Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,872 members, 7,956,283 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 09:08 AM

20years On. I Remember Diana - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / 20years On. I Remember Diana (1063 Views)

Celebrities With The Most Beautiful Outfit At Eniola Badmus 20years On Stage / Remember Diana Eneje From Rema's Music Video ‘dumebi'? See How Far She Has Come / Rema: "I Remember When I Dey Suffer", Fans React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

20years On. I Remember Diana by thinkmoney(m): 4:56pm On Aug 31, 2017
The irreplaceable Diana, princess of Wales... You live on in your legacies and sons.

Re: 20years On. I Remember Diana by thinkmoney(m): 5:02pm On Aug 31, 2017
She visited a leprosy hospital in Nigeria in 1990...a foreign Royal?... Do anybody appreciate that?
Re: 20years On. I Remember Diana by thinkmoney(m): 5:12pm On Aug 31, 2017
For Edwards, the contrast between the old and new guard of royals was epitomised by a visit Diana made to a leprosy hospital in Nigeria in 1990.
"I always compare it to a trip I did with Princess Anne in Africa for Save the Children," he said.
"There were 5,000 mothers and children... being inoculated, and I never got one frame of Princess Anne with an African mother or an African child being inoculated.
"When we went to Africa with Diana, we couldn't stop her hugging them, feeding them, embracing them. She was embracing them... looking straight into their eyes and made them feel a million dollars."
To Ingrid Seward, editor of Majesty magazine, the difference was just as stark: "She made the rest of them look completely old-fashioned really."
Re: 20years On. I Remember Diana by thinkmoney(m): 5:36pm On Aug 31, 2017
Princess Diana was a patron of more than 100 charities before her death in 1997. She is widely credited with helping to challenge the public's perception of HIV and Aids by shaking the hands of patients at the London Lighthouse, a centre that pioneered services for sufferers.
BBC royal correspondent Nicholas Witchell believes Diana's different style was down to her "coming from outside the Royal Family".
"She was a person of her generation who found it rather implausible that one was expected to step back and not embrace people, quite literally."
Re: 20years On. I Remember Diana by thinkmoney(m): 5:45pm On Aug 31, 2017
her influence on her sons...Royal commentator Richard Fitzwilliams says Diana's relationship with the public and the media clearly influenced her sons.
"I don't think anyone would've predicted William and Harry would be as candid as they were. And that is undoubtedly down to their absolute admiration of their mother and that they're clearly following in their footsteps in terms of her charity work."
In a recent BBC documentary, former Prime Minister Tony Blair said: "Today… we see Prince William and Prince Harry as people who [the public] feel a close connection with.
"It's really important to wind back 20 years and realise she was the first member of the Royal Family that people felt behaved and acted like a normal human being."
Arthur Edwards, however, sees the princes' work as a continuation of their mother's hands-on approach to charitable work.
Remembering a visit to a children's hospital in Barbados with Prince Harry, he says: "He wouldn't leave until there were kids smiling. Same with William. I remember going on a boat on Lake Windermere with him. There were a lot of sick children there and he was twirling them round... really making them feel fantastic."
Re: 20years On. I Remember Diana by mexxmoney: 6:16pm On Aug 31, 2017
Nothing special about Diana's life. Her larger than life personality is just a creation of the romantic media. I don't know of a single thing that she did that was out of the ordinary. She's just another bourgeois who got married to the prince of wales and engaged in charity work. Nothing unusual about that.

(1) (Reply)

I Still Hope To Get Married To Flavour Someday - Anna Banner / Looks Like MC Galaxy's IG Account Has Been Hacked! Nudes Everywhere / Actor Tyrese Gibson Accused Of Abusing His Daughter

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.