Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,852 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:20 AM

Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! (20633 Views)

I'm Having Eco And First Bank Aptitude Test The Same Day / Anebi’s Spectacular Transformation Amidst Daunting Challenges At FFS / 3 Key Uses Of Microsoft Excel At Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 11:40pm On Sep 03, 2017
My team mates of five have these in common: Language and Religion. This is affecting my performance on the job as they often communicate in their local dialect, leaving me out. Sometimes, I am marginzlised in the process.
Also, my HOD (though of my religion) singles me out for errands such as buying him food even when I am seriouly busy.
What do I do as I always feel depressed over these each day I go to work? I am really worried. Please I need professional counsel.
Also, I think I might need a counselor/mentor. I feel I need someone to help me package myself and develop a professional deamenor.
Somebody HELP ME!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 11:47pm On Sep 03, 2017
Don't bother with your colleagues - they represent "butter".
Your HOD is the "gun".
Target him/her.
Poison.
There will be a change of heads then u cozy up 2 d next boss ASAP.
If this repeats itself still, poison yourself.
The fault is yours.

18 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by FitnessDoctor: 11:50pm On Sep 03, 2017
risingrainboll:
My team mates of five have these in common: Language and Religion. This is affecting my performance on the job as they often communicate in their local dialect, leaving me out. Sometimes, I am marginalised in the process.
Also, my HOD (though of my religion) singles me out for errands such as buying him food even when I am seriously busy.
What do I do as I always feel depressed over these each day I go to work? I am really worried. Please, I need professional counsel.
Also, I think I might need a counselor/mentor. I feel I need someone to help me package myself and develop a professional demeanour.
Somebody HELP ME!

Have you ever heard of Office Politics...

Well, I believe you should look more into the matter to confirm your conclusions, but if you conclusions are correct, then you can do this about it.

1. Double Your Efforts

Because of your religion (as you said), your HOD thinks less of you, it might be difficult for a man to accept another who shares a different belief, but I believe that if you work harder and impress your HOD, better than your teammates or you should exceptional skills, then your HOD will think highly of you..

2. Learn to Speak that language

I am on my quest to learn Yoruba because it is the only other major language I don't know. So, I think you can do this do, try and learn their language because no matter how hard you try to impress your HOD, these people might keep getting in the way and might go as far as tarnishing your image. It is the human nature.

3. Pray

Prayer is truly the key. Pray that you find favour in the eyes of men just as you have found favour in the eyes of your God.

I believe this will help you stay one step ahead of your teammates....

In Other News
Here is Why Cristiano Ronaldo Does Not Have Tattoos
http://www.realfitbody.com/2017/09/cristiano-ronaldo-tattoos.html

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by greatnaija01: 11:51pm On Sep 03, 2017
Simple Steps

Dont quit the JOb
Practice your new self image in front of a standing mirror
read books that boost self confidence
Talk with your boss/HOD
Take on tasks yourself and solve them well
Speak up for yourself
IF ALL THESE DOES NOT WORK THEN APPLY FOR A NEW JOB ELSEWHERE.... But it will.

risingrainboll:
My team mates of five have these in common: Language and Religion. This is affecting my performance on the job as they often communicate in their local dialect, leaving me out. Sometimes, I am marginzlised in the process.
Also, my HOD (though of my religion) singles me out for errands such as buying him food even when I am seriouly busy.
What do I do as I always feel depressed over these each day I go to work? I am really worried. Please I need professional counsel.
Also, I think I might need a counselor/mentor. I feel I need someone to help me package myself and develop a professional deamenor.
Somebody HELP ME!

4 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by FitnessDoctor: 11:52pm On Sep 03, 2017
ShyCypher:

Your HOD is the "gun". Target him/her. Poison. There will be a change of heads then u cozy up 2 d next boss ASAP.
If this repeats itself still, poison yourself. The fault is yours.

Interesting, I hope no one will give you this kind of advice in the future, especially when you are in dire need of good counsel.

In Other News
Here is How Long WHO Says Nigerians Are Expected To Live
http://www.realfitbody.com/2017/09/WHO-release-nigeria-life-expectancy.html

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 12:09am On Sep 04, 2017
FitnessDoctor:

Well, I believe you should look more into the matter to confirm your conclusions, but if you conclusions are correct, then you can do this about it.

1. Double Your Efforts

Because of your religion (as you said), your HOD thinks less of you, it might be difficult for a man to accept another who shares a different belief, but I believe that if you work harder and impress your HOD, better than your teammates or you should exceptional skills, then your HOD will think highly of you..

I am on my quest to learn Yoruba because it is the only other major language I don't know. So, I think you can do this do, try and learn their language because no matter how hard you try to impress your HOD, these people might keep getting in the way and might go as far as tarnishing your image. It is the human nature.

3. Pray

Prayer is truly the key. Pray that you find favour in the eyes of men just as you have found favour in the eyes of your God.

So are you a Christian or Muslim?
My HOD shares the same religion with me but different language with that of my team mates.
Sorry, I want to keep my religion and other details discreet.
Honestly, I was doing fine in my former department. I never had to deal with team mates of similar background. It's sickening. Besides, my HOD's management style just depressesses me. I think the ride he gives to me is a contributing factor.
Moreso, I tried to learn the language by being friendly with my team mates and showing interest in it untill my intension was missunderstood and taken for granted. Had to stop. Just trying now to focus on my performance.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 12:12am On Sep 04, 2017
ShyCypher:

Your HOD is the "gun".

Target him/her.

Poison.

There will be a change of heads then u cozy up 2 d next boss ASAP.

If this repeats itself still, poison yourself.

The fault is yours.
What do you mean by there will be a change of boss?
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 12:14am On Sep 04, 2017
risingrainboll:
What do you mean by there will be a change of boss?

When u kill your current HOD, a new one will be appointed right?
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 12:20am On Sep 04, 2017
[quote author=ShyCypher post=60107
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 12:27am On Sep 04, 2017
risingrainboll:

That's true. I could actually poison him. His life is in my hands. Never thought of that. Thanks bro.

You're welcome.

2 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 12:28am On Sep 04, 2017
greatnaija01:
Simple Steps

Dont quit the JOb
Talk with your boss/HOD
Speak up for yourself
IF ALL THESE DOES NOT WORK THEN APPLY FOR A NEW JOB ELSEWHERE.... But it will.
Thanks allot. My last option is to inform him of my discomfort over his errand, after my confirmation. And to stay focus and work on my performance. Thanks alot

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 12:30am On Sep 04, 2017
[quote author=greatnaija01 post=60107287]Simple Steps
[b]
Dont quit the JOb
Talk with your boss/HOD
Speak up for yourself
IF ALL THESE DOES NOT WORK THEN APPAPP
FOR A NEW JOB ELSEWHERE.... But it will.

Thanks allot. My last option is to inform him of my discomfort over his errands. And to stay focus and work on my performance. Thanks alot
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Coldplay007(f): 12:49am On Sep 04, 2017
[quote author=risingrainboll post=60107775][/quote]

don't inform him of your discomfort over the errands oo.. you will be out of a job soon if you do...
Pally up to him.. run the errands like there is no other thing you would rather do.. make yourself indispensable to him..

3 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 1:38am On Sep 04, 2017
Coldplay007:

don't inform him of your discomfort over the errands oo.. you will be out of a job soon if you do...
Pally up to him.. run the errands like there is no other thing you would rather do.. make yourself indispensable to him..
Thanks alot. My dad actually told me not to worry about the errands. Someone, also told me to expect anything on the job. May be you have a point. Most people would die to get my job.
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 2:19am On Sep 04, 2017
[quote author=ShyCypher post=60107599]
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 2:22am On Sep 04, 2017
[quote author=ShyCypher post=60107599]

Fh
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by 9japrof(m): 5:21am On Sep 04, 2017
ShyCypher:

You're welcome.

Chai if the OP actually does this and caught , then you join him as a colleague in crime..

Bros I have been in the office to know that ur HOD COULD be sending u on errands because he trust ur judgements and is safe with u handling his food.

Do not act foolish, you can only resent if he berates you in public and don't give u dignity else you are just fine.

What we have these days are boys who are not ready to serve but want to be boss

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by ThatIgboBoy: 5:46am On Sep 04, 2017
Those your colleagues are yoruba muslims.

They cant do without speaking their ngbatiii ngbatiii in an office setting

31 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by UfuomaUN(m): 6:15am On Sep 04, 2017
Op I can relate very well to this problem. Four months ago after my job training I was posted to the field to join a team of two engineers in Ogun state. I grew up in a English speaking home in pH. The only other language I understand quite well is Igbo. Unfortunately for me, the two lead engineers were Yoruba and their brothers too who usually went out with us. My team mates weren't graduates really so even the little pigin English they managed was a struggle. Every single conversation in the vehicle between them was in Yoruba even though I regularly complained of being lost. Their response would be like "u go learn am by force na grin" . It was so bad we'd be going to a site and I wouldn't have the slightest idea where We were going or what we were going to do. Even when an important information came they'll conveniently tackle it amongst themselves leaving me out.

They were times I felt mad and bitter in myself cos I felt useless and under utilised. I just kept praying and hoping I'll get transferred sooner or later before I lost my entire sanity.

I complained to my supervisor initially about the whole thing and their was little he could do. Gradually, I put my head down and began to pick up meanings from conversations by just listening calmly until I finally got used to them.

About a month ago though I got transferred to Lagos ending my bitter language struggle for good. At times my former team mates call saying they miss me and I'm like, " I no miss you o! I like where I dey now". The whole experience was mentally harrowing and I don't wish it even to my enemy.

Op just keep calm and put your ears down, hopefully you'll catch a few words gradually while you keep praying for a change. grin

30 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by UfuomaUN(m): 6:18am On Sep 04, 2017
ThatIgboBoy:
Those your colleagues are yoruba muslims.

They cant do without speaking their Yoruba Yoruba in an office setting

Yes, it's much worse with Muslims

8 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by ggoldmine: 7:27am On Sep 04, 2017
FitnessDoctor:

1. Double Your Efforts

3. Pray

So are you a Christian or Muslim?

why do you ask? I don't think the religion is necessary in this counsel. Also, he hasn't said the HOD thinks less of him. I think because they are of the same religion, he feels more comfortable sending him on such errands as buying food and the rest.

@Op, just be yourself and stop trying to please anyone, you'll be much happier that way. Relate with them as you would with people from your tribe; greet, be friendly and nice... just be you. Believe me, if you met people from same tribe as you, you might act same.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by maxiuc(m): 10:01am On Sep 04, 2017
I can relate that with the AfonjAs they are good at that

This happens to me severally but my 5yrs staying in Lagos wasn't a waste I pretend as if I don't hear their language but ignore their ass

My dear just focus on your career do your best and watch them marvel

Very annoying sets of human beings

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by free2ryhme: 10:01am On Sep 04, 2017
risingrainboll:
Somebody HELP ME!

wetin u dont know no go kill you grin

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by free2ryhme: 10:01am On Sep 04, 2017
risingrainboll:
Somebody HELP ME!

grin

na becos you help person buy food dey give you depression. Guy you deserve a hot slap, you an adult crying like a baby. You fall hand

Guy try find another job or resign it is a bitter pill to swallow

RATHER THAN CRYING FOR SMALL CHILDREN FOR NAIRALAND
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Obikemmi: 10:01am On Sep 04, 2017
It's better your struggles are work related. Some don't even have work
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Quality20(m): 10:02am On Sep 04, 2017
how can we help u? wht were u expecting when u started working with xtians? If u can't bear it just give up d work or u want them to be abusing u in conversations

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 10:03am On Sep 04, 2017
If Muslim no follow make i bend.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by cold(m): 10:03am On Sep 04, 2017
risingrainboll:
Somebody HELP ME!
Learn their dialect. Simples!

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 10:03am On Sep 04, 2017
undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 10:04am On Sep 04, 2017

Resign!!!

Get a better and high paying job

Life is too short to be unhappy in a work place.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 10:04am On Sep 04, 2017
risingrainboll:
My HOD shares the same religion with me but different language with that of my team mates.
Sorry, I want to keep my religion and other details discreet.
Honestly, I was doing fine in my former department. I never had to deal with team mates of similar background. It's sickening. Besides, my HOD's management style just depressesses me. I think the ride he gives to me is a contributing factor.
Moreso, I tried to learn the language by being friendly with my team mates and showing interest in it untill my intension was missunderstood and taken for granted. Had to stop. Just trying now to focus on my performance.

Please if you have the chance. Leave that stupid company. Which type of company doesn't use English as their primary language?

Is that where you want to build your work experience. Biko start planning to leave that shitty company of yours. If you start now, possiblilites are you will find a new place in 6 months.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

4 Reasons You Should Start A Side Hustle As A Working Class Nigerian / Chivita Hires Policemen Against Workers As One Shot Dead, Company Reacts / Should I Resign My New Job For A Contract Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.