Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:17 AM

Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada (17344 Views)

Igbos At War / Benue May Cut Alignment With North Over Killings / We’re Not Part Of Ipob’s Sit-home Order To Mark Biafra Day – Anglican Clerics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by Eastfield1: 12:50pm On Aug 28, 2017
pazienza:

At no time had Enugu people denied the existence of Idomas and Igalas in Etteh.

The bone of contention is that Etteh must remain in Enugu state, and not moved to Kogi state, like some Igala elements in that town want to, since there are also indigenous Igbo people that are part of Etteh town.
I think Ohaneze or Ipob will have to Organize those Igbo people of Benue to Protest to have their own one Local Government or be retuned to SE

2 Likes

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by nku5: 1:15pm On Aug 28, 2017
This Agada man's interview is so intellectually shallow and his reasoning is so skewed. Really base political hustling.
Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by Ngozi123(f): 1:18pm On Aug 28, 2017
The thread title is misleading as the man states that he's only speaking about his community, not the whole of Benue state. He even hinted that there are Igbos indigenous to Benue state in the article so I don't know why some people are jubilating here undecided.

6 Likes

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by PRXPERT: 1:22pm On Aug 28, 2017
Benue State is a state in the mid-belt region of Nigeria with a population of about 4,253,641 in 2006 census. It is inhabited predominantly by the Tiv and Idoma peoples, who speak the Tiv language and Idoma, respectively. The Tiv's comprises the Etulo's while the Idoma's comprises the Ufia's (Utonkon), the Igede's, and the Agatu's. There are other ethnic groups, including the Igede, Etulo, Abakwa,[2] Jukun, Hausa, Igbo, Akweya and Nyifon. With its capital at Makurdi, Benue is a rich agricultural region; some of the crops grown there are potatoes, cassava, soya bean, guinea corn, flax, yams, sesame, rice, and groundnuts.
Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by Sagay212: 1:22pm On Aug 28, 2017
Eastfield1:

I think Ohaneze or Ipob will have to Organize those Igbo people of Benue to Protest to have their own one Local Government or be retuned to SE

I think there are dangerous insects running in your brain. How the hell do you tell ohasneeze or whatever you call it to tell benue people to protest to be taken back to SE. Does that sound normal to you? People are saying they are not igbos and you are , saying they should protest to become igbos against their wish.

2 Likes

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by PRXPERT: 1:23pm On Aug 28, 2017
The state is populated by several ethnic groups: Tiv, Idoma, Igede, Etulo, Abakpa, Jukun, Hausa, Igbo, Akweya and Nyifon. The Tiv are the dominant ethnic group, occupying 14 local government areas with the Etulo and Jukun , while the Idoma, Igede, Igbo, Akweya and Nyifon occupy the remaining nine local government areas.

1 Like

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by PRXPERT: 1:24pm On Aug 28, 2017
Benue State is named after the Benue River and was formed from the former Benue-Plateau State in 1976, along with Igala and some part of Kwara State. In 1991 some areas of Benue state (mostly Igala area), along with areas in Kwara State, were carved out to become part of the new Kogi State. Igbo people are found in the boundary areas of Ebonyi State and Enugu State in local government areas like the Obi, Oju etc.

1 Like

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by pazienza(m): 1:41pm On Aug 28, 2017
Sagay212:

I think there are dangerous insects running in your brain. How the hell do you tell ohasneeze or whatever you call it to tell benue people to protest to be taken back to SE. Does that sound normal to you? People are saying they are not igbos and you are , saying they should protest to become igbos against their wish.

I think you need to visit a psychiatrist for some mental evaluation.

No body is interested in Benue people or whatever that means, other than Fulani herdsmen already raping the area.
The man in the interview is from part of Benue no one considers Igbo.
The Igbos indigenous to Benue state are already making their grievances heard. There is a news paper article about that, and they even have a facebook page.
https://www.nairaland.com/2015869/agony-igbos-benue

I wonder why emotionally unstable people crawl out from their holes once they hear the word "Igbo ".

10 Likes

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by pazienza(m): 1:46pm On Aug 28, 2017
Malawian:

It is the work i did during NYSC, that was even before i knew of nairaland. I am surprised people dont know about it.

I see. If true, then they are yet to speak out or proclaim their Igbo identity. Are you sure they are not already in denial, chalking up everything Igbo about them to association with Igbo neighbors.

Because , even other Indigenous Igbos of Benue, don't recognize Ogadibo as an LGA with indigenous Igbo speaking communities in Benue state.

2 Likes

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by pazienza(m): 1:48pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ngozi123:
The thread title is misleading as the man states that he's only speaking about his community, not the whole of Benue state. He even hinted that there are Igbos indigenous to Benue state in the article so I don't know why some people are jubilation here undecided.

Do you think the one that created the thread cares?

Everyone wants traffic and nothing drives traffic in Nigeria than Igbo related matters.

2 Likes

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by Sagay212: 2:39pm On Aug 28, 2017
pazienza:

I think you need to visit a psychiatrist for some mental evaluation.

No body is interested in Benue people or whatever that means, other than Fulani herdsmen already raping the area.
The man in the interview is from part of Benue no one considers Igbo.
The Igbos indigenous to Benue state are already making their grievances heard. There is a news paper article about that, and they even have a facebook page.
https://www.nairaland.com/2015869/agony-igbos-benue

I wonder why emotionally unstable people crawl out from their holes once they hear the word "Igbo ".

You are not interested in benue people and you want them to protest to get a SE loca goverment or be moved to SE. Your brain is shaking. You need to use insecticide to get rid of the insects affecting your thinking. You can inject sniper through your head. If igbos move to benue to do business and are not happy with the way they are being treated, they have only two options, either to return back to their SE region or to accept their fate and live peacefully in benue. You guys are always acting annoyingly stupid and playing senseless emotions towards issues that require common sense. What rubbish do you mean by indigenous igbos in benue? The phuck is that? Any igbo man in benue who is not happy being in benue should go back to where he came from. I don't know why ya'll love to claim other people's land. are your 5 states not enough for you? keep crying for what you'll never get.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by BlackPikiN(m): 2:52pm On Aug 28, 2017
pazienza:

Tuface is not Igbo. He is Idoma.
Idoma people have a way of answering Igbo sounding names.
There is this Idoma Tuface look alike called Joel Amadi.
Google him, Amadi sounds Igbo, but it's an Idoma name too, with a totally different meaning from the Igbo equivalent.
It's just like some Igbos think Mercy Johnson has some Igbo maternal links, because of her middle name, Ozioma. When in truth, Ozioma is an Ebira name with an entirely different meaning from the Igbo equivalent and Mercy Johnson has no iota of Igbo blood in her.

You have several Igbo like names- Ozioma, Onyeche... where did you get them from?

I got Ozioma from my mother. Kogi people also bear names like the Igbos. My mother actually has a dual background as her own mother (my grandmother) is Igbo.

https://www.naijarules.com/index.php?threads/big-back-side-runs-in-my-family-mercy-johnson.32764/

1 Like

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by laudate: 3:00pm On Aug 28, 2017
Aufbauh:
There are no indigenous Igbos in Ogbadibo LG. Maybe those that came there for business.

Like he said we intermarried but mostly Idoma men (possibly 98%) marrying Igbo women. so it is possible to see families that have Igbo link and names.

Aufbauh??! Warriss dis? shocked I always thought you were Igbo! shocked

1 Like

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by laudate: 3:03pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ojiofor:
Ndigbo was there before they came according to his narative and they adopted Igbo culture,language,juju,masquerade in fact everything became Igbo except the people.I see.It's a free world btw.
You misread and misinterpreted his narrative. undecided His own indigenous people were there, before the Igbo came to meet them there to trade with them, and even intermarry. QED! Like he said, when the war started the Igbo people in his community moved back to the east, but his own people could not move anywhere, as they had no other place to go, since that was their own land. sad

1 Like

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by laudate: 3:17pm On Aug 28, 2017
PRXPERT:
The state is populated by several ethnic groups: Tiv, Idoma, Igede, Etulo, Abakpa, Jukun, Hausa, Igbo, Akweya and Nyifon. The Tiv are the dominant ethnic group, occupying 14 local government areas with the Etulo and Jukun , while the Idoma, Igede, Igbo, Akweya and Nyifon occupy the remaining nine local government areas.
PRXPERT:
Benue State is named after the Benue River and was formed from the former Benue-Plateau State in 1976, along with Igala and some part of Kwara State. In 1991 some areas of Benue state (mostly Igala area), along with areas in Kwara State, were carved out to become part of the new Kogi State. Igbo people are found in the boundary areas of Ebonyi State and Enugu State in local government areas like the Obi, Oju etc.

God bless you for educating the clueless ones, my brother! wink
Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by Malawian(m): 3:20pm On Aug 28, 2017
pazienza:

I see. If true, then they are yet to speak out or proclaim their Igbo identity. Are you sure they are not already in denial, chalking up everything Igbo about them to association with Igbo neighbors.

Because , even other Indigenous Igbos of Benue, don't recognize Ogadibo as an LGA with indigenous Igbo speaking communities in Benue state.
They are probably the "Ikwerre" of Benue Igbos grin grin Whats my own? i just know their identity, that all.
Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by Eastfield1: 3:40pm On Aug 28, 2017
Sagay212:

sorry,
I think you quote the wrong person
Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by iceland1: 3:51pm On Aug 28, 2017
We are sharing same culture and everything and by the time biafra comes, we from ogbadibo will be glad to be among, forget this poo called jerry Agada. Am idoma and biafran, am proud to be one, infact we are inviting nnamdi kanu to come and visit us and you will see the crowd welcoming.

4 Likes

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by iceland1: 3:54pm On Aug 28, 2017
proeast:
What do you expect, the oldman is under the employment of the Benue state government, several of the Igbo communities in the state have been seeking to be reunited with their people in the SE, however, its their cup of tea, they have the right to chose where they want to belong and only a referendum will settle that.
and he can't choose for us.
Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by Ojiofor: 4:03pm On Aug 28, 2017
laudate:

You misread and misinterpreted his narrative. undecided His own indigenous people were there, before the Igbo came to meet them there to trade with them, and even intermarry. QED! Like he said, when the war started the Igbo people in his community moved back to the east, but his own people could not move anywhere, as they had no other place to go, since that was their own land. sad

That part of the state has similar culture with the Igbo and even share words. Why this common practice if they do not originate from the same place?

Let me tell you how these similarities came about. When you went to settle in those boundary areas, at least you intermarry and even go to same market. We were doing things together. Then, there was this feeling among our people that because we had come to that place as a result of migration, we must prepare and fortify ourselves so that people would not overrun us as a result of war again. So, the Igbo person from the boundary would tell our people ‘bring this type of Juju and use it so that nobody can overrun you’. As such, at that time, our people adopted their type of Juju called Okpa.

Apart from Okpa, there were other types and even one called ‘’Onmabe’’, which is a type of masquerade. Then, according to them, they believed with the masquerade, you wouldn’t have any form of accident. It was the Igbo that owned the masquerade then. But because of the interaction between our people and Igbo, they also mounted the ‘’Onmabe’’ in our areas so that if you come to our place here, you would see the ‘Okpa’ and ‘Onmabe’ and if you cross to the East in Obolafor, you would see same thing. That would make you think we have the same culture. There was a day our community decided to collect all the ‘Okpas’ and all the ‘Onmabes’ and dumped them in the east across the border. Any one that remained, we set them ablaze and we did away with that culture.

I think you as a person lack comprehension,read the bolded part and tell me who migrated and who adivced them on how to survive.
Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by nengibo: 4:07pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ekinematics:

Don't mind the nincompoops
Mbire, I tya for dis people everybody must be Igbo, dey have suppressed the Igalas and Idomas in the east, calling dem settlers & discriminating them to deny their identity but want to be indigene in another mans state. *spits on Osus

2 Likes

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by Mbediogu(m): 4:49pm On Aug 28, 2017
'You and I may have same parents, it does not mean we are sibling' - Prof. Jerry Agada.
Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by pazienza(m): 5:18pm On Aug 28, 2017
BlackPikiN:

You have several Igbo like names- Ozioma, Onyeche... where did you get them from?

I got Ozioma from my mother. Kogi people also bear names like the Igbos. My mother actually has a dual background as her own mother (my grandmother) is Igbo.

https://www.naijarules.com/index.php?threads/big-back-side-runs-in-my-family-mercy-johnson.32764/

Ozioma has an entirely different meaning in Ebira.

http://ebiraview..com.ng/2010/04/i-am-ozioma-mercy-johnson.html?m=1

Thanks for the info though. Always knew the both parents were non Igbos, never knew the maternal grandmother is Igbo.
Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by pazienza(m): 5:20pm On Aug 28, 2017
Malawian:

They are probably the "Ikwerre" of Benue Igbos grin grin Whats my own? i just know their identity, that all.

Maybe. Who knows.

1 Like

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by pazienza(m): 5:42pm On Aug 28, 2017
Eastfield1:

Nigeria won't Create any new LGAs Or States again.

Biafra is our only hope now

1 Like

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by Belmot(m): 6:30pm On Aug 28, 2017
MEILYN:
This man didn't make any sense. I am not an Igbo man but I didn't see any sense in all the things he said.
Who ask you if you're ibo or not? It simply means you're bloody ibo.

2 Likes

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by adoyi81: 10:10pm On Aug 28, 2017
There are Igbo communities in Benue state, along local govts having common boundaries with Enugu and ebonyi States,however, that doesn't make the idoma tribe to be Igbo. These are two diff tribes with similar culture.
Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by Malawian(m): 10:39pm On Aug 28, 2017
millionboi:
Who cares
NFCS does. cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by laudate: 10:59pm On Aug 28, 2017
Ojiofor:
That part of the state has similar culture with the Igbo and even share words. Why this common practice if they do not originate from the same place?

Let me tell you how these similarities came about. When you went to settle in those boundary areas, at least you intermarry and even go to same market. We were doing things together. Then, there was this feeling among our people that because we had come to that place as a result of migration, we must prepare and fortify ourselves so that people would not overrun us as a result of war again. So, the Igbo person from the boundary would tell our people ‘bring this type of Juju and use it so that nobody can overrun you’. As such, at that time, our people adopted their type of Juju called Okpa.

Apart from Okpa, there were other types and even one called ‘’Onmabe’’, which is a type of masquerade. Then, according to them, they believed with the masquerade, you wouldn’t have any form of accident. It was the Igbo that owned the masquerade then. But because of the interaction between our people and Igbo, they also mounted the ‘’Onmabe’’ in our areas so that if you come to our place here, you would see the ‘Okpa’ and ‘Onmabe’ and if you cross to the East in Obolafor, you would see same thing. That would make you think we have the same culture. There was a day our community decided to collect all the ‘Okpas’ and all the ‘Onmabes’ and dumped them in the east across the border. Any one that remained, we set them ablaze and we did away with that culture.

I think you as a person lack comprehension,read the bolded part and tell me who migrated and who adivced them on how to survive.

Oga, I believe you went to school. undecided Anyone who can read, can see that you are just clutching at straws. The fact that they adopted the advice of the Igbo people living in their towns or villages, does not mean they had the same origin, with the Igbo. sad If they had the same origin with the Igbo, they would not have waited for the Igbo people to offer them their 'juju or masquerade, to keep the enemies at bay. It would have been ingrained in their traditional practices by their original ancestors, or it would have been an intrinsic part of their customs, from time immemorial, not an external tradition that was alien to their culture, until the Igbo suggested it to them. So this account clearly shows that the 'juju and masquerades, were not part of their culture or customs from inception, it was merely something that the people of that village/area in Benue, adopted after the Igbo had offered it to them. sad Acquiring something from another group, does not mean you originate from that same ethnic group, do you understand? Or is it too hard for you to comprehend?

No matter how much a people may intermarry with another group, they still know their origins and ethnic roots. Stop trying to rewrite their history for them, biko. And stop trying to attach them to your people, by force. undecided
Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by laudate: 11:17pm On Aug 28, 2017
Mbediogu:
'You and I may have same parents, it does not mean we are sibling' - Prof. Jerry Agada.
True! Your parents may have given birth to both of you (i.e. their children) with other partners in previous relationships, before they eventually met up and got married. That way, the kids would not share blood ties. Just saying... undecided
Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by Mbediogu(m): 4:37am On Aug 29, 2017
laudate:

True! Your parents may have given birth to both of you (i.e. their children) with other partners in previous relationships, before they eventually met up and got married. That way, the kids would not share blood ties. Just saying... undecided

Read it again SIR. Same parent(s) mean same Mother and Father.

1 Like

Re: Benue May Share Similar Culture, But We’re Not Igbos At All – Jerry Agada by laudate: 5:16am On Aug 29, 2017
Mbediogu:
Read it again SIR. Same parent(s) mean same Mother and Father.
I have read it, and my comment still stands. A person might share the same parents, with a step-sister or step brother conceived during a parent's previous relationship, but no blood ties. Ever heard of blended families? sad Agada did not use the word 'biological' when he was describing the parents, did he?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Troops Avert Deadly Attack On Worshippers At Katsina Mosque / LP: Abure Surrounded By Thugs, Forced Me To Sign Docs - Ex-acting Chair, Lebeke / Aliyu Backs Fayose, Asks Mu’azu, Others To Resign

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.