Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,216 members, 7,836,050 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' (1336 Views)

How Prophet Daniel Abodunrin Was Killed By Lions At U.I. Zoo In 1991 In Ibadan / Pastor Biodun Fatoyinbo And Family In Milan (Vacation Photos) / Apostle Suleman Clashes With Kennedy Achee, A Cameroonian Over Refugees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by Nobody: 5:58pm On Feb 04, 2019
A "vulnerable" man was tied up and killed by his own family as they carried out a form of "exorcism", a court has heard.

Kennedy Ife's parents and brothers mistakenly believed he was "possessed by evil spirits" and set about "curing" him, the Old Bailey was told.

They allegedly used cable ties, rope and handcuffs to restrain the 26-year-old at home in Enfield, north London.

Seven members of his family all deny manslaughter.

Mr Ife's parents, Kenneth, 64, and Josephine, 56, and brothers Roy, 33, Harry, 32, Colin, 26, Samuel, 20, and Daniel, 20, also deny false imprisonment and causing or allowing the death of a vulnerable adult between 19 and 23 August 2016.

Prosecutor Tom Little QC said: "His own family decided that because he had become and remained unwell he should be restrained with cable ties, rope and handcuffs.

"They decided that he should be restrained in his own home with them rather than calling 999. Ultimately that restraint was a cause of his tragic death."

'Misguided religious beliefs'
When Mr Ife showed signs of illness in August 2016, his family believed he had become possessed by evil spirits and decided to restrain him, the court heard.

Mr Little said: "The family put misguided religious beliefs about this young man being possessed by a demon or evil spirits before the obvious and common sense conclusion that he needed help and did not need to be restrained."

They made an emergency call, but Mr Ife could not be saved, the jury heard.

The prosecutor added: "Instead of calling 999 or seeking other expert assistance they sought to 'cure' his perceived illness through prayer and restraint.

"Whether this was some form of exorcism will be a matter for you in due course. In short, the Ife family took the law into their own hands."

The trial continues.

Link to Article
Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by Nobody: 5:59pm On Feb 04, 2019
This is why I keep saying that Pentecostalism is a MENTAL ILLNESS.

These people blame demons and spirits for every conceivable problem in their lives. Now they have killed their own relative

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by Seun(m): 5:38am On Feb 05, 2019
I think this is quite similar to how Rashidi Yekini’s family killed him. #NeverForget

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by Nobody: 7:05am On Feb 05, 2019
Seun:
That’s similar to how Rashidi Yekini’s family killed him. #NeverForget
shocked shocked

Really?
Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by tillaman(m): 9:41am On Feb 05, 2019
Sad
Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by Nobody: 10:09am On Feb 05, 2019
Seun:
I think this is quite similar to how Rashidi Yekini’s family killed him. #NeverForget

Believe me Seun, there is a reason why I placed Emphasis on Pentecostalism. I personally was a few hours away from death because of a slightly similar situation without the violence , and have known at least one person who died refusing medicine and resorting to prayer instead.

There are countless cases of people dying in churches and at home because of the supposed healing power of Christ . If this is true, then why did the prayer of almost 3 pastors and the whole church take me closer to the death bed than to recovery.

Happens more frequently than is published ; religion imho is an illness with varying degrees of affliction.

1 Like

Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by tillaman(m): 10:09am On Feb 05, 2019
Seun:
after reading segun odegbami’s article on his death I believe you are 100% right!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by spongeisback: 2:56pm On Feb 05, 2019
Pentecostal churches are cancer to the society. They just make it up as they go. There's someone on this same Nairaland that went to pastor Chris healing school and he said he was "healed" of HIV.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by Nobody: 12:43am On Feb 07, 2019
Seun:
You this old school bros. . . How did they kill him ?

I know African(Blacks) are like crabs in a bucket sha. Maybe they pulled him into the bucket that is death.
Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by Nobody: 12:48am On Feb 07, 2019
frosbel2:

Believe me Seun, there is a reason why I placed Emphasis on Pentecostalism. I personally was a few hours away from death because of a slightly similar situation without the violence , and have known at least one person who died refusing medicine and resorting to prayer instead.

There are countless cases of people dying in churches and at home because of the supposed healing power of Christ . If this is true, then why did the prayer of almost 3 pastors and the whole church take me closer to the death bed than to recovery.

Happens more frequently than is published ; religion imho is an illness with varying degrees of affliction.
Maybe your experiences are true but there are also countless cases of many life threatening situations where medical science have diagnosed incurable ailment and the people involved got healed miraculously against every possible medical explanation. Maybe Health centers and hospitals should be mandated to keep special records of such cases for record and research purposes.
Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by Nobody: 11:32am On Feb 07, 2019
[quote author=CodeSapien post=75488848]
Maybe your experiences are true

Maybe ? They are 100% rock solid TRUE

but there are also countless cases of many life threatening situations where medical science have diagnosed incurable ailment and the people involved got healed miraculously against every possible medical explanation. Maybe Health centers and hospitals should be mandated to keep special records of such cases for record and research purposes.

So why heal 2 out of thousands , why not extend this same power to the rest of the community ? Why are these cases of healing so obscure that they are very difficult to confirm.

My friend , tell me a different story

1 Like

Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by Martinez39(m): 2:20pm On Feb 07, 2019
frosbel2:

Lol. Many people are dying from rejecting medicine and using faith but you don't get to see them on the news instead more focus is given to the hypocrites called moderates who conveniently interpret the scripture to their convenience because everyone wants to hear that christianity is good and harmless. This suits people's feelings even though it's at the expense of reality.

I remember when I started taking this faith thing seriously and started getting involved in new generational churches, I decided to apply my faith to cure malaria. I snubbed my antimalarial for faith and I kid you not. What saved me was that I was at home due to the holiday and the excited me told my mum about my so called works of faith. There was fire on the mountain grin. My mum went hysterical and was pleading with me take my medication but I stood my ground and was wondering why my mum, being a christian, wasn't in support of my action, the irony. I later took my drugs after being talked into it by my cell leader who said "For peace to reign, obey your mum. It's not the drug that would heal you, it's Jesus." Can you imagine. This was many years ago and I wondered what would have happened if I was in the hostel and away from my mum's supervision. I was a small boy then and being an introvert and growing up in a household that is full of heavy (I really meany heavy) indoctrination into believing spiritual stuffs didn't help matters.

My mum hypocrisy got me wondering. Why would this woman who claim to be a christian and heavily believes in spiritual stuff act as if faith is magical thinking? I sensed this same hypocrisy in all christians I knew. It was always the same "we believe in god" but acting and thinking like god doesn't exist. I later started mixing out with people, joined nairaland and started observing human life. I came to the conclusion that despite the so much noise about god's existence and power, nature always took it's course regardless of what we believe. Religious people who have terminal cancer always end up dying. As a medical student then, I once asked myself "why am I studying medicine if there is faith healing?" grin Mehn, I was a young boy then and I did many stupid stuff because of the bible. Now, I am matured and I am an atheist. Exposure helps. The first set of atheists I came across on nairaland were Donffd (will never forget him), edibleketara and some others. They ganged up against me in one thread to argue against my religious beliefs.

Anyways, religious beliefs are not harmless. To survive, man needs the truth so as to make realistic approaches to solve his problems. Unrealist approaches can be dangerous. This is why I bash and debunk religious claims and why I am an anti-theist. grin

2 Likes

Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by Nobody: 1:03am On Feb 09, 2019
frosbel2:

So why heal 2 out of thousands , why not extend this same power to the rest of the community ? Why are these cases of healing so obscure that they are very difficult to confirm.
Faith is needed to press and not everybody who claims to have faith actually do. Some just profess it out of desperation to get cured or out of love of what they are after.
Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by HEFAIROHLUWA(m): 5:26am On Feb 09, 2019
Martinez39:
Lol. Many people are dying from rejecting medicine and using faith but you don't get to see them on the news instead more focus is given to the hypocrites called moderates who conveniently interpret the scripture to their convenience because everyone wants to hear that christianity is good and harmless. This suits people's feelings even though it's at the expense of reality.

I remember when I started taking this faith thing seriously and started getting involved in new generational churches, I decided to apply my faith to cure malaria. I snubbed my antimalarial for faith and I kid you not. What saved me was that I was at home due to the holiday and the excited me told my mum about my so called works of faith. There was fire on the mountain grin. My mum went hysterical and was pleading with me take my medication but I stood my ground and was wondering why my mum, being a christian, wasn't in support of my action, the irony. I later took my drugs after being talked into it by my cell leader who said "For peace to reign, obey your mum. It's not the drug that would heal you, it's Jesus." Can you imagine. This was many years ago and I wondered what would have happened if I was in the hostel and away from my mum's supervision. I was a small boy then and being an introvert and growing up in a household that is full of heavy (I really meany heavy) indoctrination into believing spiritual stuffs didn't help matters.

My mum hypocrisy got me wondering. Why would this woman who claim to be a christian and heavily believes in spiritual stuff act as if faith is magical thinking? I sensed this same hypocrisy in all christians I knew. It was always the same "we believe in god" but acting and thinking like god doesn't exist. I later started mixing out with people, joined nairaland and started observing human life. I came to the conclusion that despite the so much noise about god's existence and power, nature always took it's course regardless of what we believe. Religious people who have terminal cancer always end up dying. As a medical student then, I once asked myself "why am I studying medicine if there is faith healing?" grin Mehn, I was a young boy then and I did many stupid stuff because of the bible. Now, I am matured and I am an atheist. Exposure helps. The first set of atheists I came across on nairaland were Donffd (will never forget him), edibleketara and some others. They ganged up against me in one thread to argue against my religious beliefs.

Anyways, religious beliefs are not harmless. To survive, man needs the truth so as to make realistic approaches to solve his problems. Unrealist approaches can be dangerous. This is why I bash and debunk religious claims and why I am an anti-theist. grin
See the bolded! Mehnnn..It morning and I'm just laughing...Very funny henn grin Oga Seun and every other atheist sef go enjoy dat part..Whatever the case I so much love the 2nd bolded honestly I wish you knew how much..Thats how it should be but unfortunately religious folks often take stupid decision often costing them their life/finances.. People need to see this..Thank you for sharing your experience..
Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by Nobody: 12:45pm On Feb 09, 2019
CodeSapien:
Faith is needed to press and not everybody who claims to have faith actually do. Some just profess it out of desperation to get cured or out of love of what they are after.

What utter drivel. And the fact that you say they have no faith, means that the word of God being preached every Sunday is of no effect in the lives of the majority of Christians, because the majority of them live with the fact of unanswered prayers. Your pastors should resign and get new careers.

There are millions out there who TRUSTED Jesus for HEALING but he failed them, because he is either not real or is buried in the dust of the earth.

1 Like

Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by Nobody: 12:50pm On Feb 09, 2019
Martinez39:

You absolutely nailed it !!

I feel deeply sorrowful for many Nigerians who cannot afford the vital medicine needed for their healing or recovery , and are then taken advantage of by charlatan church leaders who promise them healing but instead , lead them to the gates of death and sometimes to death itself.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by Martinez39(m): 1:51pm On Feb 09, 2019
frosbel2:

You absolutely nailed it !!

I feel deeply sorrowful for many Nigerians who cannot afford the vital medicine needed for their healing or recovery , and are then taken advantage of by charlatan church leaders who promise them healing but instead , lead them to the gates of death and sometimes to death itself.
It's not about not having money. Even those who have the money, like myself then, still use faith. I saw a story about two women who could afford medical treatment but believed that their faith had healed them after attending a Benny Hinn crusade. One had cancer and the other had multiple sclerosis. The former ended up dying despite the doctors' advice, she left behind four daughters and her husband and the later was still alive at the time of the documentary. There was also an elderly woman who had cancer. Whether it was terminal or not, I don't know but she ended up donating all her life savings to Kenneth Copeland's ministry all in the name of sowing a seed. She ended up dying and no one knew what she had done until her daughter saw her dairy.

Personal, I know a man that is partially blind because he decided to use faith instead of going to the hospital. His wife told him to go to the hospital but he refused and stubbornly stuck to his faith and his eye defects became worse. There are many cases like this all over the world with many many many many babies and little children dying because their parents refused them medical treatment but you never get to hear much about them because christian apologist, christian authorities and many christians want you to believe that christianity is good and harmless. Apart from sickness and diseases, people make rash and dangerous business decisions and miss out on huge business opportunities because they are trying to follow the will of god. What about those who miss out on marrying the right spouse or broke up with their worthy boyfriend because one fool called pastor told them not marry? What about those who left their marriages or maltreated their wife/husband because one pastor said that their spouse were not right for them or were the cause of their problems? There are many ways in which religion can fvck up people's lives. Read my story and realise that, I, Martinez19 aka Martinez39, could have been dead or least turned to a vegetable if was away in the hostel. Do you know what it means for malaria to run it's course in the human body? May pastors meet terrible endings. angry

Gosh, I will keep on saying the truth about religion and magical thinking. Let's not forget those that have been dumped and manipulated by psychics and spiritualists. Let's not forget those whose lives have been wasted because people thought that kill people will give them money. Lastly, there is a certain part in africa (I can't remember the name) where albinos are discriminated against and are maimed and killed because people believe that killing albinos or using their body parts will make them wealthy or generate effective charms.

wink
Re: Kennedy Ife Death: Man 'killed By Family In Botched Exorcism' by Nobody: 12:19am On Feb 13, 2019
frosbel2:

What utter drivel. And the fact that you say they have no faith, means that the word of God being preached every Sunday is of no effect in the lives of the majority of Christians, because the majority of them live with the fact of unanswered prayers. Your pastors should resign and get new careers.

There are millions out there who TRUSTED Jesus for HEALING but he failed them, because he is either not real or is buried in the dust of the earth.
Jesus doesn't fail.

(1) (Reply)

MFM April 2021 New Month Prayer Points / Who Is More Important To The Christian Between Jesus And Saul, Now Paul? / Wind & Fire 2008 Campmeeting In Portharcourt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.