Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,670 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:07 PM

Eguavoen To Assist Lagerback - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Eguavoen To Assist Lagerback (1083 Views)

Austin Eguavoen Quits After Qualifying Failure / Eguavoen To Be Sacked After U-23's Match Today / Eguavoen's Facts On Amodu's Ineptitude (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Eguavoen To Assist Lagerback by opes: 8:48am On Feb 27, 2010
Former Nigeria coach, Austin Eguavoen, will assist newly appointed coach Lars Lagerback to the World Cup, MTNFootball.com has exclusively gathered.

“Lagerback will work with Eguavoen and two other Nigerian coaches,” a top official informed MTNFootball.com.

Eguavoen’s appointment thus forecloses Shuaibu Amodu being part of the party to the World Cup in South Africa.

Amodu qualified Nigeria to the World Cup but was demoted to the country’s team B after the Eagles posted a disappointing outing at the 2010 Nations Cup in Angola.

A former international defender, Eguavoen first assisted Christian Chukwu as the Eagles finished third at the 2004 Africa Cup of Nations in Tunisia.

He took over the team in 2005 after Angola forced Nigeria to a 1-1 draw in Kano in an all-important World Cup qualifier.

‘Cerezo’ will go on to guide Nigeria to third place at the 2006 Nations Cup in Egypt and assisted Berti Vogts at the 2008 Nations Cup in Ghana, where Nigeria crashed out in the quarterfinals to the host nation.

Eguavoen is currently on practical attachment to a Dutch club as he strives to complete his coaching papers.

http://worldcup.mtnfootball.com/live/content.php?Item_ID=27536
Re: Eguavoen To Assist Lagerback by djynnius(m): 9:42am On Feb 27, 2010
I keep thinking to myself: what ever happened to Samson Siasia? Now we have a world class shoe shiner! Sia One took the Nigerian boys to the finals in 1995 and lost to the Argrntines in the finals, took the remnant of that team to the finals of the subsequent olympics and lost in the finals to the same Argentina, now Batista and Sia One are outta contention for the world cup but Chile was smart enough to take a coach who almost stole the number one spot for south america in the world cup qualifiers.

Look out for Chile in the world cup,
Re: Eguavoen To Assist Lagerback by Ibime(m): 11:58am On Mar 01, 2010
Eguavoen has no shame. From manager to assistant.

Can he not go and find another managerial job. . . or is he hungry?

I know SiaSia will never accept an assistant job with Naija cos he's a man of principle.
Re: Eguavoen To Assist Lagerback by snakova(m): 12:13pm On Mar 01, 2010
That means Queiroz also has no shame, from portugal manager, to assistant to Fergie at Man U, back to Portugal manager. U need to humble yourself at times in order to succeed in future.
Re: Eguavoen To Assist Lagerback by deb(m): 1:43pm On Mar 01, 2010
Ibime:

Eguavoen has no shame. From manager to assistant.

Can he not go and find another managerial job. . . or is he hungry?

I know SiaSia will never accept an assistant job with Naija cos he's a man of principle.

I will always respect a man who is ready and willing to learn. That is why Eguavoen will always be a good coach.
I still remember that after he took over from the useless Chukwu after the 1-1 draw with Angola, the same
Super Eagles that could not fly under Chukwu scored a whooping 10goals in two matches home and away no thanks
to FIFA's head to head rule he would have qualified us for the Germany world cup.

As per Siasia, I really would have loved him to be part of the crew but he is too ambitious to be under another coach.
He is good anyway
Re: Eguavoen To Assist Lagerback by opes: 3:06am On Mar 02, 2010
the combination of siasia and oliseh may even cause problem to the team,oliseh is so arrogant and siasia will never tolerate nonsense,infact,the Technical adviser may fail to achieve with both oliseh and siasia as his assistances
Re: Eguavoen To Assist Lagerback by DrTee1(m): 11:13pm On May 08
opes:
the combination of siasia and oliseh may even cause problem to the team,oliseh is so arrogant and siasia will never tolerate nonsense,infact,the Technical adviser may fail to achieve with both oliseh and siasia as his assistances

You apparently saw Oliseh's character as Super Eagles coach 5 years before the rest of the world...
Re: Eguavoen To Assist Lagerback by opes: 2:00pm On May 09
DrTee1:

You apparently saw Oliseh's character as Super Eagles coach 5 years before the rest of the world...

Wow..Am old member of Nairaland..lol..Thanks
Re: Eguavoen To Assist Lagerback by DrTee1(m): 10:06pm On May 09
opes:

Wow..Am old member of Nairaland..lol..Thanks

I guess I'm older on this platform than you are, though. wink

(1) (Reply)

The Rapture Vision Of 1996 / Olympics Disaster So Far: A Time For Sober Reflection / South Africa 2013 Nations Cup-Super Eagles Opponents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.