Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,748 members, 7,820,584 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:35 PM

Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu (12980 Views)

Top Current Car Brands And Their Country Of Origin / Car Logo Game: Tell Us The Names Of These Car Brands Using Their Logos Only / 28 Car Brands And The Year They Were Founded - Innoson Will Shock You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 10:57am On Sep 09, 2017
kolaaderin:

You can lie for Africa. It may be expensive to fix but not $20,000. Its no Bugatti.

Oya knock urself out.

Do u think exotic car owners don't have sense putting around 2-3,000 miles in their cars a year? It is because they are expensive to fix. U can easily get a 30 yr old McLaren or Ferrari with less than 20,000 miles on it's odometer but u can hardly get a 10 yr old Camry with less than 100,000 miles on it's odometer. It is in this part of the world that someone will buy an expensive exotic car and use it as a daily driver and when it starts giving problem they abandon it.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by komekn(m): 11:56am On Sep 09, 2017
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by komekn(m): 11:57am On Sep 09, 2017
SenorFax:
You self look at the these monsters, where you wan get the parts??

It's an ICT world and e-business makes the world so much smaller. The oil to make it all work is supply chain and logistics management.

That's why I can buy the most obscure and unpopular car in Nigeria, yet quality vehicle. Within 72hrs I can order OEM parts and have them delivered to me from most parts of the World. Shockingly much cheaper than tokunboh parts available at Owode and or the myriad of fake substandard new parts, especially for Toyota Honda and Nissan vehicles.

3 Likes

Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by yek: 12:06pm On Sep 09, 2017
kolaaderin:

You can lie for Africa. It may be expensive to fix but not $20,000. Its no Bugatti.

oya anser greenhulk na
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by yek: 12:12pm On Sep 09, 2017
Personally i feel these exotic vehicular liabilities are not built for proper "work horse" use but for SHOW and chasing contracts. . .
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by dabraska: 12:18pm On Sep 09, 2017
greenhulk:

U r right but there's no point buying what someone cannot maintain. Lots of range rovers abandoned in mechanic workshops because apart from the fact that the mechanics have limited knowledge, the owners also so not have the money to ship the parts, because if they do what stops them from taking the cars to coscharis so they can give them bills running into millions.

Do u know the brake pads of Mercedes Benz SLR costs $20,000 to replace? That's more than the price of a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic just for break pads. Will u own that kind of car and use it as a daily driver?

Very correct. Why would you buy a range rover if you know you cannot maintain it? I actually was referring to japanese competitors on the same level. A mercedes SLR is a super car and costs about triple the price of a corolla. Of course, maintainance will be very expensive. Lets talk about car brands in the same price range that are far superior to japanese cars in terms of features and driving experience. I'll have you know that the rate of cars that stay at the mechanics workshop will reduce drastically if the mechanics just know how to fix the exact faults and not do trial and error on them.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by SenorFax(m): 1:02pm On Sep 09, 2017
komekn:

It's an ICT world and e-business makes the world so much smaller. The oil to make it all work is supply chain and logistics management.

That's why I can buy the most obscure and unpopular car in Nigeria, yet quality vehicle. Within 72hrs I can order OEM parts and have them delivered to me from most parts of the World. Shockingly much cheaper than tokunboh parts available at Owode and or the myriad of fake substandard new parts, especially for Toyota Honda and Nissan vehicles.
Anyone can buy the parts, any mechanic can't fix them. Just try and risk your Ferrari with any local mechanic, you go hear am
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 1:29pm On Sep 09, 2017
dabraska:

Very correct. Why would you buy a range rover if you know you cannot maintain it? I actually was referring to japanese competitors on the same level. A mercedes SLR is a super car and costs about triple the price of a corolla. Of course, maintainance will be very expensive. Lets talk about car brands in the same price range that are far superior to japanese cars in terms of features and driving experience. I'll have you know that the rate of cars that stay at the mechanics workshop will reduce drastically if the mechanics just know how to fix the exact faults and not do trial and error on them.

I understand what u mean. It's more of a matter of trying to be on a safer side, only few people wants to take risks. Do u blame them? Hell no.... Because it's their money. U can't tell someone what to buy with his own money. Those Japs have a long standing record for reliability.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 1:42pm On Sep 09, 2017
greenhulk:

Word. Even in advanced countries like the US majority still buy Toyotas. Just check out their sales figures especially in the used car market. Those expensive cars are left for the dealerships to fix, so what then happens when cars are out of warranty? They sell them and buy the newer model. And the huge repair bills are left for the 2nd or 3rd owners mostly Nigerians that ship them here.

VW has a higher sale than Toyota. But in Nigeria VW is mainly used by transporters. It's because you are too lazy to read, you this folofolo "toyotans"
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 1:50pm On Sep 09, 2017
InvertedHammer:
A seemingly little thing like finding brake pads on some cars is a problem.
Why would anyone go through that hassle? Take a trip to mechanic workshops in your area, there are newer cars that look abandoned by owners because the spare parts have to be shipped from abroad. If the locals stock such parts, there is not enough turnover to make it profitable. There are some cars the owners dare not drive to their villages because there are no parts or knowledgeable mechanics to fix them.

Even the so-called "big men" have their fair share of trials and tribulations to get their cars working efficiently.
/
Which brand brake-pad are you looking for? Is land rover, bmw or mercedes?? You guys just write whatever comes to una head.. You need to stop believing those local mechanic and do some research on your own. Even the toyotas, they can't fix! Lazy people everywhere.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 1:53pm On Sep 09, 2017
luxy44:

VW has a higher sale than Toyota. But in Nigeria VW is mainly used by transporters. It's because you are too lazy to read, you this folofolo "toyotans"

Thank u, but I've never even owned a Toyota lol.

Oh... For the records Toyota still sold 1.1 million cars more than VW in 2016.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 1:54pm On Sep 09, 2017
greenhulk:

Word. Even in advanced countries like the US majority still buy Toyotas. Just check out their sales figures especially in the used car market. Those expensive cars are left for the dealerships to fix, so what then happens when cars are out of warranty? They sell them and buy the newer model. And the huge repair bills are left for the 2nd or 3rd owners mostly Nigerians that ship them here.

What of advanced countries like UK, France, Germany, Switzerland?? Do they stick to Toyotas too?
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 1:58pm On Sep 09, 2017
greenhulk:

Thank u, but I've never even owned a Toyota lol.

Oh... For the records Toyota still sold 1.1 million cars more than VW in 2016.

Is VW common on Nigeria roads like Toyota considering the closed margin in the sales? It is very funny how the "Kazeems" will decide our brand of car, after our years of education.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by obekediamondfuto(m): 2:03pm On Sep 09, 2017
lonelydora:
Our Kazeems only know their way around Toyota cars.

exactly the point I've been trying to make all this while. and if u discover that u r in an environment dominated by kazeems with little or no experts around, go with the flow.

when in Rome, behave like the Romans, buy and drive the cats they drive for reasons stated above. else u might have to start importing parts and also importing experts.

long term effect is u spend more for less.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 2:16pm On Sep 09, 2017
luxy44:

What of advanced countries like UK, France, Germany, Switzerland?? Do they stick to Toyotas too?

United States, Canada are huge market for Toyota. They are underdeveloped countries ba?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by InvertedHammer: 2:18pm On Sep 09, 2017
luxy44:

Which brand brake-pad are you looking for? Is land rover, bmw or mercedes?? You guys just write whatever comes to una head.. You need to stop believing those local mechanic and do some research on your own. Even the toyotas, they can't fix! Lazy people everywhere.

If you live in Lagos, that's ok. I have had minor issues and been temporarily stranded in Ekwulobia, Lokoja and Abuja (of all places). In 2011, my car was left in a hotel in Abuja for almost a week until a replacement gearbox was brought from Lagos. The guy they claimed to be the best around the Central district wasn't of much help either. It was one "Kazeem" of a guy with my technical knowledge + google + youtube that got the car going.
There are some problems even the so-called dealership cannot fix after repeated visits in the western world. Actually if you go on google or yelp, you will read many complaints customers have against car dealerships per inability to fix faults in their cars. And in Nigeria, do you remember a case of a Nigerian player that Coscharis couldn't fix his X6 a few years back and the wahala it generated? The saving grace for dealerships is that most times they don't fix, they replace.
In southern California, most auto repair shops will not touch European brands (Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc.). They refer owners to the dealership or designated repair shops. You pull up, they just tell the owner straight up that they don't work on European cars. Even for something like just changing spark plugs. Go figure! It is not limited to Nigeria.
/
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 09, 2017
luxy44:

Is VW common on Nigeria roads like Toyota considering the closed margin in the sales? It is very funny how the "Kazeems" will decide our brand of car, after our years of education.

And it's very funny how some people will tell someone what car to buy with their money. So because me and my friends don't like vw that makes us lazy lol. Buy and drive whatever rocks ur boat.

Check the chat below of top selling cars in the states for last year and show me where the so called European cars are. Oh I see them.. they are ranked as OTHERS LOL

Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 2:32pm On Sep 09, 2017
obekediamondfuto:

exactly the point I've been trying to make all this while. and if u discover that u r in an environment dominated by kazeems with little or no experts around, go with the flow.

when in Rome, behave like the Romans, buy and drive the cats they drive for reasons stated above. else u might have to start importing parts and also importing experts.

long term effect is u spend more for less.

It's not just that. One of the defining factors is majority of cars imported into the country come from USA and Canada and in those places Toyotas and Honda's sell a lot. So it is normal to find then a lot in the used car market. The us has one of the largest used car market in the world.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 2:35pm On Sep 09, 2017
InvertedHammer:

If you live in Lagos, that's ok. I have had minor issues and been temporarily stranded in Ekwulobia, Lokoja and Abuja (of all places). In 2011, my car was left in a hotel in Abuja for almost a week until a replacement gearbox was brought from Lagos. The guy they claimed to be the best around the Central district wasn't of much help either. It was one "Kazeem" of a guy with my technical knowledge + google + youtube that got the car going.
There are some problems even the so-called dealership cannot fix after repeated visits in the western world. Actually if you go on google or yelp, you will read many complaints customers have against car dealerships per inability to fix faults in their cars. And in Nigeria, do you remember a case of a Nigerian player that Coscharis couldn't fix his X6 a few years back and the wahala it generated? The saving grace for dealerships is that most times they don't fix, they replace.
In southern California, most auto repair shops will not touch European brands (Mercedes, BMW, Audi, etc.). They refer owners to the dealership or designated repair shops. You pull up, they just tell the owner straight up that they don't work on European cars. Even for something like just changing spark plugs. Go figure! It is not limited to Nigeria.
/

God bless u. Some people will just be here talking rubbish. Fixing a car at dealership is very expensive, they don't fix, they replace and give u huge bills, sometimes bills bigger than what the car actually worth be that is why many cars are sold as salvage once they are outside warranty.

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by kolaaderin: 2:35pm On Sep 09, 2017
yek:

oya anser greenhulk na

Replacement of complete set of braking system. Read from the post the brake pad set cost 5k.

Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by InvertedHammer: 2:47pm On Sep 09, 2017
greenhulk:

God bless u. Some people will just be here talking rubbish. Fixing a car at dealership is very expensive, they don't fix, they replace and give u huge bills, sometimes bills bigger than what the car actually worth be that is why many cars are sold as salvage once they are outside warranty.
/

You go to a dealership, they charge $80 to diagnose.

Then by some National standard rate, they tell you that a particular job takes x hours to complete. Multiply the hours by $70/hr. So diagnosis and a standard 3hours job sets the owner back $290 before tax just for the labour. Of course, they will show up with a list of other things that may need to be checked then or soon. If the car is still under warranty, they look for any kind of modification to void the warranty. The owner will be screwed.

Add the inflated cost of auto parts and each trip will end up costing a minimum of $500. Cars are pain in the rear. A blown head gasket can set the owner back an easy $900 (N320k) on older cars.
/

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 2:56pm On Sep 09, 2017
greenhulk:

And it's very funny how some people will tell someone what car to buy with their money. So because me and my friends don't like vw that makes us lazy lol. Buy and drive whatever rocks ur boat.

Check the chat below of top selling cars in the states for last year and show me where the so called European cars are. Oh I see them.. they are ranked as OTHERS LOL

How many ford do we have on Nigeria roads? The sales here is high. It is still the same thing. Folofolo! Visit Europe and see for your self, you will count 10 Audi or VW to a Toyota. The stats here is influenced by Yankee population
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 2:58pm On Sep 09, 2017
greenhulk:

Let's see the brand stats! Not by model. VW sales is high, at a point higher than Toyota, yet we don't see VW on our roads
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 3:01pm On Sep 09, 2017
greenhulk:

United States, Canada are huge market for Toyota. They are underdeveloped countries ba?

So are the countries I mentioned, they are developed with less Toyota sales. It is a Japan and USA relationship thingy
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 3:03pm On Sep 09, 2017
InvertedHammer:

/

Then by some National standard rate, they tell you that a particular job takes x hours to complete. Multiply the hours by $70/hr. So diagnosis and a standard 3hours job sets the owner back $290 before tax just for the labour. Of course, they will show up with a list of other things that may need to be checked then or soon. If the car is still under warranty, they look for any kind of
modification to void the warranty. The owner will be screwed.

Add the inflated cost of auto parts and each trip will end up costing a minimum of $500. Cars are pain in the rear. A blown head gasket can set the owner back an easy $900 (N320k) on older cars.
/

Check out the video below. This guy bought a 2002 Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG for $9,000 and when he took it to dealership to fix, guess how much bill they gave him? Around $20,000. Wtf.. to fix a car that was bought for $9,000. Now an ordinary mechanic can fix this car for less than half the price quoted by dealership but it would take a lot of time and work and to be frank how many people have that kind of time? Why would someone spend weeks fixing a car when he could have used that time to fix many other cars and make his money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoKlkxdEHAc
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 3:03pm On Sep 09, 2017
InvertedHammer:

/

Then by some National standard rate, they tell you that a particular job takes x hours to complete. Multiply the hours by $70/hr. So diagnosis and a standard 3hours job sets the owner back $290 before tax just for the labour. Of course, they will show up with a list of other things that may need to be checked then or soon. If the car is still under warranty, they look for any kind of modification to void the warranty. The owner will be screwed.

/

And this is not applicable to toyotas in Yankee?? They fix them free right
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 3:13pm On Sep 09, 2017
luxy44:

How many ford do we have on Nigeria roads? The sales here is high. It is still the same thing. Folofolo! Visit Europe and see for your self, you will count 10 Audi or VW to a Toyota. The stats here is influenced by Yankee population

Dude the Americans love their own and they like big trucks hence why the f150 and Silverado are at the top. Can u compare the price of gas in the US to Nigeria for everyone to be driving there heavy v8 engines? How many Nigerians use these trucks? The cars that are most used in Nigeria and around the world are the mid class sedans , compact cars and sub compact SUV and in the us the highest selling is still Camry and corolla., CR-V, Rav 4. Say something else.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 3:14pm On Sep 09, 2017
greenhulk:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/2017/01/30/its-official-volkswagen-worlds-largest-automaker-2016-or-maybe-toyota/

I'm driving , would have given you more! Read bro
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Nobody: 3:18pm On Sep 09, 2017
luxy44:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bertelschmitt/2017/01/30/its-official-volkswagen-worlds-largest-automaker-2016-or-maybe-toyota/

I'm driving , would have given you more! Read bro

Trust me I've already read this article even before u posted it. And just as the writer put it, if u look at the topic it looks like vw sold most cars but when I was the article from beginning to the end it is otherwise. Take some time and read it urself.

And why do I need to buy a car just because the company makes more cars? I buy whatever rocks my boat, I buy the car I'm comfortable with, that won't bore a hole in my pocket to fix and a car that I can easily get it's parts and technicians. U cannot dictate to people what they should buy.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by armadeo(m): 3:44pm On Sep 09, 2017
HAH:
Lack of mechanics is the reason, some cars are too sophisticated for kazeems, I can remember back then when people were been discouraged to buy cars with automatic gears mainly because there were no much mechanics that handle them.

Just 12 years ago I remember how a friend had a baby boy Honda with gear box problems. That car was taken round and ound Lagos to Benin to warri no solution he sold it off and ran like mad.

Not up to 7yrs ago I was with him at the mechanic when the car issue came up and the mechanic said if it's now the car won't even sleep in his shop. Sharp Sharp he would repair that problem.

Lol. With time everything becomes normal.
Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by obekediamondfuto(m): 5:53pm On Sep 09, 2017
armadeo:

Just 12 years ago I remember how a friend had a baby boy Honda with gear box problems. That car was taken round and ound Lagos to Benin to warri no solution he sold it off and ran like mad.

Not up to 7yrs ago I was with him at the mechanic when the car issue came up and the mechanic said if it's now the car won't even sleep in his shop. Sharp Sharp he would repair that problem.

Lol. With time everything becomes normal.

exactly, so u can now see that we are coming to the same conclusion?
as at that time that mech and many more like him didn't have the required expertise to handle such complex systems "as at that time". 5 years down the line he became equipped with the necessary knowledge needed to handle and all of a sudden it wasn't any biggie again, right?
now here's the implied philosophy, as at 12yrs ago ur friend should have gone with the flow and stuck with the Romans since he was in Rome. Rome here signifying a place governed and dominated with people whose majority share a common idea, and in this case, automobile ideas. when the knowledge and infrastructure (gadgets, scanners, pressure testers etc) arrived, then he could decide to live like the Greek if he wanted.

aint that so?

1 Like

Re: Why Nigerians Are Afraid To Buy Some Car Brands? - Gabriel Salifu by Jagermeister(m): 1:04am On Sep 10, 2017
greenhulk:

Lol it is also safe to call ikenna351 lazy for having knowledge about Peugeot and Peugeot alone. Have u ever seen him make any comment whenever there's a thread related to any other car brand? Moral is u need to focus on ur area of specialty instead of being jack of all trades and master of nothing.

Don't mind that snide.

I know who he was biting at.. And he made it too obvious.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Has No Intention To Ban Commercial Motorcycles / How Tyres Are Made And Its Main Parts / Aston Martin To Make 28 Replicas Of DB5 Driven By James Bond In Goldfinger Movie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.