Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,204 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:38 PM

Firstbank Nigeria Sacks Over 1000 Contract Staff Via SMS/Phone Call - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Firstbank Nigeria Sacks Over 1000 Contract Staff Via SMS/Phone Call (1323 Views)

How To Check Union Bank Account Balance In Nigeria Via SMS, USSD Code & Online / Firstbank Mobile Banking Registration: Step-by-step Guide. (firstmobile) / Firstbank Nigeria Secretly Mass Sacking Staff (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Firstbank Nigeria Sacks Over 1000 Contract Staff Via SMS/Phone Call by Enddystar(m): 10:30pm On Sep 17, 2017
Nigeria’s premier financial institution, First Bank of Nigeria Limited, with its contractor, Whyte Cleon, has sacked over 1,000 workers via text messages and phone calls.

An investigation by THE NEXT EDITION newspaper revealed that the bank has been silently sacking staff across the country through short message service (SMS). popularly called text messages, and telephone calls.

The layoff, which started in August, is yet to abate as more and more staff keep receiving text messages indicating they no longer work for the bank.

One of the staff affected by the purge, Ade Michael, 33, said he was engaged by In-Sourcing Limited, located on 18, Keffi Street, Off Awolowo Way, Ikoyi, Lagos. The company is a subsidiary of the First Bank Group, and it commenced operations in Nigeria in July 2008.

The company was established to provide support staff solutions, first to the bank, and subsequently to the group and then to other businesses.

Barely months after it was established, the Managing Director, Debo Onabowale started recruiting staff for the FBNL.

Michael was one of the pioneer staff to be recruited by the HR solutions firm for the premier commercial bank.

The appointment letter, which was personally signed by Onabowale and dated November 7, 2008, was accompanied by a condition of service, which specified rewards and punishment, including grounds and processes of disengagement.

Part of the letter, which THE NEXT EDITION obtained, reads: “In line with our procedure, you will serve a probationary period of six months during which period we shall have the opportunity of assessing your compatibility with our organisation.

“During probation, the contract of employment may be terminated by either party subject to a notice of two weeks or payment in lieu.

“Your employment, including your probation period will be governed by the terms and conditions of service, a copy of which will be provided to you.

“Any amendments or additions thereto from time to time will be advised to you in accordance with the company’s policies.”

With that, Michael was posted to the Business Development Manager, First Bank of Nigeria Limited, Osogbo Branch, 152 Station Road Osogbo, Osun State.

Another employee affected by the purge, who gave her name simply as Ngozi, said she was posted to FBNL in Umuahia, Abia State after In-Sourcing recruited her.

According to her, her appointment was confirmed in August 2010 after she met the compulsory probation requirement.

While Michael put nine years in the service of the bank, Ngozi served for eight years before they both got the boot on Friday, August 4, 2017.

Michael told THE NEXT EDITION that he attended the branch’s performance evaluation meeting that Friday morning and after a fruitful day at work, went home for the weekend.

“I was just about going to see a friend when an SMS entered my phone and when I opened it, what I saw almost knocked me over,” he said.

“It was one of the most devastating text messages I have ever received. I could not think straight. My heart sank, my legs wobbled and momentarily, I lost the sense of time and place.”

The 36-word text message, which ended the careers of over 1,000 Nigerians in the FBN and added them to the ever-growing ranks of jobless persons in the country reads: “Dear colleagues, this message supersedes the earlier message sent by us.

“You are hereby withdrawn from the services of Whyte Cleon Ltd. Effective immediately, 7th August 2017. For further clarification, please contact the office. Thank you.”

While many got text messages and calls from their homes long after work hours, others reported for duty and found they can no longer sign into their systems.

They were humiliated and walked out of the bank premises by private security guards.

This newspaper found that majority of the affected staff put in between five and 10 years in the service of the FBNL before they were thrown out in a most brazen manner.

The most affected are those recruited as front tellers, account and clearing support officers, customer service officers and marketing associate
Re: Firstbank Nigeria Sacks Over 1000 Contract Staff Via SMS/Phone Call by fistonati(m): 10:50pm On Sep 17, 2017
trademark of buharis government.
Re: Firstbank Nigeria Sacks Over 1000 Contract Staff Via SMS/Phone Call by sabackson2004(f): 2:47am On Sep 18, 2017
Its wicked really

(1) (Reply)

Ten Reasons Why Nigerian Police Is The Best In Africa. / General Issues : No Light! / At What Stage Does A Start Up Cease To Become A Start Up

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.