Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,392 members, 7,954,570 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 10:49 PM

5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC - Jobs/Vacancies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC (16028 Views)

I Just Touched Down Lagos After Nysc. Where Do I Go From Here? / How Have You Been Coping After NYSC With Or Without A Job? / Unemployment: How Have You Been Surviving After NYSC? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by jaszplus12(m): 10:14am On Aug 29, 2017
millionboi:
Oga u are wrong.
The point is weda u are in ur parents huz or underbridge make sure you are earning.
ok but don't you think that as a man that will hinder your chances of dating a lady? would you as a lady feel kinky visiting a guy who's chatting you up in HIS PARENTS HOME? even if he's earning?
I'd like a answer...
Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by dayus12(f): 10:35am On Aug 29, 2017
hoover420:

it is inevitable
Advisably have a steady source of income
Before leaving or you'll have yourself to blame.

Yeah....Having steady or lil source of income is very important, even if you are staying with them....Some parents are very understanding and supportive...

3 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by efilimu(m): 10:59am On Aug 29, 2017
edwife:
Those of you saying leave home, where to? Your parents know how the labour market is right now and it's only psychotic parents that will expect their kids to leave home after NYSC. No wonder most youths end up doing fraudulent activities, squatting with people who don't want them and being treated like nonentities. Where you are going to live, ain't you going to contribute anything? So why not do same at home?

It is the responsibility of parents to care for their children, provide security for them. Nothing is ever too much for your kids, until a child find his way in life, a parent is responsible. Too bad African parents breed kids to care for them when they grow, irrespective of their financial capabilities.

What you need to do is to start acting like an adult living at home. Go and find some manual jobs, volunteer in churches, foundations anywhere they need help. Ask if your parents need help with anything, repair jobs, errands etc...

The menial jobs you do here and there will allow you have pocket money so not to depend on your parents for little things. As long as you have a roof and food, you can save money and re-strategize.

Just don't be lazy staying at home, simple!
I love your comment. Very realistic and exactly what I was thinking. I wonder where these parents want the youths to go to after NYSC. After all, they are part of the reason why some youths are at home with this there "go to school and get a job mentality". They should be able to more than anyone else understand the situation of the labor market now and not unnecessarily pressurize their wards. The youths on the other hand should also make moves and don't just sit at home. Find something to do, anything: teaching, volunteer work and internships and gain your respect. In fact, just find anything that'll make you leave your parents house in the morning. On that note, I'll say part of these mentality comes from that African mind set where we take care of our kids so that they'll take care of us in the future. That mentality. Their savings, pension and other investments should be used to cater for them in their old age. As for me, I'll take care of my kids until I know they are strong enough to be independent.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by efilimu(m): 11:02am On Aug 29, 2017
jaszplus12:

ok but don't you think that as a man that will hinder your chances of dating a lady? would you as a lady feel kinky visiting a guy who's chatting you up in HIS PARENTS HOME? even if he's earning?
I'd like a answer...
So your own motivation for leaving your parents house na woman. Na wa oh!

3 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by efilimu(m): 11:02am On Aug 29, 2017
Ugosample:

You are a wise person
Don't mind all these people
I'm telling you, Her comment made a whole lota sense.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by idris4eva(m): 11:06am On Aug 29, 2017
Pop was 4month back and up till now ntn but the fear of waking up in a Monday morning and not having anywhere to go always saddened my heart

One mrn I checked myself, I love betting and am like why not start making money out of these instead of betting up and down

I search for information on how to become an agent of a big betting company and soon I will be one there agent and yes am staying in my mum house no big deal in as much as you are making move they will support you. thanks

Don't leave your parents house if you don't have any meaningful place to go, you are their responsibility till you started fending for yourself.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by efilimu(m): 11:07am On Aug 29, 2017
sircrabo:
Unemployment isn't new in Nigeria, three months, six months and even one year of being unemployed is not new. Your offence is waatching movie by that time of the day. I won't even take that. There are productive times of the day. If your mom had seen you reading , doing chores , or praying she won't react that way. If you must watch GOT, why not wait till they are out ? I only watch movies at night. As for those shouting leave the house ! Its not a sin staying with your parents. They'll understand you better than squatting with group of guys that might mislead you. All you need do is behave urself as an adult that you are and let them know you are trying hard to be independent. So many people left their homes cause they want to be independent only to return home after months. Maybe the landlord of the boysquarters where they were squatting evicted them. Be wise Bro. When you feel its time to leave, save up some money and rent ur own apartment you can afford so you don't go back to parents.
Sensible comment from you a nigga!

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by jaszplus12(m): 11:14am On Aug 29, 2017
efilimu:
So your own motivation for leaving your parents house na woman. Na wa oh!
see how you jus spoil my gist!
so, woman be my motivation? sorry!
obviously you missed the point, no need trying to reason it out! cheers man.
Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by efilimu(m): 11:16am On Aug 29, 2017
jaszplus12:

see how you jus spoil my gist!
so, woman be my motivation? sorry!
obviously you missed the point, no need trying to reason it out! cheers man.
No vex!
Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by NarnieSnyper(m): 11:21am On Aug 29, 2017
neheholmes:
that's a valid point,get out of that comfort zone! Immediately after school I never went back again.after service I volunteered for a token of #5000 monthly.after 3 months I was given 10k for a regular work from 8am-5pm.many times I felt depressed and frustrated,but I choose to be positive and encouraged myself.two weeks ago I signed a contract with an international NGO.its now all story and bygone.my pay now is over 1000 percent increase!! Have faith,patience,persistance,humility,hardwork,build relationship and above all trust God.don't give up! Your season will surely come.

Where did you find shelter then? because i don't think you can afford rent with such salary na. I hope you dont mind my asking because, right now now, i am about to graduate and i haven't been home in a long time because i have been thinking of places to "explore" outside my comfort zone as well.
Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by jaszplus12(m): 11:24am On Aug 29, 2017
efilimu:
No vex!
cool bro...I no vex
personally I jus love guys that are determined to be independent early...that's my motivation...

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by ninodaniel(m): 11:26am On Aug 29, 2017
go out there and play bet9ja or baba ijebu aka lotto!!! thank me later
Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by ninodaniel(m): 11:29am On Aug 29, 2017
Noblepreneur:
I am glad you haven't. I just want to believe this your English is typographical error.
a Savage u are
Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by Nobody: 11:32am On Aug 29, 2017
May God bless you for a realistic and truthful comment.

edwife:
Those of you saying leave home, where to? Your parents know how the labour market is right now and it's only psychotic parents that will expect their kids to leave home after NYSC. No wonder most youths end up doing fraudulent activities, squatting with people who don't want them and being treated like nonentities. Where you are going to live, ain't you going to contribute anything? So why not do same at home?

It is the responsibility of parents to care for their children, provide security for them. Nothing is ever too much for your kids, until a child find his way in life, a parent is responsible. Too bad African parents breed kids to care for them when they grow, irrespective of their financial capabilities.

What you need to do is to start acting like an adult living at home. Go and find some manual jobs, volunteer in churches, foundations anywhere they need help. Ask if your parents need help with anything, repair jobs, errands etc...

The menial jobs you do here and there will allow you have pocket money so not to depend on your parents for little things. As long as you have a roof and food, you can save money and re-strategize.

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by castro316: 11:58am On Aug 29, 2017
hoover420:

Go and start your life under the bridge abi... No plans, nothing nothing... All because you don't want to stay at home undecided angry

Guy. Even if you were to run away from home, will you stay under the bridge? Stop being incredible. Obviously you will stay somewhere where you will be at least ok and start from there. Eg squating in your friends place, a relative house, a friends name it. You will be amazed how your brain works.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by kikies(m): 11:58am On Aug 29, 2017
hoover420:

Go and start your life under the bridge abi... No plans, nothing nothing... All because you don't want to stay at home undecided angry

my guy u just read my mind, one should not return to his/her fathers house, biko where should the person go
what works for you myt not just work for others.........the OP has said the right thing, you can be home n still be very useful to them, best thing be proactive even in doing house chores, dont let your parents tell u what to do before u do them, identify a task n just do it.........ur being at home wont be in vain afterall.........when you get a job, let them miss you doing all the chores.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 29, 2017
edwife:

If it were possible, I would have given you a thousand likes. I don't believe any sane parent would drive his ward out of the house over job issues. Such things only happen to those youths who graduate in their late 20s or 30s. Two months before I finished my service year, they were already begging me to come back and register for MSc. Currently, I'm into freelancing (fiverr) and digital self-publishing (kindle and createspace). Youths should try and be useful to themselves. There are opportunities everywhere. And also, when your parents are begging you to go to school, go while you're still young. Have you ever seen a parent mounting pressure on his 21 or 22 year old graduate child to go find a job? Youths please make hay while the sun shines.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by larrypourl(m): 12:37pm On Aug 29, 2017
edwife:

God bless you. They'll leave home and later be introduced into illegal deals.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by johncallidon(m): 3:04pm On Aug 29, 2017
kikies:

my guy u just read my mind, one should not return to his/her fathers house, biko where should the person go
what works for you myt not just work for others.........the OP has said the right thing, you can be home n still be very useful to them, best thing be proactive even in doing house chores, dont let your parents tell u what to do before u do them, identify a task n just do it.........ur being at home wont be in vain afterall.........when you get a job, let them miss you doing all the chores.
I Love Yhur points.... I feel satisfied right now.
Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by johncallidon(m): 3:12pm On Aug 29, 2017
edwife:

thank Yhu sOO much...

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by IamProdigy: 3:37pm On Aug 29, 2017
Well this is a very crucial matter and very crucial for male folks....less for females

Now the fact is this...the transition ain't easy at all....but that does mean you should stay put forever....many factors come into play..

Age, maturity, type of parents, how responsible you are....etc

For me, I think there is now cause for running away from home immediately after service, especially when ure very uncertain and lack funds..

If they ain't troubling u, pls stay!
The bane of contention is why u stay, what are you doing....

Make sure ure involved in something giving you cash....this period is a time for saving and contributing a bit to the house, e.g buying fuel, buying some groceries....

With this time you can gain ample amount to launch out, it also buys you time to plan and unplan....don't just wallow in laziness

BE PROACTIVE....

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by IamProdigy: 3:40pm On Aug 29, 2017
MasterRahl:
If it were possible, I would have given you a thousand likes. I don't believe any sane parent would drive his ward out of the house over job issues. Such things only happen to those youths who graduate in their late 20s or 30s. Two months before I finished my service year, they were already begging me to come back and register for MSc. Currently, I'm into freelancing (fiverr) and digital self-publishing (kindle and createspace). Youths should try and be useful to themselves. There are opportunities everywhere. And also, when your parents are begging you to go to school, go while you're still young. Have you ever seen a parent mounting pressure on his 21 or 22 year old graduate child to go find a job? Youths please make hay while the sun shines.

Hello bro....I really do need your help on fiverr...u mind we interact

Am a freelancer to

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by amrichy(m): 4:04pm On Aug 29, 2017
an important factor u guys seem to not put into consideration as regads leavin or not leavin home after d yut service is d ISSUE OF AGE. While we shouldn't expect graduates in d age range of 20-23 to be in a hurry to leav d hous, it's quite understandable if som1 (male or female, graduate or no graduate, working or not) who is OLDER THAN 26 is uncomfortable living with his/her parents/guardian. so when u put age factor into the equation, it wil be easier to judge whether or not it's reasonabu 4 u to leave ur parents house to start livin elsewhere (regardles of ur academic or employment status)

2 Likes

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by bennytrips27(m): 4:59pm On Aug 29, 2017
edwife:

I love you.youre so realistic.
Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by Nobody: 6:06pm On Aug 29, 2017
IamProdigy:

Hello bro....I really do need your help on fiverr...u mind we interact

Am a freelancer to
PM me bro
Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by FunnyDude(m): 6:17pm On Aug 29, 2017
Just start from somewhere, but starting somewhere doesn’t mean u should not have great plans for yourself. Seek spiritual help about your life. Even in philosophy, there is what we called "Metaphysics". My advice to youths especially the male folks is this, make sure u try to be self-reliant and independent without your parents. Have a plan of exits from your parents house immediately after you complete your
service year so as to have the burning desire in you to succeed. You won't love competing with your siblings in pot, you will love having your ownprivacy. Trust me, you won't be in your comfort zone where you have access to free food, electricity, not paying any bills and be able to strive hard to someone that has bills to pay.

THINK, THINK & THINK to avoid embarrassment from your little siblings.

1 Like

Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by neheholmes(m): 10:36pm On Aug 29, 2017
NarnieSnyper:

Where did you find shelter then? because i don't think you can afford rent with such salary na. I hope you dont mind my asking because, right now now, i am about to graduate and i haven't been home in a long time because i have been thinking of places to "explore" outside my comfort zone as well.
I stayed with a friend,and we both go out to hustle,and guys if your been @ home isn't idle then its nt a big deal!
Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by IamProdigy: 4:10pm On Aug 30, 2017
MasterRahl:
PM me bro

I don't think I know how to do dat on NL....can u pm me??
Re: 5 Ways To Deal With Parental Pressure After NYSC by emendoi(m): 4:31pm On Sep 01, 2017
MasterRahl:

Bro need your assistance on fiverr...Can we chart on whats app..can i have your num

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vital Information Must Be In Your Offer Letter Before You Accept It. / Dangote Sugar To Employ 150,000 Workers. / In 2018, Make Sure Your Resume Excludes These Errors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.