Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) (61233 Views)

Shocking Aftermath Of Mogadishu Bomb Blast That Killed Over 230(Graphic Photos) / Shocking Aftermath Of Las Vegas Shooting That You Really Need To See(Photos) / Hurricane Harvey: Mike Pence Tours Devastated Areas In Texas (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by Sirambassador(m): 12:31am On Aug 31, 2017
Yet some cone will sing water no get enemy
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by Amberon11: 12:45am On Aug 31, 2017
This is a Hurricane, not your flooding caused by rain. There's absolutely nothing which can be done to prevent a Hurricane. Lagos flooding is largely due to bad drainage.
FisifunKododada:
If its Nigeria now some people will be complaining of bad drainage

2 Likes

Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by LordAdam: 12:52am On Aug 31, 2017
EazyMoh:

Story!
I admitted our emergency services and precautions are below acceptable. We can absolutely do better. But not by condemning our countries and acting as if the little people do doesn't matter.
If 500 die in Sirrea Leon Mudslide and more than 10 die in US $160bn worth of damage after weeks of warning and their preparations, then where is all their sophistication that you people are busy glorifying?
Talking about your country doesn't make it better, If you want things done better get involved and contribute your best towards finding solution.
The so called developed countries aren't anywhere close to how you people paint them and demonize your own countries.

You're not the brightest of the bunch it appears.

Texas is larger than the entire South of Nigeria. Badagry is four times larger than Freetown. If 1000 people died in Freetown that's not large enough to be a county in Texas, yet less than 50 died in Texas, then it really tells a lot about how much you value lives.

And talking about the worth of damage is a moot point because Nigeria's entire budget is less than $30b (let's not talk about Sierra Leone). You can't lose what you don't have. And it's not like they can relocate buildings and critical infrastructure which make up the bulk of damages.

There have been floods in many parts of Nigeria this year because of the rains and poor drainages. It was the same case last year and the year before. It'd be the same next year. And when reasonable people complain, people like you who see suffering as an acceptable way of living would look for silly excuses to justify the pitiable negligence exhibited by the government.

Later, you'll call their ineptitude, "the little people do." They'll inflate contracts and still under-deliver or outrightly neglect the project, people die as a result, and you explain it away as "the little people do"? Your reasoning is a public hazard.

Even beavers build dams in time to protect their homes from flooding, yet you call yourself a human being after typing the trash you so effortlessly spew. If a beaver is smarter than you are, you need help.

A people surely deserve the leaders they get.

I was wrong to call your comments patriotic, they are disgusting.

-Lord

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by haryorbarmie83(m): 1:14am On Aug 31, 2017
Insurance cover everything... na Yankee no be africa.
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by falopey: 1:17am On Aug 31, 2017
Ralph147:
All these flood affected cars will eventually end up in Nigeria. BEWARE
Na today? Go check very well the one you drive if no be flooded car? Na which importer go confess to you say no be flooded.
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by mikaelson1101: 1:19am On Aug 31, 2017
I feel so damn bad for the people of texas, its shocking what i found here http://kaitect.com/17791955/harvey
Pray for the people of Houston,
I cant believe im glad i live in Naija
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by LordAdam: 1:19am On Aug 31, 2017
sonnie10:

They circumstances are totally different from those in Nigeria. There are people who totally depend on 24hrs functional utilities to survive . They've healthcare worker taking care of them round the clock.

Do you know the number of nursing homes, hospice, ICU assisted living, rehabilitation centers, memorial lost services that are in Houston alone? There are thousands of such facilities in Houston . These places provide service to individuals who otherwise would've long died. They keep treating them, pampering. Patching, doing everything to keep them alive.

Those people are very vulnerable. If they were in Nigeria, , OYO is their case. But instead, they are place in life supports, vents, feeding tubes, oxygen tubes, incubators to keep them alive
You can only imagine what happens when power goes off for a second or their care providers are not able to get to them because of flood.

Secondly, do not look at those figures and budgets as being high because everything is paid for on hourly rate in US. Those emergency personal are all paid on hourly rate.

That fellow is a blockhead. He is one of the educated illiterates who do not have the mental capacity to fathom that there can ever be something better than what he is experiencing.

Trying to explain such things to him is akin to pouring water on stone. It'd be the most unproductive thing you do this year.

-Lord
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by motherfucker: 1:39am On Aug 31, 2017
cyber5:

Sir, God works in a mysterious way. Even weather forecast are not 100% accurate.

Before the flood, they might have thought the rain will just fall and stop normally but the rain was a very heavy one that rained non-stop
no no no... it was widely reported that it was gonna be very severe.
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by akigbemaru: 1:55am On Aug 31, 2017
LordAdam:

Texas is larger than the entire South of Nigeria. Badagry is four times larger than Freetown. If 1000 people died in Freetown that's not large enough to be a county in Texas, yet less than 50 died in Texas, then it really tells a lot about how much you value lives.

And talking about the worth of damage is a moot point because Nigeria's entire budget is less than $30b (let's not talk about Sierra Leone). You can't lose what you don't have. And it's not like they can relocate buildings and critical infrastructure which make up the bulk of damages.

There have been floods in many parts of Nigeria this year because of the rains and poor drainages. It was the same case last year and the year before. It'd be the same next year. And when reasonable people complain, people like you who see suffering as an acceptable way of living would look for silly excuses to justify the pitiable negligence exhibited by the government.

Later, you'll call their ineptitude, "the little people do." They'll inflate contracts and still under-deliver or outrightly neglect the project, people die as a result, and you explain it away as "the little people do"? Your reasoning is a public hazard.

Even beavers build dams in time to protect their homes from flooding, yet you call yourself a human being after typing the trash you so effortlessly spew. If a beaver is smarter than you are, you need help.

-Lord
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by fitprince: 2:59am On Aug 31, 2017
sonnie10:

Charity begins at home. Facebook has already started campaign to match donations,. So far over $1M have been matched.

Nairaland as the leading social media in Nigeria should have led the way during lekki flood. Cooperate responsibility is common sense.
facebook is regarded as an international company. most of it active users are actually africans, nigerians especially. so if there are raising money for texas victims, they should have also raised money for their african users too.
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by favoured78(f): 3:08am On Aug 31, 2017
It is well in Jesus name - Amen.
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by sonnie10: 3:33am On Aug 31, 2017
fitprince:

facebook is regarded as an international company. most of it active users are actually africans, nigerians especially. so if there are raising money for texas victims, they should have also raised money for their african users too.

Thank you very much. Ok, there is another dimension of which I would love to hear your defense.

This question is coming after struggling with my thoughts on how to present it because I know it touches the very core of our belief and too sacred to be questioned. But I just have to put it across.

Joel Osteen the Pastor of the biggest church in Houston opened his church to be used as shelter. Now my question is, how many churches in Lagos opened their auditorium for shelter during lekki flood?

The truth is that Nigerians need to start cultivating the altitude of asking, "How do I help"? I know it could overwhelming considering the vast majority who need help in Nigeria. But this is what you hear everyday people in U.S. ask in situation like this.

It is the right thing to do and takes pressure off the emergency crew.
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by DrGoodmanFather: 4:04am On Aug 31, 2017
Went out today for the first time since Friday. I will never wish my enemy to experience flood.
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by DrGoodmanFather: 4:07am On Aug 31, 2017
ashala:

In the coming months these flooded cars would find its way into Nigeria. Wait and see.

I am part of those that will send them. Watch out for my deals on Nairaland. Man must chop.

1 Like

Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by sonnie10: 4:19am On Aug 31, 2017
LordAdam:

-Lord

It is just amazing how prepared Americans are for emergency situations like this. I learnt that the reservoir that saved Houston was built 70 years ago. It could take 65billion gallons of water.
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by chris51(f): 4:28am On Aug 31, 2017
Whoever that sent this post with the pictures did a wonderful job. I say, "well done". I live in Houston and know what you are talking about. I have never seen a thing like this before.
May the souls of the departed rest in peace. AMEN. We lost a police Sgt. He left his house on Sunday to help but drowned. His body was found on Tuesday. Very, sad. Let us continue to thank God for His mercy and protection.

2 Likes

Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by iLickAnalFungus(m): 4:28am On Aug 31, 2017
fumiswtpusy:

Please cross check there is no international air port os sea port functioning in ss or se.
they are been marginalized and we all need to speak up,because we are first human before tribe.and remember an injustice to some somewhere is anjustice to all everywhere.
Out of the betrayals,came a betrayal,betraying the betrayals.
I'm a humanist, so, I strongly believe in humanity.. The system is not perfect, but it's still a far cry from what you're saying, the imperfections will be sorted soon, and every Nigerian will be proud..
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by chris51(f): 4:29am On Aug 31, 2017
chris51:
Whoever that sent this post with the pictures did a wonderful job. I say, "well done". I live in Houston and know what you are talking about. I have never seen a thing like this before.
May the souls of the departed rest in peace. AMEN. We lost a police Sgt. He left his house on Sunday to help but drowned. His body was found on Tuesday. Very, sad. Let us continue to thank God for His mercy and protection.
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by fitprince: 4:38am On Aug 31, 2017
sonnie10:

Thank you very much. Ok, there is another dimension of which I would love to hear your defense.

This question is coming after struggling with my thoughts on how to present it because I know it touches the very core of our belief and too sacred to be questioned. But I just have to put it across.

Joel Osteen the Pastor of the biggest church in Houston opened his church to be used as shelter. Now my question is, how many churches in Lagos opened their auditorium for shelter during lekki flood?

The truth is that Nigerians need to start cultivating the altitude of asking, "How do I help"? I know it could overwhelming considering the vast majority who need help in Nigeria. But this is what you hear everyday people in U.S. ask in situation like this.

It is the right thing to do and takes pressure off the emergency crew.
i am not a christian and i have always condemn nigerian kind of Christianity. please note, i never said i have always condemn Christianity.
i am judging from the general point of view. do you know that even cnn and bbc never publicized the lekki flood like they do if it was either europe or the usa?
do you know that the mudslide that happened recently i seirre leone wasnt give enough publicity?
facebook didnt even do their usual norm of putting flags of countries in distress on the profile pic.
i am not looking at this from the religious point of view. i am just being unbiased.
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by manny4life(m): 5:15am On Aug 31, 2017
It's easy for many keyboard warriors to type "why didn't they leave for other neighboring cities despite the warning"? Well it isn't that easy to just up and leave your home because you really don't know precisely where it's gonna start from. A lot of neighboring cities that hadn't anticipated to be hit were hit hard.. Sugar land, Cypress, Richmond, were under intense flooding, up north around Spring, Humble, were hit hard. To the east, 1-10 to Galveston, Beaumont were submerged, and then 610 (the fourth largest road in the U.S.) was completely under water. So to answer your question, there were "NO" nearby cities to go to other than prepare for the worst.
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by cyber5(m): 5:35am On Aug 31, 2017
motherfucker:
no no no... it was widely reported that it was gonna be very severe.

Really, so they want to know
what will happen.
My uncle said it killed 6 people last year

1 Like

Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by KVC1970: 6:00am On Aug 31, 2017
This is tragic my heart goes out to all the victims and the government of Texas and the USA.
May God come to there rescue .speedily
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by doublecheif: 6:03am On Aug 31, 2017
Lord have mercy
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by Nobody: 6:39am On Aug 31, 2017
Nanjerian:
Mohammed said it before himself before his death that he too does not know his destination, and that if any Muslim does not understand the Quran,they should ask the Christians for the truth. My brother,seek the truth and find it,i am concerned

Jannah - Heaven

Jahannam - Hell

Can you see?

As for the truth, Nobody can say for sure
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by Nobody: 7:03am On Aug 31, 2017
Am not surprised
Sodom and Gomorrah people were swept away into extinction,just like other tribes who felt they can practice homosexuality etc.
Americans,you are getting punished for what you are doing
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by bisi16(m): 7:12am On Aug 31, 2017
Explorers:
Cars at a dealership in Houston float are almost entirely submerged in wateras the flood levels continue to rise on Tuesday.
See Nigerians future cars :-)
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by immortalcrown(m): 7:18am On Aug 31, 2017
Hmmm!
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by petitejolie(f): 7:22am On Aug 31, 2017
o boy! lekki flood dey learn for where dis one day o. its so scary.
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by Nobody: 7:24am On Aug 31, 2017
yorhmienerd:
Nigeria need to learn from this... embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed embarassed

But we'd rather use the situation to get money than help people

exactly! the case of IDP camps nd the grass cutting contract saga comes to mind.
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by xtreemk: 7:42am On Aug 31, 2017
After killing millions of children in iraq, Syria, libya, afganistan and many more.. you expect to fold your arms and stay safe.. that is just the beginning... but with deep sorrow I pray for the innocent citizens of texas...

Also bad days for insurance companies in the US
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by princemedico: 7:48am On Aug 31, 2017
For those asking why the city was not evacuated;

"Houston has faced sharp criticism for telling its 2.3 million residents to stay put amid the unprecedented flooding, but local officials point to the lessons learned from the melee that ensued in September 2005.
With New Orleans still reeling from Katrina's devastation, the city issued an evacuation that prompted millions of Texans to flee their homes and led to 20-hour traffic jams, stranding drivers across hundreds of miles.
Of the more than 100 people who died during Hurricane Rita, at least 60 of those deaths were in connection to the evacuation, according to a 2006 report to the Texas House of Representatives.
Ten people died from heat exposure while 23 nursing home residents were killed in a bus fire."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41085438

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/08/28/546721363/why-didn-t-officials-order-the-evacuation-of-houston

http://nypost.com/2017/08/29/experts-defend-decision-not-to-evacuate-houston/
Re: The Shocking Aftermath Of Hurricane Harvey In Texas(Photos) by BTT(m): 8:16am On Aug 31, 2017
pdppower:
May something like this never happen in Nigeria, otherwise half of the population will go with it

It is under you noses in Benue already. I don't know why our press is silent about it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Donald Trump Says Vladimir Putin Is Smart, 'Played Joe Biden Like A Drum' (Pics) / Cameroonian Soldier Kills Army Commander, Then Shoots Himself Dead. Graphic Pics / Viral Video Of Ghana's Presidential Convoy (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.