Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,068 members, 7,835,604 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:23 PM

What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? (57972 Views)

Difference Between BSc And BSc(Hons) / What Does Bsc. (hons) Means? / What's The Difference Between Bsc (Hons) And Ordinary Bsc? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Ezi39: 9:25am On Sep 04, 2017
I finished with second class lower in my department and it was given to me with 'hons.' So I reason that it is for those that are at the forefront of their department or the entire level.
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Zionprincess(f): 9:27am On Sep 04, 2017
Jethrolite:
Part time students do not get (hons) too. Any course work done outside being a regular student does not attract it.
big lie my dear

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Ezi39: 9:27am On Sep 04, 2017
I finished with second class lower in my department. I was given 'hons' because I finished ahead of others. So I reason that it is for those that are at the forefront of their department or the entire level.
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Ezi39: 9:29am On Sep 04, 2017
Zionprincess:
big lie my dear
You are not right because I know those that did PT and were given 'hons.'
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Ezi39: 9:30am On Sep 04, 2017
[quote author=Ezi39 post=60114562] Yes he is wrong

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by teflonjake(m): 9:35am On Sep 04, 2017
A student will have to write a dissertation for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree. On the other hand, this is not mandatory for a Bsc degree.
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Malawian(m): 9:35am On Sep 04, 2017
"Hons" are for those who finished immediately or not more than 4 semesters (2 Academic sessions) afterwards.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by teflonjake(m): 9:36am On Sep 04, 2017
A student will have to write a dissertation for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree. On the other hand, this is not mandatory for a Bsc degree.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 9:38am On Sep 04, 2017
Balkan:
Any degree from 2nd class to 1st class is regarded as hons.
3 Class to pass is just Bsc without hons.

Tha'ts is simple

You know you're talking about what you don't know. Right?
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Zionprincess(f): 9:42am On Sep 04, 2017
Ezi39:

You are not right because I know those that did PT and were given 'hons.'

hahahaha
you are contradicting yourself
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by triggaSG(m): 10:02am On Sep 04, 2017
Hons is added for every moral upright student i.e you didnt get into trouble whilst in school.....
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by patreeq50(m): 10:04am On Sep 04, 2017
1. One cannot find much difference between a Bachelors of Science degree and Bachelors of Science (Hons) degree.
2. Three years are needed to complete a Bsc degree, and four years for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree.
3. The Bachelor of Science (Hons) degree is considered to be superior to the Bachelor of Science degree.
4. The Bsc (Hons) is considered to be, academically, more standard than the ordinary Bsc degree.
5. A student will have to write a dissertation for the completion of a Bsc (Hons) degree. On the other hand, this is not mandatory for a Bsc degree.
6. A Bsc degree is easier to obtain than a Bsc (Hons) degree.
Search DifferenceBetween.net :
Custom Search
Help us improve. Rate this post!
(40 votes, average:
3.60 out of 5)
Email This Post : If you like this article or our site. Please spread the word. Share it with your friends/family.
Cite
Prabhat S. "Difference Between Bsc and Bsc Hons." DifferenceBetween.net. July 28, 2011 < http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-bsc-and-bsc-hons/ >.
18 Comments
now i am doing b.tech in ece (second semester) from ptu. i also want to do b.sc in physics , so can do it part time while doing b.tech from other university. please tell me about colleges in punjab (near hoshiarpur, jalandhar) on this matter .
its not correct.there are bsc hons that dont require thesis
it means what u want to say there is less scope in bsc prog can a student who is from bsc prog can’t crack enterance 4 msc in maths or physics
Sir,
This is Raja babu . Sir i completed
Bsc(computers) degree in three years .
Now i want apply for CSIR . So
, please tell me i am eligible
for that entrance test or not?
thanking you sir
yours faithfully
B.Raja babu
A dissertation is a long research based essay on a particular subject. For University students this is usually completed in their last year of University. A dissertation -which differs from a thesis- is usually 60 – 100 pages at a set font and type spacing (e.g. ariel, 12pt, single spacing), although the final product tends to be longer than 100 pages.
Note that this can change from course to course and from university to university
Sir what does it mean that we have to dissertation for the completion of Bsc.hons. degree ?
Actually, for the Bsc (Hons) you will be required to produce a project or some form of a personal work, not necessarily a dissertation!
I Samir sahu,studied in Bsc.(Pass) in KSUB college ,odisha.
So can I apply any job with other student…
Please tell me about…
Not so correct….after spending 4 yrs after B.Sc(Hons.) even if you still don’t get job or are unemployed,then what’s the use of that bullshit Honours..?
Don’t underestimate the power of a B.Sc.
I want to know that I should do bsc hons in which subject?
so that I have a much wider scope for jobs and futher admissions.
I am a medical student.
i have also the same question in my mind so please tell me if you know something about this
In my view u should go according to ur interest in particular sub and chem have more scop than bio field so u can go for chem
thanx for this ……..
I m a +2nm stu in which subjectvivcan do bsc hons plz reply
sir iam dng bi.p.c….i wish to study anthrapology in hyd…r dey any college in hyd whch provides diz course??if not how is sociology and biotechnology??which iz the best course in hyd whch has more job offer?and more income?thnk u
Hello sir/mam,
I am mohit this year I am pas out from 12 board
I wish to take admission in Bsc
But I am confused which is better for me Bsc and BSc hons
Can any one tell the gun shot difference of B.sc ,B.sc(hons)
Sir,
i will hope to study bsc.software engineering degree in goverment univesity ,and after bsc degree can i do bsc(hons) degree ? how i develop degree bsc degree to bsc(hons) degree?
Leave a Response
Name ( required )
Email ( required )
Website
Please note: comment moderation is enabled and may delay your comment. There is no need to resubmit your comment.
Submit Comment
Notify me of followup comments via e-mail
Written by : Prabhat S. and updated on July 28, 2011
Articles on DifferenceBetween.net are general information, and are not intended to substitute for professional advice. The information is "AS IS", "WITH ALL FAULTS". User assumes all risk of use, damage, or injury. You agree that we have no liability for any damages.
See more about : degree,
education , Science More in 'Career & Education'
The Difference Between IGCSE and IB
The Difference between LPCs and LCSWs
The Difference between Regional and National Accreditation
Difference between Journalist and Reporter
More in 'Miscellaneous'
Difference between Trump Ban and Obama Ban
Difference between War and Terrorism
Difference between YouTube And YouTube Red
Difference Between Religion and Superstition
Follow Us
Get New Comparisons in your inbox:
Subscribe
Most Emailed Comparisons
Difference Between Vitamin D and Vitamin D3 - 118 emails
Difference Between Goals and Objectives - 102 emails
Difference Between LCD and LED Televisions - 89 emails
Difference Between Islam and Muslim - 87 emails
Difference Between Objective and Subjective - 66 emails
Difference Between Oxycontin and Oxycodone - 65 emails
Difference Between Love and In Love - 50 emails
Difference Between Ethnicity and
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Dcholeric: 10:22am On Sep 04, 2017
KingsJohnson:

Lol! omo see painment of lyf. Dude next tym if u dnt knw or hv knowledge of an issue at hand, it will be beta for u to kip silent n be thought a fool Dan open up n clear all doubt.

Common sense is not common brodaly
lol
I Don dey suspect say you be absolute olodo.
and you no disappoint....you see me post anything on the topic?
go back and check the monikers you quoted.
the thing is, i was expecting the person that was condemning the response of others to give a perfect answer... but I guess your skull is empty.

idiot condemning others but doesn't have a single atom in his skull.......
certified mumu.
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by KingsJohnson(m): 10:55am On Sep 04, 2017
Dcholeric:

lol
I Don dey suspect say you be absolute olodo.
and you no disappoint....you see me post anything on the topic?
go back and check the monikers you quoted.
the thing is, i was expecting the person that was condemning the response of others to give a perfect answer... but I guess your skull is empty.

idiot condemning others but doesn't have a single atom in his skull.......
certified mumu.

Always fast to resort to insult, dude i dnt have tym to waste on people lyk u
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by tete7000(m): 11:00am On Sep 04, 2017
KunkAcid:
grin shocked grin

The B.Sc (Hons) degree is awarded when a course of study is completed within the maximum number of years allowed to study such a course in that particular university. Whereas, a student gets a B.Sc degree without honours when he completes his course of study outside the stipulated duration.

For instance, the minimum number of years required to study Engineering in any Nigerian University is 5yrs, and the maximum number of years is between 7-8yrs.

If a student completes his study within 5-8yrs, he gets B.Sc (Hons). But, if he does so after 8yrs, he gets B.Sc without the honours.

NB: This is how it is in Nigeria.

Gram! Very correct. My only question has only always been whether it is possible to finish outside stipulated time with a 2.1 or 2.2 at all. I see most of those finishing outside stipulated time doing so with ordinary pass.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by docjeph(m): 11:36am On Sep 04, 2017
EkoAcademy:

A honours degree is different from an ordinary degree in the sense that the course load (credit) is heavier than that of a regular degree. Although nowadays the term has lost its relevance.
How heavy? in kilograms pls. I mean the weight.
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Jethrolite(m): 11:40am On Sep 04, 2017
Zionprincess:

big lie my dear
This is how Delsu operates.
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by BabaIbo: 12:17pm On Sep 04, 2017
Amossity:
when a student didnt spill over, hon will b added to his/her bsc bt if he/she spill over due to some carry ova courses, then no more honor, onli bsc..

Best explanation so far

1 Like

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by jaywhoco(m): 12:18pm On Sep 04, 2017
MaziOmenuko:
Go thru this thread below:

https://www.nairaland.com/2373431/difference-between-bsc-bsc-hons

Meanwhile, there's no clear cut deference, it's a borrowed tag that is not applicable in Nigeria universities. In most universities abroad, you can do a bachelors program without a dissetification or project. So you just do your coursework without doing a project and u are awarded a bachelor's degree. But if you complete a project work, you are awarded a degree with Hons. But in Nigeria universities, there's no option of doing a bsc without a project work. So the hons Nigeria universities borrowed is not really applicable here so different universities give it their own meaning.
dissertation pls
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by BabaIbo: 12:20pm On Sep 04, 2017
EkoAcademy:

A honours degree is different from an ordinary degree in the sense that the course load (credit) is heavier than that of a regular degree. Although nowadays the term has lost its relevance.

You are wrong please... Dont mislead them..

Hons is attached to your degree if you didnt have spill over but once you spill, you dont get hons
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by BabaIbo: 12:26pm On Sep 04, 2017
RexEmmyGee:

what he is trying to say is that you get Hons if u dont spill, but when u have spillover you dont get hons...which is very correct...

But here in Nigeria people always find a means to get that hons after spill because of corruption
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by BabaIbo: 12:29pm On Sep 04, 2017
mykel25:
First class upper division give you (HONS) hons means honour

FIRST CLASS HONOUR
SECOND CLASS HONOUR (upper division)
SECOND CLASS HONOUR (lower division)
THIRD CLASS
PASS
FAIL

crap

second class upper also gets hons
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by BabaIbo: 12:36pm On Sep 04, 2017
Malawian:
Not correct bro, I got Hons but also had an extra year.
which school you graduate from?
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by RexEmmyGee: 12:47pm On Sep 04, 2017
BabaIbo:

what he is trying to say is that you get Hons if u dont spill, but when u have spillover you dont get hons...which is very correct...

But here in Nigeria people always find a means to get that hons after spill because of corruption
Thanks for the enlightenment.

But do you think it is considered by employers?
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by MightyVicky(m): 1:06pm On Sep 04, 2017
LastMumu:

You can only add the 'Hons' to your degree if you were a honorable in your school and the election that got you into that position wasn't rigged. Anything anyone else is writing aside what I just wrote is complete rubbish! angry

nice one. Your head is there, your moniker says it all
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by mykel25(m): 2:22pm On Sep 04, 2017
BabaIbo:

crap

second class upper also gets hons

Don't be quick to type rubbish......even if your brain is crappy DON'T
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by bfire(m): 2:38pm On Sep 04, 2017
The difference is like this in Canada, atleast:

B.sc is 90 credits work load

B.sc (hons) is a 120 credits work load.

The years you used in completing the course load
has no relevance other than the number os credits
you completed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by donqx: 2:40pm On Sep 04, 2017
hmmmm
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Pweetyjuddy(f): 2:44pm On Sep 04, 2017
grin grin grin
Olamybabs:
lwkmd
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Sep 04, 2017
uniquerotex:

Exactly.. No need for further argument also students are awarded without honour when they finished with a pass which does not fall into any class of degree. You got it perfectly well.

your contribution is indisputable sir!
No one is awarded a B.Sc (Hons) with a pass.

There is no honour in that sir!
Re: What Is The Difference Between B.sc Degree And B.sc (Hons) Degree? by AlwaysUltraPad: 3:44pm On Sep 04, 2017
"Bachelor of science with second class honours" is what is written here. How about that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

See Why Male Students Don't Pay Attention In School (photo) / NDA Kaduna Expels Cadets For Indiscipline / 10 Most Annoying Nigerian Media English Expressions.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.