aug 27, 2017
I don't like my food burnt, for whatever reason.
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by dominique(f): 7:54am On Aug 27, 2017
I sometimes pull of the party jollof rice without letting it burn.

1 Like

Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by AuroraB(f): 8:04am On Aug 27, 2017
I wouldn't have white rice, out. Jollof it must be
Miss my friend, she's a champ on this kiss

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by Schwartz: 8:11am On Aug 27, 2017
As soon as I got mid way into this article, my mind told me it was Sisi Yemmi's blog. I looked at the side of the picture and boom she was the one. I go to her videos anytime I need to bring more flavor and style to my cooking.

1 Like

Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by stinggy(m): 8:11am On Aug 27, 2017
shamack:
Jollof rice wey no burn for under no dey sweet,,,,,,,shout to my ppl, that will leave the main rice n fight for the burnt pot
Walahi I can't imagine eating all these igbalode jollof wey dem no dey allow mak e burn ooo cheesy cheesy

AuroraB:
I know you must be here grin

1 Like

Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by soflygerian(m): 8:16am On Aug 27, 2017
ajepako:

I swear you no well.... Got me cracking.... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
ATTENTION!!!! slay queen spotted who nearly burn her papa house cuz of jollof rice cheesy
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by AuroraB(f): 8:16am On Aug 27, 2017
stinggy:

Walahi I can't imagine eating all these igbalode jollof wey dem no dey allow mak e burn ooo cheesy cheesy

I know you must be here grin
Hahahahahaaaa!
Was expecting you here tho undecided
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by ActionsShure: 8:28am On Aug 27, 2017
Even witout meat water
My jolof na standard
Abegi
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by samzzycash(m): 8:29am On Aug 27, 2017
ajepako:

I swear you no well.... Got me cracking.... grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
smiley
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by ajepako(f): 8:32am On Aug 27, 2017
soflygerian:
ATTENTION!!!! slay queen spotted who nearly burn her papa house cuz of jollof rice cheesy

Slay queen? Slay mama is more apt...

And l don't burn down my kitchen when l cook...

Thanks for the compliment anyway.. grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by Tedassie(m): 8:37am On Aug 27, 2017
OreoPaschal:
God knows i love my food burnt!! cool cool cool cool cool.
be wary of cancer,bruh
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by bobnatlo(m): 8:41am On Aug 27, 2017
Abeg my people!!!
Is red oil rice prepared with dry and stock fish also jollof rice?? grin grin ;
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by raysplashinfo(m): 8:44am On Aug 27, 2017
Integrityfarms:
Reminiscing childhood days as I made sure, I used my firstborn status to intimidate my younger ones never to touch the burnt bottom pot of the jollof rice.

Shout out to all firstborns and our bossy nature...
That is really a funny moment den..
I almost make a hole in the pot while unleashing the burnt jollof rice into my hungry stomach..
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by Ekeseges(f): 8:45am On Aug 27, 2017
dingbang:
Some people will just burn the rice until the whole atmosphere in the house turn to smoke.. grin
You mean burnt offering
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by dingbang(m): 8:49am On Aug 27, 2017
Ekeseges:
You mean burnt offering
I dey tell you..
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by kadree(m): 8:54am On Aug 27, 2017
AuroraB:
When you get to your place of worship, beg God for forgiveness for being inconsiderate . You wan kee me? I almost swallowed my phone with that jollof pix up there. Make una dey fear God ooo.
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by OreoPaschal(m): 9:08am On Aug 27, 2017
PrimadonnaO:

Lol. This is one of the reasons people say I'm weird. I always say I love burnt food and they keep giving me the stares. Maybe they think I want charcoal burnt.
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy i can't eat noodles except its burnt. Whenever i go to the buka, i often order for the burnt part of their friend rice embarassed embarassed embarassed. My paddy always pick offence with that, i pray my future spouse understands. grin grin grin
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by OreoPaschal(m): 9:09am On Aug 27, 2017
Tedassie:

be wary of cancer,bruh
cry cry cry cry Something must kill a man.
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by limitless777(m): 9:23am On Aug 27, 2017
shamack:

hahahahahahahahahaha.
hahahahahahahahahaha
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by AuroraB(f): 9:26am On Aug 27, 2017
kadree:

When you get to your place of worship, beg God for forgiveness for being inconsiderate . You wan kee me? I almost swallowed my phone with that jollof pix up there. Make una dey fear God ooo.
Kay, no vex.
Na so me I see am cheesy grin
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by habakukjss3: 9:32am On Aug 27, 2017
HungerBAD:
Happy World Jollof Rice Day! Wait, you didn’t know it was a thing? World Jollof Rice Day took place on August 22, 2017. There appears to be three camps for World Jollof Rice Day; those that celebrate it on the August 21, those that choose August 22 (more popular date) and those like me who feel everyday should be World Jollof Rice Day!

I cannot recollect my first memory of Jollof Rice but I knew early on that there was a distinct difference between the Jollof at home and the Jollof at the party, and even while your mom rolls her eyes at you not to accept when being offered at a party, you cannot resist. You eat the Jollof and brace yourself to face the consequences at home.

I soon realised that the smoky-flavour was a result of the firewood, and the deliciousness was buried, right at the bottom of the pot. I love bottom pot rice, nod if you agree. While that party flavour may not be exactly replicated in your kitchen with your pristine cooker and non-stick pot, I can share tips – that have helped a lot of my audience who love my recipes – to take your Jollof from 0 to 100!

Features | Food and Drink
Let it burn! Five tips for the perfect Jollof rice
By Yemisi Odusanya, Contributor | 26 August 2017 | 4:00 am

Happy World Jollof Rice Day! Wait, you didn’t know it was a thing? World Jollof Rice Day took place on August 22, 2017. There appears to be three camps for World Jollof Rice Day; those that celebrate it on the August 21, those that choose August 22 (more popular date) and those like me who feel everyday should be World Jollof Rice Day!

I cannot recollect my first memory of Jollof Rice but I knew early on that there was a distinct difference between the Jollof at home and the Jollof at the party, and even while your mom rolls her eyes at you not to accept when being offered at a party, you cannot resist. You eat the Jollof and brace yourself to face the consequences at home.

I soon realised that the smoky-flavour was a result of the firewood, and the deliciousness was buried, right at the bottom of the pot. I love bottom pot rice, nod if you agree. While that party flavour may not be exactly replicated in your kitchen with your pristine cooker and non-stick pot, I can share tips – that have helped a lot of my audience who love my recipes – to take your Jollof from 0 to 100!

. Bay Leaf
Some like it; some don’t. I say it is compulsory. I do not trust Jollof that was not cooked without bay leaf. Bay leaf is very fragrant and it tantalises your nostrils. Too much of it will not make the Jollof rice nice, so find the balance. To really get the most of it, I fry it in the oil before I pour in the tomato paste so that it really comes alive.

. Onions
If you skimp on onion in your Jollof, then you skimp on flavour. Onions brings a sweetness that is almost like sugar, so if you are eating good jollof and not sure why it is so sweet, then know that it is onions. It goes in every process for me. It is found in the stock that will be introduced to the jollof rice while cooking. It is fried along with the bay leaf, and it is also blended in the tomato, pepper mix and depending on how I am feeling, I garnish my cooked Jollof with thin slices of onion right after turning off the cooker. It takes it to another level!

. Jollof Base
The Jollof Base is made up of onion, tomatoes and paprika as the basics, with more paprika than tomatoes. If you like ginger and garlic you can add these. Also, tomato puree is the secret behind my deliciously reddish-orange jollof. This mix is fried together till it becomes fragrant. The ratio of the Jollof base to the rice you use is also important. If you use less jollof base then you will not get the full richness that is supposed to make Jollof Rice, and if you use too much Jollof base, it goes sideways. A tip is always to make the bulk base, and cook with a portion, then add more if you find the need to.

. Steam not boil
I find that Jollof Rice needs steam to cook through. When allowing it to cook in the first phase, allow the sauce to cover the Jollof Rice. When that is dried out, stir the Jollof Rice together so that the sauce and rice gets combined properly, cover the pot with an aluminium foil, then the pot cover. This will allow it to steam till it is done. Jollof Rice needs steam not continuous adding of water.

. Let it Burn!
Oh yes! I don’t use my “good pot” for Jollof. I have a special pot for it. I find that using stainless steel cookware really helps to intensify the flavour of Jollof Rice, almost similar to “party Jollof Rice”. Let the Jollof Rice burn, and get to scrubbing later, it will be totally worth it.

Seun,Lalasticlacla,Mynd44 Oya help the Bachelors here.

http://guardian.ng/features/food-and-drinks/let-it-burn-five-tips-for-the-perfect-jollof-rice/
serve me burnt meal and I will cease from eating your food. I detest burnt foods. it turns me off.
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by tbanj07(m): 9:37am On Aug 27, 2017
No b lie...spot on!!!

Scatterscatter:
We hear you... But any jollof rice without firewood na just advanced concortion!!!

Firewood is the secret ingredient kiss

Jollof rice without firewood smoke, that one na jollof rice undecided
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by shilz(f): 9:52am On Aug 27, 2017
Stir very well before placing on fire,and water should be added without stirring if need be and if u must stir it should be when the rice is cooked.
dingbang:
But why is it that anytime I cook jollof rice, the water gets thick which makes it to burn under whereas the top still contains water...
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by Abiagirl777(f): 9:53am On Aug 27, 2017
dingbang:
ok so what do you advise?

stir the water with the ingredients first before pouring in your rice,just leave it let the boiling water turn by itself. pls use a wooden spoon or your garri turner not metal spoon.
Re: Let It Burn! Five Tips For The Perfect Jollof Rice- Yemisi Odusanya by dingbang(m): 10:20am On Aug 27, 2017
shilz:
Stir very well before placing on fire,and water should be added without stirring if need be and if u must stir it should be when the rice is cooked.
thanks shilz. I love your profile pix kiss

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What's The Cheapest Food You've Ever Cooked? / Affordable Professional Website For Your Business / Suggest Food And Other Stuff To Buy Before Subsidy Removal

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.