Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,203 members, 7,835,990 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

Compare And Contrast The Present Super Eagles With The 1994 Squad. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Compare And Contrast The Present Super Eagles With The 1994 Squad. (780 Views)

'A Renewed Super Eagles With One Mandate': NFF Hails Tinubu / Ghana’s Plot To Destabilise Eagles With COVID-19 Uncovered / Sunday Oliseh Reveals The Secret Behind The Success Of The 1994 Super Eagles. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Compare And Contrast The Present Super Eagles With The 1994 Squad. by Ken4Christ: 8:59am On Sep 02, 2017
I have always thought we would never have a squad like the 1994 world cup squad but I am having a rethink.

I can't remember the 1994 squad humiliating any highly rated team by this margin. What is your take?
Re: Compare And Contrast The Present Super Eagles With The 1994 Squad. by sambhav: 9:01am On Sep 02, 2017
thanks for the information blank receipt template free
Re: Compare And Contrast The Present Super Eagles With The 1994 Squad. by madone: 9:02am On Sep 02, 2017
Don't be carried away
Re: Compare And Contrast The Present Super Eagles With The 1994 Squad. by Tolexander: 9:04am On Sep 02, 2017
Ken4Christ:
I have always thought we would never have a squad like the 1994 world cup squad but I am having a rethink.

I can't remember the 1994 squad humiliating any highly rated team by this margin. What is your take?
Nigeria won a match, you are comparing it with a team that conquered Africa and almost conquered the world!
Re: Compare And Contrast The Present Super Eagles With The 1994 Squad. by Ken4Christ: 9:14am On Sep 02, 2017
Tolexander:
Nigeria won a match, you are comparing it with a team that conquered Africa and almost conquered the world!

But this team just demolished the Africa champion and this is the first squad that is almost qualified for world cup before the games remaining. Other qualifications always have to be determined by the last Match. I think there is a basis of comparison.
Re: Compare And Contrast The Present Super Eagles With The 1994 Squad. by Tolexander: 9:17am On Sep 02, 2017
Ken4Christ:

But this team just demolished the Africa champion and this is the first squad that is almost qualified for world cup before the games remaining. Other qualifications always have to be determined by the last Match. I think there is a basis of comparison.
Bro, how old are you?

Do you know anything about the 1994 world cup qualification and the format for the African zone?
Re: Compare And Contrast The Present Super Eagles With The 1994 Squad. by Ken4Christ: 10:04am On Sep 02, 2017
Tolexander:
Bro, how old are you?

Do you know anything about the 1994 world cup qualification and the format for the African zone?

It is just my opinion. Air your opinion without insulting anyone. I just made my point. Even Super Eagles at their best have never beaten highly rated countries by this margin. They have never won three straight world cup qualifying matches in a row. I should be the one asking how old you are. I am giving you facts and you are just there making baseless contribution. Just air your opinion.

I know this team has not won a cup yet but I am highly impressed by their performance so far. The countries in our group are all Africa champion at one point or the other. Yet we demolished them all.

The fact remains it has never happened before. If it has, please state the year and competition.

I am fully aware of the match we lost to Italy who later won that cup. Please, understand the angle I am speaking from.

The 1994 squad still had the best players ever in the history of Nigeria football. But I am talking about results.

Even J J Okocha who most people adore in Nigeria football didn't have much goals to his credit.

Do you know what it means to humble the current and five times Africa champion by that margin. This is a record breaking match.

1 Like

Re: Compare And Contrast The Present Super Eagles With The 1994 Squad. by Tolexander: 10:21am On Sep 02, 2017
Ken4Christ:

It is just my opinion. Air your opinion without insulting anyone. I just made my point. Even Super Eagles at their best have never beaten highly rated countries by this margin. They have never won three straight world cup qualifying matches in a row. I should be the one asking how old you are. I am giving you facts and you are just there making baseless contribution. Just air your opinion.

I know this team has not won a cup yet but I am highly impressed by their performance so far. The countries in our group are all Africa champion at one point or the other. Yet we demolished them all.

The fact remains it has never happened before. If it has, please state the year and competition.

I am fully aware of the match we lost to Italy who later won that cup. Please, understand the angle I am speaking from.

The 1994 squad still had the best players ever in the history of Nigeria football. But I am talking about results.

Even J J Okocha who most people adore in Nigeria football didn't have much goals to his credit.

Do you know what it means to humble the current and five times Africa champion by that margin. This is a record breaking match.
bro, I wasn't insulting you.

How old are u isn't an insult here.

You were talking about what you know about Nigerian football. Perhaps you may not know about the qualification of the national team to the 1994 world cup. Hence, the question "how old are you".

The qualification to the world cup in USA, 1994, was in two rounds.

Nigeria came first in the first round, having 4 other national teams in Nigeria's group. Though Sao Tome and Principe eventually bowed out of the group.

The second round pitched Nigeria with Algeria and Ivory Coast. All lead their groups in the first round of the qualification.

Nigeria defeated Algeria 4- 1 and Ivory Coast 4- 1 in Lagos.
Mind you, Algeria won Nigeria in the 1990 African nations cup final and won the tournament.
Ivory coast was the 1992 African cup of nations defending champion.

1 Like

Re: Compare And Contrast The Present Super Eagles With The 1994 Squad. by Ken4Christ: 10:42pm On Sep 02, 2017
Tolexander:
bro, I wasn't insulting you.

How old are u isn't an insult here.

You were talking about what you know about Nigerian football. Perhaps you may not know about the qualification of the national team to the 1994 world cup. Hence, the question "how old are you".

The qualification to the world cup in USA, 1994, was in two rounds.

Nigeria came first in the first round, having 4 other national teams in Nigeria's group. Though Sao Tome and Principe eventually bowed out of the group.

The second round pitched Nigeria with Algeria and Ivory Coast. All lead their groups in the first round of the qualification.

Nigeria defeated Algeria 4- 1 and Ivory Coast 4- 1 in Lagos.
Mind you, Algeria won Nigeria in the 1990 African nations cup final and won the tournament.
Ivory coast was the 1992 African cup of nations defending champion.

Good analysis. It is still subject to comparison. You should have also reminded that we lost our first match 1-2 to Ivory Coast in the second round.

This is the basis of my comparison. We have never won three straight matches home and away in any world cup qualifying matches.

In addition, the trashing of five times and current African champion 4-0 is worth the comparison.

(1) (Reply)

Cameroon Vs Nigeria: Super Eagles Fight Indomitable Lions - Nigeria Remains Unbe / UEFA Champions League 2017: Wednesday Group Matches Results And Latest Tables / OMG!! Leaks Show Details Of Barcelona’s Contract Offer To Liverpool’s Coutinho

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.