Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,493 members, 7,819,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:55 PM

8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) (61292 Views)

See The Nicknames Of All The 24 Teams Competing At AFCON 2019 / Funny Nicknames Of Former Super Eagles Legends And How They Got Them / Nicknames Of Teams Playing In Russia 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by FOREXMARTS: 8:45pm On Sep 04, 2017
Lol I still remember in the North then they called kanu ladidi, that's a feminine name cos to them he played don't-stain-me football avoiding contacts and slides like a lady.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by greencard: 8:50pm On Sep 04, 2017
Peter rufai never got dodo mayana from any fela's song ..he got it from his playing days in portugal ..mayana dodo..dodo mayana. grin

Blogger fear God oo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by DeRay98(m): 8:53pm On Sep 04, 2017
Etim "Maradona" Esin. Even from his (Flying Eagles) U-20 days in 1987 because of stature and dribbles like Maradona.
Yisa Shofoluwe "Dean of Defence".
Augustine Igbinadolor "Lekeleke"
Alloysius Atuegbu" block buster"

1 Like

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Fawklicant: 8:53pm On Sep 04, 2017
SHTFguy:
Lie lie

Papillo came about because of the old school kangol aka papa's cap Kanu used to wear off field those days The name was not given to him by fellow team-mates but by Nigerian football fans.

Jay-Jay was a nickname Okocha picked when he was with frankfurt FC and it was from his fellow German team mates who said Okocha looked like Jay-Jay from the 80's comedy sitcom "Good Times".

Useless bloggers

Oga don't say what you don't know. Jay Jay was his elder brother's nickname which later rubbed off Austin. Do you even know what Jay Jay from good times looked like? There's no way okocha looks like him.
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Nostradamus: 8:56pm On Sep 04, 2017
richybankx:
Papilo all the way. Did any one notice that kanu is wearing a bead necklace @first pics y playing which I doubt is still allowed in the rules of football now.. Any explanations pls?
that could have been a rosary.

1 Like

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Shedrak1(m): 8:58pm On Sep 04, 2017
Bia OP, what's funny there? Some bloggers and their captions sha.
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by boyd4show: 8:58pm On Sep 04, 2017
profmsboi:
Obafemi Martins(The running Lion) because of his speed
Nope! WMD- weapon of mass destruction

1 Like

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by profmsboi(m): 8:59pm On Sep 04, 2017
wizard007:

Eehhh! Won tun gbe tun tun de, his nick is Obagoal and that because during his peak baba dey score goal for free.

I know that,... but, he was also called The Running Lion
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by oodua1stson: 8:59pm On Sep 04, 2017
Mathematical Odegbami was given the nickname because he was an engineer and very good at maths. It actually has nothing to do with his football skills
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by BluntBoy(m): 9:01pm On Sep 04, 2017
Flashh:
Ikedia. (Okada). Just give this short man the ball, he puts it on the run...

I thought Tijani Babangida was "Okada"?
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by psalmson001: 9:06pm On Sep 04, 2017
SHTFguy:
Lie lie

Papillo came about because of the old school kangol aka papa's cap Kanu used to wear off field those days The name was not given to him by fellow team-mates but by Nigerian football fans.

Jay-Jay was a nickname Okocha picked when he was with frankfurt FC and it was from his fellow German team mates who said Okocha looked like Jay-Jay from the 80's comedy sitcom "Good Times".

Useless bloggers

I tot d name papilo came from a popular phrase in one peak milk advert one year like dat......"papilo, i know say one day u go make me proud"....

1 Like

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Nobody: 9:07pm On Sep 04, 2017
clevadani:
Killed a keeper? Make una sufry oh grin grin
grin grin Abeg Tel Dem oo one day monkey go go market e no go come back again

1 Like

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by edi287: 9:09pm On Sep 04, 2017
Obafemi Martins - Weapon of mass destruction.
Chinedu Ogbuke - Garri Master
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by SHTFguy: 9:13pm On Sep 04, 2017
psalmson001:

I tot d name papilo came from a popular phrase in one peak milk advert one year like dat......"papilo, i know say one day u go make me proud"....

That was years after Atlanta '96 when Kanu led the dream team to win the first Olympic gold in football.
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by SHTFguy: 9:14pm On Sep 04, 2017
Fawklicant:

Oga don't say what you don't know. Jay Jay was his elder brother's nickname which later rubbed off Austin. Do you even know what Jay Jay from good times looked like? There's no way okocha looks like him.

Oyibos thought he looked like Jay Jay not me.

So go ask the German team mates that named him Jay-Jay
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Optimist02: 9:17pm On Sep 04, 2017
Daniel amokachi (the bull)
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by AkupeMBANO(m): 9:22pm On Sep 04, 2017
SHTFguy:
Lie lie

Useless bloggers
Wow. insightful
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Fawklicant: 9:22pm On Sep 04, 2017
SHTFguy:

Oyibos thought he looked like Jay Jay not me.

So go ask the German team mates that named him Jay-Jay

Stop insisting on what you know little about. Just admit your error and move on. It isn't that hard.

2 Likes

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Fawklicant: 9:24pm On Sep 04, 2017
AkupeMBANO:

Wow. insightful

Nothing insightful in wrong information. His assertions are false. The original post is correct.
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Canberra55: 9:24pm On Sep 04, 2017
MadCow1:

Here in France we call him "Un Pantalon".. grin
u just want make I nosay u dey France
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by boyency: 9:24pm On Sep 04, 2017
obafemi martin: obagol mikel obi: obi kelelenke
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by boyency: 9:25pm On Sep 04, 2017
obafemi martin: obagol mikel obi: obi kelelenke
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by omoseth(m): 9:32pm On Sep 04, 2017
Garuba Lawal-Mr utility
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by SHTFguy: 9:32pm On Sep 04, 2017
Fawklicant:

Stop insisting on what you know little about. Just admit your error and move on. It isn't that hard.

Mr man long before Okocha played for the national team he was known in Germany as Jay-Jay b b team mates, club fans and football commentators.

Did he carry his brother to Germany with him?

For proof search YouTube for that classic match where Okocha scored a fabulous goal for frankfurt and hear the commentator call him Jay-Jay.

Note Westehoff had yet to invite Okocha to join the super eagles club.

That match in frankfurt is what ma Nigerian press put pressure on westterhoff to invite Okocha whose first match was in '94 against South Africa where he scored a free kick.

Guy I no be small pikin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by SirGoldEjike(m): 9:34pm On Sep 04, 2017
blessedweapon:
Yakubu Aiyegbeni--------- Missy Eliott
Lwkmd, u r wicked ooooo, Lol MISSy Eliott

1 Like

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Blonchilli(m): 9:34pm On Sep 04, 2017
SHTFguy:
Lie lie

Useless bloggers
Very useless. The article didn't make sense because the source iss wrong. You're right. Also the fans then made a song for Jay-Jay. "...so good they named him twice..." the OP and Moderator need flogging

1 Like

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by lereinter(m): 9:36pm On Sep 04, 2017
profmsboi:
Obafemi Martins(The running Lion) because of his speed

they also call him weapon of mass destruction...
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by rimijoshua(m): 9:38pm On Sep 04, 2017
Thiery Henry...igwe
Yakubu aiyegbeni.....pls wat shd I give yakubu
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Xclusivedaniel6(m): 9:42pm On Sep 04, 2017
madridguy:
Taye Taiwo- Igo ( Bottle )

Bad guy

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by mentorseries(m): 9:44pm On Sep 04, 2017
Prince of Monaco - Victor ikpeba

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Picture Of Julius Aghahowa As A Businessman & Part-time Model / Wesley Sneijder Now Looks Twice His Size In New Photos / Meet Oluwatofunmi Fadesire 'Olu Strong': The Secret Of Nigeria’s Strongest Man

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.