Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,100 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:10 AM

Treasury Bill Investment: Could It Be That My Bank Cheated Me? Pix - Investment - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Treasury Bill Investment: Could It Be That My Bank Cheated Me? Pix (745 Views)

Leave My N10m In My Savings Account Or Invest It In Treasury Bill? / Treasury Bill Investment Simplified As Mobile App Launches In Lagos / Why Invest In Treasury Bills When Theres Stanbic's Mutual Funds? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Treasury Bill Investment: Could It Be That My Bank Cheated Me? Pix by riversproperty(m): 10:08am On Sep 03, 2017
Hello investment experts in the house! Please I really need your inputs on this.

I was with few of my friends yesterday and we got talking about investments and putting idle funds into proper use. in the course of our discussion, treasury bills investment came up and I gladly shared my recent experience about how I invested #1.5million in treasury bill through GTBank about two months ago (late June to be precise) for a period of 182 days (I.e 6months) and got about #126,000 as interest .

I have always put my idle funds in fixed deposit with Ecobank despite their low interest rate until a friend of mine talked me into giving treasury bill a shot so that was actually my first time of investing in treasury bill.

My main worry now is that, the interest ( Return on Investment ) I got wasn't commensurate with the stated percentage interest rate by the CBN as at the time I invested as depicted in the attached picture. Or is there a special way of calculating it ? Please I need the experts in the house to help me throw more light on this.

Thanks

Re: Treasury Bill Investment: Could It Be That My Bank Cheated Me? Pix by eezeribe(m): 10:14am On Sep 03, 2017
It could be that your bank bought from the secondary market at slightly lower interest rate...
It could be that your bank deducted commission charges from your interest (as they usually do)

The calculation is as follows (based on your late June bid)

17.5/100×1500000/12*6=131,250... Maybe their deductions made the final figure to be at 126,000.

So you can go ask the bank what is their percentage charge for commission..
Because previously,interests earned from Treasury bills were not subject to withholding tax but I don't know if the 'change' orchestrated by this Administration has affected that policy.

lalasticlala,Mynd44

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Treasury Bill Investment: Could It Be That My Bank Cheated Me? Pix by Nutase: 10:25am On Sep 03, 2017
Its very simple
The formula is amount * days/365 * rate/100
Note that the rate changes at every auction and there are some charges involved.

In my honest opinion the amount you got is within the range of what you should be expecting.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bill Investment: Could It Be That My Bank Cheated Me? Pix by riversproperty(m): 10:36am On Sep 03, 2017
eezeribe:
It could be that your bank bought from the secondary market at slightly lower interest rate...
It could be that your bank deducted commission charges from your interest (as they usually do)

The calculation is as follows (based on your late June bid)

17.5/100×1500000/12*6=131,250... Maybe their deductions made the final figure to be at 126,000.

So you can go ask the bank what is their percentage charge for commission..
Because previously,interests earned from Treasury bills were not subject to withholding tax but I don't know if the 'change' orchestrated by this Administration has affected that policy.

Thanks
Re: Treasury Bill Investment: Could It Be That My Bank Cheated Me? Pix by riversproperty(m): 10:37am On Sep 03, 2017
Nutase:
Its very simple
The formula is amount * days/365 * rate/100
Note that the rate changes at every auction and there are some charges involved.

In my honest opinion the amount you got is within the range of what you should be expecting.

Ok..thanks sir
Re: Treasury Bill Investment: Could It Be That My Bank Cheated Me? Pix by eezeribe(m): 1:43pm On Sep 03, 2017
riversproperty:

Thanks
Anyday... Anytime. Happy Sunday.

1 Like

Re: Treasury Bill Investment: Could It Be That My Bank Cheated Me? Pix by riversproperty(m): 11:20pm On Sep 03, 2017
eezeribe:

Anyday... Anytime.
Happy Sunday.

Thanks boss and do have a wonderful week.

(1) (Reply)

The Biggest Crypto Currency In The World Out 31st October, 2017. Get $5 Free! / I'm Within 6 Month / Salary Will Never Be Enough. Come In Here And Get Financial Freedom

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.