Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,155 members, 7,835,847 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:11 PM

Why Are There So Many Churches In Nigeria? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are There So Many Churches In Nigeria? (1336 Views)

How Did We End Up With So Many Churches? / Bishop Oyedepo Establishes 848 Rural Churches In One Day / 7 Different Churches In One Building in Lagos, See Nigerians' Reactions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are There So Many Churches In Nigeria? by valkaka(m): 3:07pm On Sep 10, 2017
We have many churches in Nigeria because churches are profitable.

Those who recognize this and play “the game” are enjoying millions of dollars today by milking many Nigerians dry. Sadly, those being sucked dry remain faithful pawns to any willing smooth-talking, Bible-toting criminal. I could return to Nigeria today as a son of Miracles” and I’d be on my way to claiming a million dollar empire. God! That sounds GOOD!
We have very few Christians in Nigeria. We’ve all become churchgoers!

There are 2 reasons why the church-culture is growing in Nigeria.

1. Persistent desperation (see the roads I shared below).
When you travel on roads like this, you pray to God (of course through your pastor/church, after sowing seeds) to keep you safe. Let’s not ask the Nigerian government to give us better infrastructure. Let us continue praying because God will NEED to touch the hearts of the Nigerian government before they do the right thing or come down himself to give us our basic amenities.
Pray harder!!

2. Get rich quick scheme
Both the pastors and their congregation are guilty of this. The pastors steal from the members, and members are deluded into thinking that if they sow enough “seeds” they’d become millionaires overnight. Who has this ever worked for?!
What actually happens when you sow “seeds” is that your pastor would become an overnight millionaire! You get poorer!
The only thing many Nigerians understand is MIRACLES. We don’t understand hard work or common sense. We understand MIRACLES, even when it does not make sense.
When I was in Nigeria, I would follow some of my friends to some night vigils, and some miracle prayer houses. As events unfolded in the church, I always felt like I was at a car dealership
I perpetually felt patronized. I would roll my eyes to the heavens seeing how pathetic and desperate many of these pastors were. I felt sorry for them. Hunger is a bastard! It’d make you eat your own legs to stay alive. Haha! It made me sad that my friends could not see what I saw. I kept my thoughts to myself because you don’t waste your time reasoning with the lost ones. When I tried, I lost!
I don’t know why I was like this. Maybe my Catholic upbringing is just used to the idea of accountability. I do not trust any man who runs a show by himself and remains accountable to no one. Maybe I was the devil himself or my Catholic upbringing is just used to order, not chaos in the form of praying against witches and wizards who might not even be interested in us.
I mean, if I was a witch, I would be too busy flying all over the world on my broom, passport and visa-free, to worry about paranoid Christians who don’t even have constant electric power. They’d bore me to death so I think I’d party differently. I’d go to Norway, which is currently ranked best country to live in.
If I were the devil, I will not be in Nigeria. “Isn’t that country in a recession? Aren't they a developing country? I’m outta here!”
I will go to other developed countries and either chill or bring them to ruins!
If you ask me, I think Nigerians need to invest the same level of energy we give to prayers to ensuring our elected officials keep their word and utilize public funds to make life easier for everyone.

Nevertheless, i still remain a roman catholic and happy Sunday yall.

so let's hear your own reason(s) why there are many churches in Nigeria today

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are There So Many Churches In Nigeria? by LarryBeryl(m): 3:33pm On Sep 10, 2017
Religious fanatics will eat you alive. Lemme grab a bowl of popcorn while I enjoy this thread.
Re: Why Are There So Many Churches In Nigeria? by yomi007k(m): 3:36pm On Sep 10, 2017
3. Laziness.
Most nigerians and blacks dont want to work. They however try to get excuses to prevent them from doing such and the church or mosque is a perfect one.

They prefer to engage in those' distractions' and social activities dt will take their mind off work rather than face thier problems.

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Churches In Nigeria? by An2elect2(f): 3:41pm On Sep 10, 2017
All false prophets (pastors and members) will burn in the lake of fire.

I agree with God!
Re: Why Are There So Many Churches In Nigeria? by abelprice(m): 3:46pm On Sep 10, 2017
Because there are different heaven. . Depending on the church u go 2.... undecided...

Dats y dey now have university xo dey can have intelligent individuals to develop their heaven... jst saying... undecided..

1 Like

Re: Why Are There So Many Churches In Nigeria? by Niflheim(m): 4:06pm On Sep 10, 2017
4.He who builds a smelling shrine(church), will end up with an army of brainless swine(the christians)!!! The colonial masters knew what the effects of "mumu doctrines"(christianity), will have on the slaves working in the fields!!! It will make them docile and less likely to rebel!!! Then, when the colonial masters handed over to the Nigerian Government, the government saw it as an opportunity to loot the treasury while the religious ruminants continue to smile and thank god for their predicament!!! More churches= More mumus and morons!!!

(1) (Reply)

Secret To End Spirit Husband & Masturbation In One Day / Why I Join The Freemasonry / Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.