Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,174 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects (8030 Views)

7 Mistakes That Can Ruin Your Job Interview / 4 Reasons You Don't Get Interviews After Your Job Applications / 7 Quick Tips : When Sending Your Job Application. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by insidifyguru: 2:10pm On Sep 06, 2017
Looking for a job is never easy. You must put yourself out there, be open to criticism and try to see how you appear to other people. The good news is that there are always improvements that can be made to boost your chances of getting a job.

Here are four ways to help improve your job prospects for the better.

1. Make Your Résumé Work for You

Before any prospective employer meets you, they’ll see your résumé first. While it will certainly include your skills, educational background and other personal information, it should also be seen as relevant to the sector. Depending on the type of job that you’re applying for, it’s possible that certain skills or interests are helpful to include, which this type of employer is certain to look out for. Update your résumé to ensure it taps into the interest of the employer, but that it’s also accurate and up-to-date too. Also, check thoroughly for any grammar or spelling mistakes.

2. Business Cards at the Ready

Not only are personal business cards useful to hand out at job fairs and random meetings with prospects, but they’re useful to clip onto the top of a resume when sending one out. It adds that touch of professionalism and provides a quick way for staff to keep your details handy.

A free business card maker can help you pick a card size and design, add an image, and add some relevant information about yourself. You can then print out the final version. A print shop can easily take the last version and run off a couple hundred business cards for you, or you can print them on your home printer.

3. Hone Up Your Interview Skills

Many jobs get won or lost at the interview stage. You may not be a people person, but you still need to come across well to either the department head or the member of the human resources team. There are certain typical questions asked in an interview, which it’s a good idea to know how to answer ahead of time. Questions like, “What interests you about this job?” or “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?” are the types of things you should be prepared to answer.

Also, consider what questions you would like to ask in a first or second interview stage. It’s always good to learn more about a prospective employer, and it shows interest and initiative.

4. Be Presentable

Looking the part is as important as being able to talk the talk. What’s your dress sense like? Do you need a little help picking out a dress shirt and tie, or a blouse that goes well with your business suit? If you’re looking to impress, then consider going shopping for something more modern. Take along a friend who’s got a good eye for fashion and see if they can help you pick out something appropriate.

Getting the job is all about putting your best foot forward. Show some initiative by learning about the company ahead of time and looking the part when you go for the interview.

https://discovery.insidify.com/4-ways-to-improve-your-job-prospects

Kindly share this post if you found it useful

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by Nobody: 2:11pm On Sep 06, 2017
Most times I think it's down to luck. Or let me simply put, "natural selection."

Some graduate with average results without "connection" and get a job few months after youth service.

Some are not so lucky, get desirable results but due to one reason or the other find it tough in landing a profitable source of income.

Baba God, please under whatever circumstances, let the tide turn in my favour. Selah.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by Nobody: 5:10pm On Sep 06, 2017
Just have a good head on your shoulder

Be smart

Be on the look out for new opportunities

always sharpen your skills and read about your field

Hang out with people who will give you advise on the right path to take. Hang out with serious minded individuals and remember socializing sometimes bring us the best

4 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by chinoxstock: 5:11pm On Sep 06, 2017
SMH
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by devigblegble: 5:13pm On Sep 06, 2017
I'd like to put on native dress to an interview, how cool is that

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by Nobody: 5:13pm On Sep 06, 2017
No job and you are talking about business cards

- The unemployment level in Nigeria is extreme cry cry
- What is to be written on the business card? "I am Jobless fellow" or what?

Nonsense post
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by Yewandequeen(f): 5:14pm On Sep 06, 2017
You can be the right candidate but if the job is not urs then it's not yours even when you speak like wole soyinka and dress like emoney.

Just do ur best and leave the rest for God.

4 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by Tamakay(m): 5:15pm On Sep 06, 2017
When I was in the market, I was more serious with number 4, connections and God's favour

1 Like

Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by jericco1(m): 5:20pm On Sep 06, 2017
Yea. Could work
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by Pinkieblue(f): 5:24pm On Sep 06, 2017
Yewandequeen:
You can be the right candidate but if the job is not urs then it's not your even when you speak like wole soyinka and dress like emoney.

Lol.... Very funny.... Wole Soyinka and emoney..... I can't stop laughing.... This nairaland people sha

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by Yewandequeen(f): 5:27pm On Sep 06, 2017
Pinkieblue:

Lol.... Very funny.... Wole Soyinka and emoney..... I can't stop laughing.... This nairaland people sha

Did I say anything?
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by brain54(m): 5:28pm On Sep 06, 2017
Evaberry:
lol
how do you do that...your on every thread...
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by Mikee7(m): 5:28pm On Sep 06, 2017
Don't forget having many friends in high places grin grin
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by olipee(m): 5:30pm On Sep 06, 2017
Thanks OP and Please guys what's résumé?

2 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by obicaddy(m): 5:39pm On Sep 06, 2017
I went for an interview 2 days ago and I must confess it wasn't easy. I was summoned into the interview hall to be faced with stern looking 7 man panel for the interview. On getting in, I was questioned about my dressing. My only offence was that my shirt was buttoned-up to the last button. In my mind I was like WTF cos to me when has buttoning up to the last button become a problem, so I let it slide.
On getting to the interview proper, I was asked series of questions both related and unrelated to the Job I applied for. To be frank, some of the questions I was asked were questions that on a normal day I'll confidently answer but due to anxiety I goofed at them. Although its my first time and I learnt from it.

4 Likes

Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by MagReuby(m): 5:40pm On Sep 06, 2017
Other ways include:

1. Use of search agents or join a WhatsApp group for job postings (so you'd automatically be aware of new job postings)

2. Be visible in your field. Consider blogging, social selling with linkedin, presenting papers at conferences, being active in professional associations etc.

3. Have a good system to track contacts and jobs you have applied to.

4. Get support from friends and family as you go through the search.

5. Create a positive attitude!

6. Review the videos listed in number 5 of this thread if you want to take your job search to a great level and boost your chances.

https://www.nairaland.com/3828238/learn-advanced-excel-java-etc

Best wishes.
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by peterDiamond(m): 5:59pm On Sep 06, 2017
Yewandequeen:
You can be the right candidate but if the job is not urs then it's not yours even when you speak like wole soyinka and dress like emoney.

Nice reply..and I must confess you look good...can we see when next I come to IB?
Getting a job in Nigeria is all about CONNECTION SIMPLY ..

MAY GOD CONNECT US ON TIME
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by MagReuby(m): 6:44pm On Sep 06, 2017
peterDiamond:

Nice reply..and I must confess you look good...can we see when next I come to IB?
Getting a job in Nigeria is all about CONNECTION SIMPLY ..

MAY GOD CONNECT US ON TIME

As true as this may be, people still get jobs daily in Nigeria without having connection.
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by donfemo(m): 6:52pm On Sep 06, 2017
Be on the lookout for opportunities, be smart. Have in mind that who ever is interviewing you is answerable to someone else and is human. Be confident but not over confident.
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by Lovintus2(m): 8:14pm On Sep 06, 2017
Nice

In other news: Please subscribe to my YouTube channel for my comedy skits. #Lovintus Entertainment
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by juniorboy(m): 8:28pm On Sep 06, 2017
brain54:
how do you do that...your on every thread...
LOL, I surprise o
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by juniorboy(m): 8:37pm On Sep 06, 2017
obicaddy:
I went for an interview 2 days ago and I must confess it wasn't easy. I was summoned into the interview hall to be faced with stern looking 7 man panel for the interview. On getting in, I was questioned about my dressing. My only offence was that my shirt was buttoned-up to the last button. In my mind I was like WTF cos to me when has buttoning up to the last button become a problem, so I let it slide.
On getting to the interview proper, I was asked series of questions both related and unrelated to the Job I applied for. To be frank, some of the questions I was asked were questions that on a normal day I'll confidently answer but due to anxiety I goofed at them. Although its my first time and I learnt from it.

What questions were thrown to you pertaining the "unrelated to the job"?
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by joinnow: 8:41pm On Sep 06, 2017
Must you look for job
Cannot you create one
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by hadayleke(m): 9:28pm On Sep 06, 2017
obicaddy:

Next time b4 going for an interview... Get a bit high... Don't get drunk. Thank me later
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by Nobody: 9:57pm On Sep 06, 2017
Write professional courses to support your degree.
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by Nobody: 10:00pm On Sep 06, 2017
joinnow:
Must you look for job
Cannot you create one
How will you create a job if you don't have the money?
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by Welcomme: 10:16pm On Sep 06, 2017
Pls house, is it a bad idea if one calls the organization to know if they have chosen those that they need? If yes, pls how do I say it that will sound presentable to them. Thanks
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by adeoba2008(m): 8:21am On Sep 07, 2017
Interview is all about who who you know as well. I can also say if you have a blog it can help alot . I got my new job through my blog. A blog can be a proof that you are professional in your own right. More so never try to impress anyone. If you dont have an answer to a particular question. Just say NO.
Re: 4 Ways To Improve Your Job Prospects by obicaddy(m): 9:21am On Sep 07, 2017
hadayleke:

Next time b4 going for an interview... Get a bit high... Don't get drunk. Thank me later
Thanks Man! I'll put that into consideration.

(1) (Reply)

Work Force Virtual Interview Invite / Contract Job With Total (200k) Vs Masters In The Uk: Which Do U Prefer? / ICT Helpdesk Technicians Needed At WHO Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.