Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,404 members, 7,836,618 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:37 AM

Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! (20666 Views)

I'm Having Eco And First Bank Aptitude Test The Same Day / Anebi’s Spectacular Transformation Amidst Daunting Challenges At FFS / 3 Key Uses Of Microsoft Excel At Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Naturelle05: 10:40am On Sep 04, 2017
risingrainboll:
My team mates of five have these in common: Language and Religion. This is affecting my performance on the job as they often communicate in their local dialect, leaving me out. Sometimes, I am marginzlised in the process.
Also, my HOD (though of my religion) singles me out for errands such as buying him food even when I am seriouly busy.
What do I do as I always feel depressed over these each day I go to work? I am really worried. Please I need professional counsel.u
Also, I think I might need a counselor/mentor. I feel I need someone to help me package myself and develop a professional deamenor.
Somebody HELP ME!
I can guess it Yoruba people,just try and understand Yoruba,don't allow your life revolve around work,just do your job and go home dnt over think it

4 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 10:40am On Sep 04, 2017
Evaberry:
Resign!!!
Get a better and high paying job

Life is too short to be unhappy in a work place.

As if it is that easy to get a job

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by loshybab(m): 10:42am On Sep 04, 2017
ThatIgboBoy:
Those your colleagues are yoruba muslims.

They cant do without speaking their ngbatiii ngbatiii in an office setting
see this dude, go work in a hausa-dominated office group and u cn relate ur experience later

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by gretblue: 10:44am On Sep 04, 2017
My candid advise, never try to impress anyone at work, do your work diligently and wait how things turn around.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Madeb: 10:44am On Sep 04, 2017
Im also havin d same language barrier in my workn place. As a graduate and d supervisor in dat company, i receive 20k as a salary nd transport allowance of #200 per day but others receive 10k as a salary nd #100 for T.p. They ve bn workn there for 2 to 3yrs but mine is just a month nd a week. If i ask them to explain somethin 2 me,they would be speaking hausa 2 abuse me
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Mydazz(m): 10:44am On Sep 04, 2017
There's is a lot you're not saying, how then do we advise you based on incomplete variables.
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 10:47am On Sep 04, 2017
NosaHenry:
You don't need to tell me before i know they are YORUBA people. I faced this in Lagos when i was in first bank head office. Your best solution is to learn how to speak the language. You can do this within six months. you will be surprise how everything will turn around for you. best of luck
I think it's best to keep religious and ethnic sentiments out of this issue, as I want the input of all. Thanks so much. Will learn the language.
But my main concern is the errands not my team mates.
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 04, 2017
Where I went to learn a certain skill then. My boss will give instructions in Yoruba. I will be like ... Does this man want me to be a failure... After weeks I looked for same tribe man doin same work. So I migrated, abandoned what I paid to the Yoruba boss after weeks.

Though I regreted it later cos those weeks, I was picking one or two Yoruba words, but now am just like Jon snow

3 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 10:51am On Sep 04, 2017
Naturelle05:
I can guess it Yoruba people,just try and understand Yoruba,don't allow your life revolve around work,just do your job and go home dnt over think it
Thanks alot bro. Trying to work on overcoming worry. Really appreciate.
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by maxiuc(m): 10:51am On Sep 04, 2017
luminouz:

E PAIN AM

AfonjAs
AfonjAs
AfonjAs

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Kingspin(m): 10:51am On Sep 04, 2017
risingrainboll:
My team mates of five have these in common: Language and Religion. This is affecting my performance on the job as they often communicate in their local dialect, leaving me out. Sometimes, I am marginzlised in the process.
Also, my HOD (though of my religion) singles me out for errands such as buying him food even when I am seriouly busy.
What do I do as I always feel depressed over these each day I go to work? I am really worried. Please I need professional counsel.
Also, I think I might need a counselor/mentor. I feel I need someone to help me package myself and develop a professional deamenor.
Somebody HELP ME!
Without mentioning we know the part of Nigeria were tribalism and religion have made them mad. OP, try to pretend something, fellow them and constantly remind them that should mix English whenever they are communicating. While hope some day you get transfered or the chief engineers get replaced in your favor. It part of the game why Nigeria is not working.... Be calm and patience. Find someone who can or willing to speak the language you understand. Is well.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by kalufelix(m): 10:52am On Sep 04, 2017
ThatIgboBoy:

Haha Busted!

Op Av Been There Before Trust Me

In My Own Case My Supervisor Was Of The Same Tribe And Religion With Me. From The Director To The Admin Manager, The Departmental Heads And Employees Are 80% Yoruba Muslims
So We Had To Form Our Own Minority Faction As Regards To Social Interactions As Long As The Work Is Goin Just Fine The Mgt Cant Complain They Will Only Put You Guys Under Radar And Monitor You Less You Plot A Coup..Lol

So Anytime They Start Their Ngbatii Ngbatii We Too Go Enta Our Own Locality And They Are Never Happy About It But As Long As Your Work Performance Is Okay They Cant Use It Against You
Until I Left The Organization Many Of them Didnt Know I Understood Yoruba Well Enough So I Was Always One Step Ahead, You Needed To Have Seen Broad daylight Backstabbing..Lol
Truly Yorubas Have No Substance

Office Politics Sha...

2 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by michealdeco: 10:53am On Sep 04, 2017
This is why Nigeria must break up

So that. Everyone will go their separate ways
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Kingspin(m): 10:53am On Sep 04, 2017
risingrainboll:

I think it's best to keep religious and ethnic sentiments out of this issue, as I want the input of all. Thanks so much. Will learn the language.
Nigeria keep pretending..... Remember you have to take all advices.

2 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Ishilove: 11:02am On Sep 04, 2017
risingrainboll:
What do I do as I always feel depressed over these each day I go to work? I am really worried. Please I need professional counsel.

All through my professional experience, I've always been the only non-Yoruba speaker in my work place, but it never bothered me because I was born and raised in Yoruba land, so I understand the language. Even where I work presently, my co-workers speak their language non-stop. No English language.

What do I do? I let it fly over my head. When I need to address them, I speak English and tell them to speak same when discussing an issue that concerns all of us. After we're done, we revert to status quo. Shikena.

You aren't there to make friends or kiss ass. Do your job and be professional.

2 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Broda09: 11:03am On Sep 04, 2017
risingrainboll:
My HOD shares the same religion with me but different language with that of my team mates.
Sorry, I want to keep my religion and other details discreet.
Honestly, I was doing fine in my former department. I never had to deal with team mates of similar background. It's sickening. Besides, my HOD's management style just depressesses me. I think the ride he gives to me is a contributing factor.
Moreso, I tried to learn the language by being friendly with my team mates and showing interest in it untill my intension was missunderstood and taken for granted. Had to stop. Just trying now to focus on my performance.

You will not get meaningful help if you conceal some vital details. They matter. If your colleagues are Muslim the way you will be advised to handle it is different from if they were Christians. If the language is Chinese, the advise will be different from if they were Indians or French because people will add cultural, historical issues to the experience. You do not need help for now.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by patola080(m): 11:03am On Sep 04, 2017
ThatIgboBoy:

hahaha u mad ,Yoruba is d only language u can understand wit time I mean in a short time
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 11:08am On Sep 04, 2017
seunAccount:

2. Learn to Speak that language

I am on my quest to learn Yoruba because it is the only other major language I don't know. So, I think you can do this do, try and learn their language because no matter how hard you try to impress your HOD, these people might keep getting in the way and might go as far as tarnishing your image. It is the human nature.

My main concern is the errands. I am an adult and shouldn't be subjected to such conditions. Immagine doing these errands in the nest 5 or 10 years of my career. This is my long-term term view concerns. Besides, other senior managers in the dept might take advantage of it. Imagine what my boss will ask me to do tomorrow. Wash his car? Polish his shoe? Go to the market? Do you see my point?

This is what you need @OP
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 04, 2017
ivolt:

If he gives you a ride to work why then are you complaining of errands ?
It is only natural that your HOD gravitate towards you since you are relatively
close to him.

Also, why keep your religion private ?
Are your co-workers also in the dark and are relating to you
as member of the same religion

You just have to endure.
Too much details might expose my identity. What would my colleagues or boss say when I am found out? Imagine someone asking me to poison my boss! Pls understand.
I really regret those rides. I don't need them anymore given this outcome. I need a way out.
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 11:18am On Sep 04, 2017
UfuomaUN:

Yes, it's much worse with Muslims

how is it much worse for Muslims?
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Viergeachar: 11:21am On Sep 04, 2017
Even in Shell, Warri, it was Yoruba all the way. cool

Yoruba rocks jor. cool

Proudly Yoruba! cool

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 11:21am On Sep 04, 2017
Kingspin:
Without mentioning we know the part of Nigeria were tribalism and religion have made them mad. OP, try to pretend something, fellow them and constantly remind them that should mix English whenever they are communicating. While hope some day you get transfered or the chief engineers get replaced in your favor. It part of the game why Nigeria is not working.... Be calm and patience. Find someone who can or willing to speak the language you understand. Is well.

keep quite. It happens everwhere, the same thing happens in the East and most of them are Christians. So yu have no point

5 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 11:32am On Sep 04, 2017
truthsayer009:

Please if you have the chance. Leave that stupid company. Which type of company doesn't use English as their primary language?

Is that where you want to build your work experience. Biko start planning to leave that shitty company of yours. If you start now, possiblilites are you will find a new place in 6 months.
My long term goal is to quit. But six months too short. I need more experience and capacity building. And develop a good exit strategy. Wouldnt want this to repeat it self elsewhere. But my main concern is the errands, not my colleagues.
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 11:34am On Sep 04, 2017
Evaberry:

Resign!!!

Get a better and high paying job

Life is too short to be unhappy in a work place.

Working on it. Thanks alot
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by giftedben: 11:44am On Sep 04, 2017
risingrainboll:
Somebody HELP ME!

Don't even mind the language they speak or the errands your hod sends you. The most important thing you should be mindful is your salary. End of the month collect your pay. Seems to me your hod trust you more than the others. It's part of life.
Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by UfuomaUN(m): 11:51am On Sep 04, 2017
kalufelix:

Haha Busted!

Op Av Been There Before Trust Me

In My Own Case My Supervisor Was Of The Same Tribe And Religion With Me. From The Director To The Admin Manager, The Departmental Heads And Employees Are 80% Yoruba Muslims
So We Had To Form Our Own Minority Faction As Regards To Social Interactions As Long As The Work Is Goin Just Fine The Mgt Cant Complain They Will Only Put You Guys Under Radar And Monitor You Less You Plot A Coup..Lol

So Anytime They Start Their Ngbatii Ngbatii We Too Go Enta Our Own Locality And They Are Never Happy About It But As Long As Your Work Performance Is Okay They Cant Use It Against You
Until I Left The Organization Many Of them Didnt Know I Understood Yoruba Well Enough So I Was Always One Step Ahead, You Needed To Have Seen Broad daylight Backstabbing..Lol
Truly Yorubas Have No Substance

Office Politics Sha...

When I said it was them someone tried to attack me! I remember i my case in the story I narrated above, my colleagues were actually abusing because "my English sounded too correct cos of my upbringing". "Omo-igbo ajebo...see as e dey walka like agric fowl (in Yoruba. don't ask me how I understood. dey didjt realise I wasn't stupid though " grin when I'm not even Ibo. it was hell

4 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by scholes0(m): 11:51am On Sep 04, 2017
Lmao see all of them complaing about Yorubas speaking their language.
First and foremost- no one forces anybody to come live in Yorubaland.

Second- It isn't their fault that you people prefer English or Pidgin to your indigenous languages.

When you are in a new cultural region , you are supposed to blend in and move on with your neighbors, not stick out like a sore thumb. If I migrate to Kano today, I will endeavour to start learning some Hausa, not conplaining that Hausa people speak too much Hausa... it is their language, goddammit.

6 Likes

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 11:53am On Sep 04, 2017
giftedben:

Don't even mind the language they speak or the errands your hod sends you. The most important thing you should be mindful is your salary. End of the month collect your pay. Seems to me your hod trust you more than the others. It's part of life.
Thanks alot. Grateful

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by vicfy(m): 12:04pm On Sep 04, 2017
For your HOD to trust you with his food, you are definitely in his/her side. And you must try not to speak ill of any colleague behind his/her back. If you must say something ugly, do that before the person. Its hurts, but you just have to.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by luminouz(m): 12:08pm On Sep 04, 2017
maxiuc:

AfonjAs
AfonjAs
AfonjAs
What's DAT
Is DAT d name of ur destiny shocked

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by Nobody: 12:11pm On Sep 04, 2017
vicfy:
For your HOD to trust you with his food, you are definitely in his/her side. And you must try not to speak ill of any colleague behind his/her back. If you must say something ugly, do that before the person. Its hurts, but you just have to.
Thank you so so much. May you find help when in need.

1 Like

Re: Help, I'm Having Challenges At Work! by kayabd(m): 12:18pm On Sep 04, 2017
I think his oga Na Christian because its only Christians dat treat deir fellow Christian dat way and his team mates are Muslims

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Meet A Female Mechanic Who Assembles 'Keke Napep' Parts From Scratch In Anambra / Qualified Chartered Accountants In Here..pls Help The 2013 ICAN Aspirants!!!. / Federal Workers Observe Christmas Without December Salaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.