Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:23 AM

CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions (6476 Views)

CBN Sells Dollars To Banks For First Time In 5 Months / CAC To Delist Over 91,000 Companies Over Infractions / FG Moves To Digitise FX Transactions To Punish Naira Speculators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by Truth234(m): 4:04am On Sep 19, 2017
The Central Bank of Nigeria on Monday threatened to sanction any Deposit Money Bank found in breach of its earlier directive of March 3, 2017 instructing them to, among other things, open teller points for retail forex transactions and to have electronic display boards in all their branches, showing rates of all trading currencies.

This is even as the apex bank sustained its intervention in the various sectors of the inter-bank foreign exchange market with the injection of $545m.

A circular issued by the CBN warned that it would mete out stiff regulatory sanctions to banks that failed to comply fully with the directive by October 13, 2017.

The circular, signed by the Director, Banking Supervision, CBN, Ahmad Abdullahi, stressed that the apex bank would bar errant DMBs from all future CBN foreign exchange interventions.

The CBN had in March directed banks and authorised dealers to open teller points for retail forex transactions (PTA/BTA and SME), including buying and selling, in all locations in order to ensure access to foreign exchange by their customers and other users without any hindrance.

The March circular also directed the DMBs to have electronic display boards in all their branches, showing rates of all trading currencies, which it urged customers to insist on in processing their foreign exchange transactions and the SME window.

While noting that the objective was aimed at creating awareness among members of the public regarding the availability of such facilities in branches of the banks at clearly disclosed prices, the CBN frowned on the banks for not fully complying with its directives.

Accordingly, the CBN has given the errant banks a four-week period, expiring on October 13, 2017, to fully comply with its directives or face regulatory sanctions, which it noted would include but not limited to being barred from all future foreign exchange interventions by the apex bank.

Giving a breakdown of the bank’s latest forex injection, the Acting Director, Corporate Communications, CBN, Isaac Okorafor, stated that the retail Secondary Market Intervention Sales received the largest intervention of $285m.

Other components of the released figures include the $100m offered for wholesale SMIS, $90m for the SMEs window and $70m for ‘invisibles’ such as Basic Travel Allowances, tuition fees and medical payments.

According to Okorafor, the amount released underscored the CBN’s commitment to ensure a liquid interbank foreign exchange market, where all genuine requests will be met in line with extant forex guidelines.

The CBN spokesperson expressed optimism that with the accretion to the nation’s foreign reserves, the bank would continue to fulfil its mandate of safeguarding the international value of the legal tender, adding that the management remained optimistic about achieving a convergence between the forex rates at both the inter-bank and Bureau De Change segments.

http://investorsking.com/cbn-punish-banks-forex-infractions/

1 Like

Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by HeWrites(m): 7:13am On Sep 19, 2017
FTC

3 in a row tongue
Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by RealZizou(m): 7:13am On Sep 19, 2017
Wow...second in command,well today is my happiest day cuz am celebrating my mum birthday today...Am using this thread to wish her all the good things of life and she will reap the fruit of her labour...I love u momma
Pls help me hit likes for her smiley smiley smiley

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by webincomeplus(m): 7:15am On Sep 19, 2017
Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by Nobody: 7:16am On Sep 19, 2017
And the bank will punish their customers in return. Make una go ahead. I'm sure you watching..

Check my signature
Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by Cooladex(m): 7:16am On Sep 19, 2017
Long overdue

Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by Naijashortcode(m): 7:16am On Sep 19, 2017
Very nice.
Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by MrGreenMavro: 7:17am On Sep 19, 2017
h
Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by drizslim(m): 7:17am On Sep 19, 2017
One day , My comment will come on top. I will show it to My university teacher, who said that I can't achieve anything in my life.

7 Likes

Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by gaetano: 7:22am On Sep 19, 2017
Ooooh! So that means Gtbank will be deducting money anyhow now
Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by EugeneGee4(m): 7:23am On Sep 19, 2017
Good move, they should also make sure they have dollars intact and not sell it to Aboki or hoard it....making it a scarce commodity thereby inflating it again....thank you CBN
Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by Innoxxacs: 7:24am On Sep 19, 2017
That is what they do
Bark!!- Bark! Bark! Bark!! And yet

Do nothing sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by LoveJesus87(m): 7:27am On Sep 19, 2017
grin
Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by vicdom(m): 7:28am On Sep 19, 2017
it seems the mods are high on cow dung this morning, this duplication have been on FP for over 30mins now and no one wants to get it rightly put

2 Likes

Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by Moreoffaith(m): 7:29am On Sep 19, 2017
Lols
Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by Darkseid(m): 7:32am On Sep 19, 2017
Does it mean that GTB will reverse their rate to #320 per dollar, if not, make dem carry their punishment swerve.
I didn't understand the first paragraph so I didn't bother to read the rest. OP abeg summarize for those of us wey no go school.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by FILEBE(m): 7:35am On Sep 19, 2017
is this how happy the mod is that he has to pushed this to front page twice? well, whatever will make Nigeria a better place , pls let us continue doing them. One Nigeria
Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by Nbote(m): 7:37am On Sep 19, 2017
Re: CBN To Punish Banks For Forex Infractions by 400billionman: 10:36am On Sep 19, 2017
Okay..

(1) (Reply)

New Refinary At Akwa Ibom Completed? Good News! / Help! Problem Confirming Access Visa Card Paypal Nigeria / 51 Businesses To Start With 100k-500k In Nigeria (2023 Updated)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.