Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,754 members, 7,827,791 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 05:04 PM

I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. (10318 Views)

Just Lost My Job / My Fiancé Just Lost His Job / How I Lost A Potential Job Because Of My Denomination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Heromaniaa: 6:33pm On Aug 30, 2017
Sorry
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by adelacuna(m): 6:41pm On Aug 30, 2017
PatrickOkunima:
It's chartered, not chattered.

Over sabi dey worry u, why can't you just pass if you know u can give a reasonable advice
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Odunharry(m): 6:48pm On Aug 30, 2017
Xfire
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Habisoye: 7:51pm On Aug 30, 2017
Please Note, I'm already a registered student of ICAN, in my professional stage. I just passed my PM and PSAF last diet, so am writing 2-courses this Nov.diet.
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by PatrickOkunima(m): 8:07pm On Aug 30, 2017
So, correcting someone is the new definition of over sabi.
adelacuna:

Over sabi dey worry u, why can't you just pass if you know u can give a reasonable advice
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Nobody: 8:09pm On Aug 30, 2017
Some positions require certification , for objectivity these roles already have minimum requirements

2 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by adelacuna(m): 8:28pm On Aug 30, 2017
PatrickOkunima:
So, correcting someone is the new definition of over sabi.
Your correction was satirical, u ignored the main issue the OP raised and u emphasized on his mistake.
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by funola: 8:39pm On Aug 30, 2017
How did they even call you for interview self,there should minimum requirement....re u sure u didn't gate crash self lol
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by aieromon(m): 9:27pm On Aug 30, 2017
Policymaker88:
This is my take on this, certifications are absolutely important, however the CFO should have offered the job to him given his extensive experience with a condition that he gets this certification within a given period (say the next two years).

This is a middle/senior management position. If the person is not chartered,how does he get to supervise subordinates who have ICAN/ACCA certifications?

How does he represent the organization in a forum where everybody else is affiliated to ICAN or ACCA?

It's a thing of prestige and the OP should be aware of the trend in his industry. I know people that got certified before they finished University and they were quicky scooped up by the big 4 audit firms in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by napoleon77(m): 9:59pm On Aug 30, 2017
Habisoye:
2nd Degree,ACCA/ACA OR 6-years Work Experience which one is Key?
I just lost a job offer of 650k because of Professional Certification.

This recent one happened to be a Finance Manager and which i got to the last stage as a result of proven extensive work experience in Accounting and Financial Operations and with my MBA. But i was surprised when the CFO that interviewed me said he would've chosen me but it's quite unfortunate that i have no Professional Certification(ACA or ACCA) not considering the fact that I'm at the final stage already and i have HND & MBA with 6yrs exp.
It really pained me but i just I've to let it go.
But one thing i'm sure of is that there's nothing a Chattered Accountant can do that i can not, but there's a lot that i can do with my experience that a chattered accountant cannot do. so why the discrimination?.

My questions goes thus; 1. Why do company always want a Chattered Accountant by all means to fill the position in Account and Finance.
2. Is 6-years Extensive Work Experience in Account not enough for a person to hold a position of a Finance Manager?
3. Does MBA not ok enough to hold that position?

There could be lots of reasons why you did not get the job! Besides, you have not lost a job offer because the job was not offered to you in the 1st place!

3 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Nobody: 2:29am On Aug 31, 2017
Habisoye:
2nd Degree,ACCA/ACA OR 6-years Work Experience which one is Key?
I just lost a job offer of 650k because of Professional Certification.

This recent one happened to be a Finance Manager and which i got to the last stage as a result of proven extensive work experience in Accounting and Financial Operations and with my MBA. But i was surprised when the CFO that interviewed me said he would've chosen me but it's quite unfortunate that i have no Professional Certification(ACA or ACCA) not considering the fact that I'm at the final stage already and i have HND & MBA with 6yrs exp.
But one thing i'm sure of is that there's nothing a Chattered Accountant can do that i can not, but there's a lot that i can do with my experience that a chattered accountant cannot do. so why the discrimination?.

My questions goes thus; 1. Why do company always want a Chattered Accountant by all means to fill the position in Account and Finance.
2. Is 6-years Extensive Work Experience in Account not enough for a person to hold a position of a Finance Manager?
3. Does MBA not ok enough to hold that position?

He lied to you,thats not the real reason
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by NoToPile: 3:21am On Aug 31, 2017
I read through the post and I wonder why nairalanders are saying go and pick the form, go and register .

How come no one noticed he said he's at the final stage already

Just an observation

1 Like

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Smartjob1(f): 4:38am On Aug 31, 2017
Dont worry Op. Better future lies ahead. If you can, go get the qualifications.

Still looking for that dream job? Tired of printing and submitting CVs without any success? Tired of recruiting the wrong set of people? Help is here!

Join the world's smartest job network www.bejite.com today. Find jobs, recruit easily, find, connect, contact, share and chat with your favourite employers and jobseeker, business mentors and partners. Sign up and update your CV to enhance your chances of landing that dream job. Grow and expand your brand through your connections. It is easy.

HR firms get their best candidates on bejite. You could be the next lucky candidate. Sign up now. It is free!
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by 9japrof(m): 4:57am On Aug 31, 2017
Go get the certifications and stop whining...

2 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by donbuchi1(m): 6:38am On Aug 31, 2017
NoToPile:
I read through the post and I wonder why nairalanders are saying go and pick the form, go and register .

But i was surprised when the CFO that interviewed me said he would've chosen me but it's quite unfortunate that i have no Professional Certification(ACA or ACCA) not considering the fact that I'm at the final stage already and i have HND & MBA with 6yrs exp.

So it was at that final stage he was dropped. Most organizations allow for the two best candidates to get to the final stage. And the the head of that unit or MD picks one after meeting with them.
Boss do get certified ASAP. I won't say please....

Just an observation
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by donbuchi1(m): 6:39am On Aug 31, 2017
NoToPile:

But i was surprised when the CFO that interviewed me said he would've chosen me but it's quite unfortunate that i have no Professional Certification(ACA or ACCA) not considering the fact that I'm at the final stage already and i have HND & MBA with 6yrs exp.

Just an observation

So it was at that final stage he was dropped. Most organizations allow for the two best candidates to get to the final stage. And the head of that unit or MD picks one after meeting with them.
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Bamz(m): 7:30am On Aug 31, 2017
Orobo2Lekpa:
Some People take more 10 years to complete ACCA/ACA that when they finish, they are Shattered Accountants grin grin grin

shocked
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by labiola: 10:19am On Aug 31, 2017
This will keep Happening and hurting. As a young accountant, the best thing you can do for yourself is to get professional qualification and get relevant experience. Don't pick money over those two things, because it might come back to hurt you.

1 Like

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Oduok(m): 10:54am On Aug 31, 2017
The day you will finally get chartered as an accountant you will come back and read this your post and see a whole lot of difference. Academic knowledge and "work experience" can be deceptive. When we talk of work experience it is not the length of time that matters but the role and the milestones met. There are lots of key roles that you must have not been given in your organization(s) because you were not chartered. Try and get chartered the difference will be clear. Let's promote professionalism in our callings.

3 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by tandyyy: 11:01am On Aug 31, 2017
http://kaitect.com/145e

Wow.....i understand how you feel. The same thing most of us go through.
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Jarus(m): 11:16am On Aug 31, 2017
aieromon:

This is a middle/senior management position. If the person is not chartered,how does he get to supervise subordinates who have ICAN/ACCA certifications?

How does he represent the organization in a forum where everybody else is affiliated to ICAN or ACCA?

It's a thing of prestige and the OP should be aware of the trend in his industry. I know people that got certified before they finished University and they were quicky scooped up by the big 4 audit firms in Nigeria.

Gbam.

Even auditors look at qualifications of preparers of financial information to give comfort on reliability. Professional qualification is a key consideration.

2 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Jarus(m): 11:17am On Aug 31, 2017
donbuchi1:

So it was at that final stage he was dropped. Most organizations allow for the two best candidates to get to the final stage. And the head of that unit or MD picks one after meeting with them.

Exactly. It may have been the tie breaker between him and his rival.

1 Like

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by NoToPile: 11:34am On Aug 31, 2017
donbuchi1:

I meant he said he was at the final stage of the certification not the recruitment process except I miss understood the statement below

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by chukzyfcbb: 1:59pm On Aug 31, 2017
A wise man says its better to be prepared and not have the opportunity, than to have the opportunity and not be prepared.

Op before another Opportunity presents itself and u lose out. Prepare for an ACCA certificate so you don't lose another opportunity.

With your MBA and experience that you claim to have. you should ace the ACCA exams in a very short time!

Cheers

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Erums(m): 2:19pm On Aug 31, 2017
Bros quit the long talk... In nigeria in any company of repute... Some sensitive positions cant be held naturally witot some worldwide accepted certs... U might have all xperience but no cert to prove it...

Aprt frm you working in the organization, yoyr a the organisations rep to the outside world... Thats why when auditors visit a company to rview processes.. They always ask tlwhats the teaining and certification levels of the peraonells handling the process...

Go get an acca or an ican...

Im just a safety officer... Nebosh all the way.. When they come.. And i say im am nebosh certified.. They deal with the with respect and courtesy...some seff dnt have..

Na so broda ooo

2 Likes

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Habisoye: 7:06pm On Aug 31, 2017
Hmmmmmn......................This life shaaaaa!!!!

Thank you all for all the advice and contributions, i will make sure i sit tight to finish my ican next diet and so help me God.

But nairalanders, it isn't easy oooo... ICAN no be beans oooo for people like me that's working and raising a family of 2kids as well.

1 Like

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by connectomega: 7:50pm On Aug 31, 2017
A chartered Account's job can only be done by a chartered Accountant. No matter your years of experience on the job, you can only do a bit of the job. Just like every other field, the job is deep.

An MBA holder cannot really function like an ordinary Accountant, let alone a chartered Accountant.

www.lolia.com.ng
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by aieromon(m): 7:58pm On Aug 31, 2017
Habisoye:
Hmmmmmn......................This life shaaaaa!!!!

Thank you all for all the advice and contributions, i will make sure i sit tight to finish my ican next diet and so help me God.

But nairalanders, it isn't easy oooo... ICAN no be beans oooo for people like me that's working and raising a family of 2kids as well.

Persevere a little longer and you will be the toast of any panelist in future interviews.

Good luck.
Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by Obeledavid: 10:42pm On Aug 31, 2017

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by nonizy(m): 11:16pm On Aug 31, 2017
i cherish that quote that its better to be prepared and no opportunity yet,than where there is opportunity no preparation.....................AM a petrochemical engr by profession teaching in a private school at festac lagos, have been certified with HSSE level 123,PMP and M.NSE member presently running my masters in engineering and working towards my NEBOSH soon.........one need to be certified in case of great opening in the future

1 Like

Re: I Just Lost A Job Offer Of 650k Because Of Professional Qualification. by donbuchi1(m): 3:42am On Sep 01, 2017
NoToPile:

I meant he said he was at the final stage of the certification not the recruitment process except I miss understood the statement below

You're right. Final stage doesn't mean he got the certification. What if another candidate has 6 years experience plus this certification and did well in the interview. What would CFO do?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Bankers' Warehouse Plc Is A Cheat And Slave Land. / The Lanky Genius Without A Job By Mobolaji Atolagbe / Still A Jobseeker? How Have You Been Coping?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.