Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,226 members, 7,825,883 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:42 AM

What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? (25121 Views)

Polaris Bank Contract Staff Threaten Strike Over Salary Disparity / Pay Slip Of UBA Contract Staff Who Earns ₦‎45,000 Monthly / My Dilemma As Contract Staff In A Bank (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Dhayor001(m): 1:43pm On Aug 29, 2017
Means ur employment is on contractual basis. It is supposed to run for a particular period and after that is renewed or terminated.

Unlike "permanent staff" of the same institution, you enjoy less remunerations and benefits. Also, the bonuses, up-fronts and other allowances you enjoy are limited or non-existent.

Lastly, even if you are more experienced, better read and have stayed longer with the organisation, you will always report to the "permanent staff" even if he joined the organization yesterday.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by obajoey(m): 1:44pm On Aug 29, 2017
it means monkey dey work, baboon dey chop
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by calyto: 1:44pm On Aug 29, 2017
Ok let me give you my own piece of advice(That's if it means anything to you).

1.Any experience you acquire right now counts;Whether they call it contract, outsourced or Intern.
Do the job with an open mind.
2.If it's a computer-based job, learn excel...learn more....Learn more and more again.
3. Learn powerpoint and presentation.

4. Pay less attention to the pay and focus more on the experience. It will eventually pay

I dey come back soon;make i go shit

EniolaEwa:
Good morning....I just got out of school so I applied for a job pending when I will go for service, I applied somewhere and they told me I can only be given a contract position, I need to know what a contract staff mean and the advantage and the disadvantage....I'm waiting thanks

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Bizgold: 1:45pm On Aug 29, 2017
You are employed for a specify pay, for a specific role and not considered as permanent staff.

Advantages u are pay as u work
disadvantage; No incentives , No retiree entitlement, You cant refer and u can be sack without sin or without queries
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Danialuone: 1:45pm On Aug 29, 2017
Contract staff means the following:
1. You are not a staff of that organisation
2. You are not directly employed by that organisation you are working for.
3. In case of any thing ,you don,t have any entitlement than the salary you are recieving
4.No career path yet for you unless you are converted into a full staff
5.You are not entitled to gratuity or end of year service etc
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Virtualaccounts: 1:48pm On Aug 29, 2017
VirtualAccountant.ng will help manage your bookkeeping, accounting and tax compliances for your small business. Chat/Call 08029753761, 08086108687 & visit www.virtualaccountant.ng

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by talk2saintify(m): 1:49pm On Aug 29, 2017
m
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by mfm04622: 1:50pm On Aug 29, 2017
It means the person is a slave and there is no future in the job. However, since you are just looking for a temporary job, contract work is the best fit for you.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by henrylowe(m): 1:51pm On Aug 29, 2017
Contract staff is when you're a partially recognized worker of an organization
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Praktikals(m): 1:51pm On Aug 29, 2017
EniolaEwa:
Good morning....I just got out of school so I applied for a job pending when I will go for service, I applied somewhere and they told me I can only be given a contract position, I need to know what a contract staff mean and the advantage and the disadvantage....I'm waiting thanks
e mean say na pencil dem take write ur name
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by onulakak(m): 1:51pm On Aug 29, 2017
EniolaEwa:

being a contract staff isn't a bad decision. it actually a step forward and a preparation ground for the best yet to come grin

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by beordune(m): 1:53pm On Aug 29, 2017
1. Your employment is not on a permanent basis.
2. Your benefit is limited, in most cases to the salaries you get monthly, Leave allowance like yeye #40k and a very paltry 13th month.
3. You might be working same hours as the other (permanent) staff, but lack same rights.
4. Unless promoted as a contract staff, under same agreement, you are not entitled to any promotion. Forget conversion to permanent staff, it doesn't come easy.
5. You are paid peanut compared to those with same qualification who are hired as permanent staff.
6. In the Nigerian context, especially if you work in a bank... You are going to be seen as a slave; most permanent staff will look down on you.
7. Your job can be terminated any time "even while you are at home sleeping", with/ without benefit but a month salary.

My advise: Yes, this job will help you meet your present financial needs, but if you get too comfortable, you might be tied down as a contract staff for years to come.

1 Like

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Kentcto1: 1:53pm On Aug 29, 2017
[quote author=talk2saintify post=59934622]imagine

When yhu are on a Contract Job yhu work for a Period of years Say: 5years

After 5 Years yhur job Will Be terminated

Just thank God you got something to do. Pending when you will go on your service.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by talk2saintify(m): 1:54pm On Aug 29, 2017
[quote author=Kentcto1 post=59935004][/quote]
yea
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by belindar: 1:59pm On Aug 29, 2017
Nigeria companies that put their staff on contract are wicked and evil Bicos most of the contract companies are owned by the directors or family members of the said companies.
Bank contract staff are the worst. Imagine a Bank placing her employees on contract with a meager salary of 50k monthly. The bank will now tell the staff to source for #40 million naira from customers. I know people that have been in contract for 5 years in a bank. The contract doesn't have expiry date. Wicked people.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Jagabanmonerry(m): 2:01pm On Aug 29, 2017
phpfx:

lmaoooo

see person wey need help
someone can not jejely ask simple question again, if u knw it den explain if otherwise shot d gutter up.. Anohiaa

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by SmartyPants(m): 2:08pm On Aug 29, 2017
EniolaEwa:

Simply means you will not be employed on a permanent basis, and you will probably be offered something like a 6 month renewable contract.

Usually, contract workers are not very well remunerated, and can be fired relatively easily. They are also not entitled to any of the regular benefits of full-time workers.i.e, if there is free lunch, 13th month, bonuses and stuff, you likely won't be a beneficiary.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by BlueRayDick: 2:10pm On Aug 29, 2017
IT MEANS: Wen it is time for profit sharing and some people are thinking whether to add little cash to theirs and buy a car or use theirs to buy something expensive they've been eyeing for a while, you get none of it. Except your organization is extra nice and make little provision for contract staff
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by kkboy(m): 2:11pm On Aug 29, 2017
Contract staff is slavery. Flee from it.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by deeone10: 2:11pm On Aug 29, 2017
enough of all these explanation
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by LockDown69(m): 2:23pm On Aug 29, 2017
EniolaEwa:
Really! grin You can get on nairaland and post this and yet you ask this question, smh. Are you sure you're a graduate?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by ceekak: 2:28pm On Aug 29, 2017
Khutie:
I think yhu will be an employee who works under contract for a specific time. More like yhu re hired. A contract staff like yhu, does not become a regular addition to the staff and is not considered a permanent employee. There will be agreed payment from the both parties tho.(Yhu and the employee).

do you have a problem with *you*
I mean ..it's also three letters right?
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by PETUK(m): 2:30pm On Aug 29, 2017
Dubby6:
Is Google down?
angry angry angry
no, but you are
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by jhoshy55: 2:31pm On Aug 29, 2017
Instead of going for a contract job, you can learn a trade.

avictor05:
A contract staff is on an agreement with a company and doesn't receive the benefit other workers enjoy. but y do u need a job when u can sit and think something for urself.

see my signature.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by wildchild02: 2:38pm On Aug 29, 2017
Depends on the organisation

Check my signature to order your football jerseys and get FREE CUSTOMIZATION, YES you heard me right FREE CUSTOMIZATION
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Tunagee(m): 2:49pm On Aug 29, 2017
EniolaEwa:

A contract staff means that a third party( an outsourcing firm) is in charge of your welfare(salaries and other few benefits, if available. You are not directly employed by the company; therefore u do not have access to benefits and other additional gains the company might provide for the permanent staffs that are employed directly. Your employment is for a fixed period, meaning they can tell u to go after that fixed period of time and they do not owe you anything.

The outsourcing form is paid a certain amount by the organisation to pay you as salary, but they will in turn pay you according to their capacity.

Being a contract staff does not actually guarantee u a permanent position, as the main company is not under any obligation to make u one.

In short its slavery, because your job expectation is the same as the permanent, but benefits such as bonus, training, profit sharing, loans, participation in decision making, career growth, severance benefits and annual salary increment are only enjoyed by the permanent staffs only while your output s is expected to be the same, the aforementioned benefits(inputs)are not the same.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by opribo(m): 3:00pm On Aug 29, 2017
In a nutshell, it means you are being used to do the hardest jobs while someone else is feeding fat on your sweat.

Ever had of monkey dey work baboon dey chop before? That's where it's coined from.
When they are done with you, they dump you like a piece of trash. No health insurance, no benefits. They fool you into believing after some months you become full employee only just to sap you dry. Meanwhile the same firm will be recruiting full time staff to fill other positions.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by luvlymabel: 3:20pm On Aug 29, 2017
so you don't know the meaning of a contract staff and you applied for a job? too funny
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by Kutzy01: 3:21pm On Aug 29, 2017
[quote author=Help4rmme2u post=59934523]As a Contract staff you are not fully employed in that organisation which you find yourself.

You work only when your services are required.

You will receive a lesser pay, compared to those whom are fully employed.

I hope this helps undecided

Mean while check my signature,,,[/quote
And na beg we dey beg to get d contract staff work for banks o when na all dis foriegners frm Niger, Togo n zimbabwe suppose dey get employment base on contract. God will purnish those political Egyptians wey no wnt make we reach our canaan land
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by cyprex: 3:30pm On Aug 29, 2017
CJERRYEMILEX:
Relevant comments above has answered your question

Furthermore by being a contract staff it means you are working at the will of your employers, you have no right other than what is stipulated in the terms of the contract of your employment and usually under this type of employment the employers will prepare the terms of the employment solely which favours them and when you sign, it is binding and you can be relieved of the employment at any time, because you are not a permanent staff. There is nothing bad and it has no effect which is beyond the employment.

TO KNOW MORE ON EMPLOYMENT READ FUTHER

Now there are 3 types of employment
* EMPLOYMENT WITH STATUTORY FLAVOURsademployment backed by the Law in which an employee can not be dismissed or tamper at the will of the employer) Eg Civil service, public Service.

*EMPLOYMENT UNDER CONTRACT: (Master Servant relationship) in which the employment is determine by the terms of contract if there is no agreed term the Employer has right to do what ever he likes at will even to the extent of waking up and dismiss the employee without any reason and the Law in this situation can not be of any help. Because you cannot force a willing servant on an unwilling Master.

*EMPLOYMENT AT PLESURE OR WILL OF THE EMPLOYER:, in this type of employment the employee is working at the will of the Master and the Master can do whatever he likes and at any time concerning the employment.

TERMINATION OF A MASTER AND SERVANT EMPLOYMENT

A master can terminate the employment of his servant at any time and for any reason or for no reason at all provided the termination is in accordance with the terms of the contract of employment the motive for such termination is irrelevant. See Osianya v. Afribank Nig Plc. (2007) 6 NWLR (Pt.1031) 565 (SC).

TERMINATION OF WRITTEN CONTRACT OF EMPLOYMENT

Where there is a written contract of employment, it is outside the province of the Court to look anywhere for terms of termination of the contract, other than in the written contract. See: Katto vs. C.B.N (1999) 6 NWLR (Pt. 607) 390 at 405, paras. D-F.

The terms and conditions of contract of employment are the substratum of any case where the issue of wrongful termination of employment calls for determination. The importance of the terms of a contract of service in determining the question of termination of the contract was emphasize as follows by Mohammed JSC in Ifeta v. Shell Pet. Dev. Co. Ltd (2006) 7 MJSC 121 at page 133, para. G
"In the determination of this issue, I need to emphasize the bindingness of the terms of the contract of service between the parties. There is no doubt that the parties’ freedom of contract carries with it the inevitable implication of sanctity of their contracts. This means that if any question should arise with respect to the contract, the terms in any documents which constitute the contract are, invariably, the guide to its interpretation. On this premises, the material question is; what did the parties in the instant case agree with respect to the termination of the contract of service”
In the absence of a written contract of employment either of the parties could abrogate the contract on a week’s or a month’s notice, or on payment of wages for a week or a month or whatever was agreed period for payment of wages.

That is the Law in Nigeria !!!
You have done well but there are more to this.
ILO conventions and other international labour standards are now adopted to interpret labour issues irrespective of our national laws.
The 3rd alteration act of the 1999 constitution read together with the NICN act now enables the National industrial Court to adopt international labour standard in interpreting labour issues.
Re: What Does It Mean To Be A Contract Staff? by lawani: 3:30pm On Aug 29, 2017
It has merits and demerits depending on the emoluments. The Position of super eagles chief coach is a contract position

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Nigerian Graduates Are Unemployable And Solutions To The Problem / Hepatitis And Company Employment In Nigeria / PHOTOS: Nigerian Becomes World's Highest Paid Robotics Engineer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.