Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,810,014 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:44 PM

Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars (15096 Views)

Accidented Or High Mileage Cars. Which Are Better? / Accidented Cars From Cotonou / Are Accidented Cars Really Bad Deals? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 8:39pm On Mar 19, 2010
@Invincible!
You have made a very good observation; there are some of us - me for instance - the taste of cars I like are way too expensive for any reasonable budget at this point in time, hence one buying same model (and maybe few years off).

I like the 2010 S Class for instance BUT you don't drive out of that shop in it except you have 23M - Now, that's 7 units of 2 bedroom bungalows on 3 plots right there.

So, at times, its a matter of priority.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Busybody2(f): 8:49pm On Mar 19, 2010
cont'd

Then you have those wailing like a deranged banshee that

* dealers should state if cars being sold are accidented (duh, didn't Seun make Vin number mandatory to serve that purpose already?

*that cars should be sold with Vin (again duh, not only did Seun make it compulsory for all dealers in TOKS cars to display their VIN number, he also gave Nairalanders free rein to harass dealers who don't display these numbers, so what else do these people freaking want? )

*another dumb**** again was asking that people that sell preorder cars should send brochure and picture of what theis intended buyers are getting as if these buyers are 3 years old who don't know they need to see pix of what they are paying for.

And like Seun decreed and Emperor mentioned, naija used cars for sale don't need vin numbers cos even if it comes with a clean title from wherever it is coming from, if it gets involved in 6 accidents in naija in 3 months, whose to know? Nigeria as it is don't keep records, and besides the ridiculously low prices these naija used cars exchange hands for, is enough for buyers to know that they are dealing with a caveat emptor situation.

And back to you Onwan with your vociferous stance that car dealers on here should let buyers be aware beforehand whether the car they are selling is a Nigerian rebuilt, again, the VIN is succinct enough to state this and not once has any vin check on this site revealed any car being sold as "shipped as spares", so why almost 90% of your post on this thread keeps going on and on and on like a broken record is beyond me.

So far on Nairaland, only Bacononline has toyed with the idea of directly selling repairable salvaged cars and getting it fixed before having it shipped down to Nigeria, so this thread as a whole serves no purpose whatsoever.

PEOPLE BUY SALVAGE CARS OUTTA CHOICE.

NO NAIRALAND DEALERS SELLS CARS AS NIGERIAN REBUILT.

CAR BUYERS INCLUDING PRE ORDER CUSTOMERS ARE OLD ENOUGH TO REQUEST BEFOREHAND FOR PICTURES AND DETAILS OF THE CARS THEY WANT TO PURCHASE.

IT IS MANDATORY ON NAIRALAND FOR ALL CARS IMPORTED INTO THE COUNTRY TO DISPLAY THE VIN ALONGSIDE THE ADVERT.

THESE 4 HIGHLIGHTED REASONS ABOVE IS WHY THIS THREAD HAS BEEN GOING BACK AND FORTH WITH EVERYONE TRYING TO FLOG A DEAD DONKEY.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 8:54pm On Mar 19, 2010
shocked Wow, signs of intimacy issues right there
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Busybody2(f): 9:06pm On Mar 19, 2010
@onwan

My name suits me, wow thanks for this gem of acknowledgement, what a revelation from the department of the bleeding obvious. Now do you want a cookie to go with that, *rolls eyes*

As for your "pass me in the street comment" perish the thought of that ever happening, sorry to burst your bubble, i don't roll with ignorant oinks like you.

And as for your drowning rat clutching at straws explanation that you were not condemning Naija mechanics, please save your preaching to the choir. Your posts concerning your snubbish stance on what you think of them is still there, as plain as the nose on your face. And if you can't even "get" your own posts, biko, i suggest you steer clear of the English Language, its clear comprehension is not a strong forte of yours.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by ib612(m): 9:15pm On Mar 19, 2010
I think Onwan is not feeling good about what George_D said about some dealers who  he claims to know that sell cars that are titled salvaged as clean title cars. That's understandable. I should also like to know those dealers. One thing is this, clean title can not be chaged to salvaged or vis-a-vis. May be George meant accidented repaired cars sold as non-accidented cars.

For clearity sake, salvaged titled may be clean or better than some of those clean title cars. The appendages of title is relative or more or less determined by an individual in his own capacity working for an auto insurance company. Afterall, i've driven a car in 9ja and entered a ditch that damaged one of the engine mount. I only changed the engine mount.

Anyone can mention that a car is clean, be it salvage or clean or non-repairable title. It does not changed the performance of the vehicle.

A clean title car might have been in an accident before and may not be declared so by all these auto-check. Trust me, there are thousands of them like that all over and not only in 9ja alone.

When you desire a car and you have a limited fund for that your dream car, a dealer with experience will tell you what you'll be able to get; be it salvage or clean title. What comes to mind is how best can money be saved. There are people who buy a Maybach salvage for $80,000 while a clean title may costs you 5 times that much.

The watch word is what type of vehicle are you buying for your clients. The use of the word accidented  or clean title cars have nothing to do with what you'll get as a quality used car. Becareful what you buy!

I recently bought a vehicle of $25,000 titled non-repairable (that's it can't be used in N/America)  that has nothing at all wrong with the performance of the vehicle in anyways, other than it has a bullet on a door and glass. This same car will costs $110,000 if it were salvage or clean title. And mind you all, there are salvaged titled cars that costs $200 - 300,000. Accident is a common thing on the road.

Clean title, salvage title or non-repairable title has nothing to do with what you'll get if the car in question is flawed.

I've seen a dealer on this forum declare the car with it's pix of the accident to an impending buyer; i don't see anything wrong with that.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Busybody2(f): 9:20pm On Mar 19, 2010
OH THE IRONY

iNVISIBLE posts about threads going round and round in circles, and what was our brilliant Lecturer Onwan's response - goes off on one about his expensive tastes in cars, sorry oh Mr-money-miss-road, i see, no wonder you were rubbishing GeorgeD's purchase as cheap. Shior.

Anyway sorry to rain on your parade, if you wanna keep on making a nuisance of yourself like a market woman from the village on this thread, wetin be my own, abeg carry go with whatever floats your boat. I NO FIT SHOUT.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 9:21pm On Mar 19, 2010
@Busy_Body
Your off-the-point comments show how empty you are. I don't need to go on with someone who believes he has a standard in the report as long as he justifies it to himself.

I would only wish IF IT WERE TRUE, the names of dealers involved in any of those claimed acts should be mentioned, and since that was not the case, then its all good.

If that's not simple enough for you to understand, then I guess I cant make it clearer.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 9:23pm On Mar 19, 2010
@Busy_Body
I can defend my posts, and as for my taste in vehicles, its totally my business - whats yours? - Oh I forgot, you are as jobless as your name claims.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 9:24pm On Mar 19, 2010
Will take this back but you need to read through a thread and respond intelligently or buzz off.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Busybody2(f): 9:40pm On Mar 19, 2010
@IB612

Re, your last paragraph, like i said earlier, all toks cars advertised for sale on Nairaland has to have their VIN number displayed, including toks cars on the ground as well as pre-ordered cars, and so far - apart from when i had to gently remind self-appointed VIN Sheriff Oyenit after if listed a toks car without vin, after 12 days and counting, that he didn't have two heads and should comply with Seun's command about vin display - no dealer has ever advertised a car without this numbers, SO WHY OPEN A THREAD TO SLANDER AND ACCUSE PEOPLE OF WHAT THEY ARE NOT DOING?

And as to the main person GEORGE has a personal vendetta against, he always supplies the VIN number whenever he puts up a TOKS car for sale, SO WHAT MAGNANIMOUS CRIME HAS THIS FELLOW COMMITTED? HIS NAIJA USED CARS WHICH DON'T CARRY VIN NUMBERS IS OFTENTIMES ONE OF THE MOST RIDICULOUSLY CHEAPEST PRICED CARS ON NL, SO WHAT GIVES?

IF PEOPLE WANTS ALL CARS TO LIST THEIR VIN NUMBERS IN THEIR ADVERT, LET THEM TAKE THEIR PETITION TO SEUN NA, AFTERALL HE DOESN'T BITE, ABI ! ! !
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by gestapo(f): 9:48pm On Mar 19, 2010
I shall not fold my hands as the chief sanitation officer of this auto section / moderators watchdog committee chair-lady and watch this outright insanity persist.
George_d, you have made substantive allegation about some/a dealer(s) and i request you to name any dealer(s) you have had fraudulent mis representations from, it is not enough to generalize fraudulent accusations and go away with it, failure to pin point or name names, I would recommend you to the admin for ban.

We have labored so much for this auto section in my capacity as the head sanitation officer, we have nabbed / chased away many dealers and sellers for posting used cars as brand new ones, blotting out vin numbers shortly after adverts, fake adverts, fake shipments etc.
We have zero tolerance for fraud on this section and we shall not relent in making sure that buyers get exactly what is described and the standards of how goods are described are met

Your time starts now.

Cheers

G
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 9:55pm On Mar 19, 2010
@Gestapo
Its a very big issue actually, BUT from what I have seen from George_D, I think its simply out of fear of such transaction that he mentioned it AND NOT that he had bought a lemon car online here on nairaland.

I cannot see him doing it to spite any particular dealer simply because he did not mention any names even after all our posts. I may be wrong, but I strongly feel that way.

I believe that for someone to come online here as a dealer - their foremost will be to get good references; like the Ayodeji guy - someone dedicated a whole thread to him and I never saw any negatives on that thread.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Busybody2(f): 9:58pm On Mar 19, 2010
@onwan

Wow, now you have shifted gear "to all you were about on this thread was for GeorgeD to name the culprit in his allegation" Wow.

Who are you trying to be slick with? Between you and i, who has been making off the point contribution on this thread? My friend berra go and cover your face in shame and go and learn to connect the dot and get yourself a brain transplant whilst you are at it.

Even GeorgeD whose mantra on this thread has been "salvage car should be a no-no" still has more people backing him than you with your bandwidth wasting epistles about overseas rebuilt balderdash, so need i spell it out to you about what that says about your level of intelligence? Shior.

And what if i choose not to buzz off the thread, WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT EHN CRY-BABY.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 10:04pm On Mar 19, 2010
@Busy_Body
What is important here is not just me, you or George_D, its the importers, the dealers and us the buyers; that's why I'm particular about the thread, not about George_D (as a matter of fact, he was not even there on the thread from the scratch)

I know how denting those allegations can be to dealers and importers (IF names are mentioned) and how nice it will be to have any such dealer exposed - because its a lot of money for an average toks here on nairaland.

The mission is to increase seller's confidence to keep it real, AND the buyer's confidence to shop with ease.

If George actually had names, I know he would have mentioned.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by gestapo(f): 10:05pm On Mar 19, 2010
Onwan:

@Gestapo
Its a very big issue actually, BUT from what I have seen from George_D, I think its simply out of fear of such transaction that he mentioned it AND NOT that he had bought a lemon car online here on nairaland.

I cannot see him doing it to spite any particular dealer simply because he did not mention any names even after all our posts. I may be wrong, but I strongly feel that way.

I believe that for someone to come online here as a dealer - their foremost will be to get good references; like the Ayodeji guy - someone dedicated a whole thread to him and I never saw any negatives on that thread.

My stance still stands and heads must roll, and i wonder why you're suddenly making a turn around now, it leaves me to add you onto my radar, and i want to assure you that it wont be a good experience.

Its either George_d name names or gets banned, there is no negotiation about that. the silly idea that he has not consummated a transaction with a dealer or seller holds no water, if indeed there was a mis representation of fraudulent practice from any seller or dealer on here, the culprit must be exposed, If it was just an innocent generalization then he must pay for carelessly spewing garbage.

Injustice to one is an injustice to all.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Seun(m): 10:09pm On Mar 19, 2010
Recycling is better for the environment. Sigh.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 10:12pm On Mar 19, 2010
@Gestapo
I'm right here.

And its funny, you never contributed a bit when I was insisting he mention names. Anyways, I cant see any names from him because he has clearly not bought any vehicle from nairaland OR know anyone who has given him any names.

I believe people learn by asking or at times assertions, the important thing is to be corrected and understand that fact.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Busybody2(f): 10:26pm On Mar 19, 2010
Chei, Nigeria is undergoing serious potential crisis with alquida releasing a video that the Muslims in the North should rise against the Christians in the South because they have allowed themselves to be tools for the Western world, and we have Col Gaddafi, adding his own two cents too, and the Biafrans have started threatening the Deltans, Cameroon and co that they are descendants of Israel in the Bible and wanna claim back their land . . .

ALQUEDA, in the bid to save on landmine costs have had Mallams and abokis shipped to lagos state in their millions to start driving okadas erratically in a bid to cut off and main as many people's limbs as possible (if in doubt, check igbobi hospital)

AND I AM HERE DISCUSSING SALVAGE CARS WITH ONWAN WHO KEEPS SHIFTING THE GOALPOST AND CAN'T MAKE UP HIS WISHY-WASHY MIND WHETHER HE IS COMING OR GOING, LOL.

Abeg, onwan i dash you the thread, make i go secure the little possession i have for yabaleft, lol.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by WALOP: 10:26pm On Mar 19, 2010
The best you can do is to provide a free service for buyers to make a better choice by giving them FREE CARFAX checking facility, so that buyers can text the chasis number of the car the want to buy and you reply by telling the true state of the car from America but mind you most nigerians will still buy regardless of the result.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by gestapo(f): 10:30pm On Mar 19, 2010
Seun:

Recycling is better for the environment.  Sigh.

Its done everywhere in the world, even in government parastatals, case of George Bush Snr vs George Bush Jnr  grin grin

Onwan:

@Gestapo
I'm right here.

And its funny, you never contributed a bit when I was insisting he mention names. Anyways, I cant see any names from him because he has clearly not bought any vehicle from nairaland OR know anyone who has given him any names.

I believe people learn by asking or at times assertions, the important thing is to be corrected and understand that fact.

I have carefully studied this thread from the onset, and you have not made any reasonable point thus far, one minute you were in a factory where SL55 are being torn apart, the next minute your friends bio-gas range rover was rolled over and rebuilt, and the next hour  anyone that drives nissans or hondas are low life a$$holes and just shortly after that, you have just bought a local rebuilt SL 55 again for 2.3m. shocked shocked shocked

cut the crap man, long before you joined or better rephrased as long before you registered this new user name, we have thrashed the issue of salvaged, rebuilt, accident ed, re possessed, Nigerian used, brand new titles, we even placed a sticky thread up there as a memento of the resolution.

All in all its a buyers beware market.

salvaged cars are not taboos

vin should be displayed along with adverts

buyers should perform independent checks

Sellers should give full disclosure.

All these a fore mentioned are not ambiguous enough and shouldn't have taken these waste of space or engage grown up men in silly banters.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Busybody2(f): 10:31pm On Mar 19, 2010
@walop
you mean people have been charging those who wanted their VIN checks all there while, whilst pretending they have been doing it free? I AM IN SHOCK, HEADS MUST SURELY ROLL.

But this would have to wait, make i go pack my possession for yaba, as per i be "omo ijoba" those mallams might decide to test us with their suicide bombs first, who knows, so i can't take that chance, off to our underground bunkers, lol.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 10:35pm On Mar 19, 2010
@Busy_Body
I really don't know what you expect from me. If you have a satellite or something for getting those names, then please use it because I know IF anyone has spent  a million buying a car and encounters a problem, he or she will report it - I can assure you.

There is something we are missing out here; What if a buyer sees a car (either from a seller's online show room or from an independent dealer overseas) and only asks a dealer to buy and ship on his/her behalf - who's responsibility is it?
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Busybody2(f): 10:40pm On Mar 19, 2010
Oponu ni gestapo yi sha, won wi iru (condiment) o nwi iru (tail) O ma se o, some mothers do have them indeed.

@ Seun

Oh ye of short memory, already forgotten how they previously twisted your arms till you gave in to them by blatantly stating to your face that you were aiding and abetting criminally minded autodealers by keeping schtum over the VIN or no vin matter then?

Remember your naija pipu and their self-serving short memory and collective amnesia, ok oh, RECYCLE at your own peril.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Busybody2(f): 10:47pm On Mar 19, 2010
@gestapo

My post addressed to you is in response to your response to Seun's comment.

Who made a "jero" like you Chief Sanitisation Officer, oops forgot i was in the blind leading the blind territory, lol
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Busybody2(f): 10:58pm On Mar 19, 2010
Onwan

In response to paragraph one, yes my nomenclature is Busybody but sorry i don't tittle-tattle, lol, so you'd have to ask GeorgeD who i bet is wetting himself to do the honours, when you see him.

Re paragraph 2, again you would have to ask Pre-order dealers and buyers if any transactions have gone wrong or not and their contingency plan of dealing with it.
Sorry, i couldn't be of any help.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 11:06pm On Mar 19, 2010
@Busy Body
Cool response; BUT I was not asking for your help, just presenting a scenario for consideration, to the house.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Busybody2(f): 11:30pm On Mar 19, 2010
^^^
Not surprised that one flew over the cuckoo's nest or is it his head, again. *typical*

And yes i know Nigerian Women have no say in any matter and have to do as they are told, but i am still a part of "this house" so technically even though my Husband has got the remote control to my voice and set it to mute, you are addressing me too, as i can still hear, lol.

Biko goodnight and thanks for the er. . . er. . . *coughing* brain workout,
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 1:02am On Mar 20, 2010
I'd stick to the thread, its why we are here.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by atise: 12:03pm On Mar 20, 2010
Waoh!! i have followed this thread closely, watching keenly the banters b/w Onwan and George D, then Onwan and Busybody. And now Gestapo jumps into the fray.

The auto section remains one of my favourite sections becos i beleive that rules are enforced here to mantain good seller and customer relationship![quote author=gestapo link=topic=406455.msg5727338#msg5

All in all its a buyers beware market.

salvaged cars are not taboos

vin should be displayed along with adverts

buyers should perform independent checks

Sellers should give full disclosure.

All these a fore mentioned are not ambiguous enough and shouldn't have taken these waste of space or engage grown up men in silly banters.

[quote][/quote]

the above rules are clear. I find it reprehensible that someone would say that an auto trader selling an accidented car to a buyer as a non accidented car is ok! embarassed

George D is right. FULL DISCLOSURE is the key. tell the buyer if the car is accidented, salvaged, clean, flooded, rolled over, what ever. let him get the info and decide. honesty and forthrightness are irreplaceable qualities of any business man. And that is why i will always hold dealers like Fheemmy, German007, Kunle-A, to mention but a few who boldly tell you all you need to know about their cars.

Although i wonder sha why they have been quiet so far in this arguement ( except for Fheemy),
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 12:54pm On Mar 20, 2010
@Atise
It shouldn't be a big deal, BUT it becomes a big deal IF you claim you know dealers on nairaland that are fraudsters BUT refuse to mention names.

My own opinion is that IF you cant mention any names, you don't have any case, and IF INDEED such people exist and you don't want to expose them, you are then being very unfair to us all.
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by GeorgeD1(m): 2:58pm On Mar 20, 2010
@busybody!!!
you don come here again?  grin you disappointed me last time ooooo! i waited for you in that lounge for hours but no show. so heartless of you for standing me up!  kiss

@onwan,
your being so impossible but keep rolling. i like people who argue for the sake of it. sometimes as bad as it gets, you still learn a thing or two from their tenacity-even if their efforts seem channeled in the wrong direction.

@atise,
thanks. i couldn't have said it better. you highlighted in a few bullet points what i been trying to say all along. what is so difficult to understand here?

@gestapo,
i feel you. your pose isn't bad, though!  wink
Re: Nigerians Should Say No To Accidented Cars by Onwan: 5:06pm On Mar 20, 2010
@George_D
Oh now you're back.

Well, its just the way you see things. Anyways, you need to keep off those claims of "fraudsters you know" to ease off tension and enable people buy what they will and enjoy services from our dealers and importers.

Has your Toyota come in yet?, Kunle-A is working at a BMW I saw on craigslist.org for me. Its nice to know one can browse and see a car you like and then have a dealer here get it for you.

His charges makes a lot of sense too.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Transmission Car / 5 Likely Causes For An Overheating Car Engine / UK Government Wants Every New Home To Come With An EV Charger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.