Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,060 members, 7,835,583 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:05 PM

8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) - Sports (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) (61361 Views)

See The Nicknames Of All The 24 Teams Competing At AFCON 2019 / Funny Nicknames Of Former Super Eagles Legends And How They Got Them / Nicknames Of Teams Playing In Russia 2018 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Christaks(m): 1:32am On Sep 05, 2017
profmsboi:
Obafemi Martins(The running Lion) because of his speed

Na lie...

Oba Goal ..
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Chinagurum1995(m): 1:53am On Sep 05, 2017
Nwankwo Kanu (Papilo) Final Answer. wink
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Michealforever: 2:54am On Sep 05, 2017
Antina:

Sunday Oliseh ni!! He used mafia scatter Nigeria Team '2000 abi na 2002.

Oliseh was not a mafia ooo. He was an activist always fighting for the entitlements of his teammates when there was no social media scrutiny on NFA officials then.

They painted him as a scapegoat and disbanded the team that is only recovering now after nearly two decades.
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Michealforever: 3:02am On Sep 05, 2017
SHTFguy:

Oyibos thought he looked like Jay Jay not me.

So go ask the German team mates that named him Jay-Jay

Ogbeni why you stubborn like this.
Austin has been known as Jay Jay before he traveled to Germany to visit his brother.
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Nobody: 4:38am On Sep 05, 2017
Okala Ka Were.
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by supereagle(m): 5:08am On Sep 05, 2017
Gangling Yekini
Sofoluwe Yisa. Dean of the defence.
Friday Elaho Elastic Elaho
Gentle Giant Forget the real name. Westhorf gave the name.

Given by Earnest Okonkwo of blessed memory.
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Jidefido(m): 5:29am On Sep 05, 2017
richybankx:
Papilo all the way. Did any one notice that kanu is wearing a bead necklace @first pics y playing which I doubt is still allowed in the rules of football now.. Any explanations pls?

It's no longer allowed cos it could cause body damage to the player himself and others. cant recall, an incident occured during a football league match and the necklace caused a damage to the neck of the player. naturally authorities stopped players from putting on even studs till it got to checking if their boots are not metal studs of the old

1 Like

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by dotedote: 5:38am On Sep 05, 2017
Victor Ikpeba (PRINCE OF MONACO)[b]Victor Ikpeba (PRINCE OF MONACO)[/b]Victor Ikpeba (PRINCE OF MONACO)
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by 1wolex85: 5:46am On Sep 05, 2017
Gaddafithe2nd:
Lawal Garuba- say Garuba or Mr. Garuba

Garba Lawal's nickname is Chindo

1 Like

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by LorDBolton(m): 6:17am On Sep 05, 2017
enimooko:
No, na back pass

You know what's up !
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Thehustler: 6:27am On Sep 05, 2017
SHTFguy:
Lie lie

Papillo came about because of the old school kangol aka papa's cap Kanu used to wear off field those days The name was not given to him by fellow team-mates but by Nigerian football fans.

Jay-Jay was a nickname Okocha picked when he was with frankfurt FC and it was from his fellow German team mates who said Okocha looked like Jay-Jay from the 80's comedy sitcom "Good Times".

Useless bloggers

You right man...talking about Jay Jay evans
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by doublewisdom: 6:58am On Sep 05, 2017
phranq30:
He's a Bet9ja agent now.
Mehn, thanks.
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by FromZeroToHero(m): 7:06am On Sep 05, 2017
Wrong, Daniel Amokachi (the bull)
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Fawklicant: 7:26am On Sep 05, 2017
SHTFguy:

Mr man long before Okocha played for the national team he was known in Germany as Jay-Jay b b team mates, club fans and football commentators.

Did he carry his brother to Germany with him?

For proof search YouTube for that classic match where Okocha scored a fabulous goal for frankfurt and hear the commentator call him Jay-Jay.

Note Westehoff had yet to invite Okocha to join the super eagles club.

That match in frankfurt is what ma Nigerian press put pressure on westterhoff to invite Okocha whose first match was in '94 against South Africa where he scored a free kick.

Guy I no be small pikin

Oga, Emma his elder brother was the one who brought him to germany for pro football. His elder bro had a club already and was already playing for super eagles then. You don't know anything. The goal you are talking about was with oliver khan. Yes you are a small pikin because you keep insisting on what you know nothing about. That name already had a history with his brother before it was adapted to him.
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Fawklicant: 7:28am On Sep 05, 2017
Thehustler:

You right man...talking about Jay Jay evans

He is very wrong, talking about sweet story to the ears however false it is.
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Revolva(m): 7:29am On Sep 05, 2017
aHMED mUSA AKA Aboki wey no get bearing lol

Amokachi na The Bull
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Fawklicant: 7:30am On Sep 05, 2017
Michealforever:

Ogbeni why you stubborn like this.
Austin has been known as Jay Jay before he traveled to Germany to visit his brother.

He is jus displaying ignorance. He had adapted the name from his rangers days, having kinda replaced his brother in rangers so to speak.
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Fawklicant: 7:32am On Sep 05, 2017
supereagle:
Gangling Yekini
Sofoluwe Yisa. Dean of the defence.
Friday Elaho Elastic Elaho
Gentle Giant Forget the real name. Westhorf gave the name.

Given by Earnest Okonkwo of blessed memory.

Gentle giant....Uche Okechukwu
Yekini......Baba gangling
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by wizard007(m): 7:35am On Sep 05, 2017
profmsboi:

I know that,... but, he was also called The Running Lion

Oga na lie jare, which kain running Lion, another name I knew the press gave him is weapon of mass destruction, all these names I have proof for, well I don hear sha
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by arabaribiti(m): 7:42am On Sep 05, 2017
uglodoh:
I doubt the origin of Papillo.

Daniel Amokachi the bull
Mutiu Adepoju. Head master
Wilfred Agbonobare. Agbonibasket
Uche Okechukwu. Gentle giant

I was about listing this thanks dear but I guess ur age is 38yrs upwards
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by muchroom(m): 7:50am On Sep 05, 2017
You forgot Akponibasket- Nickname for former goalkeper Akponibare after becoming famous for conceeding goals.
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by ojobekehinde: 7:54am On Sep 05, 2017
This op self,you know nothing.dodo mayana is a germany words meaning"till tomorrow"i will not tell u how peter come abt d name,so go and do ur reserch.
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by MamaCass: 8:40am On Sep 05, 2017
Thunder Balogun - Now I know that most bloggers are useless and lack ability to do proper research. Just write anything for traffic. Shior
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Godson32(m): 9:10am On Sep 05, 2017
Teslim Balogun, na wah o. Are u really a football player, why killing person with ur shot, 10-10 and his coach,another disaster.
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by enimooko: 9:20am On Sep 05, 2017
nokingasgod:

Think Idowu Otubusin was d ''Slow Poison'' and not Kunle Awesu

Then, Godwin Odinye as Lastman Odinye''

Ogbein Fawole as ''Ogbeehin Faawole'' (Ogba ehin faa wole meaning he scored d goal from d back of d net)

Alloysius Atuegbu think is ''Blockbuster''

Adokiye Amiesimaka as Chief Justice Amiesimaka (he eventually became a justice in d judiciary)

Rashidi Yekini as Dangling Gangling Yekini

Oh yes, Rashidi is the real Gangling and it seems that Idowu Otubusin played also for IICC Shooting Stars of Ibadan
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Nobody: 9:26am On Sep 05, 2017
Christian Chukwu, (Chairman) - I heard the name came from his composure, calm and mature attitude towards the game, once he's in the pitch, there's confidence which he exudes and transfers onto the whole team!
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by richybankx: 9:32am On Sep 05, 2017
Jidefido:

It's no longer allowed cos it could cause body damage to the player himself and others. cant recall, an incident occured during a football league match and the necklace caused a damage to the neck of the player. naturally authorities stopped players from putting on even studs till it got to checking if their boots are not metal studs of the old
Thanks man..
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Nobody: 9:33am On Sep 05, 2017
richybankx:
Papilo all the way. Did any one notice that kanu is wearing a bead necklace @first pics y playing which I doubt is still allowed in the rules of football now.. Any explanations pls?

His Rosary I guess, that was in the 90s tho, the rules keep changing from time to time.

1 Like

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by supereagle(m): 9:42am On Sep 05, 2017
Fawklicant:

Gentle giant....Uche Okechukwu
Yekini......Baba gangling
Yes. God bless you immensely.

1 Like

Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Orobo2Lekpa: 10:08am On Sep 05, 2017
SHTFguy:
Lie lie

Papillo came about because of the old school kangol aka papa's cap Kanu used to wear off field those days The name was not given to him by fellow team-mates but by Nigerian football fans.

Jay-Jay was a nickname Okocha picked when he was with frankfurt FC and it was from his fellow German team mates who said Okocha looked like Jay-Jay from the 80's comedy sitcom "Good Times".

Useless bloggers

Jay Jay inherited the name from his elder brother James (Or John) and not Emmanuel. I believe the brother played for Railways Enugu.

While growing up, Emmanuel was called Emma Jay Jay for a while and Augustine was Austin Jay Jay. That's how the name stuck
In Enugu, it not unusual to be inherit the nickname of a famous or successful elder brother
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by Bellfun(m): 10:22am On Sep 05, 2017
madridguy:
Taye Taiwo- Igo ( Bottle )

Seem you knew him from way back! Cos that's the name they call him around isheri.
Re: 8 Funny Nicknames Of Famous Nigerian Footballers And Their Origins (photos) by madridguy(m): 10:34am On Sep 05, 2017
I over sabi am.

Bellfun:

Seem you knew him from way back! Cos that's the name they call him around isheri.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Little Mbappé With Thierry Henry And Cristiano Ronaldo (Throwback Photos) / Caio Junior: "If I Died Today, I Had Die Happy", His Last Post Before His Death / Falconets/Flamingoes Thread: 2018 FIFA U-20/U-17 Women's World Cup.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.