Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,236 members, 7,836,131 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:18 PM

Help! I Rendered Assistance To A Stranger. - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Help! I Rendered Assistance To A Stranger. (712 Views)

Adaeze Oshi: Nigerian Man Sold Me Into Slavery In Libya, A Stranger Rescued Me / Woman Jailed For Performing Sex Act On A Married Stranger While He Was Asleep / The Help I Rendered To Her Nearly Ruined My Life. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help! I Rendered Assistance To A Stranger. by dwilliams: 10:08pm On Aug 28, 2017
Evening nairalanders.
I will make this brief, I was in need of some light cash yesterday afternoon (Sunday), so I drove to a nearby bank to make use of their ATM,the bank was scanty as it was inside a university, due to the recent ASUU strike coupled with the fact that it was a weekend and it was raining heavily the bank was almost deserted.
After making my withdrawals, a middle aged man approached me and begged for assistance, I was of the opinion that he wanted to beg me for cash,only for him to tell me he wants to make a transfer of 10,000 naira to my account, that he was coming from Lagos and heading to port Harcourt only for him to alight at Benin to make some purchases but he left his ATM card behind in Lagos.
I refused immediately and as I was about walking away I considered the fact that it was raining and it was almost evening for someone heading to Port Harcourt, so I turned back and asked him for his identity card which he produced.
I was not scared of the transaction initially because he brought out his phone, and claimed he banks with First bank that he will use the mobile transfer code. I felt the transaction was safe for two reasons.
1) he won't be able to make a transfer if the phone number on his device was not the one he registered the account with.
2) he wil need a pin perhaps his ATM pin or the last four digits of his ATM card or an OTP code to facilitate the transaction.
so I obliged gave him my account number he transferred 10,000 naira, I withdrew it for him and gave him a lift to where he would get a bus heading to the park.
This morning I logged into Nairaland and I saw a similar scenario that played out like mine with a UBA customer and the person who transferred the money to him did it from a fraudulent account and his account has been frozen here is the thread.

https://www.nairaland.com/4008950/uba-bank-account-been-frozen/1
I have gone through this thread and I just discovered the blunder I made by helping a total stranger, I have called the customer service of my bank and I initiated them with what transpired,they told me to go their nearest branch and make a statement, but I will be going with my lawyer tomorrow, please I will need more advice from both bankers in the house and legal practioners.
It might be a case of me being paranoid but my liberty and reputation might just be hanging on the line here.
sorry for any typos.

1 Like

Re: Help! I Rendered Assistance To A Stranger. by falcon01: 10:54pm On Aug 28, 2017
I almost did that yesterday but thank god oo. the man was an elderly man and he told me to help him withdraw from my account cos there is a lotta people on the que and he is in a hurry but I said no the account isn't mine I don't know the account number.

1 Like

Re: Help! I Rendered Assistance To A Stranger. by oteneaaron(m): 12:33pm On Aug 29, 2017
falcon01:
I almost did that yesterday but thank god oo. the man was an elderly man and he told me to help him withdraw from my account cos there is a lotta people on the que and he is in a hurry but I said no the account isn't mine I don't know the account number.

Funny Enough, I had the same experience today, mine was with a middle-aged woman. I told her it wasn't account and I was in a hurry.

Naija I hail thee!!

(1) (Reply)

“i’m Not A Ritual, Only Killed Her After I Had Sex With Her” – UNIPORT Studnet / 14-year-old Schoolboy Shoots Dead Two Of His Classmates For Mocking Him / Nigerian Police Declare "Malaysian Boys" Gang Members Wanted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.