Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,763 members, 7,824,190 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 04:02 AM

I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. (10303 Views)

Just Lost My Job / My Fiancé Just Lost His Job / How I Lost A Potential Job Because Of My Denomination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Habisoye: 10:56am On Aug 30, 2017
2nd Degree,ACCA/ACA OR 6-years Work Experience which one is Key?
I just lost a job offer of 650k because of Professional Certification.

This recent one happened to be a Finance Manager and which i got to the last stage as a result of proven extensive work experience in Accounting and Financial Operations and with my MBA. But i was surprised when the CFO that interviewed me said he would've chosen me but it's quite unfortunate that i have no Professional Certification(ACA or ACCA) not considering the fact that I'm at the final stage already and i have HND & MBA with 6yrs exp.
It really pained me but i just I've to let it go.
But one thing i'm sure of is that there's nothing a Chattered Accountant can do that i can not, but there's a lot that i can do with my experience that a chattered accountant cannot do. so why the discrimination?.

My questions goes thus; 1. Why do company always want a Chattered Accountant by all means to fill the position in Account and Finance.
2. Is 6-years Extensive Work Experience in Account not enough for a person to hold a position of a Finance Manager?
3. Does MBA not ok enough to hold that position?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Damsman10(m): 11:05am On Aug 30, 2017
do the needful OP, get those qualifications because a bigger opportunity will swing by soon

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by PatrickOkunima(m): 11:05am On Aug 30, 2017
It's chartered, not chattered.

34 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by JAkpayen(m): 11:06am On Aug 30, 2017
Sorry bro! This country values people who acquire lots of school papers or filled with book knowledge but lacking in "common sense"

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by samebony1: 11:08am On Aug 30, 2017
MBA is not an Accounts Major certification

Is 6-years Extensive Work Experience in Account not enough for a person to hold a position of a Finance Manager?

If the potential employer says it is not enough, then it is not enough. The ball is in their court.

Why do company always want a Chattered Accountant by all means to fill the position in Account and Finance.

It adds some degree of prestige to the organization. A bragging Right. They can say they have such on their staff list

25 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Nobody: 11:41am On Aug 30, 2017
Believe me Op, they never wanted to give you the job. Forget that 'I would have' they never would have.

Just keep pushing.. Don't give up. If you wait for too long and there's none forth coming, then be the boss cool

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Nobody: 11:42am On Aug 30, 2017
Yes, professional certifications are bragging rights for employers.

My advice to the OP is to humble him/herself and register for the ACCA or ACA.

5 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Orobo2Lekpa: 11:52am On Aug 30, 2017
Some People take more 10 years to complete ACCA/ACA that when they finish, they are Shattered Accountants grin grin grin

27 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by BlueRayDick: 12:16pm On Aug 30, 2017
Tho am not an authority in accounting field, but I must tell u mostly in the business/finance related fields certification is key. In my own field I've seen people getting stuck at one level for a long time because of lack of certification, i mean people who are at the managerial level already but cannot take a step further because they don't have the certification despite having MBA.

I think what everyone should do is learn from the environment they operate in. Like myself immediately I started working I registered for my professionals and less then 2years I am done. Now masters will follow this year.I knew masters won't help me much for now, so i had to channel all my resources (time, money, etc) into getting what was needed.

@op I advice you register for your ACCA too and get ur over with. I can't even imagine myself having 6years work experience without any professional certification to join my degree. MBA is good too but some companies want that certification because they include it in the company's profile the number of certified professionals they have working with them and in such instances your mba don't matter.

10 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Realkenny(m): 12:16pm On Aug 30, 2017
Nobody cares about HND
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Realkenny(m): 12:19pm On Aug 30, 2017
HenryDion:
Believe me Op, they never wanted to give you the job. Forget that 'I would have' they never would have.

Just keep pushing.. Don't give up. If you wait for too long and there's none forth coming, then be the boss cool
This Kind Of Thinking Will Make You Lose all OP

Op Kindly get the necessary qualification

5 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Nobody: 12:22pm On Aug 30, 2017
They will still require for another qualification, maybe PhD this time around. The job was never for Op.. I advice he wait for his own job or better still, create a job.

Realkenny:
This Kind Of Thinking Will Make You Lose all OP

Op Kindly get the necessary qualification

1 Like

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Realkenny(m): 12:25pm On Aug 30, 2017
HenryDion:
They will still require for another qualification, maybe PhD this time around. The job was never for Op.. I advice he wait for his own job or better still, create a job.

Op If They require PhD go get one. You'll need everything in the future no cert is a waste

2 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by yinkeys(m): 12:31pm On Aug 30, 2017
Oga @jarus , please come give some professional answers to this.
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Nobody: 12:33pm On Aug 30, 2017
As a finance person, it's imperative you are chartered. Thats what distinguishes you from other managers in a company. Almost all managers have MBA.

5 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Nobody: 12:37pm On Aug 30, 2017
HenryDion:

seems you are not aware of the competition in Nigeria. For every position as above there are more than 10 qualified individuals with different certification, degrees and experience. It's always good you have the right skills and qualification to set you apart. This is to tell the OP he needs to step up his qualification.

4 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by dreamworld: 12:39pm On Aug 30, 2017
God gave us sense so that we can stop disturbing him

3 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Nobody: 12:39pm On Aug 30, 2017
People like me who's trippin' 4 another new career: copywriting.

Some of these people require qualifications in journalism and 5-6 yrs experience in which I don't have yet.

And yet, I wonder if qualifications is more better than skills/creativity/innovative thinking.

People really need to think twice.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by BlueRayDick: 1:50pm On Aug 30, 2017
Realkenny:
Nobody cares about HND

If you have HND its advisable you back it up with MBA in this present day Nigeria or else.....
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by ITbomb(m): 1:51pm On Aug 30, 2017
Dont blame the company. If they go on any bidding contract, one of the requirements would be a Chartered Accountant in its employed.
Some of the top men the Chartered society are leaders in the accounting industry and it pains them when a practicing accountant refuses to join the body. It may be to be able to regulate the industry but also to pay the necessary dues.

Do you think any responsible company will hire an experienced and qualified engineer who is not COREN registered? It's the same.
Go and pick the form for ACCA or ICAN

8 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Zirah: 2:05pm On Aug 30, 2017
Habisoye:

I haven't read your post. Only saw the heading to know it must be ICAN/ACCA certification related. Lol. That's to tell you how important that is.

Modified: Read. First and foremost, you can't even spell Chartered correctly. That is to say you're not ready. When will you ever be? At this your "high" level you still need somebody to tell you before you know certifications are highly revered? You must be joking.

What does MBA have to do with Accounting professionally, by the way, anyway?

Oga, you need some schooling.

I'm an ICAN student at the moment and only need 1 year experience to beat you hands down in any interview (no bragging). You need to get off your high horse and get yourself certified with immediate effect! Best of luck.

8 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by dahmie2013: 3:08pm On Aug 30, 2017
Op, wow dis is rada sad! I really envy d fact dat u have d experience. No amount of money or certificate can equate one's experience especially in Accounting.
I 4 one, i'm even chartered, but I don't have relevant accounting experience & it's really hindering me 4rm getting a job.
Nywys, like ppl have said, just register 4 any of dem.
It is well!

1 Like

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Policymaker88: 3:08pm On Aug 30, 2017
Habisoye:

This recent one happened to be a Finance Manager and which i got to the last stage as a result of proven extensive work experience in Accounting and Financial Operations and with my MBA. But i was surprised when the CFO that interviewed me said he would've chosen me but it's quite unfortunate that i have no Professional Certification(ACA or ACCA) not considering the fact that I'm at the final stage already and i have HND & MBA with 6yrs exp.
It really pained me but i just I've to let it go.
But one thing i'm sure of is that there's nothing a Chattered Accountant can do that i can not, but there's a lot that i can do with my experience that a chattered accountant cannot do. so why the discrimination?.

My questions goes thus; 1. Why do company always want a Chattered Accountant by all means to fill the position in Account and Finance.
2. Is 6-years Extensive Work Experience in Account not enough for a person to hold a position of a Finance Manager?
3. Does MBA not ok enough to hold that position?
This is my take on this, certifications are absolutely important, however the CFO should have offered the job to him given his extensive experience with a condition that he gets this certification within a given period (say the next two years).

3 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by obajoey(m): 4:13pm On Aug 30, 2017
chai, this one strong oo cheesy
Orobo2Lekpa:
Some People take more 10 years to complete ACCA/ACA that when the finish, they are Shattered Accountants grin grin grin
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Jarus(m): 4:26pm On Aug 30, 2017
Unfortunately, he is right. I will also not employ a non-chartered accountant as Finance Manager.

Accounting officer, yes. Even Finance Supervisor, yes. Finance manager, no.

You're not yet a serious accountant, if you are not yet a member of a professional accountibg body

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Zirah: 4:53pm On Aug 30, 2017
dahmie2013:
Op, wow dis is rada sad! I really envy d fact dat u have d experience. No amount of money or certificate can equate one's experience especially in Accounting.
I 4 one, i'm even chartered, but I don't have relevant accounting experience & it's really hindering me 4rm getting a job.
Nywys, like ppl have said, just register 4 any of dem.
It is well!

Have you had any interviews since you got Chartered?
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by afuye(m): 5:04pm On Aug 30, 2017
So the OP is a jeko-jeko accountant. We call dem Jeko-Jeko

1 Like

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Nobody: 5:21pm On Aug 30, 2017
Ur simply lazy
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Ayanfeoluwaoba(f): 5:28pm On Aug 30, 2017
U mean to say scattered Accountant!!

Orobo2Lekpa:
Some People take more 10 years to complete ACCA/ACA that when they finish, they are Shattered Accountants grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by balaclava: 5:33pm On Aug 30, 2017
Na all dz kain news make me enter Street despite my small qualifications

#I'm street so look both ways before you cross me.

You can't tell dt to an interviewer. You go just humble once u sitdown. grin
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Nobody: 5:50pm On Aug 30, 2017
Policymaker88:
This is my take on this, certifications are absolutely important, however the CFO should have offered the job to him given his extensive experience with a condition that he gets this certification within a given period (say the next two years).
see only few organisations truly give a jerk about potential employees. There are many fishes in the pool.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by firdouz: 5:52pm On Aug 30, 2017
Interesting... I think u need both the experience and the qualification. I got Chartered recently and it's been tough despite that I am very positive. Bros, go and pick your form, am sure with hardwork and dedication you will dust the exams in no time. Though it's painful, forge ahead and learn from that. It's not over till its over. ACA is a big deal men!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Abuja Npower Successful Applicant Let's Get Give And Update Here / Ican Students! Please Read This. / How Real Are Online Vacancies?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.