Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,676 members, 7,816,777 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:52 PM

The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife (23003 Views)

Igbos Migrated From Ile-Ife - Ooni Of Ife / The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife / Ooni Ogunwusi: Igbos Are From Ile-Ife - Ohanaeze Kicks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Olu317(m): 6:23am On Nov 28, 2017
Opiletool:

LOL!
Yes ooo.Imagine such fallacious information that distort Adimunia's history. The man was associated with Ram killing for sacrifice. Then the man was associated with God of the sky (Eledumare). The method used to worship God is still being done forever to to pay worship God. . The man was associated with the burial of their ancestors/Descendants in an ENGRAVE CIRCLE ROUND his descendants at ILE IFE. The man was associated with IRUNMOLE worshipping. What are these people feeling like? They want glory by force by trying to create a mysterious IZODUWA,, who was chased away because he was a WEAKLING, now metamorphose into a warrior king. Absolute,grade A LIES ... someone like isn't just ordinary Yoruba because I know deep part of my history.....
Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Opiletool(m): 7:34am On Nov 28, 2017
Olu317:
Yes ooo.Imagine such fallacious information that distort Adimunia's history. The man was associated with Ram killing for sacrifice. Then the man was associated with God of the sky (Eledumare). The method used to worship God is still being done forever to to pay worship God. . The man was associated with the burial of their ancestors/Descendants in an ENGRAVE CIRCLE ROUND his descendants at ILE IFE. The man was associated with IRUNMOLE worshipping. What are these people feeling like? They want glory by force by trying to create a mysterious IZODUWA,, who was chased away because he was a WEAKLING, now metamorphose into a warrior king. Absolute,grade A LIES ... someone like isn't just ordinary Yoruba because I know deep part of my history.....

What baffles me is the fact that, the story of this Izoduwa never existed even orally until one egoistic king of their's started writing the fictional events.
HHow can someone just wake up and Base a conclusion on a vague assumption that the so called Ekaladerhan/Izoduwa must have been the one that ended up at ile-ife?
I don't blame them though, I rather blame the custodians of our history who did little to refute this ridiculous fiction which has become a big delusion for them.

Sadly we'll continually drag this issue back and forth because we're all poor at telling our stories as regard to history. Imagine, we all [igbo /hausa/yoruba] don't even know where we all come from. We rely on the whites to tell our history. So sd that their haven't been any effort worthy of commendation as regards to making an empirical research on this issue. Yet we have professors of history. There are questions of where and how did we arrive here before separating into different ethnics begging for answers. That is what I'm really hoping to read one day.

2 Likes

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by id2019(m): 9:47am On Nov 28, 2017
The rulers or kings were commonly known as Ogiso. Igodo, the first Ogiso, wielded much influence and gained popularity as a good ruler. He died after a long reign and was succeeded by Ere, his eldest son. In the 12th century, a great palace intrigue and battle for power erupted between the warrior crown prince Ekaladerhan son of the last Ogiso and his young paternal uncle. In anger over an oracle, Prince Ekaladerhan left the royal court with his warriors. When his old father the Ogiso died, the Ogiso dynasty was ended as the people and royal kingmakers preferred their king's son as natural next in line to rule.

The exiled Prince Ekaladerhan later became Izoduwa or Oduduwa the first Oni in uhe (ile ife). Oranmiyan, grand son of Oduduwa took up his abode in the palace built for him at Usama by the elders (now a coronation shrine). Soon after his arrival he married a beautiful lady, Erinmwinde, daughter of Osa-nego, was the ninth Enogie (Duke) of Ego, by whom he had a son. After some years residence here he called a meeting of the people and renounced his office, remarking that the country was a land of vexation, Ile-Ibinu (by which name the country was afterward known) and that only a child born, trained and educated in the arts and mysteries of the land could reign over the people. He caused his son born to him by Erinmwinde to be made King in his place, and returned to Yoruba land Ile-Ife. After some years in Ife, he left for Oyo, where he also left a son behind on leaving the place, and his son Ajaka ultimately became the first Alafin of Oyo of the present line, while Oranmiyan himself was reigning as Oni of Ife. Therefore, Oranmiyan of Ife, the father of Eweka I, the Oba of Benin, was also the father of Ajaka, the first Alafin of Oyo. Oni of Ife and Alafe of Oyo.

By the 15th century, Edo as a system of protected settlements expanded into a thriving city-state. In the 15th century, the twelfth Oba in line, Oba Ewuare the Great (1440–1473) would expand the city-state to an empire.

It was not until the 15th century during the reign of Oba Ewuare the Great that the kingdom's administrative centre, the city Ubinu, began to be known as Benin City by the Portuguese, and would later be adopted by the locals as well. Before then, due to the pronounced ethnic diversity at the kingdom's headquarters during the 15th century from the successes of Oba Ewuare, the earlier name ('Ubinu') by a tribe of the Edos was colloquially spoken as "Bini" by the mix of Itsekhiri, Esan, Ika, Ijaw Edo, Urhobo living together in the royal administrative centre of the kingdom. The Portuguese would write this down as Benin City. Though, farther Edo clans, such as the Itsekiris and the Urhobos still referred to the city as Ubini up till the late 19th century, as evidence implies.

Aside from Benin City, the system of rule of the Oba in his kingdom, even through the golden age of the kingdom, was still loosely based after the Ogiso dynasty, which was military and royal protection in exchange of use of resources and implementation of taxes paid to the royal administrative centre. Language and culture was not enforced but remained heterogeneous and localized according to each group within the kingdom, though a local "Enogie" (duke) was often appointed by the Oba for specified ethnic areas.

Oral tradition

Bronze plaque of Benin Warriors with ceremonial swords. 16th–18th centuries, Nigeria.
The first name of the Benin Empire, since its creation some time in the first millennium CE, was Igodomigodo, as called by its own inhabitants. Their ruler was called Ogiso.[3]

Nowadays, nearly 36 known Ogiso are accounted for as rulers of this first form of the state. According to the Edo oral tradition, during the reign of the last Ogiso, his son and heir apparent, Ekaladerhan, was banished from Igodomigodo as a result of one of the Queens having deliberately changed an oracle message to the Ogiso. Prince Ekaladerhan was a powerful warrior and well loved. On leaving Benin he travelled west to the land of the Yoruba where he reportedly became a king. Most Yoruba cultures and festival ethnics are now practiced by Edo such as Ishango, Ogun, Festac of Idia Mother of Oba Esigie of Benin. Also most foods of the Yoruba are now consumed by the Edo, such as Iyan, Eman, Usi, Ighiawo and Ogi

On the death of the last Ogiso, a group of Benin Chiefs led by Chief Oliha came to Ife, pleading with Oduduwa (The Ooni) to come reign as King in Igodomigodo (later known as Benin City in the 15th century during Oba Ewuare) to ascend the throne. Oduduwa's reply was that a ruler cannot leave his domain but he had seven sons and would ask one of them to go back to become the next king there.

An Edo figure from the reign of the oba Esigie (c. 1504-1550) Brooklyn Museum.
Eweka I was the first 'Oba' or king of the new dynasty after the end of the era of Ogiso. He changed the ancient name of Igodomigodo to Edo.

Centuries later, in 1440, Oba Ewuare, also known as Ewuare the Great, came to power and turned the city-state into an empire. It was only at this time that the administrative centre of the kingdom began to be referred to as Ubinu after the Itsekhiri word and corrupted to Bini by the Itsekhiri, Edo, Urhobo living together in the royal administrative centre of the kingdom. The Portuguese who arrived on expedition led by Joao Afonso de Aveiro in 1485 would refer to it as Benin and the centre would become known as Benin City and its empire Benin Empire.

The Ancient Benin Empire, as with the Oyo Empire which eventually gained political ascendancy over even Ile-Ife, gained political strength and ascendancy over much of what is now Mid-Western and Western Nigeria, with the Oyo Empire bordering it on the west, the Niger river on the east, and the northerly lands succumbing to Fulani Muslim invasion in the North. Interestingly, much of what is now known as Western Iboland and even Yorubaland was conquered by the Benin Kingdom in the late 19th century – Agbor (Ika), Akure, Owo and even the present day Lagos Island, which was named "Eko" meaning "War Camp" by the Bini.

Nowadays, scientists discovered out that the Edo people did not have a writing system, but their art work, had let the scientists discover their true history. Including the armor, magnificent drawing skills.

Golden Age

Benin city in the 17th century.
The Oba had become the mount of power within the region. Oba Ewuare, the first Golden Age Oba, is credited with turning Benin City into City States from a military fortress built by Ogiso, protected by moats and walls. It was from this bastion that he launched his military campaigns and began the expansion of the kingdom from the Edo-speaking heartlands.

Oba Ewuare was a direct descendant of Eweka I great grandson of Oduduwa, Oni of Ife.
Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Nobody: 12:23pm On Nov 28, 2017
Clearly you guys don't know the difference between "story" and "history".
This might be due to the poor education you get in nigeria.
You see, not every story is history.
The main difference being that History is backed by historical records, proof !!!!
All the yoruba "things" have been stories and not history ! That is why no real historian takes you people seriously.
That is why your stories are not being taught in europian universities.
That is why the honnest historians of "yoruba" origin quickly turn their backs on your stories.

Opiletool:

What baffles me is the fact that, the story of this Izoduwa never existed even orally until one egoistic king of their's started writing the fictional events.
HHow can someone just wake up and Base a conclusion on a vague assumption that the so called Ekaladerhan/Izoduwa must have been the one that ended up at ile-ife?
I don't blame them though, I rather blame the custodians of our history who did little to refute this ridiculous fiction which has become a big delusion for them.

Sadly we'll continually drag this issue back and forth because we're all poor at telling our stories as regard to history. Imagine, we all [igbo /hausa/yoruba] don't even know where we all come from. We rely on the whites to tell our history. So sd that their haven't been any effort worthy of commendation as regards to making an empirical research on this issue. Yet we have professors of history. There are questions of where and how did we arrive here before separating into different ethnics begging for answers. That is what I'm really hoping to read one day.

1 Like

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by PrinceOgun: 1:43pm On Nov 28, 2017
[[s]quote author=Opiletool post=62791841]

Seems you're stupid right? Thought I told you to get off my mention? [/quote][/s]

Fvvck Off Nairaland then, or go and get your on forum for ppl like u
Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Olu317(m): 6:03pm On Nov 28, 2017
Opiletool:

My dear brother, a lot need be done .The reality is that they find Yoruba story very hard to believe because of the certain tradition peculiar to them. Don't blame the white because, they were looking for a lost people, whom the white have read about in the Bible. However, I strongly believe that most of these professors are not looking at the right place for Yoruba history,which is best known to them. Egypt has record of people that had lived there over thousands of years and Yoruba at one time lived in that country but under a different name. Have you for once, ask why and what does Ora mean in Yoruba?There are many names in Yoruba land today that has similarity with ancient names of Egypt, yet these historians always try to subdue the truth or try to knock it off. Until lately that some scholars have begun to agree that ILE IFE had moved to different locations for more than 7 times. A lot need be done to perfect our history from where we migrated from. In due season, we will get there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by PrinceOgun: 6:09pm On Nov 28, 2017
Olu317:
My dear brother, a lot need be done .The reality is that they find Yoruba story very hard to believe because of the certain tradition peculiar to them. Don't blame the white because, they were looking for a lost people, whom the white have read about in the Bible. However, I strongly believe that most of these professors are not looking at the right place for Yoruba history,which is best known to them. Egypt has record of people that had lived there over thousands of years and Yoruba at one time lived in that country but under a different name. Have you for once, ask why and what does Ora mean in Yoruba?There are many names in Yoruba land today that has similarity with ancient names of Egypt, yet these historians always try to subdue the truth or try to knock it off. Until lately that some scholars have begun to agree that ILE IFE had moved to different locations for more than 7 times. A lot need be done to perfect our history from where we migrated from. In due season, we will get there.

grin grin grin grin grin Story Story......sSTORY

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Opiletool(m): 7:23pm On Nov 28, 2017
Olu317:

Hmm! I agree with you absolutely.

1 Like

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Olu317(m): 12:33pm On Dec 01, 2017
RedboneSmith:

By the 12th century, the 21st Ooni was already reigning in Ile-Ife, if the radiocarbon-dating for the Luwo pavements match the oral tradition.

The 'Oduduwa Era' must have begun by the 9th or 10th century.
21st OONI Luwo didn't reign in 12th century because considering the Oonis that that had lived, using Ooni Lajamisan, Lajado-ogun and Lafogido respectively that lived before and around 12th century. Precisely around beginning of 12th century,Lafogido was the Ooni.These Oonis position were 8th,9th,10th respectively. Categorically, Oranmiyan lived during 11th century.
Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Olu317(m): 12:40pm On Dec 01, 2017
PrinceOgun:

grin grin grin grin grin Story Story......sSTORY
Is this not inferiority complex on your path? You can't even use your EDO /IDU/AKA/IKA names as your username? You people were and are perpetually looking unto Yoruba culture for fruitfulness.

3 Likes

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by AxxeMan: 12:45pm On Dec 01, 2017
Olu317:
Is this not inferiority complex on your path? You can't even use your EDO /IDU/AKA/IKA names as your username? You people were and are perpetually looking unto Yoruba culture for fruitfulness.

You dey craze angry

Ogun was the Edo name given to oba Ewaure the First at birth, who is now worshiped as a diety by Edo people and of course our Yoruba children had to copy thier father!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Olu317(m): 5:07pm On Dec 01, 2017
Oguola isn't the same as Ogun. And if indeed it is a Bini name, what does it mean to bear such name in EDO/OGISO that became a COLONY of ILE IFE? You mean the Oba Oguola that sent for help from Ooni in ILE IFE to send someone to help BINI develop in sculpture works?. And Ooni obliged as a father to a son relationship. A man was sent and his name was corrupted to Igue Igha from ILE IFE. This man is Defied in BINI till forever by brass Smiths. See how yoruba colonised BINI? Yorubas people rocks from time immemorial! Lick your wounds.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by rhektor(m): 1:42am On Dec 10, 2017
This is one of the reasons I really dislike yoruba people. Why do you keep making all these laughable claims ?
Can you provide any proof of the Palace of Omo n'Oba n'Edo ever speaking yoruba ?
The Oba was visited by countless europeans in the middle ages and none of them said "he was speaking yoruba", actually your yoruba didn't even exist as a people nor as a land. The reason why people hate you guys is that not only you are inventing your "history", but you want to rewrite other people's to suit your previous creations. Our history is well documented in the british museum and in several european libraries. You people keep trying to steal our history by claiming everything which is ours.
The british stole our Bronzes from our Oba Ovonramwen's palace, and then the yoruba went on to claim that they taught the Edo how to make that Bronze. Even the title of our King "Oba" you people copied. You also had to go on and claim we were from ife. You had to go on and claim that our Kings used to be buried in ife...Why are you guys obsessed with us, let us be !!!!!
The worse is that you idiots don't even know our name, we are not "bini" we are Edo ! You are trying to rewrite our history while you don't even know our name.
How would the British who did not understand the languages tell what language was been spoken? I'm not saying he was right to have asserted that the yoruba language was spoken in the Benin palace but to refute it with British not stating that is joke in itself. I still find it difficult to believe that the Edo will Speak Yoruba in the palace but this should be refuted in way that will not make mockery of common sense

1 Like

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by macof(m): 8:00pm On Dec 10, 2017
rhektor:

How would the British who did not understand the languages tell what language was been spoken? I'm not saying he was right to have asserted that the yoruba language was spoken in the Benin palace but to refute it with British not stating that is joke in itself. I still find it difficult to believe that the Edo will Speak Yoruba in the palace but this should be refuted in way that will not make mockery of common sense

I 100% agree with you
Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Olu317(m): 1:14pm On Dec 11, 2017
Information bring forth enlightenment and if such information is contested based on ego, then there is any basis. However, information I have given on this platform is supposed to be verified if some people feel bittered about the truth. The earlier the better for some people to get acquitted with the truth rather than the assumption without fact to counter my submission based on research . I am not one of those that engage in falsified info and I will reaffirm it again that Yoruba language was spoken in BINI court in the past!
Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by AxxeMan: 1:23pm On Dec 11, 2017
[s]
Olu317:
Information bring forth enlightenment and if such information is contested based on ego, then there is any basis. However, information I have given on this platform is supposed to be verified if some people feel bittered about the truth. The earlier the better for some people to get acquitted with the truth rather than the assumption without fact to counter my submission based on research . I am not one of those that engage in falsified info and I will reaffirm it again that Yoruba language was spoken in BINI court in the past!
[/s]

Mor.on!!

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by googi: 2:33pm On Dec 11, 2017
Can not believe this new denial that Yoruba was the lingual franca in Benin palace similar to Itsekiri. Read the Oba of Benin book that started this novel theory of Oduduwa.

He translated Benin to Yoruba as Ile-Ibinu. He translated Eweka to Owo mi ka.

Soon you guys will deny you ever bear Yoruba names if you belong to the royal family.

All the novel theory started because Ogiso has never accepted Oba and Oba has to lease the land each time at coronation from Ogiamen.

Now, do you have to speak Italian and German to tell the difference, if you are exposed to both?

There are Kora that speak your language better than you. Portuguese cannot speak your language but you took pride in your Oba speaking foreign language.

You guys are just using pedestrian logic since no serious historian will even touch your rejected Oba in Benin looking for relevance with igbale.

rhektor:

4 Likes

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Olu317(m): 7:00pm On Dec 11, 2017
googi:
Can not believe this new denial that Yoruba was the lingual franca in Benin palace similar to Itsekiri. Read the Oba of Benin book that started this novel theory of Oduduwa.

He translated Benin to Yoruba as Ile-Ibinu. He translated Eweka to Owo mi ka.

Soon you guys will deny you ever bear Yoruba names if you belong to the royal family.

All the novel theory started because Ogiso has never accepted Oba and Oba has to lease the land each time at coronation from Ogiamen.

Now, do you have to speak Italian and German to tell the difference, if you are exposed to both?

There are Kora that speak your language better than you. Portuguese cannot speak your language but you took pride in your Oba speaking foreign language.

You guys are just using pedestrian logic since no serious historian will even touch your rejected Oba in Benin looking for relevance with igbale.

Let them continue in the denial of the truth. And we will see where it will leads them all. They will soon turn around and tell us that Yoruba language developed from EDO. Yet Yoruba don't bear their names but reverse is the case. Cancerous pride is in the blood of many of them. They killed the last ogiamien and declared him missing for more than ten years , Just to stop the ceremony to showcase that Bini was ancestrally of Yoruba lineage and that Oba BINI and the oranmiyan entourage are tenant on that land

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Christistruth00: 4:12pm On Jan 13, 2018
Olu317:
Let them continue in the denial of the truth. And we will see where it will leads them all. They will soon turn around and tell us that Yoruba language developed from EDO. Yet Yoruba don't bear their names but reverse is the case. Cancerous pride is in the blood of many of them. They killed the last ogiamien and declared him missing for more than ten years , Just to stop the ceremony to showcase that Bini was ancestrally of Yoruba lineage and that Oba BINI and the oranmiyan entourage are tenant on that land

According to ancient history Oduduwa did not travel from the east alone he came with the ancestors of the Kanuri"s of Borno state ,and with the ancestors of the Gobir Hausa who were reputed to be his brothers and also the ancestors of the Bariba tribe. The Kanuri have an Oral history which confirms this relationship with Oduduwa the father of the Yoruba.
Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by macof(m): 12:10am On Jan 14, 2018
Christistruth00:

According to ancient history Oduduwa did not travel from the east alone he came with the ancestors of the Kanuri"s of Borno state ,and with the ancestors of the Gobir Hausa who were reputed to be his brothers and also the ancestors of the Bariba tribe. The Kanuri have an Oral history which confirms this relationship with Oduduwa the father of the Yoruba.

there is no such history.
Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Olu317(m): 7:13am On Jan 14, 2018
Christistruth00:

Yeah ,I read something close to that but I don't agree on the part that Odua was a brother to those you mentioned. Perhaps, his greatness was heard and many theories begun by different scholars. The reason I said this was because, Yoruba had a system that's different and tradition or beliefs without Islamic influence that were alien to these other groups. Upbringing of children—to freedom to aspire to be be the greatest was well enshrined in Yoruba beliefs, Yoruba had more Twins etc. Again, Take for instance, Ba —Abba—UBa mean father, this word is alien to all groups except Yoruba enclave only. The method of connecting and praying to God by oneself, which is embedded in Éri(Ori) ,which mean head is different from others .Secondly, Odua,his ancestors knew a God called El—edumare and the method of worshiping El—edumare was done in an open place, although away from prying eyes, while in this place, a circle is made with Éfun(Chalk-potash) and every other things are put in place to pray to God. Thirdly, the Yoruba were developed scientifically before arrival at this part of the world because, the Beads made by Yorubas were more advanced than the Caucasians—Europeans as far back as over 1,000 years ago etc and no West African had similarity with the production of this beads. Again, Yoruba fabric known as Aso Okè—Ofi etc were different from all sub Sahara fabrics yet there were other fabric before Yoruba emergence but this fabric emerged out of nowhere through Yoruba and were different .If truly, outside intermarriages,The Yoruba or Odua and his group were related to the Hausas, Kanuri, Fulani, Igala, Nupe etc, the development would have been at par or closely related either via religious beliefs or otherwise but am yet to actually pin such down . This doesn't mean that humanity as a whole didn't descended via same link but the fact is that at a point in time , evolution through human development made all differ. This is the reason, there are different development in different places but to achieve same goal as a force to be reckon with. However, if you have evidence to proof the connection, I shall be delighted reading it.
Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Christistruth00: 5:50pm On Jan 14, 2018
macof:

there is no such history.

It is in Samuel Johnsons book "History of the Yorubas " published in 1921 and the Kanuri's told me this History when I lived in Maiduguri, that their own ancestors and Oduduwa the father of the Yorubas were brothers and that they had travelled from the east together.
The ancestors of the Kanuri settled around lake Chad while Oduduwa and his group continued their journey till they got to Ile ife in todays Osun state. According to the Bariba tribe the starting point of their journey was Yemen in Arabia after the Muslims drove out the Pagans who refused to convert.
Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Christistruth00: 7:13pm On Jan 14, 2018
Olu317:
Yeah ,I read something close to that but I don't agree on the part that Odua was a brother to those you mentioned. Perhaps, his greatness was heard and many theories begun by different scholars. The reason I said this was because, Yoruba had a system that's different and tradition or beliefs without Islamic influence that were alien to these other groups. Upbringing of children—to freedom to aspire to be be the greatest was well enshrined in Yoruba beliefs, Yoruba had more Twins etc. Again, Take for instance, Ba —Abba—UBa mean father, this word is alien to all groups except Yoruba enclave only. The method of connecting and praying to God by oneself, which is embedded in Éri(Ori) ,which mean head is different from others .Secondly, Odua,his ancestors knew a God called El—edumare and the method of worshiping El—edumare was done in an open place, although away from prying eyes, while in this place, a circle is made with Éfun(Chalk-potash) and every other things are put in place to pray to God. Thirdly, the Yoruba were developed scientifically before arrival at this part of the world because, the Beads made by Yorubas were more advanced than the Caucasians—Europeans as far back as over 1,000 years ago etc and no West African had similarity with the production of this beads. Again, Yoruba fabric known as Aso Okè—Ofi etc were different from all sub Sahara fabrics yet there were other fabric before Yoruba emergence but this fabric emerged out of nowhere through Yoruba and were different .If truly, outside intermarriages,The Yoruba or Odua and his group were related to the Hausas, Kanuri, Fulani, Igala, Nupe etc, the development would have been at par or closely related either via religious beliefs or otherwise but am yet to actually pin such down . This doesn't mean that humanity as a whole didn't descended via same link but the fact is that at a point in time , evolution through human development made all differ. This is the reason, there are different development in different places but to achieve same goal as a force to be reckon with. However, if you have evidence to proof the connection, I shall be delighted reading it.

This was hundreds of years before Islam reached present day Nigeria,they were all pagans back then.

1 Like

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by macof(m): 7:48pm On Jan 14, 2018
Christistruth00:

It is in Samuel Johnsons book "History of the Yorubas " published in 1921 and the Kanuri's told me this History when I lived in Maiduguri, that their own ancestors and Oduduwa the father of the Yorubas were brothers and that they had travelled from the east together.
The ancestors of the Kanuri settled around lake Chad while Oduduwa and his group continued their journey till they got to Ile ife in todays Osun state. According to the Bariba tribe the starting point of their journey was Yemen in Arabia after the Muslims drove out the Pagans who refused to convert.
And that has been debunked, a debunked claim loses it's right to be called History#

no historian regards that as history in 2018
Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Christistruth00: 8:26pm On Jan 14, 2018
macof:
And that has been debunked, a debunked claim loses it's right to be called History#

no historian regards that as history in 2018

That history is still fact , revisionist propaganda can not debunk history especially when it is corroborated by many different sources.

1 Like

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by macof(m): 8:42pm On Jan 14, 2018
Christistruth00:

That history is still fact , revisionist propaganda can not debunk history especially when it is corroborated by many different sources.
what evidence exists to prove that claim accurate?
Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Christistruth00: 8:58pm On Jan 14, 2018
macof:

what evidence exists to prove that claim accurate?

Loads and Loads you heard the Itsekiri,Ijaw,Kanuri ,Bariba and British versions but are still not happy, how many different tribes corroborated your own version?
I have not even mentioned the version that Sultan Bello of Sokoto told Clapperton in 1824, that the Yoruba are a remnant of the Children of Canaan who were driven out of Arabia.

2 Likes

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by macof(m): 9:32pm On Jan 14, 2018
Christistruth00:

Loads and Loads you heard the Itsekiri,Ijaw,Kanuri ,Bariba and British versions but are still not happy, how many different tribes corroborated your own version?
I have not even mentioned the version that Sultan Bello of Sokoto told Clapperton that the Yoruba are a remnant of the Children of Canaan who were driven out of Arabia.
I ask for evidence you give me this post?

I have never come across Itsekiri, Ijaw,Kanuri ,Bariba and British versions of Yoruba origin or Odudwa's origin

and i wonder why ijaw, kanuri and Bariba would have a tradition about Yoruba origin when they haven't finished with theirs

Sorry i do not have a version, i don't formulate history like Sultan sokoto or the people you hold in high esteem. Yoruba traditions about origins might not be clear as spring water but it sure is clear enough to conclude a very much west african origin of the yorubas. And it appears you assume Yoruba started with Oduduwa. I don't even know where to begin with you, as you are still too naive and ignorant to see the very common errors of these claims, maybe as you read more books you will learn to tell the difference between falsification and valid history
I recommend, books from Prof. Eluyemi and prof. Akintoye

The children of canaan were never in arabia to begin with! Canaan was clearly separate from Arabia.
Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Nobody: 9:48pm On Jan 14, 2018
Speculations borne out of ignorance on Ife history reeks everywhere on the pages of this thread. This is not a big deal, seasoned Historians have, since Frobenius brought Ife into limelight, struggled to dig into the history of Ife early state.

————-

Yoruba people, specifically the people of Ife are an ancient pre-literate society who did not keep records [important or otherwise] in writing but explored other methods bothering on the memory hinged upon spatial, politics, economic and social.

Oduduwa is the widely acclaimed father of Yoruba monarchy and his existence and position in the Yoruba world has been expressed through several theoretical angles which include the descent from the sky theory and migration theory.

Both theories need to be assessed in bits in order to conclude upon their veracity or need to be scrapped:

The sky theory is religious in nature. Ife the seat of Oduduwa is the sacred city of the Yoruba and a religious center where every compound claim descent from a deity contained in the pantheon of 201 gods [201 on earth, 200 in heaven equally 401 in total sum], these deities in Ife are revered and held in awe so much that the historical records surrounded them are enmeshed in spiritual myth in order to protect an unfavourble historical event, keep sacred spaces in secret, preserve ritual activities and retain the prestige associated with the deity to mention a few. Every deity in Ife enjoys [or suffers from] this phenomenon of mythical tales but they have come to gather so much traction in that the actual history is slowly being forgotten. Oduduwa is not exempt from this situation and this is where the sky descent comes from.

Migration theory of Oduduwa coming from the ‘East’ is very curious. Not to take away from the Yoruba as a whole but at what point did Yoruba people as a whole define the cardinal points of ‘North, South, East and West’ to have come up with Oduduwa coming from the East theory? Research shows that the Arabia/Mecca theory began with Sultan Bello who, in his conversation with Clapperton referred to the Oyo people of Katunga which they [the Pulloh/Hausa] referred to as Yarba and regarded as their co-migrant from Mecca.

Fast forward to the 18th century when the returnee slaves, explorers and missionaries began to flock Yoruba land, they figured the peoples were the same but with no collective nomenclature, they decided to borrow the Oyo name of Yoruba as well as Nago and Aku to refer to the nation as one unit.

Overtime the entire group became referred to as Yoruba and this is where the Samuel Johnson the Historian whose work is a seminal one recounted the Mecca theory but applied Yoruba anachronistically as used in his work. This gave birth to the rise in the popularity of the Mecca theory which Sultan Bello, the Pulloh king, narrated about Yoruba [the Oyo] and later became a national story due to the later encompassing cognomen Yoruba/Yoruba effected my migrants. His application of ‘Yoruba’ in his work also created the position of Alaafin & Ooni’s in Yoruba monarchy debacle; he referred to everyone as Yoruba and the Alaafin at the time wrote a letter to the colonialists referring to himself as the ‘King of Yoruba’ [an idea which the colonialists worked with when they set up government proper until they began to effect corrections during Ooni Aderemi’s time] to Had Samuel Johnson defined or provided a contextual analysis of the Yoruba nomenclature, the monarchy hierachy problem that rages on today would not have reared its head.

Of course, the recent decade witnessed the postulation of the Bini theory of Ekahledaherb/Izoduwa solely based on ignorance of the the Mecca migration, Yoruba/Yoruba etymology as well as ignorance of thr etymology and meaning of the word Oduduwa. The proponents latched on to their [Bini] position being to the East of Ife like many other towns and further explored the impossibility of sky descent as well as the flaw in the Mecca angle, a theory to which many Yoruba have been grappling to give a response to.

To find the background and history of Oduduwa, one has to refer to the methods employed by the pre-literate Yoruba society in recording history as mentioned in the first paragraph. This includes festivals, a periodic event that is not of fun-fair to the people of Ife but a period of the re-enactment of actual historical event. Within these festivals abound the processions identifying sacred spatial spots; in these festivals abound chants/songs narrating events; within these festivals abound re-enactment of physical activities of importance that happened in the past.

Thus, for information on Oduduwa, the coronation of the Ooni is vital, the compounds that were/are known to have been loyal to him or played important role for him in his days such as Idio clan; and finally, the compounds of the group that antagonized his rise and enthronement. All of these groups/compounds have festivals revolving around Oduduea and they require to be studied for a narrative to be developed from each and strung together in a chronological order.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Ogiso Of Bini & Ijaw Came From Ile-ife by Christistruth00: 10:04pm On Jan 14, 2018
macof:

I ask for evidence you give me this post?

I have never come across Itsekiri, Ijaw,Kanuri ,Bariba and British versions of Yoruba origin or Odudwa's origin

and i wonder why ijaw, kanuri and Bariba would have a tradition about Yoruba origin when they haven't finished with theirs

Sorry i do not have a version, i don't formulate history like Sultan sokoto or the people you hold in high esteem. Yoruba traditions about origins might not be clear as spring water but it sure is clear enough to conclude a very much west african origin of the yorubas. And it appears you assume Yoruba started with Oduduwa. I don't even know where to begin with you, as you are still too naive and ignorant to see the very common errors of these claims, maybe as you read more books you will learn to tell the difference between falsification and valid history
I recommend, books from Prof. Eluyemi and prof. Akintoye

The children of canaan were never in arabia to begin with! Canaan was clearly separate from Arabia.

You are not interested in the truth only in arguing. I recommend Hugh Clapperton and Jacob Egharevba (A short history of Benin) books. By the way Jacob Eghareba was a Benin man whom the then Oba of Benin awarded a Cheiftaincy title for his work. Prof Eluyemi in 1986 Confirmed the Ife version of the Oduduwa origin ,so what is your problem? Can't you accept it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi With John Mahama In Ghana, Gets Lovely Art Gift On His Ghana Trip / DHA 2020: Ooni Of Ife Receives Imperial Royal Father Of The Year Awards In Abuja / Igbo People Being 'light', Is It Exaggerated?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.