Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,823 members, 7,820,891 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

Is There A Thing Such As Luck, Does Luck Exist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is There A Thing Such As Luck, Does Luck Exist? (941 Views)

How I Used Sea Salt For Cleansings, Luck & Attraction / Catholics Come In And Explain A Thing / Seun Doesn't Exist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There A Thing Such As Luck, Does Luck Exist? by OrdercityWeb: 11:27am On Sep 09, 2017
Okay, i was thinking this morning. I hear people say "He's lucky or she was lucky ", some might even say "you can be lucky".
Now, i have a problem with that, and here are a few questions i have;
-Does Luck exist?

-What makes someone lucky?

-If you use the word, what do you mean when you say someone is "lucky"?

-If there is such a thing as "luck", then what makes another person "unlucky"?

I'll like answers to be from a philosophical viewpoint and not religious. PLEASE DON'T BRING RELIGION INTO THIS.

Thanks!

2 Shares

Re: Is There A Thing Such As Luck, Does Luck Exist? by OrdercityWeb: 11:28am On Sep 09, 2017
Re: Is There A Thing Such As Luck, Does Luck Exist? by SuperSuave(m): 11:40am On Sep 09, 2017
FORTUNATE

MzChee, your attention is needed here.
Re: Is There A Thing Such As Luck, Does Luck Exist? by johnydon22(m): 12:09pm On Sep 09, 2017
Let me present my argument that it was taught to us during my days in the seminary, you can say there is luck

We argue that we make our own luck, we make our own success but this is not always true, we say we are lucky when things beyond our control works for our good.

Take this for example:

You are about to shoot an arrow at a pole, there are things you can control such as how hard to draw your bow, how high to set your target, the precise point you want to shoot.

Now you have done the things within your reach you release your arrow.

Many things could go wrong that you cannot control or even could have predicted.

A strong whiff of wind may blow at that very moment and take your arrow off course, your bow might even snap.

These things beyond your control by proxy determines the outcome of your action, so if these factors beyond your control works perfectly well (some may say coincidence) then we say you are Lucky.

If they work against you then we say you have met ill Luck.
[Introduction to Philosophy]

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is There A Thing Such As Luck, Does Luck Exist? by OrdercityWeb: 12:18pm On Sep 09, 2017
johnydon22:

Hmmmm. Nice perspective there.
Re: Is There A Thing Such As Luck, Does Luck Exist? by Proudlyngwa(m): 12:22pm On Sep 09, 2017
OrdercityWeb:
Okay, i was thinking this morning. I hear people say "He's lucky or she was lucky ", some might even say "you can be lucky".
Now, i have a problem with that, and here are a few questions i have;
-Does Luck exist?

-What makes someone lucky?

-If you use the word, what do you mean when you say someone is "lucky"?

-If there is such a thing as "luck", then what makes another person "unlucky"?

I'll like answers to be from a philosophical viewpoint and not religious. PLEASE DON'T BRING RELIGION INTO THIS.

Thanks!
LUCK is like a throw of a dice, we don't always get the numbers we want, sometimes other people's results affect us.

When opportunities meet preparations it is called luck.
The ability to recognize and utilize the little opportunity you come across maximally is termed good luck.

Of course random good unsolicited decisions come our way, but without positive utilization it will never be termed luck.

Sometimes you make your luck, sometimes someone else makes it for you. One thing is certain a level of preparation is involved.
Re: Is There A Thing Such As Luck, Does Luck Exist? by Martinez19(m): 12:34pm On Sep 09, 2017
Luck exists. It happens due to natural reasons that can be explained. Luck by spiritual influence or means doesn't exist. wink
Re: Is There A Thing Such As Luck, Does Luck Exist? by realtem(m): 2:40pm On Sep 09, 2017
OrdercityWeb:
-Does Luck exist?

whether Luck exists depends on how you view things. some people believe luck is happenings you cannot control that go in your favour. we cannot control those happenings probably because they are decisions to be made by others or decisions that exceed our physical and mental capability. ------> These people might believe in luck.

However, some people believe we can actually control those happenings(by praying, rituals and other stuffs) but we choose not to. ------->These set of people don't think there's something like luck and are often found to believe in some supreme deity.

OrdercityWeb:

What makes someone lucky?

Well, to the first set of people, unexpected happenings probably favour you.

To the second set of people, A Deity probably smiled on you either through your own actions or not.

OrdercityWeb:
If you use the word, what do you mean when you say someone is "lucky"?

Same as the previous one

OrdercityWeb:
If there is such a thing as "luck", then what makes another person "unlucky"

1. happenings didn't favour you

2. A deity saw it fit to fūck up your day. this could also be because of something you did else he was testing his powers.

1 Like

Re: Is There A Thing Such As Luck, Does Luck Exist? by IamGeorgie(m): 3:10pm On Sep 09, 2017
I returned and saw under the sun, that the race is not for the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither is bread to the wise, nor riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill, but time and chance happen to them all (Ecc 9:11).
Re: Is There A Thing Such As Luck, Does Luck Exist? by virginboy1(m): 2:31pm On Sep 13, 2017
johnydon22:
Let me present my argument that it was taught to us during my days in the seminary, you can say there is luck

We argue that we make our own luck, we make our own success but this is not always true, we say we are lucky when things beyond our control works for our good.

Take this for example:

You are about to shoot an arrow at a pole, there are things you can control such as how hard to draw your bow, how high to set your target, the precise point you want to shoot.

Now you have done the things within your reach you release your arrow.

Many things could go wrong that you cannot control or even could have predicted.

A strong whiff of wind may blow at that very moment and take your arrow off course, your bow might even snap.

These things beyond your control by proxy determines the outcome of your action, so if these factors beyond your control works perfectly well (some may say coincidence) then we say you are Lucky.

If they work against you then we say you have met ill Luck.
[Introduction to Philosophy]

Oga Johnny, you too don enter seminary before!!!

you be indeed strong man ooo.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is There A Thing Such As Luck, Does Luck Exist? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Sep 13, 2017
Luck and Miracle doesn't exist.

Everything happens by a cause and that cause is:-
- you
- environment
- other ppl (if they participated).

1 Like

Re: Is There A Thing Such As Luck, Does Luck Exist? by MzChee(f): 4:15pm On Sep 13, 2017
SuperSuave:
FORTUNATE

MzChee, your attention is needed here.
Lol. Philosophers dont believe in luck. As a word, it is subjective and it depends on an individual's perspesctive.
Re: Is There A Thing Such As Luck, Does Luck Exist? by Nobody: 9:16pm On Sep 13, 2017
Life is an endlessly collapsing wave function. The future is the function with infinite possibilities- and every present, every 'NOW', it collapses. Some events have higher probabilities of occurrence than others. But one is bound to occur. You can predict to a high level of accuracy what could happen next, but you can NEVER be 100% sure. Not even 100% certain that the sun will come up tomorrow. As I'm typing this, there's the probability that I'll click submit and you'll get to read it, which is very high. There's also a much lower probability that just when I want to click submit, my dorm room will collapse and I'll die. The moment 100% certainty about the future exists, it triggers a chain reaction of events which then eliminate free will. So yes, luck exists. All you can do is just try to increase the chances of one event happening in preference to another. Luck and free will go side by side.

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (Reply)

Open Heavens Daily Devotional 12/11/17 / Jumu'ah Reminder -5 Things You Should Always Do Before Jumat Prayer / See How Lord’s Chosen Church Members Dress During Evangelism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.