Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,844 members, 7,828,072 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 11:27 PM

Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj (10892 Views)

Yahaya Abdullahi: It Is An Insult To Say Senators Shouldn’t Spend N5.5bn On Cars / Nigerians Drag Senate To Court Over Plans To Spend N5.5bn On Luxury Cars / Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by Nobody: 1:22pm On Sep 02, 2017
Gbenro Adeoyeand

Jesusegun Alagbe

At least N136.5bn has been spent on Hajj in 2017 by state governments and individuals despite the current recession in the country,Saturday PUNCHinvestigation has revealed.

According to the National Hajj Commission of Nigeria, no fewer than 91,000 Nigerians had arrived in Saudi Arabia out of the over 1.7 million foreign pilgrims in the country to perform this year’s Hajj. Meanwhile, the average Hajj fare approved by NAHCON to states for each traveller is N1.5m.

For example, information made available by NAHCON showing the approved 2017 Hajj seats and fares per state disclosed the package for travellers from Nasarawa State as N1,544,659.85; Niger, N1,525,483.30; Ondo, N1,485,096.07; Katsina, N1,498,502.70; Bauchi, N1,523,122.41; Plateau, N1,529,036.80; Sokoto, N1,521,461.65; and Kwara, N1,501,571.27, among others.

Therefore, at an average fare of N1.5m, 91,000 Nigerians would have spent a minimum of N136.5bn on the exercise, with part of it coming from public purse provided by state governments.

Although going on Hajj at least once in a lifetime is one of the five pillars of Islam, the Quran described it as a religious obligation that is meant for the faithful who can afford it. Meanwhile, visiting Jerusalem for pilgrimage is not an obligation for Christians.

However, state governments have been sponsoring people to Mecca and Jerusalem for pilgrimage andSaturday PUNCHhas information that Katsina, Bauchi, Plateau and Sokoto states had sponsored people on pilgrimage this year.

For instance, Governor Aminu Masari of Katsina State recently disclosed that his administration had been subsidising Hajj exercise for Muslims with N1bn annually.
Masari, while inaugurating an 18-member board for the Katsina State Pilgrims’ Welfare Board, had said no amount spent on religious activities could be considered as too much and described pilgrimage to Mecca as “neither a picnic nor a holiday, but an act of worship, as enshrined in the Holy Quran and the Sunnah of Prophet Muhammad.”

Similarly, the Bauchi State Government spent over N262,650,000 as subsidy on the state’s Muslim pilgrims to this year’s Hajj.
Governor Mohammed Abubakar had disclosed this while delivering his farewell address to 3,090 pilgrims, where he boasted that the state could afford the sponsorship despite economic recession.

“Despite the economic hardship situation, this administration has continued to fund the operation of the state Pilgrims Welfare Board, both at home and at the holy land, so as to guarantee your comfort and satisfaction.
“We have also subsidised the cost of your accommodation in Mecca, upon which the government had to pay at least the sum of 850 Saudi Riyals (N85,000) for each of you so that you will be accommodated in a beautiful edifice close to the Haram,” Abubakar had said.

Also this year, the Plateau State Government went back on its 2015 decision to no longer sponsor both Muslims and Christians on pilgrimage due to the dwindling economic fortune of the state.

It was reported that the state government had sponsored 616 Muslims for the 2017 Hajj, with the state governor, Simon Lalong, saying at a farewell ceremony for the pilgrims from the state that the state government was willing to make the “sacrifice as a result of the relevance of holy pilgrimage to the citizens of the state.”

The Sokoto State Government had spent N91m to sponsor 90 Islamic clerics to the lesser Hajj in June.

The state Commissioner for Religious Affairs, Alhaji Mani Katami, had also announced that each of the benefiting clerics was entitled to a Basic Travelling Allowance of N250,000.
State governments’ sponsorship of pilgrimage has been going on for long. Last year, the Executive Secretary, Taraba State Muslim Pilgrims Welfare Board, Alhaji Umar Leme, said the state government had released N288.5m to sponsor about 166 persons on Hajj.

http://punchng.com/despite-recession-states-others-spend-over-n136-5bn-on-hajj/

Lalasticlala
Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by chymes0359(m): 1:23pm On Sep 02, 2017
Do i have to read the long epistle to know that na dem dem OTHER PEOPLE wey dey rule us...
Especiall all this states in the OTHER part of Nigeria wey their IGR are very poor and knows how to spend other PEOPLES labour..
Placing so much value on foreign religion, than human and social development..

17 Likes

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by abouzaid: 1:24pm On Sep 02, 2017
only in the zoo. Nigeria subsidizes forex for pilgrimages but refused to do the same for Nigerians studying abroad.

40 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by Nobody: 1:29pm On Sep 02, 2017
There are many mad people governing Nigeria. That money can empower 130,000 entrepreneurs with a million naira grant which can boost the economy, remove folks from "job seeker" to "self employed" and those SMEs also have the potential of employing at least two people.

Religion doesn't generate 1 naira for Nigeria yet ppl would still carry our small money and give it to Saudi. Religion is personal and everyone should care out his religious obligatons at his/her personal cost.

68 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by SaiNigeria: 1:36pm On Sep 02, 2017
Hope Ogun, Osun, Oyo, Ondo and Ekiti states weren't among them cos it will be an injustice if they are going by the hunger in their respective lands

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by omenkaLives(m): 1:36pm On Sep 02, 2017
These criminals across the states that call themselves governors have found a convenient excuse for failure and underperformance in "recession".

Truth be told, whether or not we were in recession, I have this gut feeling they wouldn't have fared different- those who wanna make a difference are doing so regardless and the perpetual failures, like my state governor is making a good show of who he really is as a leader.

This is so heartbreaking.

7 Likes

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by MrIrohKenedy: 1:39pm On Sep 02, 2017
[s]
omenkaLives:
These criminals across the states that call themselves governors have found a convenient excuse for failure and underperformance in "recession".

[/s]
Stop making sense
we know you for talking Nonsense
stop pretending to make sense Omenkalives

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by Nobody: 1:39pm On Sep 02, 2017
SaiNigeria:
Hope Ogun, Osun and Oyo states weren't among them
Imagine Ondo paying 1.5 billion on Hajj. I'm sure the state is still owing salaries o.

* I just saw the pictures you posted along your comment. I think is shameful what social platforms like nairaland and lindaikeji is doing to our society. I hope NCC does something about this. But I can assure you one thing now and you can take it to the bank in 50 yrs to come. You will NEVER be happy in life if you continue to harbour hate on humans like yourself created by God.

You can't sow bitterness and reap happiness, you can't sow discord and reap peace. Life is a seed don't think because you can form fastest finger on the internet would exempt God's wrath from you for mocking poor people and casting aspersions on them.

Mind you this admonition is for both senseless groups of ppl who shout afonja and Igbo up and about.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by MrIrohKenedy: 1:40pm On Sep 02, 2017
Buhari is a terrorist
Buhari will never go unpunished

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by chymes0359(m): 1:43pm On Sep 02, 2017
MrIrohKenedy:
[s][/s] Stop making sense we know you for talking Nonsense stop pretending to make sense
I be no wan laugh untill i checked the moniker you quoted.. You are on point bro..

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by MrIrohKenedy: 1:44pm On Sep 02, 2017
chymes0359:

I be no wan laugh untill i checked the moniker you quoted..
You are on point bro..
we know him for shameless behaviour
he should spare us the decent talk
e no fit am

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by omenkaLives(m): 1:45pm On Sep 02, 2017
SaiNigeria:
Hope Ogun, Osun and Oyo states weren't among them
You people always seem to be the first to take shots. When they come pounding your head now, you'd tuck your tail between your legs crying "everybody hates us for no reason".

Smh.

11 Likes

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by Redoil: 1:46pm On Sep 02, 2017
Omenkalives do you notice that 99.5% of the state mention are apc the so called progressive and the prosperous party that lied to nigerians in their cv?
If you agree with me that apc and their online minions are the solution to nigerian problem click like
If not click share

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by MrIrohKenedy: 1:46pm On Sep 02, 2017
[s]
omenkaLives:
You people always seem to be the first to take shots. When they come pounding your head now, you'd tuck your tail between your legs crying "everybody hates us for no reason".

Smh.
[/s]
shatap your can of worms there and get out
stop talking trash

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by chymes0359(m): 1:50pm On Sep 02, 2017
MrIrohKenedy:
we know him for shameless behaviour
he should spare us the decent talk
e no fit am

haa! You wey know..
Any post from that guy always makes me to puke..
Was suprised when he make such comment, wey no fit am or he is pretending to suit him..

13 Likes

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by SaiNigeria: 1:50pm On Sep 02, 2017
MrIrohKenedy:
[s][/s]
shatap your can of worms there and get out
stop talking trash

You really have time for that shameless old troll.

At his age no career, no home, no kids, no wife, no ambition. Only trolling and constituting nuisance online.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by SHTFguy: 1:51pm On Sep 02, 2017
omenkaLives:

Truth be told, whether or not we were in recession, I have this gut feeling they wouldn't have fared different- those who wanna make a difference are doing so regardless and the perpetual failures, like my state governor is making a good show of who he really is as a leader.

Are you still claiming Benue or have you ported back to your original afonja state -Kwara

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by MrIrohKenedy: 1:52pm On Sep 02, 2017
SaiNigeria:

You really have time for that shameless old troll.

At his age no career, no home, no kids, no wife, no ambition. Only trolling and constituting nuisance online.
savagery
Omenkalives you see ya laifu

old man wey disgrace himself in front of children
he'll be soiled with muds

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by oduastates: 2:01pm On Sep 02, 2017
Black man's problem?
No sense
If they had instead paid a visit to a state or 4 cities in Nigeria ( say Ife,Aba,Kebbi,Sapele) and spent the same amount of money into the local economy, more people will have jobs.
If that amount is spent annually in one state's economy , you would have another Lagos or something close to lagos or ogun

6 Likes

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by markfemisgay: 2:27pm On Sep 02, 2017
Statsocial:

Imagine Ondo paying 1.5 billion on Hajj. I'm sure the state is still owing salaries o.

* I just saw the pictures you posted along your comment. I think is shameful what social platforms like nairaland and lindaikeji is doing to our society. I hope NCC does something about this. But I can assure you one thing now and you can take it to the bank in 50 yrs to come. You will NEVER be happy in life if you continue to harbour hate on humans like yourself created by God.

You can't sow bitterness and reap happiness, you can't sow discord and reap peace. Life is a seed don't think because you can form fastest finger on the internet would exempt God's wrath from you for mocking poor people and casting aspersions on them.

Mind you this admonition is for both senseless groups of ppl who shout afonja and Igbo up and about.
Why are you pained.

5 Likes

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by Nbote(m): 2:29pm On Sep 02, 2017
Redoil:
Omenkalives do you notice that 99.5% of the state mention are apc the so called progressive and the prosperous party that lied to nigerians in their cv?
If you agree with me that apc and their online minions are the solution to nigerian problem click like
If not click share

We will not like or share.. We already know

1 Like

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by Nukualofa: 2:37pm On Sep 02, 2017
omenkaLives:

You ended up saying nothing. Can't you condem the state sponsorship of pilgrimage or you are scared of hurting your benefactors

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by JONNYSPUTE(m): 2:58pm On Sep 02, 2017
Are we truly fighting corruption or is it corruption that is fighting us?. They could not pay salaries,but could spent so much money on Hajj.May God punish all of una.

5 Likes

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by SaiNigeria: 3:01pm On Sep 02, 2017
lalasticlala mynd44 come and see your shameless APC government in action

3 Likes

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by Pinkblue(m): 4:29pm On Sep 02, 2017
using Niger delta money to sponsor Islamic idiots who would end up killing u

8 Likes

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by Nnemuka(f): 4:30pm On Sep 02, 2017
Although going on Hajj at least once in a lifetime is one of the five pillars of Islam, the Quran described it as a religious obligation that is meant for the faithful who can afford it. Meanwhile, visiting Jerusalem for pilgrimage is not an obligation for Christians.[quote]

After going there you will still return hungry, kai how did i end up a Nigerian?

[quote]Nigerians are so religious and traditionally inclined yet so wicked,mean and inhumane

Only if we can practice with all sincerity 1/4 of all our religious practices, Nigeria will have been heaven on earth

Tomorrow now you will see Christians on gele and Muslims on hijab rushing to church as if they practice what they hear every Sunday

What has religion achieved for us? i weep for my country

3 Likes

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by Nobody: 4:30pm On Sep 02, 2017
It's time the Government put at a stop the sponsoring of pilgirms...Think of the things such amount of money would have made possible if used wisely.

Religion played a role in destroying this country...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by marooh: 4:31pm On Sep 02, 2017
Your recession! My profit!

Ala adighi Nma bu uru ndi Nze.
(as land no good it favour other some people)
Re: Despite Recession, States, Others Spend Over N136.5bn On Hajj by Foodforthought: 4:31pm On Sep 02, 2017

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Okunbo To Obaseki: Your Accusation Reeks Of Incompetence / Buhari: Nigeria to provide electricity to 5 million households by 2030 / Supreme Court Upholds Aregbesola’s Victory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.