Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,616 members, 7,823,691 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:26 PM

10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing (24802 Views)

52 Transition Words And Phrases To Keep Your Writing Whole And Well Knit. / 5 Books To Sharpen Your Writing Skill In 2020 / Earn Extra With Your Writing Skills On Social Media. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by beautydutch(f): 10:55am On Sep 06, 2017
Emmykego:

There is nothing as embarrassing as being ignorantly confident in error. You may have, on one or two instances, be posing off with some words/phrases, not knowing you’re deep in the pool of mistake; they’re non-existing phrases.

There could make you fell terribly bad after crafting out a ‘beautiful’ post around an idea.

Embarrassing? Jaw-dropping ? You do the job. Use whatever words suits you, my dear. You’re at liberty!

After observing conversations and reading through piles of texts, I found out that you, like many others, could have used these wrong, rather non-existing phrases:

Plumby:
Chances are that you’ve used this word to paint your friend who has some lump of flesh attached to his frame. Maybe I would forgive you because it is “Nigerian English.”

There is no need adding “y” to plumb when referring to that friend who has some fleshy meat glued to his bony structure.

Wrong: George’s girlfriend’s not plumby.

Right: George’s girlfriend’s not chubby/plumb.

Complimentary Card
“I’ll send give him my complimentary card“. That’s a wrong way to tell someone you’ll give him your BUSINESS CARD.

If you use complimentary, it means that you’re giving out a free copy of your product.

That informs why you have “COMPLIMENTARY COPY,” used as a promotional device by intellectual property owners.

Wrong: I gave Uche my complimentary card.

Right: I gave Uche my business card.

Delta citizen/indigenes
This one has been popularised by the media but some principalities in high places say that “indigene” is not an English word.

I was wondering, when I read “Delta citizens” in the news the other time, if my state had finally gotten independence and became a country.

Never say: “Delta citizens” since Delta is not a country or Delta indigenes.

Wrong: Delta state indigenes/citizens have been largely peaceful amidst the economic Kung Fu.

Right: Delta state natives have been largely peaceful amidst the economic Kung Fu.

4: Poke Nose

I know you used to tell your neighbour not to poke nose into your affairs again. But unku, it’s actually poke your nose into your affairs.

Wrong: Stop poke nosing into my affairs, biko!

Right: Don’t poke your nose into my affairs, e jor!

Luxurious Bus
Trust me, I heard and used this confidently while growing up until the scales fell off my eyes.

Nigerians use it to describe a large bus which can take in more persons than the normal bus.

Wrong: I took a luxurious Bus to Ikeja on Saturday.

Right: I took a luxury bus to Ikeja today.

Comity of Nation
If you’re a politically inclined person, you know that this is used in reference to the gathering of nations.

However, that is a wrong judgement of the phrase. Comity of nation is the respect countries have for one another.

Wrong: Nigeria is envied in the comity of nations.

Right: Nigeria is envied in the community of nations.

Barbing Salon.
No much talk on this as there is no word as “barbing” in that context.

Wrong: I went to the barbing salon.

Right: I went to the hair salon.

Screen touch
In this digital age, you may have been guilty of using it to describe a mobile device that responds to touch.

However, that’s wrong. See how to use it:

Wrong: My phone is a screen touch.

Right: My phone is touch screen.

PS: Some dictionaries cum authorities in the language disagree with some of these ‘non-existing phrases. However, you could make do of them in ‘non-standard’ usage.

http://theflowingink.com/10-embarrassingly-non-existing-phrases-hurting-writing/
op God bless you
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by teekrackz(m): 11:02am On Sep 06, 2017
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by walemetro: 11:04am On Sep 06, 2017
merriam webster
Definition of comity of nations
: the courtesy and friendship of nations marked especially by mutual recognition of executive, legislative, and judicial acts
: the group of nations practicing international comity
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Nobody: 11:14am On Sep 06, 2017
Emmykego:

There is nothing as embarrassing as being ignorantly confident in error. You may have, on one or two instances, be posing off with some words/phrases, not knowing you’re deep in the pool of mistake; they’re non-existing phrases.

There could make you fell terribly bad after crafting out a ‘beautiful’ post around an idea.

Embarrassing? Jaw-dropping ? You do the job. Use whatever words suits you, my dear. You’re at liberty!

After observing conversations and reading through piles of texts, I found out that you, like many others, could have used these wrong, rather non-existing phrases:

Plumpy:
Chances are that you’ve used this word to paint your friend who has some lump of flesh attached to his frame. Maybe I would forgive you because it is “Nigerian English.”

There is no need adding “y” to plump when referring to that friend who has some fleshy meat glued to his bony structure.

Wrong: George’s girlfriend’s not plumpy.

Right: George’s girlfriend’s not chubby/plumpy.

Complimentary Card
“I’ll send give him my complimentary card“. That’s a wrong way to tell someone you’ll give him your BUSINESS CARD.

If you use complimentary, it means that you’re giving out a free copy of your product.

That informs why you have “COMPLIMENTARY COPY,” used as a promotional device by intellectual property owners.

Delta citizen/indigenes
This one has been popularised by the media but some principalities in high places say that “indigene” is not an English word.

I was wondering, when I read “Delta citizens” in the news the other time, if my state had finally gotten independence and became a country.

Wrong: Delta state indigenes/citizens have been largely peaceful amidst the economic Kung Fu.

Right: Delta state natives have been largely peaceful amidst the economic Kung Fu.

I know you used to tell your neighbour not to poke nose into your affairs again. But unku, it’s actually poke your nose into your affairs.

Luxurious Bus
Trust me, I heard and used this confidently while growing up until the scales fell off my eyes.

Nigerians use it to describe a large bus which can take in more persons than the normal bus.

Comity of Nation
If you’re a politically inclined person, you know that this is used in reference to the gathering of nations.

However, that is a wrong judgement of the phrase. Comity of nation is the respect countries have for one another.

Barbing Salon.

Screen touch
In this digital age, you may have been guilty of using it to describe a mobile device that responds to touch.

PS: Some dictionaries cum authorities in the language disagree with some of these ‘non-existing phrases.

http://theflowingink.com/10-embarrassingly-non-existing-phrases-hurting-writing/

*"Plumb/Plumby", is a typo. I actually meant "plump."

As noted in my post script, not all authorities agree with everything, say, "Indigene" as incorrect but a majority do.

Thanks for bringing my attention to these.
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Psoul(m): 11:22am On Sep 06, 2017
Emmykego:

Plumby:

There is no need adding “y” to plumb when referring to that friend who has some fleshy meat glued to his bony structure.

Thank you for the topic. I will like you to check the word Plumb. I think you mean Plump. What do you think.

I still have contrary view on some of ur assumed wrong phrases. I will come back later to point them out and we can iron them out with enough evidence in SBE.
Thanks.
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Chiefpriest1(m): 11:33am On Sep 06, 2017
Teacher , no teach me nonsense!

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by musicwriter(m): 11:36am On Sep 06, 2017
ModusOperandi:
there's one they use:

Fanimorous to mean attractive, but it actually originated from the Yoruba word "fanimora"

There's nothing wrong creating or using such words. Any language allows creation and use of such. In fact, many English words are misspelled Greek words, French words, German words, Latin words. The mistakes of England is actually what we spend time in school here learning proudly.

Today, Americans has added many "misspelled words and phrases" into English lexicon and they proudly call it American English. And they don't care!! .

Being the slaves we are, we also use those "wrong" American English without thinking, without asking question.

White people has dealt a very big blow to our minds, such that we have lost total confidence in ourselves, we have chosen inferiority and we honestly believe anything we create must be inferior. That's why a thread like this pop up and a lot of people get excited running down their minds all in the name of education.

Education my foot!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by ocheejemb: 11:54am On Sep 06, 2017
Lol, op himself writes so poorly.
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by BluntBoy(m): 11:59am On Sep 06, 2017
Emmykego:

Plumby:

Complimentary Card

Delta citizen/indigenes

Luxurious Bus

Comity of Nation

Barbing Salon.

Screen touch

PS: Some dictionaries cum authorities in the language disagree with some of these ‘non-existing phrases. However, you could make do of them in ‘non-standard’ usage.

English teacher, there are words that are rightly used in the examples you marked as WRONG.

1. The word is plump, not plumb.

2. There is nothing wrong with indigene. It can be used in place of native.

3. There is nothing wrong with luxurious. Luxurious is an adjective and can be used to describe a luxury bus.

4. Comity of nations is correct.
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by medexico(m): 12:46pm On Sep 06, 2017
Emmykego:

Plumby:

Complimentary Card

Delta citizen/indigenes

Luxurious Bus

Comity of Nation

Barbing Salon.

Screen touch

there is nothing like plumby but there ìs something like plumpy
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Airoflaw(m): 12:54pm On Sep 06, 2017
modelmike7:
To the enemies of progress......
Don’t poke your nose into my affairs anymore , abeg I!
abeg I
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Nobody: 1:01pm On Sep 06, 2017
Airoflaw:
abeg I
Join the 2 words together, my phone doesn't speak pidgin
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by delishpot: 1:47pm On Sep 06, 2017
OP it's plump not plumb
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Doyin2(m): 2:06pm On Sep 06, 2017
Hair salon?

That 's too vague.Hair salon is for ladies.

The right statement is barbershop.
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by Monday5(m): 2:24pm On Sep 06, 2017
alexistaiwo:
I seriously doubt if Bill Gates, Warren Buffet, Dangote, Zuckerberg and Co know this.
Now take a look at majority of those who know this information, I am sure that you will be forced to agree with me that the basic importance of language is to pass your message across.

Sha pass your message across.
That is the koko
You see yourself

Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by EngrMilly(m): 2:35pm On Sep 06, 2017
Abudu2000:
As an engineer do i really have to care? cheesy
The fact that you're an engineer is not a yardstick to disregard grammatical rules.
Please flush that mindset, it has restricted many engineers from giving sound and intuitive presentation in engineering forums/seminars.
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by ExInferis(m): 3:26pm On Sep 06, 2017

My phone is touch screen? That can't be right.

My phone has a touch screen

My phone is touch-enabled

My phone has a touch-enabled display.

My phone is touch-based

Etc....
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by ChristyB(f): 4:31pm On Sep 06, 2017
Thanks, but i prefer it being called a barbers shop.
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by ovieokodhi(m): 8:24pm On Sep 06, 2017
[quote author=Florblu post=60182993][/quote]hahahahahaha....banana fall on you
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by olawaletimi(m): 10:23pm On Sep 06, 2017
Nairaland is just a special place with wonderful people.. My Day isn't complete without learning some thing new, and the only place to do that is on Nairaland. Op Thank you Very Much.
Re: 10 Embarrassingly Non-existing Phrases That Are Hurting Your Writing by NovusHomo(m): 12:28am On Sep 07, 2017
Plumby:

The word is PLUMPY

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

It Pays To Be Honest(a Short Story) / Ola Rotimi: Google Celebrates Nigerian Playwrighter With A Doodle / Obsessed (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.