Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,907 members, 7,835,023 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:08 AM

Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers (9449 Views)

Nnamdi Kanu To Remain In ThePrison As FG Seeks To Transfer Case To Another Court / EFCC Recovers N38m Bullet-proof SUV From Ex-nimasa DG / South East PDP Caucus Resolves To Remain In Opposition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by Beaf: 2:14pm On Feb 24, 2010
[size=14pt]Nigeria VP to run state affairs as Yar'Adua recovers[/size]
Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:04pm GMT 

ABUJA, Feb 24 (Reuters) - Nigeria's Acting President Goodluck Jonathan will continue to run state affairs while President Umaru Yar'Adua recovers after three months of medical treatment in Saudi Arabia, the presidency said on Wednesday.
"President Yar'Adua wishes to re-assure all Nigerians that on account of their unceasing prayers and by the special grace of God, his health has greatly improved," Yar'Adua's spokesman Olusegun Adeniyi said in a statement.

"However, while the President completes his recuperation, Vice President Jonathan will continue to oversee the affairs of state," the statement said. (For more Reuters Africa coverage and to have your say on the top issues, visit: af.reuters.com/ ) (Reporting by Felix Onuah; Writing by Nick Tattersall)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKLDE61N10620100224
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by Beaf: 2:15pm On Feb 24, 2010
Seriously, we need to see the back of Yar Adua and all the beasts hanging unto his misfortune.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by OAM4J: 2:18pm On Feb 24, 2010
Drama unending.

Jonathan will continue running things as what? Acting president or delegated V.P?
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by otawa: 2:21pm On Feb 24, 2010
Acting president or delegated V.P?

more like delegated VP.

Afterall, Nigerians voted for Yaradua and not GoodLuck!
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by Beaf: 2:23pm On Feb 24, 2010
Yar Adua will soon exit the presidency.
All these things are stunts by the criminal cabal to hold unto their jobs, its the last roll of the dice for the vultures.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by KnowAll(m): 2:26pm On Feb 24, 2010
^^^^^^^^^^

More like Turai would be running things. Jonathan would now have to take briefs from a house wife. How the mighty fallen from top dog in the country to a woman wrapper.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by globalaid(m): 2:26pm On Feb 24, 2010
this is bullshit, what do this people take us for, fool or what. I now believe that they were chased out of Saudi Arabia and he did not come out of his own volition. I think this is the best time to finish the unfinish job once and for all. We dont need a Yaradua that will be teleguiding Jonathan, they should just impeach him for Jonathan to begin afresh. What they want is someone they can be dictating to, someone that will do their bidding.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by otawa: 2:27pm On Feb 24, 2010
All these things are stunts by the criminal cabal to hold unto their jobs, its the last roll of the dice for the vultures.

as long as Yaradua is physically in Nigeria and he could talk, then forget about GoodLuck.

The only option left now is to impeach or kill Yaradua.

The cabal has finally play their JOKER. what a master hand!
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by OAM4J: 2:28pm On Feb 24, 2010
otawa:

more like delegated VP.

If Jonathan is a delegated VP, Yaradua will continue to sign official document from aso rock clinic abi?

Who needs a sick president?

Yaradua should take the part of honour and resign as advised by his godfather.

otawa:

Nigerians voted for both, sorry, both were selected for Nigeria
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by honeric01(m): 2:34pm On Feb 24, 2010
yara dua, please resign for God's sake.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by Beaf: 2:34pm On Feb 24, 2010
otawa:

as long as Yaradua is physically in Nigeria and he could talk, then forget about GoodLuck.

The only option left now is to impeach or kill Yaradua.

The cabal has finally play their JOKER. what a master hand!

Have you seen the amount of communication from the US state dept and Africom on todays development? They don't want Yar Adua's presence fouling any gains Nigeria has made in the past two weeks. They didn't send such a powerful delegation just last week for nothing (Assistant Secretary of the Bureau of African Affairs, Johnnie Carson, Ms Rice, President Bush). Progressive Nigerians can count on a powerful friend.

The cabal just played a joke on themselves. . . It will last as long as this evening, then begin to fade. grin
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by Pharoh: 2:35pm On Feb 24, 2010
Goodluck should not take any fucking order except from a yar adua he can see and hear physically.  angry
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by nduchucks: 2:38pm On Feb 24, 2010
Beaf:

Don't underestimate the political sagacity and genius of certain quarters who are bent on retaining power 2011 and beyond. This return of Yar'Adua was well planned and orchestrated with the full knowledge of Jonathan, George W. Bush, Condolesa (spelling), and other top officials in Nigeria.

I suspect that the whole thing was designed to prevent the invocation of section 144 which would oust Yar'Adua for good. They know that Jonathan is a weaklin that would not have the guts to force the FEC into action while Yar'Adua is in Nigeria.

The only way Yar'Adua leaves office before 2011 is if he dies. From the information I have, the presidential quarters have been well equipped to sustain anyone on life support system for years!

Goodluck Jonathan needs to assert himself immediately by telling the country the true condition of Yar'Adua and by sacking all the members of the kitchen cabinet immediately! Jonathan is still the acting President. Yar'Adua must prove that he is fit and well enough for office before he can take over from Jonathan.

Mallam Goodluck, wey your balls? make you no let Turai and Yar'Adua people control you, or we no go remember you well for history.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by Nobody: 2:38pm On Feb 24, 2010
I do not know what section of the constitution says a dead or incapacitated man can remain in office while allowing someone else either acting on his behalf or delegating authority.

Yar'adua is not President at this time. He just can not sneak back into office.

Whatever the Yar'adua's are looking for, they will now get it.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by kuramo: 2:40pm On Feb 24, 2010
It's now become clearer that for us to move forward as a nation, moribund Yar' Adua has to die.

There is no other way.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by morpheus24: 2:43pm On Feb 24, 2010
Beaf:

Have you seen the amount of communication from the US state dept and Africom on todays development? They don't want Yar Adua's presence fouling any gains Nigeria has made in the past two weeks. They didn't send such a powerful delegation just last week for nothing (Assistant Secretary of the Bureau of African Affairs, Johnnie Carson, Ms Rice, President Bush). Progressive Nigerians can count on a powerful friend.

The cabal just played a joke on themselves. . . It will last as long as this evening, then begin to fade. grin

Unfortunately I don't think they hold much sway as far as this last tactic is concerned. Yardua's presence in the country is a strong play and will both  mobilize the north and undermine Jonathans powers until 2011

I think this game will continue well into next year if they can keep this gimmick up to save their azzez's
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by Nobody: 2:43pm On Feb 24, 2010
All Jonathan needs to sack to stabilise this situation include NSA Sarki Mukhtar and Economic Adviser tanimu Yakubu.

He does not need senate confirmation to replace these folks. With this two sacked, the yar'adua kitchen cabinet will be badly damaged.

He does not need to sack the whole cabinet or dissolve the FEC.

Abba Sayyad Ruma is a small boy who can be managed until he is later sacked.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by saharachic(f): 2:48pm On Feb 24, 2010
this is the most intruiging presidency ever in naija. really interesting,
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by otawa: 2:51pm On Feb 24, 2010
All Jonathan needs to sack to stabilise this situation include NSA Sarki Mukhtar and Economic Adviser tanimu Yakubu.

He does not need senate confirmation to replace these folks. With this two sacked, the yar'adua kitchen cabinet will be badly damaged.

He does not need to sack the whole cabinet or dissolve the FEC.

Abba Sayyad Ruma is a small boy who can be managed until he is later sacked.

You are surely day-dreaming.

So long as Yaradua can SPEAK and recognise people. He does not even need to walk. He has final SAY.

Yaradua is the excutive President of Nigeria!

He can have his cabinet meetings by his 'sick bed side in Aso Rock'
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by Beaf: 2:51pm On Feb 24, 2010
ndu_chucks:

Don't underestimate the political sagacity and genius of certain quarters who are bent on retaining power 2011 and beyond. This return of Yar'Adua was well planned and orchestrated with the full knowledge of Jonathan, George W. Bush, Condolesa (spelling), and other top officials in Nigeria.

I suspect that the whole thing was designed to prevent the invocation of section 144 which would oust Yar'Adua for good. They know that Jonathan is a weaklin that would not have the guts to force the FEC into action while Yar'Adua is in Nigeria.

The only way Yar'Adua leaves office before 2011 is if he dies. From the information I have, the presidential quarters have been well equipped to sustain anyone on life support system for years!

Goodluck Jonathan needs to assert himself immediately by telling the country the true condition of Yar'Adua and by sacking all the members of the kitchen cabinet immediately! Jonathan is still the acting President. Yar'Adua must prove that he is fit and well enough for office before he can take over from Jonathan.

Mallam Goodluck, wey your balls? make you no let Turai and Yar'Adua people control you, or we no go remember you well for history.

I have heard this thing too, that it was actually the US that ochestrated the return of Yar Adua from Saudi (with Obama's say so). But to what end?
Their state dept have made a number of pronouncements on Nigeria today, advicing that nobody takes advantage of yar Adua's presence to forment mischief, Iwu should be sacked and thatthey support Jonathans policies. That makes me feel that their actions are more in line with precipitating section 144 (Yar Adua is right here with us, so there's no withholding access to his true state of health), but I can't be sure.

As to the bit about Jonathan, I agree with reservations. His actions will depend on what he knows and his style of keeping his thoughts in the shadows; if this plays against him we will surely remember him very poorly.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by morpheus24: 3:02pm On Feb 24, 2010
otawa:

You are surely day-dreaming.

So long as Yaradua can SPEAK and recognise people. He does not even need to walk. He has final SAY.

Yaradua is the excutive President of Nigeria!

He can have his cabinet meetings by his 'sick bed side in Aso Rock'

I weep for Nigeria with people like you who don't demonstrate the capacity to reason with common sense.

How can a sick/dying man rule a country with over 150million people.

How can a president not be physiclly seen for close to 100 days

how can a president sneak into his own country in the middle of the night with no formal announcement

You call this actions justifiable by one who has executive authority over Nigeria.

I wish i had the means to fight guerilla warfare. I would be plotting one now.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by Nobody: 3:03pm On Feb 24, 2010
ndu_chucks:

[b]Goodluck Jonathan needs to assert himself immediately by telling the country the true condition of Yar'Adua and by sacking all the members of the kitchen cabinet immediately! [/b]Jonathan is still the acting President. Yar'Adua must prove that he is fit and well enough for office before he can take over from Jonathan.

He cant do that anymore since the substantive President is back in the country; Yar'adua never formally communicated his incapacity to the relevant quarters anyway. The lawmakers are about to get extremely rich courtesy of Turai, who will continue to stuff their mouths with 'hush money' up until 2011, to forestall impeachment. Yaradua should have been impeached a long time ago, I suspect the lawmakers have been heavily on the take soon after that mothaf***** disappeared last year. Even Obasanjo couldnt have stayed away for that long the Arewas would have kicked him out. But this is one of their own. Bunch of fa.ggo.ts.

The legality or otherwise of Jonathan's acting presidency is already before the law courts, expect the Turai camp to buy a favourable judgement on that case. Jonathan might even be impeached, to be replaced by their own creature so they further can consolidate their hold on power. Yaradua will remain on that deathbed till the end of his tenure while only his inner caucus purport to be seeing him doing exercises, jogging, etc on a daily basis. Turai would continue forging signatures, pulling the strings of all those men of straw (Aondoakaa, Tanimu, Sarki Mukhtar) as and when applicable.

Meanwhile Turai, in almost total control of the security & political apparati (the so called PDP chieftains are all pu.ssies, they cant face up to her) will install her creature as President in 2011. She might even get to be VP, who knows.   smiley
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by nduchucks: 3:04pm On Feb 24, 2010
Beaf:

I have heard this thing too, that it was actually the US that ochestrated the return of Yar Adua from Saudi (with Obama's say so). But to what end?
Their state dept have made a number of pronouncements on Nigeria today, advicing that nobody takes advantage of yar Adua's presence to forment mischief, Iwu should be sacked and thatthey support Jonathans policies. That makes me feel that their actions are more in line with precipitating section 144 (Yar Adua is right here with us, so there's no withholding access to his true state of health), but I can't be sure.
As to the bit about Jonathan, I agree with reservations. His actions will depend on what he knows and his style of keeping his thoughts in the shadows; if this plays against him we will surely remember him very poorly.

Beaf, If the president is ill and he communicates with aprliament that he is going away for treatment, section 145 kicks in until the president returns fully recovered.  That is where we are - as long as the man is in Nigeria and receiving treatment, I don't think the current FEC will vote that he is incapacitated, forcing section 144 to kick in.

Jonathan Goodluck, now armed with the information that Yar'Adua himself is not physically able to take over, can replace those ministers that are not in line with his vision.  He needs to do this in the next few days if he has any guts.

I'm glad that Yar'Adua is recovering, may God heal the man. He is being used without regard to his well being - what a pity.

@ziddy, Don't forget that executive authority lies with Jonathan at the moment. He has the keys to CBN volts.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by naijaswag1: 3:05pm On Feb 24, 2010
Beaf:

[size=14pt]Nigeria VP to run state affairs as Yar'Adua recovers[/size]
Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:04pm GMT  

ABUJA, Feb 24 (Reuters) - Nigeria's Acting President Goodluck Jonathan will continue to run state affairs while President Umaru Yar'Adua recovers after three months of medical treatment in Saudi Arabia, the presidency said on Wednesday.
"President Yar'Adua wishes to re-assure all Nigerians that on account of their unceasing prayers and by the special grace of God, his health has greatly improved," Yar'Adua's spokesman Olusegun Adeniyi said in a statement.

"However, while the President completes his recuperation, Vice President Jonathan will continue to oversee the affairs of state," the statement said. (For more Reuters Africa coverage and to have your say on the top issues, visit: af.reuters.com/ ) (Reporting by Felix Onuah; Writing by Nick Tattersall)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKLDE61N10620100224
Three months treatment,three months recovery for 2011 re-election.How bout that.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by mogentle(m): 3:20pm On Feb 24, 2010
otawa:

Error!!! This is fallacy of Ignorantium Adomine

@ otawa, No presidential candidate without a vice presidential candidate, So the two of them were elected together.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by debosky(m): 3:47pm On Feb 24, 2010
If Jonathan remains in charge, he can only be in charge as acting president.

Jonathan needs to make sure he exercises his powers FULLY right now - if no letter is transmitted to the National Assembly declaring Yar'adua is fit to return as president then Jonathan remains the acting president.

It's a pity this whole thing has turned into a cloak and daggers mystery.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by Fhemmmy: 3:48pm On Feb 24, 2010
This is a drama that will be good only at Nollywood, cos this is a drama.
So how would he run things when, the president will be looking over his shoulder, when the president will be the one to tell him what to do and when to do it.
By the way, what would his post be now?
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by Fhemmmy: 3:49pm On Feb 24, 2010
debosky:

If Jonathan remains in charge, he can only be in charge as acting president.

Jonathan needs to make sure he exercises his powers FULLY right now - if no letter is transmitted to the National Assembly declaring Yar'adua is fit to return as president then Jonathan remains the acting president.

It's a pity this whole thing has turned into a cloak and daggers mystery.

They had the opportunity to have done that, while he was out of the nation for that long, but now that he is back in the nation, nothing can be done, dont forget that money is the password.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by Beaf: 3:52pm On Feb 24, 2010
Fhemmmy:

They had the opportunity to have done that, while he was out of the nation for that long, but now that he is back in the nation, nothing can be done, dont forget that money is the password.

. . .As acting president, Jonathan controls the money, even Yar Adua can't challenge him right now.
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by Ben13: 3:53pm On Feb 24, 2010
Who is giving these orders?
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by Fhemmmy: 3:53pm On Feb 24, 2010
Beaf:

. . .Jonathan controls the money.

Remember that Jonathan is yet to get rid of some of the Ministers and die hard fan of Yaradua? and most will do anything to save face
Re: Jonathan To Remain In Charge While Yar'adua Recovers by Nobody: 3:54pm On Feb 24, 2010
Everything will soon be ok in Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FG Sacks 23 Warders & Suspends 11 Others Due To Recent Prison Break / Albert Obazee Turns Racist Asking An Igbo Hawker To Go To His State / Breaking News: Igwe Aguleri Killed By Unknown Gunmen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.