Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,500 members, 7,830,507 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 12:21 AM

Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer (25619 Views)

Lightning Strike Creates New Material Seen On Earth ‘For The First Time’ (Pics) / UAE Creates Rain Using Drone Technology That Gives Cloud Electric Shock / Oshio Agabi Creates Device That Can Detect Explosives And Cancer Cells (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by profmsboi(m): 8:16am On Aug 29, 2017
Okoroawusa:
More grease to ur elbow,bro.Keep the Nigerian flag flying.

You're wrong, it's not grease, it's power...

It's more power to your elbow...

We're cool right?
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by moninuola65: 8:18am On Aug 29, 2017
Jaqenhghar:

Who is ' we'?
Nigerians
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by haryorbarmie83(m): 8:23am On Aug 29, 2017
undecided undecided
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by RexEmmyGee: 8:36am On Aug 29, 2017
youngreva:
what is the meaning of afonja crywhat is the meaning of afonja
Check google.com
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by Okoroawusa: 8:39am On Aug 29, 2017
profmsboi:

You're wrong, it's not grease, it's power...
It's more power to your elbow...
We're cool right?
cool.
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by soldierdollar(m): 8:40am On Aug 29, 2017
ipobarecriminals:
coolhope that miserable nuisance. terrorist pig from Aba disturbing the peace of the country with his lunatic display he kal agitation dey read dis?.God bless Nig.
Are you trying to buy him with this invention?

Even a pro-afonja news still de give you heart attack? What will be your fate when you hear pro-Biafran news?
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by supereagle(m): 8:50am On Aug 29, 2017
Nigeria. Great People , Great Nation, but leadership problem.
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by chizagi: 8:51am On Aug 29, 2017
great
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by okerekeikpo: 9:20am On Aug 29, 2017
ipobarecriminals:
coolhope that miserable nuisance. terrorist pig from Aba disturbing the peace of the country with his lunatic display he kal agitation dey read dis?.God bless Nig.
get a life
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by saajus: 9:25am On Aug 29, 2017
If we don't regulate AI, machines may win someday
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by jidoex66(m): 9:29am On Aug 29, 2017
Franco93:
Intelligent invention.
Whenever I hear the word cancer, I remember what a nutritionist told me. He said that cancer is not a disease, but a business. Amedical business doctors use to make money.
He said that cancer is just the absence of Vitamin B17, that's why it has no specific region of occurrence. It can occure in the eye, mouth, ear, throat, head, breast and so many other regions.
He said that the best way to cure cancer is to eat stone fruits that have Vitamine B17 like Apple, Cherry and a so on.
You are right. Absolutely!
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 9:31am On Aug 29, 2017
Congratulations Boss! fellow scientist
He had to go to Sweden and Switzerland before His dream was achieved!

If you tell Naija henchmen i want to create an uncrashable aircraft, they will never

bring out a little from the humongous resource under their control to support,

if is to patronize call-girls, runs gals, slay queens and what have you,
you will find them pulling their muscles, in adrenaline rush with swag!

there are a plethora of problems in naija that are waiting for cutting-edge, innovative technology (artificial intelligent apps) to be developed to solve them. These technologies can
be developed and deplored locally by youths if they can be supported by those controlling the resources.

moral lesson=Never give up on your Dreams (legitimate).

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by Dnockeror333(m): 9:37am On Aug 29, 2017
Can Mr Agabi help me manufacture my Hearing Deviced paper work Invention-Modular?
This thing when invented will give the deaf a temporal ability to hear. (Temporal, because we won't live here on Earth permanently. Temporally, because as soon as the device is removed from vision, eyes, then alert failed) an ability to hear.
Not like an hearing aid, which does not work with many people.
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by nairanaira12: 9:57am On Aug 29, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
Nice invention...but then ..people are going to lose their jobs to machines....this is a 2-edge sword

Even machines require human control, monitoring and assessment
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by maklelemakukula(m): 10:26am On Aug 29, 2017
babyfaceafrica:
Nice invention...but then ..people are going to lose their jobs to machines....this is a 2-edge sword
the people should evolve
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by ivolt: 10:39am On Aug 29, 2017
Franco93:
Intelligent invention.
Whenever I hear the word cancer, I remember what a nutritionist told me. He said that cancer is not a disease, but a business. Amedical business doctors use to make money.
He said that cancer is just the absence of Vitamin B17, that's why it has no specific region of occurrence. It can occure in the eye, mouth, ear, throat, head, breast and so many other regions.
He said that the best way to cure cancer is to eat stone fruits that have Vitamine B17 like Apple, Cherry and so on.

Your "nutritionist" is the worst quack to ever live
if he said that.
I hope he doesn't give you a life-sabotaging advise in the future.

1 Like

Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by GoldNiagara(m): 11:34am On Aug 29, 2017
NCAN in disarray! Is it afonja or ipods
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by bigfish3k: 11:46am On Aug 29, 2017
josielewa:
proud of my afonja brother.....enu ose(2x), ariwo ko ni music ooooi

he is probably cross river, northern part of cross river, oshi in their language means thank you and we all know about the agabi's
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by bigfish3k: 11:52am On Aug 29, 2017
bigfish3k:

he is probably cross river, northern part of cross river, oshi in their language means thank you and we all know about the agabi's

sorry, have just been corrected now , he is from edo
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by Nexworld: 2:10pm On Aug 29, 2017
mzirawo:
NIGERIAN SCIENTIST CREATES A COMPUTER THAT CAN SMELL EXPLOSIVES AND CANCER CELLS
source : http://www.eyesoflagos.com/2017/08/nigerian-scientist-creates-computer.html

Silicon Valley-based Oshi Agabi has unveiled a computer based not on silicon but on mice neurons at the TEDGlobal conference in Tanzania. The system has been trained to recognise the smell of explosives and could be used to replace traditional airport security, he said. .

Eventually the modem-sized device - dubbed Koniku Kore - could provide the brain for future robots. Agabi is attempting to reverse-engineer biology, which already accomplishes this function with a fraction of the power it would take a silicon-based processor.

EYES OF LAGOS learnt that, He launched his start-up Koniku over a year ago, has raised $1m (£800,000) in funding and claims it is already making profits of $10m in deals with the security industry. Koniku Kore is an amalgam of living neurons and silicon, with olfactory capabilities — basically sensors that can detect and recognise smells. .

"You can give the neurons instructions about what to do - in our case we tell it to provide a receptor that can detect explosives." He envisages a future where such devices can be discreetly used at various points in airports, eliminating the need for queues to get through airport security. .

As well as being used for bomb detection, the device could be used to detect illness by sensing markers of a disease in the air molecules that a patient gives off. .

A self-described "scrawny, nerdy kid," Agabi grew up in the suburb of Surulere in Lagos, Nigeria and obtained a Bachelors degree in Physics from University of Lagos. .

He went on to do further studies in physics and neuroscience in Sweden and Switzerland. "One of the things growing up in Lagos imparts in you is grit," he says. "Lagos is a place that demands grit. Growing up there gave me an unconventional way of always looking at problems."

‘A world first’

Agabi said the Koniku Kore device is “a world first” and able to do just that, essentially through breathing in and smelling the air.

He said “major brands”, including those in the travel industry, had signed up and the start-up’s current revenues of $8 million (7 million euros) were expected to leap to $30 million by 2018.

One of the main challenges was finding a way to keep the neurons alive, a secret Agabi did not wish to expand on, saying only they could be kept alive for two years in a lab environment and two months in the device.

As AI improves in leaps and bounds, scientists are trying to make and succeeding in making machines more like our brains, able to learn and understand their surroundings: a prospect that is terrifying for many.

Musk, who has repeatedly warned about the perils of AI making humans obsolete, is working on a new project to implant “neural lace” brain-interface technology to prevent humans becoming like a “house cat” to potential machine masters.

However, Agabi, who grew up in Lagos where he helped his mother sell food on the streets, believes the future of AI lies in making machines more alive.

He believes his company could build a cognitive humanoid system based on synthetic living neurons in the next five to seven years. “It’s not science fiction,” he told AFP.

“We want to build a brain of biological neurons - an autonomous system that has intelligence. We do not want to build a human brain.”

Agabi did a bachelors degree in theoretical physics in Lagos before taking an interest in neuroscience and bio-engineering for his PhD in London.

African innovation at TED

He spoke at the opening session of the four-day TEDGlobal conference, putting African ideas, innovation and creativity in the spotlight with a variety of speakers who each get an 18-minute window to get across their message of choice.

TED - originally known as Technology, Entertainment and Design - has built a global following for its online videos of inspiring talks devoted to “ideas worth spreading”.

The annual international version is taking place in Africa for the first time in a decade with a new crop of “TED Fellows” from the continent to take to the stage.

“This gathering couldn’t come a moment too soon,” said TEDGlobal co-curator Emeka Okafor. “Africa has experienced spectacular economic, demographic and creative growth, but both opportunity and danger are rising at an exponential rate. Our conference will gather the idea catalysts, problem-solvers and change-makers already hard at work here charting Africa’s own path to modernity.”

This won't be a bad take off point for Nigeria to make a contribution to the consistently advancing technology in the world, rather than been known for a perpetual lack of interest in technology where other nations are spending their resources. The Question I wish to ask is "who know this boy for abuja?" Do scientific discoveries of this sort excite our senate or make other arm of government to feel like making this discovery a global phenomenon without first asking what gain they make individually?

The more reason this country should splinter because any tribe would want to advance this kind of discovery if they were a nation and boost their economy with its associated tax.

Thank God the young man didn't say he is looking for people to sponsor him.
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by Jpaul16(m): 2:32pm On Aug 29, 2017
Thumbs up to the guy, he has even got funding already and is making profits!!! That said, i also have an idea for a mind amplifier, it amplifies the thought waves of a person and can physically manifest whatever the person thinks of; can be used to create anything from the thoughts of a person!!!
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by AAinEqGuinea: 3:13pm On Aug 29, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py5c4BkdUtk

I really respect this guy.

Thanks NL, one of those threads i wish i could stay pinned to the FP
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by Nobody: 3:49pm On Aug 29, 2017
Is he related to Mazi Kanu Agabi, a former minister in Obasanjo's government?
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by Lakesandspring: 4:30pm On Aug 29, 2017
Koniku Konire o. God will continue to grant you more intellectual knowledge to transform Africa. Pride of Africa you are.
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by ajogwuthomas: 5:01pm On Aug 29, 2017
government will not like to hear this
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by joinnow: 7:24pm On Aug 29, 2017
Franco93:
Intelligent invention.
Whenever I hear the word cancer, I remember what a nutritionist told me. He said that cancer is not a disease, but a business. A medical business doctors use to make money.
He said that cancer is just the absence of Vitamin B17, that's why it has no specific region of occurrence. It can occur in the eye, mouth, ear, throat, head, breast and so many other regions.
He said that the best way to cure cancer is to eat stone fruits that have Vitamine B17 like Apple, Cherry and so on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXAIj6FViFg

Are you telling me that all those that died cos of cancer don't have access to apple or cherry. Beside is there no vit B17 inject or tablet to be giving to cancer patients.[img][/img]
Its much more that vit B17 bruuhgrin
Beside how many cancer patient has he cure using apple
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by Franco93: 7:42pm On Aug 29, 2017
joinnow:

Are you telling me that all those that died cos of cancer don't have access to apple or cherry. Beside is there no vit B17 inject or tablet to be giving to cancer patients.[img][/img]
Its much more that vit B17 bruuhgrin
Beside how many cancer patient has he cure using apple
Don't be a doubting Thomas. Those patients might lack the information. Know it today, drugs is not the ultimate healer to sickness. Once you're used to drugs, sicknesses becomes your friend. I can't remember that last time I took medicine.

We're sick today because of what we eat and what we don't eat.
Never underestimate the power of fruits, vegetables and clean water.

1 Like

Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by joinnow: 7:54pm On Aug 29, 2017
Franco93:

Don't be a doubting Thomas. Those patients might lack the information. Know it today, drugs is not the ultimate healer to sickness. Once you're used to drugs, sicknesses becomes your friend. I can't remember that last time I took medicine.

We're sick today because of what we eat and what we don't eat.
Never underestimate the power of fruits, vegetables and clean water.
Bruuh the guy for don be billionaire by now if what he is saying is true.
Guy go rest and leave cancer matter
Re: Oshiorenoya Agabi Creates Koniku Kore, Computer That Smells Explosives, Cancer by davidif: 10:17pm On Aug 30, 2017
babyfaceafrica:

I am sure horse men lost their jobs at the invention of the automobile also.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Cat And Dog Relationship(pictures) / Man Attempts To Control Electric Current / Doomsday UN report says global warming is ALREADY causing extreme weather(Pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.