Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,753 members, 7,824,159 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Church Cancels Wedding Because Brides' Facebook Post On Gay Marriage - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Church Cancels Wedding Because Brides' Facebook Post On Gay Marriage (402 Views)

Kumuyi Cancels Aba Crusade After IPOB’s Warning / Deborah Samuel: Pastor Adeboye Cancels Sokoto Crusade / Church Cancels Wedding After Facebook Gay Marriage Post (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Church Cancels Wedding Because Brides' Facebook Post On Gay Marriage by chikachuks1(m): 2:12pm On Sep 15, 2017
A Victorian church refused to marry a young couple and cancelled their wedding plans because the bride-to-be expressed support for same-sex marriage on Facebook.

The 26-year-old bride and 25-year-old groom were to be married in November at their Presbyterian church, Ebenezer St John’s in Ballarat, by minister Steven North.

In early August, when the Turnbull government announced the postal survey on same-sex marriage, the bride posted a Facebook status declaring her support for change.

“I know it’s something not everyone will agree on and that’s fine but this is what I stand for and frankly it doesn’t effect my relationship with my partner one bit,” she commented.

Days later, the couple were summoned to Mr North’s office and were told he would no longer marry them, nor would they be allowed to hold their ceremony at the church.

In a letter to the bride, provided to Fairfax Media, Mr North said the views expressed in the Facebook post had “practical consequences” for the wedding.

“After the pre-marital counselling that you attended and the sermons delivered at Ebenezer on this subject, you must surely appreciate that your commitment to same-sex marriage opposes the teaching of Christ Jesus and the scriptural position practiced by the Presbyterian Church of Australia and by me,” he wrote.

“This conflict of views has practical consequences in relation to your upcoming wedding.

“By continuing to officiate it would appear either that I support your views on same-sex marriage or that I am uncaring about this matter. As you know, neither statement is correct.

“Also, if the wedding proceeded in the Ebenezer St John’s church buildings, the same inferences could be drawn about the Presbyterian denomination. Such inferences would be wrong.”
Fairfax Media has spoken to the couple but has agreed not to name them, in line with their wishes. The couple did not seek media attention about the case – Fairfax Media was informed by a friend of the family.

Ebenezer St John’s did not return multiple calls. John Wilson, clerk of assembly at the Presbyterian Church of Victoria, said decisions about officiating marriages were at the discretion of individual ministers. He did not wish to comment further.

But Presbyterian ministers and churchgoers are under clear directions to oppose same-sex marriage. Mr Wilson, who is also moderator-general of the Presbyterian Church of Australia, published a blog post committing the church to the “no” case and calling on attendees to campaign actively.

http://www.christianityupdate.com/blog/church-cancels-wedding-because-bride-and-groom-supported-gay-marriage-on-facebook/
Re: Church Cancels Wedding Because Brides' Facebook Post On Gay Marriage by DOUBLEWAHALA: 2:18pm On Sep 15, 2017
these should sound as warning for those commenting on bobrisky page
Re: Church Cancels Wedding Because Brides' Facebook Post On Gay Marriage by Nobody: 2:25pm On Sep 15, 2017
chikachuks1:
A Victorian church refused to marry a young couple and cancelled their wedding plans because the bride-to-be expressed support for same-sex marriage on Facebook.

The 26-year-old bride and 25-year-old groom were to be married in November at their Presbyterian church, Ebenezer St John’s in Ballarat, by minister Steven North.

In early August, when the Turnbull government announced the postal survey on same-sex marriage, the bride posted a Facebook status declaring her support for change.

“I know it’s something not everyone will agree on and that’s fine but this is what I stand for and frankly it doesn’t effect my relationship with my partner one bit,” she commented.

Days later, the couple were summoned to Mr North’s office and were told he would no longer marry them, nor would they be allowed to hold their ceremony at the church.

In a letter to the bride, provided to Fairfax Media, Mr North said the views expressed in the Facebook post had “practical consequences” for the wedding.

“After the pre-marital counselling that you attended and the sermons delivered at Ebenezer on this subject, you must surely appreciate that your commitment to same-sex marriage opposes the teaching of Christ Jesus and the scriptural position practiced by the Presbyterian Church of Australia and by me,” he wrote.

“This conflict of views has practical consequences in relation to your upcoming wedding.

“By continuing to officiate it would appear either that I support your views on same-sex marriage or that I am uncaring about this matter. As you know, neither statement is correct.

“Also, if the wedding proceeded in the Ebenezer St John’s church buildings, the same inferences could be drawn about the Presbyterian denomination. Such inferences would be wrong.”
Fairfax Media has spoken to the couple but has agreed not to name them, in line with their wishes. The couple did not seek media attention about the case – Fairfax Media was informed by a friend of the family.

Ebenezer St John’s did not return multiple calls. John Wilson, clerk of assembly at the Presbyterian Church of Victoria, said decisions about officiating marriages were at the discretion of individual ministers. He did not wish to comment further.

But Presbyterian ministers and churchgoers are under clear directions to oppose same-sex marriage. Mr Wilson, who is also moderator-general of the Presbyterian Church of Australia, published a blog post committing the church to the “no” case and calling on attendees to campaign actively.

http://www.christianityupdate.com/blog/church-cancels-wedding-because-bride-and-groom-supported-gay-marriage-on-facebook/

I support the Church 100%. It is against Christian beliefs, and even god does not approve same sex marriages

(1) (Reply)

Which Of The TEN Commandments Do You Break Too Often? / 7 myths about christianity: that you probably believe. / Which Church Do You Rep?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.