Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,522 members, 7,958,585 topics. Date: Wednesday, 25 September 2024 at 06:07 PM

Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed (46211 Views)

Seven English Words You Will Be Shocked To Know You’ve Been Using Wrongly / English Words You Have Been Using Wrongly As A Nigerian!!! / 35 Words You Are Pronouncing Wrongly! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by Livefreeordieha(m): 9:15pm On Sep 02, 2017
VargasVee:
SATE:
I have always wondered, since we quench our thirst, what do we use for hunger? SATE is the perfect word for you. It refers to the act of satisfying one's apetite.

AGELAST:
We all have that friend that never laughs. They're called agelasts.

SCHADENFREUDE:
Growing up, I always thought a Sadist is one who takes pleasure from another person's failure, till I came across SCHADENFREUDE. This is actually someone who derives joy from another person's misfortune.

TACENDA:
These are things that are kept private and not to be made public, like family secrets that are better left unsaid.

PHILTRUM
This is a vertical groove in the middle area of the upper lip

HANDEDNESS:
This Is a genetic factor as some people tend to use either their left hand/right hand more naturally. This is known as handedness.

NIBLING:
Just like cousin, nibling is a gender-neutral name for either your Niece or Nephew.

UNKINDESS OF RAVENS/ MURDER OF CROWS :
As strange as the above sounds, it actually refers to a group of the mentioned. RAVENS/OWLS.

LABROSE:
As Africans, one of our characteristics is being gifted with thick lips.

Lalasticlala, have you seen them? grin grin

ѕcнadenғreυde ιтѕ acтυally a gerмan word...ѕcнanden мeanѕ daмaged...accιdenтed...
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by Habyz(m): 9:20pm On Sep 02, 2017
My GNS lecturer go suffer for my hand. I go use English destroy im career
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by mayowa558: 9:22pm On Sep 02, 2017
adesammy1:
Nice one....abeg how do I use Sate in a sentence?

I am sated
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by Nobody: 9:26pm On Sep 02, 2017
If you didn't know about the existence of the word "SATE" (before now that is) then you need to spend some more time with your dic-tion-ary and read more literary mags. Op,nice one sire.
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by cosmos1440: 9:28pm On Sep 02, 2017
very nice one
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by KemjikaEme: 9:28pm On Sep 02, 2017
These words exist,however some of them are non standard English words.
Some of them intially started off as slangs or expressions in non formal environment.
A quick peruse in Nairaland thread might point fingers at certain words which may be upgraded as standard Nigerian expressions in the near future.
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by gr8tone: 9:29pm On Sep 02, 2017
See how this guy just celebrated his ignorance. Because he stumbled on them never knowing they ever existed thought it's same with everybody.
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by Nobody: 9:34pm On Sep 02, 2017
@KemjikaEme Exactly. Spot on.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by Col007: 9:42pm On Sep 02, 2017
Nice one.. Knowledge imparted
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by talentedjoe(m): 9:44pm On Sep 02, 2017
naijalions:
There are more you don't kw and I will nt tell u!

Nonso? �
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by CaptainFM1: 9:47pm On Sep 02, 2017
I know most of these words...especially "schadenfreude". My fear is I might start running mad like Patrick Obaiagbon if I start using them.
Like someone posted..., try using some of those words in sentence and see if 0.5% of Nigerians understand.
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by Tedassie(m): 9:53pm On Sep 02, 2017
VargasVee:
SATE:
I have always wondered, since we quench our thirst, what do we use for hunger? SATE is the perfect word for you. It refers to the act of satisfying one's apetite.

AGELAST:

SCHADENFREUDE:
Growing up, I always thought a Sadist is one who takes pleasure from another person's failure, till I came across SCHADENFREUDE. This is actually someone who derives joy from another person's misfortune.

TACENDA:
These are things that are kept private and not to be made public, like family secrets that are better left unsaid.

PHILTRUM

HANDEDNESS:
This Is a genetic factor as some people tend to use either their left hand/right hand more naturally. This is known as handedness.

NIBLING:
Just like cousin, nibling is a gender-neutral name for either your Niece or Nephew.

As strange as the above sounds, it actually refers to a group of the mentioned. RAVENS/OWLS.

LABROSE:

I knew of Handedness and Unkindness of ravens as well as Murder of crows
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by CaptainFM1: 9:54pm On Sep 02, 2017
KemjikaEme:
These words exist,however some of them are non standard English words.
Some of them intially started off as slangs or expressions in non formal environment.
A quick peruse in Nairaland thread might point fingers at certain words which may be upgraded as standard Nigerian expressions in the near future.

You are very correct. Many don't know that words originate. A good example is "Google". It started as a company, now found itself in the English dictionary as a Verb.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by hadayleke(m): 9:55pm On Sep 02, 2017
Not a single word here that I haven't come across before... OP dig harder and educate me.
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by Nobody: 10:02pm On Sep 02, 2017
oga come and make sentence with them oh
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by MrPeekay: 10:04pm On Sep 02, 2017
Ah I need to expand my English base o. Thanks op for this pointers
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by baracutie(f): 10:06pm On Sep 02, 2017
shugaplum:
Wat/who is a sadist??
Someone Who Afflicts Pains To Others By Getting Sexual Pleasure.E.G(hitting Ladies Whenever One Is Having Sex With Dem)
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by chumasmog(m): 10:16pm On Sep 02, 2017
Most of this words are not in the English dictionary..
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by EdoBoy90(m): 10:16pm On Sep 02, 2017
Nice
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by starness(m): 10:23pm On Sep 02, 2017
Ok
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by nkemdi89(f): 10:24pm On Sep 02, 2017
Sapiosexual .
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by Dexema(m): 10:35pm On Sep 02, 2017
adesammy1:

Sate your hunger.....with gala cool
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by EzeeYFB(m): 10:35pm On Sep 02, 2017
naijalions:
There are more you don't kw and I will nt tell u!
wetin dey worry Dis one
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by bigmo1(m): 10:53pm On Sep 02, 2017
adesammy1:
I used fufu to sate my hunger.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by DabuIIIT: 10:53pm On Sep 02, 2017
Nice awareness,op
adesammy1:

you and omenkka are a sating and schadenfreudeic bomboclats grin

na joke o grin
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by Prestige16(m): 11:02pm On Sep 02, 2017
The more we learn, the lesser we know.
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by beautydutch(f): 11:22pm On Sep 02, 2017
VargasVee:
SATE:

AGELAST:

SCHADENFREUDE:

TACENDA:

PHILTRUM

HANDEDNESS:

NIBLING:

LABROSE:

thanks op

1 Like

Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by BENEAMATA: 11:26pm On Sep 02, 2017
Number 3 SCHADENFREUDE is actually the act of deriving joy at someone's misfortune (especially when said individual has had it coming), not a person.
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by BiiDii(m): 11:58pm On Sep 02, 2017
I concur but this SCHADENFREUDE sounds German and TACENDA sounds spanish.

1 Like

Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by whiteeyes: 12:38am On Sep 03, 2017
adesammy1:
tongue
adesammy1:
iyam SATE SATE today!

Seriously, thanks Op for the informate, I didn't have a clue on these words. kudos
Re: Amazing Words You Didn't Know Existed by ayodeleamg(m): 2:11am On Sep 03, 2017
?!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lautech Postutme/admission Thread For 2015/2016 / 10 Dogs Owned By Anambra School Proprietor Feast On 2yrs Old Prospective Pupil / Kidnapped Medical Student Posts From Kidnappers' Den

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.