Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,344 members, 7,954,399 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 06:09 PM

First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively (26755 Views)

Was My Boss Right For Sacking Me Because I Was Hypotized. / CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval / Globacom Denies Sacking Female Staff Due To Marital Status (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by Lusile(m): 9:50am On Sep 09, 2017
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by amicable09(f): 12:21am
Hi OP, I understand your plight perfectly well and I wish to sympathize with you based on what you or others may be going through at this time.

Contract staffing is very much recognized and advised in banking and it is supported by Central Bank. It's not a practice that started today though, it's an age old practice. In every banking hall, there MUST be a certain number of people who are to be employed as contract staff and another fraction who must be core staff and the roles these different sets of people play is well defined by the regulatory body.

Whether good or bad, depends on the organization where you find yourself. I don't want to talk about how they are treated or how they are disengaged, I however want to talk about what I've observed in some.

You know about age requirement in banking and you know that CBN has an approved age a staff can be at a level. For instance, I see some 30 year olds as Executive Trainees in a bank either as a core staff or as a contract staff, I find this totally worrisome! And it's not like it isn't obvious to these people, they think it's okay to be at that level at that age and make excuses for their banks saying "promotion window has been shut for sometime now". If the window is shut, did they also shut the doors? CBN frowns at having bankers who are trying to make the profession look like a joke. In fact, right now, at a certain level in banking if you are not a member of CIBN you are only cheating yourself.

Again, most contract staff are OND and HND holders, some join banking between the ages of 26 & 28, they start earning and forget about upgrading and the ones who remember to upgrade academically, start at age 30 - 35. The question I'm tempted to ask is, does the person want to be a GM at 70?

How about those who have first degree and fall within the right age bracket, you may want to know. I say to those ones, port! The maximum anyone should spend in a position in banking is 3 years. If you find yourself stagnant where you are, develop yourself and move. Look around you, ask most senior management staff who have over 10 years industry experience about their career and at least 80% of them will tell you they've worked in at least 3-5 banks before they got to where they now are. Be wise too, help yourself. Your career is in your hands.

A lot of contract staff make this mistake until they become unemployable and the system is forced to remove and replace them. I can say it isn't fair but they many times put themselves in the position to be exploited.

I know a handful of guys who from contract staff got converted to professional staff. I've heard of many others who sadly, were asked to leave. Don't let it get to you, like someone told me recently, 'if you know what you're doing in banking, when you leave banking, you should know where the money is in the economy'.

In other words, you've been exposed to businesses and business owners, you should be able to tell your next direction of focus after you've shaken off the 'cruelty' of a system you were loyal to.

Now that you're here, what next?
Soldier come, Soldier go, barrack remain.

Wish First bank well and leave. After five years, if you channel your energy right, they'll come market you. Good position
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by tabaski: 10:19am On Sep 09, 2017
This need to be stopped and FBN should be made to pay dearly for this also all disengaged staff should urgently start de marketing them. Atleast they should be made to pay reasonable amount to start their lives. Nonsense!
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by DJperdurabo: 10:19am On Sep 09, 2017
generalpipe47:
When una go dey form fresh, dey drive corolla sports, dey sleep with our future wives up and down, u no no say dem go sack una..

Hahahaha...hehehehe...hahahaha
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by lloyds(m): 10:49am On Sep 09, 2017
My brother, you can't take any legal action against them. They have a right to disengage. Just check your offer letter.
I worked in a bank before and experienced similar stuff. Don't put your hope in any organisation but in God. Pay your tithes and first fruits always and check gifts/skills you have that you can use for earning a living.
There is always hope ahead.

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by 400billionman: 11:15am On Sep 09, 2017
kennygee:

Where is the opportunity to upgrade?

They work till late. They don't have time to go to school. Even on weekends, they are either on one compulsory training or on ATM duty.

Don't mind them. How do you expect someone who gets to office before 7am and and leaves office 7pm to upgrade his studies or qualifications ? Saturdays, you attend trainings. You gasp for breath on Sundays, cook, wash and iron your clothes. Attending church is a luxury.

The Nigerian banking system is a hypocritical circus where the strength of the youth is milked in a system which favors the top management cadre..

Yes, banks have developed ways of making money and thus they can pay well but their workers are slaves.
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by Rozaytee: 11:27am On Sep 09, 2017
The best things in dis dumb country now is just to be self-employed

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by seangy4konji: 11:27am On Sep 09, 2017
The kevel weh u deh be like you want ve with woman or Olonsho.

1)short time deh.(pay is small and na do quick comot)ma gbeni wa.

2)till day break)you can carry matress and sleep. Gbeni wa but by morning.ko kangara. Na full staff be that.

3)marry Olonsho.(create job for yourself.)na to knack am till eternity we prick self no hard again.

I guess na short time u deh.ko lo titi.
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by Nobody: 11:53am On Sep 09, 2017
In this part of the world, always expect the unexpected.

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by LorDBolton(m): 12:28pm On Sep 09, 2017
amicable09:
Hi OP, I understand your plight perfectly well and I wish to sympathize with you based on what you or others may be going through at this time.

Contract staffing is very much recognized and advised in banking and it is supported by Central Bank. It's not a practice that started today though, it's an age old practice. In every banking hall, there MUST be a certain number of people who are to be employed as contract staff and another fraction who must be core staff and the roles these different sets of people play is well defined by the regulatory body.

Whether good or bad, depends on the organization where you find yourself. I don't want to talk about how they are treated or how they are disengaged, I however want to talk about what I've observed in some.

You know about age requirement in banking and you know that CBN has an approved age a staff can be at a level. For instance, I see some 30 year olds as Executive Trainees in a bank either as a core staff or as a contract staff, I find this totally worrisome! And it's not like it isn't obvious to these people, they think it's okay to be at that level at that age and make excuses for their banks saying "promotion window has been shut for sometime now". If the window is shut, did they also shut the doors? CBN frowns at having bankers who are trying to make the profession look like a joke. In fact, right now, at a certain level in banking if you are not a member of CIBN you are only cheating yourself.

Again, most contract staff are OND and HND holders, some join banking between the ages of 26 & 28, they start earning and forget about upgrading and the ones who remember to upgrade academically, start at age 30 - 35. The question I'm tempted to ask is, does the person want to be a GM at 70?

How about those who have first degree and fall within the right age bracket, you may want to know. I say to those ones, port! The maximum anyone should spend in a position in banking is 3 years. If you find yourself stagnant where you are, develop yourself and move. Look around you, ask most senior management staff who have over 10 years industry experience about their career and at least 80% of them will tell you they've worked in at least 3-5 banks before they got to where they now are. Be wise too, help yourself. Your career is in your hands.

A lot of contract staff make this mistake until they become unemployable and the system is forced to remove and replace them. I can say it isn't fair but they many times put themselves in the position to be exploited.

I know a handful of guys who from contract staff got converted to professional staff. I've heard of many others who sadly, were asked to leave. Don't let it get to you, like someone told me recently, 'if you know what you're doing in banking, when you leave banking, you should know where the money is in the economy'.

In other words, you've been exposed to businesses and business owners, you should be able to tell your next direction of focus after you've shaken off the 'cruelty' of a system you were loyal to.

Wish First bank well and leave. After five years, if you channel your energy right, they'll come market you cheesy

Excellent write up...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by mayorchelsea(m): 12:34pm On Sep 09, 2017
Klimaths:
please you really don't have to say that OK, maybe you think you can opt out for business after graduation but were are the capital to start up business . if it does not affect you it will affect you siblings and friends or relatives.
Please do not get me wrong. I'm not affected and luckily, no relative is affected too.My point is,a contract staff knows the terms and conditions of the job and knows sudden termination of employment is always imminent.Some worked as contract staff for five years without tangible savings or backup plan knowing the nature of the job and when it happens, they remember NLC or labour laws. We have to be realistic and not idealistic.

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by r2beez(m): 12:57pm On Sep 09, 2017
generalpipe47:
When una go dey form fresh, dey drive corolla sports, dey sleep with our future wives up and down, u no no say dem go sack una..

Who offend u make we go beg am. grin

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by remonics: 1:04pm On Sep 09, 2017
amicable09:

Wish First bank well and leave. After five years, if you channel your energy right, they'll come market you cheesy
. hmmmm, the opinion of an elderly man,full of experience. God bless you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by ladgentle(m): 1:12pm On Sep 09, 2017
NigeriaKitchen:
Nigeria is too big as a black nation to be governed by one man. Nigeria needs to be decentralized for things to work. We are black people....we aren't organized like whites to maintain and run a successful country considering how big and diversed we are.

Nigeria needs to function as a united regions just as we have USA, UAE, United Kingdom, etc.

Nigeria will work better if we restructure Nigeria to become United Regions of Africa; URA. With each region having their own Police, state laws and Premiere and then we have council of premieres comprising the 6 premieres from Northeast, Northwest, North central, Southwest, Southeast, South south and then we can then have one prime minister to act as the president or leader of Nigerian central government and his job will be mostly about foreign policies, national security.

With this system, government and development can get to grassroots and every region and tribe will hold their premiere responsible for not developing their region.

This will lessen the so much burden on the federal government.

As for natural resources like crude oil, all oil producing states can be made to remit say 45% of their revenue from crude oil to the central government and from that 45% revenue, there will be a certain % mapped for the development and assistance of States with less or no natural resources to ensure they develop equally like other states with abundant mineral resources.

This will kill tribalism and religious nepotism among Nigerian leaders and presidents and Nigeria will begin to work like a normal nation like Europe and Asia if not, Nigeria will continue to lag behind in the comity of nations till Jesus comes cry

I love this your submission. I wish other proponents of restructuring can be this explicit.

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by salford1: 2:24pm On Sep 09, 2017
Nutase:
angry embarassed.
This country is a joke. Small Gambia has better labour laws than Nigeria. Nigerian banks operating there are very careful and can't try this kind of thing there.
This practice is also common in developed countries not just Nigeria. I have seen it happen in the UK and Canada. Banks making use of contract staff to reduce labour cost. Some would even outsource jobs to india or the philipines cos of cheap labour. Nigeria actually learnt from developed countries.
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by sirgtroger: 4:38pm On Sep 09, 2017
Hhhmmmmm! I never knew they would still sack, a friend gisted me about a restaurant he went to eat and overheard some managers talked about the plan of new CEO to do away with contract staff and bring in new ones, pay old ones off with 15-20k.

Some young ones are in my area that are currently to be employed by this first Bank, I think I will draw this to their attention.
This is disheartening, even as old as union Bank is, it just converted most of its contract staff with less stringent requirements.

First Bank is there sacking upandan

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by Juliette05(f): 5:13pm On Sep 09, 2017
[quote author=amicable09 post=60278675]
It's banking we are talking about here. If I don't quote CBN, who then should I quote?

Juliette [/quote what CBN Law states that of age?

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by Nobody: 7:07pm On Sep 09, 2017
I know I contract staff where I work, married with kids.
He comes to work by 6am, he lays out his ICAN books and read his ass off. By 7:30am he is done, he works round the clock with smiles on his face.
By 6pm, he is back to reading. He studies till 8pm, and then leaves...

He joined as an OND , earning 50k per month, he left the Bank last year to work where he earns 250k per month, before leaving he got his project mgt certificate. ICAN, BSc in BIz admin @unilag and was starting his MSc...
On leaving he received 3 recommendations from his bosses, and the department contributed roughly 300k for him as parting gift.
I understand life can be hard and difficult. But whatever your hand findeth to do, do it with all your heart, .. Be diligent , you may think people don't watch but they do, they see how u behave, your attitude and dedication.

Stop complaining, start doing stuff. One day at a time, be committed and passionate and the reward would come.
If you want to be happy... Be!..

4 Likes

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by emerich(m): 8:42pm On Sep 09, 2017
amicable09:

Brilliance at it's Peak, best write-up I had read on nairaland in a very long while....

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by Moahmed: 9:51pm On Sep 09, 2017
[quote author=mayorchelsea post=60284193]Please do not get me wrong. I'm not affected and luckily, no relative is affected too.My point is,a contract staff knows the terms and conditions of the job and knows sudden termination of employment is always imminent.Some worked as contract staff for five years without tangible savings or backup plan knowing the nature of the job and when it happens, they remember NLC or labour laws. We have to be realistic and not idealistic.[/quote

I can authouritatively tell you that non of the present crop of out sourced employed by Fbn knows the terms and conditions of their service.

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by nnamoe(m): 12:56pm On Sep 19, 2017
Sacking and bringing in people without them undergoing induction training.they are removing the elders and bringing young ones without training them.OLUWA IS IN HEAVEN WATCHING.well God knows the best.when a door closes many more will surely open with faith in God.IT IS. WELL

1 Like

Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by nnamoe(m): 12:59pm On Sep 19, 2017
Sacking and bringing in people without them undergoing induction training.they are removing the elders and bringing young ones without training them.OLUWA IS IN HEAVEN WATCHING.well ,God knows the best.when a door closes many more will surely open with faith in God.IT IS. WELL
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by nnamoe(m): 12:59pm On Sep 19, 2017
Sacking and bringing in people without them undergoing induction training.they are removing the elders and bringing young ones without training them.OLUWA IS IN HEAVEN WATCHING.well ,God knows the best.when a door closes many more will surely open with faith in God.IT IS WELL.
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by karyurdey(m): 5:39am On Sep 24, 2017
seunmi4real:
A lot of their staff already acquire additional qualification(s) and recently they were ask to update them and immediately there was a slight increment in the salary.
The next thing that happens was a massive sacking.
I think the best thing is anywhere we her contract we should have it in mind that its a short time service.

Are you still in the system ?
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by mrdankonxept: 8:16pm On Sep 24, 2017
We they had a gt recruitment on going since 2016, any oldie should understand dey deff have to create room to accommodate these newbies.

Am so sorry for the victims, am also seated on my can of worm
Re: First Bank, Whtycleon Sacking Staff Massively by holuwhagbenga(m): 1:34am On Sep 25, 2017
Same thing happens to me few months ago when my appointment got terminated few weeks to my wedding after working for 4 years as a contract staff... #NigeriaIsAJoke

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Things That Can Make You Self-employed In Nigeria / 7 Easy-to-learn Skills You Can Use To Work From Home / President Buhari Nominates 42 Ambassadors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.