Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,259 members, 7,815,413 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:56 AM

Simple Four-hour Flight Descends Into 33-hour Trip From Hell - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Simple Four-hour Flight Descends Into 33-hour Trip From Hell (775 Views)

Niger Air Space Closure Fall Out: British Airways Forced On 10-Hour ‘Flight / My Four-hour Flight From Abuja To Benin / Air Peace 14-Hour Flight To China, Breaks Nigerian Aviation's Record (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Simple Four-hour Flight Descends Into 33-hour Trip From Hell by SageTravels: 3:07pm On Sep 18, 2017
Hell hath no fury like a plane full of people whose quick flight turned into a-day-and-a-half-long nightmare.

On Tuesday, a four-hour trek from London to Athens spiralled into 33 hours of chaos for British Airways passengers, the Evening Standard reports.

The saga began Tuesday at Heathrow Airport when a 1:15 p.m. flight was cancelled due to a faulty cockpit light.

It was rescheduled for 5 p.m. Passengers boarded the vessel and all seemed good to go until — at the last minute — the airline realized the flight would put all cabin crew members over their maximum permitted working hours.

The pilot of that flight reportedly said, “[This is] the most embarrassing PA [public address] announcement I have had to make.”

Worse still, passengers had to wait another hour before disembarking from the plane, due to “security” issues.

The airline did at least give the inconvenienced travelers vouchers for a free night’s stay in a London hotel. They were told to return to the airport the following day to fly out.

On Wednesday, the tired travelers arrived for their third flight. It took off around 1:40 p.m — but moments later, six loud bangs reverberated throughout the cabin and the plane began to shudder. The starboard engine had just caught fire.

“I’m an atheist but even I was praying,” passenger Geoff Lye tells the Evening Standard. “Our hearts were racing. Passengers behind me said they could see flames kicking out from the engine.”

The plane’s captain got on the speaker system to assure passengers everything was under control. The plane safely landed, with a fire truck waiting on the runway.

The fourth time was the charm, it seems. Six hours later, at 7:40 that night, the fourth plane departed London and reached Athens early the following morning.

A representative from British Airways told The Post: “The safety of our customers and crew is always our priority and our highly trained engineers are investigating what happened. We organized a replacement flight to get customers to their final destination as quickly as possible and we are sorry for the delay to their journeys.”

https://www.sagetravels.com/see-how-4-hour-british-airways-flight-turned-into-33-hour-trip/
Re: Simple Four-hour Flight Descends Into 33-hour Trip From Hell by SageTravels: 3:09pm On Sep 18, 2017
seun, lalasticlala, mynd44, Justwise If this kind of thing happens in Nigeria, Twitter will be on Fire

Re: Simple Four-hour Flight Descends Into 33-hour Trip From Hell by eezeribe(m): 3:10pm On Sep 18, 2017
If it happens in Nigeria,trust Nigerians and their low level of civilization... They won't mind carrying out Jungle justice on the Pilot.
Re: Simple Four-hour Flight Descends Into 33-hour Trip From Hell by SageTravels: 3:17pm On Sep 18, 2017
SageTravels:

“I’m an atheist but even I was praying,” passenger Geoff Lye tells the Evening Standard. “Our hearts were racing. Passengers behind me said they could see flames kicking out from the engine.”

https://www.sagetravels.com/see-how-4-hour-british-airways-flight-turned-into-33-hour-trip/

grin grin grin grin That's why I laugh when I see people argue Tithes and Offerings on Nairaland. After Paying Tithe in the Church, they will come to Nairaland and be forming cossy
Re: Simple Four-hour Flight Descends Into 33-hour Trip From Hell by Homeboiy: 3:38pm On Sep 18, 2017
ok
Re: Simple Four-hour Flight Descends Into 33-hour Trip From Hell by 2O17: 7:32pm On Sep 18, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Inside The World’s Largest Star-rated Flying Restaurant / Can I Marry Marry My Fiancee Who Visited Nigeria With Visiting/ Tourist Visa / Golden Tulip Opens In Oniru Victoria Island

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.