Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,424 members, 7,819,523 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:33 PM

After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready - Programming (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready (12819 Views)

Advantages Of Coding Your Own Website Rather Than Using Wordpress Or Wix / How To Build A Simple Search Engine Using Html Css And Javascript / Top 20 Websites To Learn Coding With Java, Python, SQL, Algorithms, And Git For (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by boringnigerian: 12:51am On Sep 08, 2017
Okay, dude, I like the fact that you've put in effort to do this and you want to improve but I kinda agree with the guy I previously quoted: your site looks terrible. Here's the thing; before people actually use your site, they have to first decide that they want to make use of your site and you know what most people's decisions are based on? Appearance! Your site may be the most functional site on the internet but if you pay little attention to the design, trust me, your site would go nowhere. You need to learn design aesthetics which, unfortunately, most Nigerian "developers" and "web designers" completely ignore.

As I said, I like the fact that you chose to work on this but your site needs a redesign from ground up.
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by AfricaNigerian: 8:09am On Sep 08, 2017
did anyone visit the forum using a PC? It's gonna look faceless cos we haven't created a PC version so it might not look good on Pc views.
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by phainix: 7:12pm On Sep 08, 2017
Hi AfricaNigerian, nice work you have up there, for your first trial you didn't do quite so bad, i'm sure a lot of people have said this but you need to work on your colour scheme, stick to one shade of red, and use different variations of the same shade so it doesn't look funny. You could also try asking your friends if they think your colours look nice because its always good to have extra eyes on something

"The <font> tag is not supported in HTML5. Use CSS instead. The <font> tag specifies the font face, font size, and color of text."
lots of the tags you used aren't supported by html5, so i'll advice you to go through tutorials that adhere to html5 standards check out https://www.w3schools.com

Furthermore Fonts are a very big issue in web design so please try to use good fonts check out [url]fonts.google.com[/url] for amazing free fonts, you can just use a cdn: by cdn i mean content delivery network and your site will look a lot better,

<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto" rel="stylesheet">

add this to the head tag and use this in css

font-family: 'Roboto', sans-serif;

Also instead of using <br/> to create new lines its better to set your css style as
display: block
this automatically makes it stay on a single line and any text or image after it has to start from the next line

There are lots of things for you change but most important of all is to get familiar with bootstrap. https://v4-alpha.getbootstrap.com/
Check out the tutorial it helps you build simple, beautiful and responsive sites, so you wouldn't have to build the desktop version and mobile version separately.
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by AfricaNigerian: 9:49am On Sep 09, 2017
wane01:
look i would like to work with u can u drop ur number or info
wane01 Alright sir! add and chat me up on facebook asap with this ID "Daniyan Timilehin"
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by AfricaNigerian: 10:10am On Sep 09, 2017
phainix:
Hi AfricaNigerian, nice work you have up there, for your first trial you didn't do quite so bad, i'm sure a lot of people have said this but you need to work on your colour scheme, stick to one shade of red, and use different variations of the same shade so it doesn't look funny. You could also try asking your friends if they think your colours look nice because its always good to have extra eyes on something

"The <font> tag is not supported in HTML5. Use CSS instead. The <font> tag specifies the font face, font size, and color of text."
lots of the tags you used aren't supported by html5, so i'll advice you to go through tutorials that adhere to html5 standards check out https://www.w3schools.com

Furthermore Fonts are a very big issue in web design so please try to use good fonts check out [url]fonts.google.com[/url] for amazing free fonts, you can just use a cdn: by cdn i mean content delivery network and your site will look a lot better,

<link href="https://fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto" rel="stylesheet">

add this to the head tag and use this in css

font-family: 'Roboto', sans-serif;

Also instead of using <br/> to create new lines its better to set your css style as
display: block
this automatically makes it stay on a single line and any text or image after it has to start from the next line

There are lots of things for you change but most important of all is to get familiar with bootstrap. https://v4-alpha.getbootstrap.com/
Check out the tutorial it helps you build simple, beautiful and responsive sites, so you wouldn't have to build the desktop version and mobile version separately.
Thank you.
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by Fribery: 1:15pm On Sep 09, 2017
This is the first time i am seeing a dot cf domain name extension..

Stick with dot Coms.

i must also commend you for your effort..

at 16 i feel you should still be within the learning curve.. at this point you need to be learning learning learning and not delve too quick into the market.. start with alot of small projects. see how it pans out.. create a forum for your school/uni .. learn from there. its better to fall from a short tree than an iroko tree cus you might not survive it.

David in the bible had to conquer the lion n d bear b4 he faced goliath. Then he had a reason to beat his chest..

it takes 10000hrs to be a master at any field..

thats nothing less than 5yrs. putting in atleast five hours a day. unless you started programming since you where 11..

you are on the right path. Just keep learning at this point and dont loose focus on learning else you get burnt and give up easily..

Read Robert Greene - Mastery..
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by Nobody: 1:37pm On Sep 09, 2017
I completely agree with Fribery. I started coding at around 14yrs, but as at 16, I doubt if I could create something as impressive as this (with/without CMS).
I see the makings of a great programmer at work here (some might be seeing css issues e.t.c but i see beyond that)
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by Nobody: 3:58pm On Sep 09, 2017
dhtml81:
I completely agree with Fribery. I started coding at around 14yrs, but as at 16, I doubt if I could create something as impressive as this (with/without CMS).
I see the makings of a great programmer at work here (some might be seeing css issues e.t.c but i see beyond that)

Hi pls do you teach programming?
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by Nobody: 4:11pm On Sep 09, 2017
Hipsofagoddess:

Hi pls do you teach programming?
No, i do not but you might find people that can help you on my platform - Nairaland.net
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by Nobody: 4:31pm On Sep 09, 2017
dhtml81:

No, i do not but you might find people that can help you on my platform - Nairaland.net

Ok, thanks
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by AfricaNigerian: 9:00pm On Sep 09, 2017
Fribery:
This is the first time i am seeing a dot cf domain name extension..

Stick with dot Coms.

i must also commend you for your effort..

at 16 i feel you should still be within the learning curve.. at this point you need to be learning learning learning and not delve too quick into the market.. start with alot of small projects. see how it pans out.. create a forum for your school/uni .. learn from there. its better to fall from a short tree than an iroko tree cus you might not survive it.

David in the bible had to conquer the lion n d bear b4 he faced goliath. Then he had a reason to beat his chest..

it takes 10000hrs to be a master at any field..

thats nothing less than 5yrs. putting in atleast five hours a day. unless you started programming since you where 11..

you are on the right path. Just keep learning at this point and dont loose focus on learning else you get burnt and give up easily..

Read Robert Greene - Mastery..
thank you sir.
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by AfricaNigerian: 8:28am On Sep 10, 2017
We now have two moderators on http://forum4africa.Cf a Male and a Female
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by AfricaNigerian: 7:30am On Sep 11, 2017
The PC version of the forum is on its way.
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by AfricaNigerian: 6:34am On Sep 15, 2017
Improvements have been made on the forum http://forum4africa.Cf

1 Like

Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by AfricaNigerian: 6:04pm On Sep 18, 2017
Users can now create Polls using the SPC feature.
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by Nobody: 8:53pm On Sep 21, 2017
AfricaNigerian:
I'm really having problems in understanding how to design the topic pages but i'm trying my possible best to make the topic pages beautiful but i don't know the cool colours to make use of. any idea please?

First of all confirm whether you're color blind or not...
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by Jenifa123: 8:16am On Sep 22, 2017
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by tatoxiza: 9:09am On Sep 22, 2017
Learn Graphics Design

Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by Nobody: 11:20am On Sep 22, 2017
DanielTheGeek:

First of all confirm whether you're color blind or not...
Hian, that is not fair at all my friend, you are supposed to be encouraging your younger ones!
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by AfricaNigerian: 6:06am On Sep 23, 2017
Jenifa123:
that's rather harsh Daniel
no ma! That didn't sound harsh to me.
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by AfricaNigerian: 6:08am On Sep 23, 2017
dhtml81:

Hian, that is not fair at all my friend, you are supposed to be encouraging your younger ones!
lol sir! He was trying to encourage me that was the reason he typed it *cheers*
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by AfricaNigerian: 6:08am On Sep 23, 2017

1 Like

Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by AfricaNigerian: 6:09am On Sep 23, 2017
tatoxiza:
Learn Graphics Design
nice idea, thanks.
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by AfricaNigerian: 6:14am On Sep 23, 2017
We hereby announce that the winner of yesterday's celebrity week had 59% of the votes which got him entitled to:
* free airtime
* $200chatcredits
* 1wk free ad-placement.

we will be nominating 5users in the coming week.
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by Nobody: 8:11pm On Sep 23, 2017
AfricaNigerian:
nice idea, thank you sir!
Please take me serious and take the test.
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by okwyee(m): 10:22pm On Sep 23, 2017
DanielTheGeek:
Your colors were contrasting each other....or shey na color blocking you do?
like this? grin

1 Like

Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by okwyee(m): 10:31pm On Sep 23, 2017
OP, I really understand that you are starting out, that's why i wont butcher you.
lets get straight to the point, call me Mr. Quack graphic Designer cause that's what i am now grin, the only thing i want to advice you on is your website colors.

These are snapshots from some websites most of us know quite well, AND THEIR MAJOR COLOR PALETTES.

On the facebook part, i intentionally didn't cut out the lady working out, bc i want to show you what i use facebook for if you would like to join the bandwagon wink

What do you notice in common with their color usage??

1 Like

Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by okwyee(m): 10:32pm On Sep 23, 2017
Now lets go to your COLORFUL website cheesy

Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by okwyee(m): 10:33pm On Sep 23, 2017
Now seriously, I want to help you.
You can do yourself a favor and learn to use one or 2 colors and in a more subtle way.
I doubt you have ever read about color theory or graphic design theory because basic knowledge of it should tell you that less is more.
dont use 2 contrasting colors, unless you want it to explode in your face, learn to use color compliments (of course youll understand this more if you read about color theory)

Learn to use white space well and alignment too. notice that those websites i showed you used mostly 1 color and white, thats what you should aim for.
Learn to use color shades a rough example is the image attached to this post, the backgrounds are just shades of the same colors of the pics i attached to where i quote Daniel above with the same text colors, notice how it becomes more readable and easy on the eyes?

Nice try though, keep it up, you'll get better at it. keep practicing.
If you're still finding trouble selecting colors, after reading up on color theory, head to color.adobe.com to choose colors and learn more.
Look at how other websites are designed for inspirations from them, I wont advice you get inspiration from nairaland.com tho undecided

The next project you'll do, if you come up with a color blunder like this one, i will personally treat your fu-c-k up grin
cheers

hope this helps

Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by AfricaNigerian: 12:56am On Sep 24, 2017
DanielTheGeek:
Please take me serious and take the test.
ok sir, i will do that.
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by AfricaNigerian: 1:02am On Sep 24, 2017
okwyee:
Now seriously, I want to help you.
You can do yourself a favor and learn to use one or 2 colors and in a more subtle way.
I doubt you have ever read about color theory or graphic design theory because basic knowledge of it should tell you that less is more.
dont use 2 contrasting colors, unless you want it to explode in your face, learn to use color compliments (of course youll understand this more if you read about color theory)

Learn to use white space well and alignment too. notice that those websites i showed you used mostly 1 color and white, thats what you should aim for.
Learn to use color shades a rough example is the image attached to this post, the backgrounds are just shades of the same colors of the pics i attached to where i quote Daniel above with the same text colors, notice how it becomes more readable and easy on the eyes?

Nice try though, keep it up, you'll get better at it. keep practicing.
If you're still finding trouble selecting colors, after reading up on color theory, head to color.adobe.com to choose colors and learn more.
Look at how other websites are designed for inspirations from them, I wont advice you get inspiration from nairaland.com tho undecided

The next project you'll do, if you come up with a color blunder like this one, i will personally treat your fu-c-k up grin
cheers

hope this helps
thank you very much sir.
Re: After 10days Of Coding With Html, Css And Javascript Forum4africa Is Ready by Nobody: 6:40am On Sep 24, 2017
@okwyee very great job you did up there, I recognize a master when I see one! I throway salute!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Attracted You To Learn how to code? / In What Order Did You Learn Your Languages? / Most Used Mysql Database Functions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.