Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,625 members, 7,827,338 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. (2366 Views)

Only 5 States Paying N30,000 Minimum Wage – NLC / Buhari: Few People In 5 States Control Nigeria’s Wealth / NASS Leadership: Stop Igbo Marginalisation,youth Parliament Urges Apc/presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by uchedydy: 8:38pm On Sep 17, 2017
Let me say this: this is not a sessestionist idea. But why does south East have only 5 states. Whereas all other regions have 6 states, even the North East has 7 states.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by LIFEisSIMPLE: 8:52pm On Sep 17, 2017
It is the Nigerian governments way of reminding Ndigbo that they dont deserve equality.
To help clamp down on terrorism, they might consider slashing it down to 4 states.

NIGERIA IS A SICK COUNTRY

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by Nedfed(m): 8:52pm On Sep 17, 2017
It clearly seen, the North has a large land mass than the South-East.
Is like many of us are not familiar with the map.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by uchedydy: 9:01pm On Sep 17, 2017
@nedfed, serious? Please also tell me why bayelsa of 8 lga can is a state. If it's by landmass.
Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by theguvnor: 9:07pm On Sep 17, 2017
LoL. Ordinary Kogi state has a bigger land mass than the entire south east.
Niger state is 3 times the size of the entire south east.
These states should be asking to be their own countries then.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by Nedfed(m): 9:13pm On Sep 17, 2017
uchedydy:
@nedfed, serious? Please also tell me why bayelsa of 8 lga can is a state. If it's by landmass.
Not clear, typical error I guess
Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by reuben79: 9:14pm On Sep 17, 2017
uchedydy:
Let me say this: this is not a sessestionist idea. But why does south East have only 5 states. Whereas all other regions have 6 states, even the North East has 7 states.
why r u nt complain dis during d jonathan government?why now? cos no more lootin nd free contracts...............
Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by uchedydy: 9:31pm On Sep 17, 2017
reuben79:
why r u nt complain dis during d jonathan government?why now? cos no more lootin nd free contracts...............

Like the usual myopic Nigerian, you won't address the issues, you have gone towards politics, that is uncalled for now. Plz address the issue at hand or keep calm for intelligent young men and women to contribute.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by uchedydy: 9:34pm On Sep 17, 2017
Nedfed:

Not clear, typical error I guess

I mean a state as small as bayelsa, is a state. Now bayelsa is so small it has 8 abi 9 Local govt areas... So if it's by landmass, why wud bayelsa be a state and south East can't have an extra 1 state for equality at least.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 17, 2017
uchedydy:
I think it has to do with the fact that the SE has a small population in addition to having a small land mass.
Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by Obi1kenobi(m): 9:39pm On Sep 17, 2017
The South East have the lowest population in the country and have by far the smallest landmass. Every other region is at least double the size of the South East. Oyo state alone is as big as the SE region and many states in the North are bigger - some far bigger. We need to rid ourselves of the obsession of creating more states. Nigeria has many states as it is which aren't viable. If anything, if we're serious about restructuring which would bring about autonomy, states need to be talking about merging together and not this state creation rubbish.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by reuben79: 9:42pm On Sep 17, 2017
[quote author=uchedydy post=60563163]

Like the usual myopic Nigerian, you won't address the issues, you have gone towards politics, that is uncalled for now. Plz address the issue at hand or keep calm for intelligent young men and women to contribute. [/quoteu]u r mentally sick.............so u wnt me to support ur evil agenda,if u need more state is ur region ask one of ur 15 senators to spor d bill in national assembly ok, nd stop disturbin us wit ur anger of 2015 election

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by Nedfed(m): 9:44pm On Sep 17, 2017
uchedydy:

I mean a state as small as bayelsa, is a state. Now bayelsa is so small it has 8 abi 9 Local govt areas... So if it's by landmass, why wud bayelsa be a state and south East can't have an extra 1 state for equality at least.

You people sud av voice out during Jonathan time that you need more states. I think he's in the best position then to do it.
Why now?
When you're talking about having more states, what of south-west,how many do they have?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by uchedydy: 9:49pm On Sep 17, 2017
Obi1kenobi:
The South East have the lowest population in the country and have by far the smallest landmass. Every other region is at least double the size of the South East. Oyo state alone is as big as the SE region and many states in the North are bigger - some far bigger. We need to rid ourselves of the obsession of creating more states. Nigeria has many states as it is which aren't viable. If anything, if we're serious about restructuring which would bring about autonomy, states need to be talking about merging together and not this state creation rubbish.

So on the alter of landmass and population we are justified to slaughter equity. Have you wondered the amount of development that is denied the south East by virtue of having 5 states.
Consider this: if the "least " state in the country goes home with 2billion naira montly from farc. It means the this amount in development is being the se.
In 1 year...2billion x 12= 24billion naira
In 4 years.. 24billion x 4= 96 billion naira.
96 billion naira direct worth of development denied the se from farc, not to talk of private investments like banks and other foreign agencies that would set up in the state and impact the life of people of th e area.
Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by uchedydy: 9:53pm On Sep 17, 2017
[quote author=reuben79 post=60563488][/quote]

I think am done with you. Yes you.
Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by uchedydy: 9:58pm On Sep 17, 2017
Nedfed:

You people sud av voice out during Jonathan time that you need more states. I think he's in the best position then to do it.
Why now?
When you're talking about having more states, what of south-west,how many do they have?

South West has 6 states, North East has 7 states. All other regions has 6 states, south East has 5 states.

On Jonathan, plz remember Jonathan is from bayelsa (south south), not south East. I am not bothered abt the politics of it, as to Jonathan or buhari, but the on how a region is denied development just by a single inaction of not giving it up to the states other regions have.
Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by deji17: 10:00pm On Sep 17, 2017
uchedydy:

Imo State Total Area : 5,530 km2 (2,140 sq mi)

Bayelsa State Total Area : 10,773 km2 (4,159 sq mi)

Now you have the figure, which you could have easily source by yourself.

Bayelsa is twice the size of Imo state

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by Nedfed(m): 10:08pm On Sep 17, 2017
uchedydy:

South West has 6 states, North East has 7 states. All other regions has 6 states, south East has 5 states.

On Jonathan, plz remember Jonathan is from bayelsa (south south), not south East. I am not bothered abt the politics of it, as to Jonathan or buhari, but the on how a region is denied development just by a single inaction of not giving it up to the states other regions have.

I don't think creating of new states is what you people need over there, but a good governance.
Have been to almost all parts of the south-east to the south south.
You people have no good governors.
And that why you feel has being cheated.
Your leaders are your problems.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by Nobody: 10:09pm On Sep 17, 2017
uchedydy:

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by maclatunji: 10:21pm On Sep 17, 2017
Nedfed:

OP is blinded by tribalism. See how small the Southeast is, 5 states are too much sef.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by Obi1kenobi(m): 10:30pm On Sep 17, 2017
uchedydy:

So on the alter of landmass and population we are justified to slaughter equity. Have you wondered the amount of development that is denied the south East by virtue of having 5 states.
Consider this: if the "least " state in the country goes home with 2billion naira montly from farc. It means the this amount in development is being the se.
In 1 year...2billion x 12= 24billion naira
In 4 years.. 24billion x 4= 96 billion naira.
96 billion naira direct worth of development denied the se from farc, not to talk of private investments like banks and other foreign agencies that would set up in the state and impact the life of people of th e area.

And I'm still making the point that by far the smallest region with by far the smallest population having the least number of states is perfectly equitable. Your standards of equity seems to be every region having the same number of states regardless of size and population. That is not equitable to me. It makes sense that the Northern states with bigger populations and far bigger landmass (imagine how many kilometres of road you need to connect communities in Borno or Niger and compare it with a small state like Anambra) would have more states to ease the administrative complexity.
Secondly, this contradicts the restructuring quest. If we're truly serious about devolution of powers from the centre and true federalism with states as federating units and resource control and all that stuff, the campaign should be about viable administrative units and not creating more states. That would mean we're deceiving ourselves because what the state creation appeal would mean is that we're still looking for how to scrounge more "oyel money" from the Federal government instead of how we'll generate more of our own money.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by julietm123: 10:38pm On Sep 17, 2017
Are you alright at all? Now I clearly understand the term yoruba muslims. You feel being yorubasta and a muslim you must always be critical of the Igbos or support whatever favors the north to validate your islamness.smh.
LIFEisSIMPLE:
It is the Nigerian governments way of reminding Ndigbo that they dont deserve equality.
To help clamp down on terrorism, they might consider slashing it down to 4 states
Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by Throwback: 10:44pm On Sep 17, 2017
States are not created for fun.

What is the land mass and population of the SE to merit even the 5states that it has?

Whoever said each region must have the same number of states, else why are some 6 states while one is 7 states?

So the real question is why was the SE needlessly partitioned into 5 states that is not merited?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by Nobody: 10:47pm On Sep 17, 2017
I think FG have to do something to it.
Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by julietm123: 10:49pm On Sep 17, 2017
What do you mean by how small the South East is. There are areas that were cut off from the southeast during state creation. I hope when people from Kwara and Kogi stat making noise about joining the south western you will remember your statement.
Creating additional state doesn't mean it has to be from the existing 5state. Anioma has been clamoring for state creation. I hope you know they are south easterners in the SS.
I have relatives in the SS,i mean Anioma and I think same can be said for a lot of Igbos. The Aniomas want to join their brethren in the South East. Being from Onitsha we are one people. We are umuezechima and we want our brethren in Anioma to join us in the south east.
maclatunji:

OP is blinded by tribalism. See how small the Southeast is, 5 states are too much sef.
Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by julietm123: 10:57pm On Sep 17, 2017
No wonder Lagos has 20lga and it means nothing to the yorubads.yorubad muslims have indeed finished the sw. If injustice must remain to please the northerners they have the yesman yorubasta muslims to do their dirty work.
I can bet you if yorubas agitate for more lgas, the Yoruba muslims are ready to shoot it down as far as that's what their masters up north wants. No wonder yakkasai was bold enough to say yoruba population is 65% muslim.smh
Throwback:
States are not created for fun.

What is the land mass and population of the SE to merit even the 5states that it has?

Whoever each region must have the same number of states, else why are some 6 states while one is 7 states?

So the real question is why was the SE needlessly partitioned into 5 states that is not merited?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by Throwback: 11:10pm On Sep 17, 2017
julietm123:
No wonder Lagos has 20lga and it means nothing to the yorubads.yorubad muslims have indeed finished the sw. If injustice must remain to please the northerners they have the yesman yorubasta muslims to do their dirty work.
I can bet you if yorubas agitate for more lgas, the Yoruba muslims are ready to shoot it down as far as that's what their masters up north wants. No wonder yakkasai was bold enough to say yoruba population is 65% muslim.smh

You have not said anything intelligent on this thread so far. Just the usual emotional outbursts, and tribal-religious bigotry.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by julietm123: 11:11pm On Sep 17, 2017
What about areas cut off during state creation? Egbemas are in river and delta states. I was even surprised that there are Igallas in Anambra.i also learnt the Igallas in Enugu state are agitating to join their brethren in Kogi. There must total state creation all over Nigeria. This is one of the problem here. People are forced to cohabit in the end you keep hearing complaint of marginalization. I remember when Odili wanted to contest presidency, the ijaws clearly called him an igbo man.quite all right, he is Igbo but from the Ss. He was rejected.
Few days ago, the presidency released a statement saying they gave igbos 2cashcow portfolio of petroleum minister and cbn Governor .yes they are Igbos but in the SS. We want all Igbos in the south east.
Nedfed:
Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by julietm123: 11:18pm On Sep 17, 2017
There is no emotional outburst here. I am just being realistic and truthful
OK, are you a muslim or a Christian?
See I have come to recognize yorubad muslims by their statements and heroworship of northerners. I can guess a yorubad muslim by their statement. I even hardly read comments from northerners or northern muslims on this forum.
Throwback:

You have not said anything intelligent on this thread so far. Just the usual emotional outbursts, and tribal-religious bigotry.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by julietm123: 11:26pm On Sep 17, 2017
This small population you are talking about is where. Is residents or south easterners generally? I don't agree with the population figure from the Npc.
The region must all have six /7states for equity,peace and justice.
Obi1kenobi:

And I'm still making the point that by far the smallest region with by far the smallest population having the least number of states is perfectly equitable. Your standards of equity seems to be every region having the same number of states regardless of size and population. That is not equitable to me. It makes sense that the Northern states with bigger populations and far bigger landmass (imagine how many kilometres of road you need to connect communities in Borno or Niger and compare it with a small state like Anambra) would have more states to ease the administrative complexity.
Secondly, this contradicts the restructuring quest. If we're truly serious about devolution of powers from the centre and true federalism with states as federating units and resource control and all that stuff, the campaign should be about viable administrative units and not creating more states. That would mean we're deceiving ourselves because what the state creation appeal would mean is that we're still looking for how to scrounge more "oyel money" from the Federal government instead of how we'll generate more of our own money.
Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by maclatunji: 11:41pm On Sep 17, 2017
julietm123:
What do you mean by how small the South East is. There are areas that were cut off from the southeast during state creation. I hope when people from Kwara and Kogi stat making noise about joining the south western you will remember your statement.
Creating additional state doesn't mean it has to be from the existing 5state. Anioma has been clamoring for state creation. I hope you know they are south easterners in the SS.
I have relatives in the SS,i mean Anioma and I think same can be said for a lot of Igbos. The Aniomas want to join their brethren in the South East. Being from Onitsha we are one people. We are umuezechima and we want our brethren in Anioma to join us in the south east.

Unlike you, I don't do tribal politics, Kwara and Kogi are in North Central. What makes you think Yoruba land doesn't extend into the North? Heck, it even extends beyond Nigeria.

The Southeast is a geographical expression and it is indeed the smallest geopolitical zone. If there are Igbos elsewhere, it would still not add to the land mass of the region.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Marginalisation: Why Does The South East Have 5 States. by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:44pm On Sep 17, 2017
julietm123:
This small population you are talking about is where. Is residents or south easterners generally? I don't agree with the population figure from the Npc.
The region must all have six /7states for equity,peace and justice.

All economic planning is based on residence. It wouldn't make any sense to be counting Igbos in Lagos or Kano or Jos or Abuja. The fact is the South East has by far the lowest population. If you don't agree with NPC, you can dig out the figures you find credible. Maybe next time, MASSOB shouldn't dissuade people from participating in census, like they foolishly did in the last census in 2006. That's typical emotional Igbos for you: all emotion and no rationality. And I say that as an Igbo man. It's the same foolishness that drives those agitating for boycott of elections today. When their impulsive, self-destructive actions backfire in their faces, they'll start crying "Marginalization! Marginalization!! Marginalization!!!".

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

See This Obvious Mistake Made On Presidency Twitter Handle / Festus Keyamo Drop A Bomb Again; I Drop My Hat.festus Keyamo Drops The Mother Of / I Had Seven One Night Stands In A Week And Its Exhausting - Woman Confessed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.